S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old December 23rd, 2016, 11:39 PM   #1
Tbone

Default Laser cushions

Does anyone know where I can find a set of red(hard) S/A laser cushions? I'm having no luck. The folks at Sure Grip said that they are no longer in production. Or is there an alternative or mod?
Tbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2016, 05:24 PM   #2
JHB
Shuffling Member

Send a PM to "Doc Sk8"; he's the source for everything that's obscure or out of production.
Old December 25th, 2016, 03:22 AM   #3
Tbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHB View Post
Send a PM to "Doc Sk8"; he's the source for everything that's obscure or out of production.
Thanks
Old December 25th, 2016, 01:27 PM   #4
fierocious1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbone View Post
Does anyone know where I can find a set of red(hard) S/A laser cushions? I'm having no luck. The folks at Sure Grip said that they are no longer in production. Or is there an alternative or mod?
Someone might be able to "cobble" you some cushions out of existing ones. I don't use stock cushion configurations in my skates at all. Some cushions may fit if cut down or stacked. The dimensions of the cushions are important and the dimensions of the mating parts.
fierocious1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2016, 01:46 AM   #5
amohrfeld

I just bought some online from Connie's Skates. The hardness variations have changed some though.

I called them and they were helpful.
amohrfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2016, 03:01 AM   #6
fierocious1

Quote:
Originally Posted by amohrfeld View Post
I just bought some online from Connie's Skates. The hardness variations have changed some though.

I called them and they were helpful.
for some reason I thought they were our of production.. I stand corrected.
fierocious1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2016, 04:53 AM   #7
amohrfeld

They are - sort of. At least you can no longer get the OEM product. Connies is getting theirs from a supplier who is cutting standard urethane tube. I think the dimensions are 7/8" OD x 3/8" ID. It looks to be cut on a lathe. Also, no label.

That's why different hardness is now offered.

I looked at cutting cushions myself, but I just don't need that many Laser cushions of a single durometer.
amohrfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2016, 01:50 AM   #8
Gee

I wonder if they have anything more stiff than the red cushions. I think they are too soft for me. I normally tighten my action so it is just sufficient to stop the trucks from wiggling when I shake the plate. On my laser, I am unable to skate it unless I tighten it up about 2 1/2 revolutions. Then it feels a bit tight but anything less feels mushy.
Old December 31st, 2016, 05:02 AM   #9
dvw
Secretary of Skate

The only cushions that I'm aware of in current production are those black awful things they ship with. I've been trying for years to convince Sure Grip to make new CPR Big Boys out of the same urethane they make the DA45 cushions out of, but I'm not getting any traction.

The Big Boys are long gone. There are still some of the 2X Whammys around if you know where to look, and you can use just the insides of those if you're inclined.
Old December 31st, 2016, 05:04 AM   #10
dvw
Secretary of Skate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee View Post
I wonder if they have anything more stiff than the red cushions. I think they are too soft for me.
The black ones that new plates ship with are hard as a rock. Anything harder and the plate will flex instead.

Or I can make you some out of wood.
Old January 2nd, 2017, 05:01 AM   #11
Tbone

I have the newer Lasers with the black cushions. I get boot bite with almost every turn. I also ordered some from Connies. All they could send me were white cushions. They are 88a. They seem the same, or maybe a little softer than the black ones. I'm really close to going with a new plate. Prolly like the Avenger mag.
Old January 5th, 2017, 04:04 PM   #12
cwilliams823
Shuffle Skater

I made some on my lathe in various hardness in August, 70,80,90, and 95A

The 90 is red and the 95 is natural. I am 230ish and the reds are on my plate now I am on the fence about trying the 95. I have skated on the crappy small black cushions way to long and really missed the CPR Big boys.

My urethane rod supplier told me they can make them for me but I didn't get a lot of interest at the couple rinks I skate in Melbourne and Kissimmee and obviously would need a minimum order to make it worth while.
cwilliams823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2017, 06:00 PM   #13
Gee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbone View Post
I have the newer Lasers with the black cushions. I get boot bite with almost every turn. I also ordered some from Connies. All they could send me were white cushions. They are 88a. They seem the same, or maybe a little softer than the black ones. I'm really close to going with a new plate. Prolly like the Avenger mag.
Are you using a wheel larger than 63mm? I have never got boot bite with my Laser and can not imagine the boot and wheel touching with an inch of clearance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvw View Post
The black ones that new plates ship with are hard as a rock. Anything harder and the plate will flex instead.

Or I can make you some out of wood.
No thanks. I found it more difficult to adjust the action on the Laser than on an Atlas or Paioli. I was adjusting at increments of 15, kept missing the sweet spot and not get anything that really felt right. Eventually, I discover the action on the Laser is so narrow that I had to adjust at 6 to locate the sweet spot.