S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Skating Forum Most of the discussions in this forum will be about inline speed skating but discussions about ice speed skating and quad roller speed skating are also welcome.

Old August 18th, 2016, 01:58 PM   #41
cass38a

5 weeks out and progress is fantastic, I am rehabing like a pro with 4 - 5 hours of work a day for the last 3 weeks.

Been back on the bike for a week and have worked up to 36klm with 454 meters of climbing at 22.3 kph. Still not flexible enough to get in the drops comfortably.

Have done a couple of 10k walks but have scaled it back to 5k each day now that I am on the bike. I have got huge blisters on the balls of each foot from walking so much which is a bugger as I have never had a blister from skating.

Have done a few sessions on the stairs and have built up to 30 minutes walking 2 at a time on a huge old staircase (80 stairs in a straight line with no breaks).

I have been to the gym and done a few sets of 10 squats 3/4 depth at 50kg (in September 2015 I was squatting 140kg for 20 reps so have a long way to go).

I am dying to get back on skates but I am not game enough or got the ok from the doctor yet.
cass38a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2016, 10:19 PM   #42
slowsk8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cass38a View Post
5 weeks out and progress is fantastic, I am rehabing like a pro with 4 - 5 hours of work a day for the last 3 weeks.

Been back on the bike for a week and have worked up to 36klm with 454 meters of climbing at 22.3 kph. Still not flexible enough to get in the drops comfortably.

Have done a couple of 10k walks but have scaled it back to 5k each day now that I am on the bike. I have got huge blisters on the balls of each foot from walking so much which is a bugger as I have never had a blister from skating.

Have done a few sessions on the stairs and have built up to 30 minutes walking 2 at a time on a huge old staircase (80 stairs in a straight line with no breaks).

I have been to the gym and done a few sets of 10 squats 3/4 depth at 50kg (in September 2015 I was squatting 140kg for 20 reps so have a long way to go).

I am dying to get back on skates but I am not game enough or got the ok from the doctor yet.
Glad to hear things are going well.
slowsk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2016, 06:31 PM   #43
Armadillo

A new alloy of titanium with gold gives four times the hardness of normal titanium used for hip replacements & jaw bone embedded posts for tooth implants, yet it still just as bio-compatible (maybe not so wallet compatible though). It should make a lifetime guaranty near certain to hold up, as far as joint wear on the implant wear surfaces, which is important for younger people having hip & other joint replacement surgery. How soon it will be used remains unclear at this stage, Dental use will likely be first.
http://www.atlasobscura.com/articles...ust-discovered

-Armadillo
Old October 30th, 2016, 12:39 PM   #44
cass38a

Default Disaster strikes

My hip was resurfaced on the 16 July and rehab was going well.

On 2 September the surgeon gave me the ok to start back at the gym and to get on the bike, no running, jumping or skating until after I have further x-rays and follow up in January and I was feeling great.

On the 16 October I was 95klm into a 100klm ride when I managed to stack the bike hard on my damaged side after a mishap at 30+kph. Smashed up my knee, hip and shoulder.

Lucky the hip apart from being badly bruised and painful managed to survive. The same could not be said for my shoulder though as my clavicle was shattered into about 5 prices requiring surgery.

I now have a plate and a dozen screws in my shoulder and a scar from my neck to the tip of my shoulder and can't ride or lift. Got out of the sling on Friday and am trying to work out how to get my training back on track.
Old October 30th, 2016, 02:41 PM   #45
ursle
Street Skater

Bad luck.
Umm, did the doc know you were doing five hour rides?

In hardboots on an alpine snowboard I took a header, landed on my left wrist, shattered my left clavicle, no surgery, just a shoulder sling, two weeks later I was back on the board, when I switched edges, (turned), the broken bone rubbed on my skin,(on a snowboard you twist your upper body to the direction you want to go) first turn was weird, second turn was weirder, took a couple hours to get over the strangeness, kinda tickled, Kinda hurt.

Well, now yer off the bike for awhile, you tan tool around on skates a least.
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2016, 07:52 PM   #46
cass38a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursle View Post
Bad luck.
Umm, did the doc know you were doing five hour rides?

That would be sub four hour rides
Old January 6th, 2017, 09:53 AM   #47
cass38a

I got the all clear to skate again today. Did a 5k roll at 25.1 kph average hip is as good as new.

Broken collar bone has not healed at all unfortunately, Staph infection and no union of the broken bone. 11 courses of antibiotics and I will be getting a bone graft from my hip if it hasn't sorted it's self out by 30 January
Old January 6th, 2017, 11:43 AM   #48
Derrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by cass38a View Post
I got the all clear to skate again today. Did a 5k roll at 25.1 kph average hip is as good as new.

Broken collar bone has not healed at all unfortunately, Staph infection and no union of the broken bone. 11 courses of antibiotics and I will be getting a bone graft from my hip if it hasn't sorted it's self out by 30 January
Not sure weather to say awsome. Or sorry. But I'm glad you got out to skate.