S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Slalom Cone Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Slalom Cone Skating Forum Discussions about slalom cone skating, high-jump, and other freestyle trick skating. (Note that vert, street, and park skating discussions should be posted in our aggressive skating forum.)

Old December 28th, 2016, 08:46 PM   #1
thesavo

Default Mixing brands of wheels

I have a new set of Rollerblade Twister 80. They are such a step up from my second-hand K2 Exo's. They have 85a/80mm. I have read many posts, and rockering them for slalom is the way to go. How bad is it to mix wheel brands?

I figured I would replace the 1st and 4th with LABEDA/ASPHALT brand 85a/76mm wheels. I can get four of them at HockeyGiant for less than $30.

http://www.hockeygiant.com/labeda-gr...rolhocw16.html
thesavo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2017, 07:05 AM   #2
Oicusk82huh
Skating 35 years

Sounds great. They both have the same hardness, so there should really be no problems. Several months ago I found some $1.00 wheels at a local ice rink and bought those. They were soft, so I used them as the middle two wheels but kept my 85a's on the outside. I felt that the softer wheels effected my speed, but I'm not so militant anymore about wheels. As long as the wheels are rockered, (or your frame) you'll have great control and ease with maneuverability.

I think most skaters are used to the constant transition of wheels. I must say that getting new wheels feels awesome. Have fun.
Oicusk82huh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2017, 06:54 PM   #3
thesavo

I just did this last night. I can't wait to try them out tomorrow.
Now I have another problem.
I had an issue getting the bearings out of the OEM RB twister wheels. The spacers are different than I'm used to. My 3-way tool didn't seem to work. I used a small Slotted screwdriver to push one out. I nicked the side shield on them. Is that something that just flatten out as they are used?
Old January 7th, 2017, 07:07 AM   #4
Oicusk82huh
Skating 35 years

Ohhhh, bummer. Don't worry, as long as you can hold the bearing and it still turns the way a wheel would, then I wouldn't be too concerned with some nicks. As long as your wheels are rolling...

Yeah, generally speaking I just use my Allen Key and wedge it into the middle of the wheel somewhere and then start banging it on the floor until something happens. I've been doing this for quite a few years and have had no major issues, just a few nicks on the shield occasionally (which never seems to be a problem).
Oicusk82huh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2017, 07:48 PM   #5
thesavo

It was some operator error. I put my OE wheels back in and they free spun just fine. I think the issue might be that the new wheel hubs are tighter on the bearing than the OEM wheels. The bearings press in to the OEM hub a lot easier than the new one. Also when I swapped the new wheels back in, they spun much better.

Tags
wheels