S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum Discussions about roller dancing, jamskating, rexing, rink session skating, dance circle skating, and similar types of recreational indoor and outdoor skate dancing .

Old January 3rd, 2017, 10:48 AM   #1101
Derrick

Default Snook one in at Auburn

My visit with Dad was short. So I snook over to the Skatin Station. Took it real easy and had a wonderful time. Love, love, love their floor. The bite does take a little off a spin though. But edge deep as you please. Although it's really small. The inner oval is only about 7 feet accross, the art circles extend beyond the center. I only got in an hour and a half, but that was enough for a sneak in. Auburn skaters are always so nice.
Old January 6th, 2017, 05:26 PM   #1102
Derrick

Default slow skating at Eastlake

My occasional backache has returned. Along with leg pain, arches cramping, upper neck pain. Geeeezzzz! I'm a mess.

So I took it real easy for the second session in a row. Did some nice spins early, then they just fell appart.

Session ended 15 minutes early. The Dj wanted to fly his drone. Just didn't quite get my fix. I'll need dual 4 hour sessions this weekend.
Old January 7th, 2017, 05:25 PM   #1103
Gee

Default First Friday at Cherry Hill

There seems to be a problem with the floor. I could feel every crack on the floor. It becomes less noticeable when skating on one foot over a firm edge. I had a good time and got to skate around in my speed skates. Near the end of the session, I had worn a small hole in the thin left insole. Next time I use my speed skates, instead of wearing insoles with a custom half length orthotics, I am going to try this custom full length orthotics.

Old January 7th, 2017, 11:17 PM   #1104
Derrick

Default Game back in at Roller Dome North

Skated 3 hours. Spins back on, less pain. Only a couple of jumps though, too much traffic. My friend Tony wanted the Dj to play a bunch if seventies stuff. He wanted me to request some as well. Then he got mad at the dj for cutting his songs short. I'm like, I like and you like it but there is 100 other people here. He wanted me to complain to management. I went to management and told them that Tony is crazy.
Old January 8th, 2017, 05:07 PM   #1105
Kassus

Default Twin Lakes

FINALLY made it back up to our rink in the next state over last night (it's about a 30-mile drive each way; normally I enjoy the drive but not so much when it's 0F outside).

Anyway, had a fantastic time as I knew we would. My favorite DJ wasn't there so the music was "meh" at best (and they don't do requests - it was the owner's daughter.. when the owner is there, I have to admit that he spoils us).

It had been a while since either of us had skated there and it showed at first; our normal rink has a coated plywood floor which is really slick and is huge. This rink is about half the size but it's a hardwood floor and I'm in love with it.. I can skate faster, cut the groups, etc., much easier.

I received not one, but two compliments from my shuffle skating friend last night (and he is an excellent skater so anything that comes out of his mouth like that actually means something). The first was that he said that I skate MUCH faster at Twin Lakes. I thought it was just because the floor was smaller, but he gave me an actual demonstration and when I saw the difference with my own two eyes I was like... "wow, I did that?" haha..

The second was after session; I was checking out the set-up of his daughter's new skates and made a remark about how instead of wearing my trucks really loose I just go with really soft cushions. He took and looked at the bottom of one of my skates and turned them and was like.. "%$#&@!!! How do you skate on those things? The cushions are so soft, how are you not all over the place?!" I was like... "I AM all over the place; that's kind of the point."

Good times.. can't wait to get back
Kassus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2017, 11:05 PM   #1106
Binky BoomBoom

Smile What knee pads do you recommend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slhallford View Post
I posted in the art forum yesterday. Got taken out by a psycho teen art skate wannabe on rentals. Came at me from behind and knocked me down. I had knee pads on under my jeans which saved me.

I think it's safe to say that if you can't maintain an upright stance without flailing your arms, you probably ought not try doing spins and turns.

Other than that, a fun session.

