S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Artistic Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Artistic Skating Forum Discussions about any topic related to artistic roller skating including quad artistic skating, inline figure skating, pairs, dance, synchronized skating, and show skating.

Old November 26th, 2016, 10:48 AM   #1
larryoracing

Smile What makes a good dance skater?

In the last few days I have probably watched about 36 hours of Dance videos from 2007-2016, South West Pacific Regionals and Nationals.

And I got to see a pattern.

When a skater strokes powerfully across the floor and does his swings, if nothing in his body or her body moves, it's like a statue moving swiftly across the skating floor. It looks really impressive!

Every movement or glitch in your presence skating detracts from the magic of the motion. It's really hard to "stroke" and not move back and forth/front to back with a little bit of bobble, but the less you do the more powerful and magnificent you look. Have a team that moves without movement across the floor is majestic.

Larry O

P.S. I just ordered a new pair of Edea Flamenco Roller Dance boots. I hope they are good. They are not cheap...lol!
larryoracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2016, 10:56 AM   #2
Nostalgic

That's a loaded question since it depends on whether you are an American or International stylist. I for one don't like the International style as it's currently being skated.
Nostalgic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2016, 05:41 AM   #3
larryoracing

Smile Thanks for the reply Nostalgic...lol!

Thanks for reply Nostalgic,

I didn’t mean to throw in a loaded question. I was trying to be perfectly honest…lol!

Heres the problem. I have been out of skating for 40 years. I’m back and after 6 months I enter my first competition. The only lady I’m competing against has been skating for sure for the last 14 years that I know about. And she has even skated team dance, which looks like it could have been her husband…same last name..lol!

So, I’m skating in this time warp. At Fountain Valley we have a lot of old skaters, some of them were winning in Sr Dance 40 years ago and are still skating…lol! All these skaters drop in from over the US to take private lessons from Bob and most all win at the Nationals. American Team or solo dance.

So Dawn (one of my dance pros) gives me 12 years of DVDs to look at. I look mainly at the Adult American Dance and hence my observations.

Thanks for responding and some of the International Dance is entertaining, but I don’t watch a lot of it, because I’m skating American Dance Adult Division, Veterans Dance, which I’m happy Bob told me to skate my age.

That’s make life really easy. No complications and only one event to skate…. Vetereans for people over 55. A couple more years and I can skate Golden for people 65 and over. Life is sweet…lol!

Sincerely,

Larry O

P.S. Are you skating. If not come over to Fountain Valley. Plenty of practice time, not to many people and it's really cheap. 50 bucks a months gives you all the practice you need.
Old November 27th, 2016, 08:47 AM   #4
Nostalgic

There are a couple of groups on Facebook dedicated to skating. One for dance skaters https://www.facebook.com/groups/dancerollersk8ers/ and one for videos https://www.facebook.com/groups/768222533293656/ and the videos that have been shown are mostly of International style. That's about all that I have seen lately. I skated in the '70's and I am familiar with some of Bob's skaters. I have known a couple of them. I quit skating about '81 partly because there were no partners available. I might come down someday just to see what it is like for myself but I am not ready to skate again regularly.
Nostalgic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2016, 04:37 AM   #5
larryoracing

Smile Fantastic!

Hey Nalstagic,

That is fantastic. I actually skated in the 70 also. Koffee Klutch from 10:00 AM Ė 12 noon is the hot ticket. Tuesdays and Fridays. You can check the Fountain Valley Website.

I guess you know Moonlite has their live organ music on Tuesdays and once in a while a few dancers show up.

You wonít find a lot of artistic skaters during sessions. They barely make it to practice in the early mornings and and late evenings after sessions.

Sincerely,

Larry O

P.S. During Koffee Klutch Dawn can help you with any question you might have about skating. I take a lesson with her each week in Dance.
Glendale/moonlite will have a artistic competition Dec 11th.
Old January 5th, 2017, 02:14 PM   #6
Sir Dutch

Default Sir Dutch

Hi! I'm a 84 year old guy that just dosen't want to give up on artistic dancing as a single. Many many moons ago I did pair dancing. The hardest thing for me was getting into the habit of "we" We did well, we didn't do diddily. You mentioned about pair dancing and no seeing and wobbles,etc. It can be done!!
I have been taught to keep my back straight, head held high, eyes should
look high also. It takes awhile to develop the eyes, however, it can be developed. Bending the knees is very important. If you were to do all the above--You wouldn't have any "wobbling" I use to skate against a 92 year old guy. I was 80 at the time. He had been in competition since he was 18. That's 74 years of experience-----against my 7 years in competition. He always gave away his gold metals (which were numerous). Finally asked him why he still skated. His answer was because I want to know I still can skate!!
I'm in the same boat!! But arthritis in my hip keeps me from doing competition. Buy like now--school has been out for the holidays. The local rink offers coupons for skating, I have gone every day for at least 3 hours!!
Sir Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2017, 07:36 PM   #7
emtdpf

As a Comp skater for only a couple of Nationals in the early 90's, to coming back 6 years ago. I can tell you the style of dance seems to have changed.

Back in the 90's, the style was more of the rigid style...... and now, they are allowing.... a little more dancing.

When I say dancing... I don't mean the bobbing back and forth, like that red liquid bird, but, dancing, like more in tune with your skating partner. Heads moving the same, swings and lilts, moving the same. Looking as if your having fun.

I have to say, I have seen video of my self and partner from 92, and I will say, we all looked like rolling sticks back then. I think that the little bit of style, makes competition a little more interesting, to skate and to watch.

I kind of like the way that we skate today, although I do have problems getting into "dance" mode. it has been one of my goals since coming back..... to loosen up.

just my observation! YMMV
emtdpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2017, 10:47 AM   #8
Derrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtdpf View Post
When I say dancing... I don't mean the bobbing back and forth, like that red liquid bird
Hey, I can bounce down to arebesque like that. "Bird, bird, bird...Bird is the word"
Old January 7th, 2017, 02:14 AM   #9
larryoracing

Smile Thankyou for the posts!

Sir Dutch,

You are fantastic. Iím only 62 and find it hard to skate. This month off is doing my knee good.

You are a great mentor, showing just how old one can be and still skate and sometimes to compete. Thank you for the post.

emtdpf

Don (?) Thanks for the post. Since I havenít gone to Nationals yet and I have not competed in regionals for a while Iím not sure what to expect for styles concerning American Dance, but I have seen a video of you skate and you seem fine and it looks like you are enjoying yourself. Maybe someday I will see you in person. Thanks for the post and good luck!

Larry