S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Slalom Cone Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Slalom Cone Skating Forum Discussions about slalom cone skating, high-jump, and other freestyle trick skating. (Note that vert, street, and park skating discussions should be posted in our aggressive skating forum.)

Old April 27th, 2016, 08:56 AM   #1
Jords

Question Should Slalom Skaters use Spinner Rotation Tools?

Hi people,

I’m wondering about buying one of these Spinner Rotation Tools. You put them on the floor and basically spin on it with your bare feet. They’re used in artistic roller skating, is it worth it using it for Slalom?

Edea Spinner Rotation Tool

http://www.skatesus.com/store/produc...roducts_id=332
Jords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2016, 01:57 PM   #2
kev0

Frankly, I think there is little substitute than actually putting your skates on and practicing.

If you are working on flat foot spins, then I reckon the friction and the frame length would feel completely different than to spin on the board.

If you are working on one heel/toe spins, then again, you need to add the extra element of balancing on an wheel as well as spinning. (Also this board does not factor in which edge you are using to spin, inside or outside - they feel completely different.)
kev0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2016, 03:27 AM   #3
Jords

Hi Kev0

Thanks for reply. Yeah it would be good if the board was shorter to suit short slalom skate frames.

Even though it's flat I thought I could just like put my weight onto one edge and it would be like spinning on that edge in my skates.

Have you ever used one of these?
Old May 2nd, 2016, 10:17 AM   #4
Oicusk82huh
Skating 35 years

I've seen these used for figure skating, but never knew they were used for artistic roller skating (learn something new every day). That's pretty cool. What's your back-ground with skating? Are you an artistic skater?

I think you should get one and then let us know! Couldn't hurt!

When you spin are you usually on you toes, heals, combo or flat? On ice and quad skates I usually spin more towards the ball of my foot, on inlines I'm usually on my toe.
How about you? What's your comfort spot for inlines?
Oicusk82huh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2016, 12:15 PM   #5
Jords

It costs a lot to buy these things so not yet. A guy told me just last week though that I could wear my socks on a smooth/slippery floor to help simulate something like a 7 spin for either heel or toe. So I think I'll start with that.

Yeah I did artistic (Quad skating for like 3 years.) There's some stuff you learn in that you aren't forced to pick up in Freestyle.

Dance: excessively good posture, timing, following a fixed pattern, always bending to increase power and speed.

Freeskating: Jump and spin well.

Figures: Improves the edge you're skating on, and allows you to do tighter turns.

That all helps when you get into Slalom later. I've only done Inline for a few months. I find I can heel spin much easier than in quads. Yes I feel the ball of my foot when I do a bit of toe wheeling but damn it hurts my ligaments.
Old July 5th, 2016, 12:21 PM   #6
BorisB

These can help you get used to rotations while keeping proper posture (i.e. most importantly keeping your back straight without instinctively bending). They also can teach you to maintain balance on one foot spins for longer time.

I would suggest getting a short lesson from a figure skater on how to enter the spins correctly... otherwise you might find yourself spinning but in a funny posture
BorisB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
spinner, spinner rotation tools, spinning, spins