S
Sorry to hear you got taken out at the rink and I'm glad you're okay! I was just wondering if you could make an under jeans knee pad recommendation? I'm a bit rusty and trying to get back out there, I just don't want to blow out my knees. Thanks for your help!
Binky BoomBoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2017, 12:24 AM   #1107
Kassus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binky BoomBoom View Post
Sorry to hear you got taken out at the rink and I'm glad you're okay! I was just wondering if you could make an under jeans knee pad recommendation? I'm a bit rusty and trying to get back out there, I just don't want to blow out my knees. Thanks for your help!
I know the question wasn't directed at me, but I like the Triple 8 gaskets; they fit very tight and will wear easily under a pair of not-tight pants.
Kassus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2017, 12:26 AM   #1108
GraySk8ter
74 (not dead yet)

Default Knee pad info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binky BoomBoom View Post
I was just wondering if you could make an under jeans knee pad recommendation?
https://www.amazon.com/Pro-Tec-Athle...ce+Knee+Sleeve

I had a bum knee after a little girl took me down three years ago. I started using this knee sleeve then and have not skated without it since. It not only provides some knee protection, but it provides lateral twisting support. I have one for each knee and don't skate without it.

Skated family pm session today and it was rather busy. Had several close calls with little ones going the wrong way, but managed to stop and avoid their charge. I BRAKE FOR KIDS! Also had a few adults that did not seem to be much smarter about skating(cutting right behind me when I was going backward and suddenly changing directions - u-turn on floor). But I survived with no incidents to me or by me. So it was a good session.

Keep rollin
GraySk8ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2017, 02:32 AM   #1109
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Philly Palace Christmas Season Skate

Hey ALL, Haven't read or posted in awhile.

Down to the Philadelphia area (Plymouth Meeting) for time with our kids and our one set of grand kids. Hey we took the one granddaughter to a active dinosaur exhibit at the Franklin Institute. Fun for all grand parents as this show travels the world. https://www.fi.edu/exhibit/jurassic-world-exhibition. This is a nice show..

Anyway

Skated at the Palace on Roosevelt Ave. I have always forgot to get into the right set of lanes to make an easy turn into the skate place. So I had to wait for traffic to move on over to the local lanes.

Not much of a crowd, yet the Palace is like I remembered or maybe better than several years ago. The floor was really nice and although I was afraid of my fast wheels Bones Turbos) it was GREAT.

I did Skate Sideways, yet did not Side Surf. I could see one young man who would love to skate like me. Anyway Not my best performance, yet at least one dad at the end kind of congratulated me.

I have not skated in more than one week, yet at the end still skating well and my legs felt like Liquor-ice . Good feeling.

More thoughts including my non skating grand daughter, and the new little Guy almost with my name.

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave
Old January 14th, 2017, 11:40 AM   #1110
Derrick

Default Afterschool at Eastlake

They kept the house lights on for 1.5 hours. Yea! I was alone for 45 minutes. Usually I find that quite uninspirering but I had some jumping and spinning to work on and the house lights were on, which helps.

Did lots of waltz jumps, was trying mapes. Off skate it's really easy, but I have trouble with the stab on skates. I lowered the stops, I got most of the way around on the carpet, but not on the skating surface. Always stuff to learn, but I still think this will be my most difficult jump I will try on the surface.

So..... I just made a basement set up with Zeke's old skates, they are just like my rink skates but jam plugs and wheels I can trash. I got home went down with some laundry and tried to improve my spin edges (which I did, but I'm never satisfied). I came back up and my kids asked,

"Where have you been?"
"Down doing laundry".
"You've been down there an hour, what ELSE have you been doing."

After a well placed uncomfortable silence I had no choice but to admit the truth.
Old January 15th, 2017, 10:26 PM   #1111
Derrick

Default Spped practice injury

Well, I'm an absolute begginer at speed. I joined to see if I can kick my regular session up several notches. Well the first relay push was really, really ahd and I stood up but my feet kept going and boom on my hip.

I continued and did a bit of session, but I was manivering as well as isual and it was pretty busy. I left. Too bad too it was such a nice session with a lot of people tryin begiineing backwards.

Now I'm home and my wife is fussing over me. Cold then hot co, then cold. Well the cold is actually frozen peas. Well I might as well milk thi for a while next session isn't until thursday.

Last edited by Derrick; January 16th, 2017 at 12:32 AM.
Derrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2017, 10:39 AM   #1112
Derrick

Default Skating on injuries family style at Eastlake

Me with a bruise on my hip larger than a grapefruit from speed practice. And my son with a sore knee from basketball. My wife went as well. We skate her around because she is not confident. My son gave her a B for the evening. The deduction was for not skating on her own any of the time. She just did a couple songs though.
It was slow going althought the rink was empty. Then my Wife did something illegal in the rink, she started taliking about work issues WHILE SKATING😳. I told her that was illegal. If there was a penalty box in the rink that would of put her there.
Old January 23rd, 2017, 10:41 AM   #1113
Derrick

Default Such fun at Roller Dome North

Somit was foggy, I was bruisey, and I felt like dancing. So I ditched speed practice for one week and went to regular session.

Not really my only injury. So.. I planned on light therapeutic skating. And I did for a couple of horus. My spins were really on though. More consistent than ever. Basement practice is paying off.

I was all loosened up by hour three. Skating nice and easy. Did just a couple of jumps. Hard to find space in this session. I could easily just do a walt bout anywhere but I like to start off a chactaw. You get a better quality jump, and I need as mine is pretty much a bunny hop.

Zeke, my son, who can jump very high, but doesn't do the named jumps. Well, he hurt his foot in a freak accident. A punture wound, he is out for a while.
I almost bribed my daughter to come. She's learning to drive a stick. A 1992 Ranger thst she bought off her brother. There's lost of the intrument pannel dead, but we had a clutch put in and it drives like it was new. But it definately doesn't look new. My daughter named it Nelson and is determined to learn to drive it. She's getting so much better. I don't feel loke I'm taking my life in my hands when we go driving. But even though I would let her drive she did not want to go.

So I got one out if the game and one that likes sundays ar home and one that just doesn't skate very often. Well I'll keep trying.
Old January 27th, 2017, 01:50 PM   #1114
Derrick

Default Only 3 skaters at Eastlake on Thursday

It was fun anyway. Had the dj play some Dr. Hook. Liked it.
Old January 30th, 2017, 10:35 AM   #1115
Derrick

Default Saturday at Happy Valley

Absolutely nithing has change at my local rink. Still the Chicken Dance and hokey Pokey every skate.

A couple of birthday parties, still a small crowd on Saturdays.

My two foot spin hit a new high. I go out for Chicken Dance and Hokey Pokey cause you spot a spin on turn yourself aroud and spin stop each verse of Chicken Dance. So even though it's super cheesy I stay out anyway.

Well I was still spinning during cheap, cheap, cheap and flap, flap, flap. So I just did them spinning. It's no good to spin during wiggle, wiggle, wiggle.
Old February 6th, 2017, 10:25 AM   #1116
Derrick

Default Thursday Eastlake

A little busier than normal. Not much to report though.
Old February 6th, 2017, 10:30 AM   #1117
Derrick

Default Saturday at Roller Dome

My wife had my usual skates in her car. I just had my super stcky wherls on my soare plates. Haven't ran them in a rink forever. Tought sbout changing my wherls mid session, but I worked through it.

Back edge spread eagles are a bit tougher, the side surf is a little less wiggly. But the back criss is a bit easier I'm still not great at it.

St the end a young lady said, "You are awesome, I see you everytime I come here.". My ego did not need stroking, but I appreciate it anyway. If they only knew what a hack I really am. But Itry very, very hard to keep improving.
Old February 10th, 2017, 10:37 AM   #1118
Derrick

Default After school skate at Eastlake

I was beaten at limbo by a dwarf (literally). He's a real nice kid and getting to be a good skater too. No one else wnated to play. So I went out just so he'd have someone to "compete" against. I'm afraid I wan't much competition.

Not many children their. There were some older couples that danced nicely.
Old February 17th, 2017, 06:09 PM   #1119
Derrick

Default Stale report -Saturday hometown skate at Happy Valley

Not too much out of the ordinary. Been trying some new spin techniques (as usual). Made a bit of progress.

Always nice to skate at home, but yhe sessions are way too short. 7-9:30.
Old February 17th, 2017, 06:13 PM   #1120
Derrick

Default Wedness vacation visit to Western Skateland Bloomington IN

The wholle family went. Huge floor, busy with teens. We had a great time, nice rink. My wife didn't skate much though, she was intimidated by too many kids. They did dart quite a bit. The enterance to the skating floor were tiny, that didn't help.

The floor was awesome held the skate nicely even with my hard wheels. I let my oldest use my faster wheels.