S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Skating Forum Most of the discussions in this forum will be about inline speed skating but discussions about ice speed skating and quad roller speed skating are also welcome.

Old October 15th, 2017, 06:34 AM   #1
John8a

Default Technique question :Sprint

My daughter is learning to do sprints. She is able to do the dry land exercise

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MamwkL-uUso

but she struggles when she does it with skates. She is 13 years old.

1.Are there any specific exercises in Slideboard which would enable her to learn Sprint?
2.Can any one suggest , how one has to apply the sprint exercises while
they are practising in skates.Any videos link would be very much help full

Regards,
John
John8a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2017, 12:24 PM   #2
kufman

Does she struggle with the strength to do the sprints or the technique? Is this for indoor skating or outdoors?
kufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2017, 01:53 PM   #3
spdkls

We need to see her sprint to see what she is missing.
spdkls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2017, 03:34 PM   #4
WJCIV

That's not a great video. The problems most skaters will point out is that the demonstrator isn't getting low enough and is jumping up instead of out, but there's a more fundamental problem. He's swinging his non-jumping leg from the hip (instead of leading the stroke by pulling the knee through like a step) and leading the landing motion with the foot (instead of the hip). This means the power generation and balance is wrong when you try to transfer to skates. This can be a useful drill if done correctly. I've seen it done and demonstrated it better, but I'm not aware of a YouTube video showing it.

Jumping up instead of out and landing with the foot out will in particular make this more difficult on skates because the extra distance between the ground and the ankle will cause problems on the landing.

I don't have any links handy at the moment, but if you search YouTube for technique you might want to focus on Eddy Matzger, Pascal Briand, Coach Sooty, Powerslide, and Joey Mantia. I haven't watched a lot of their videos, but the samples I've seen have been pretty good. There are also some videos of Chad Hedrick, Derek Parra, and Ewen Fernandez that are very good, although I think you have to wade through a lot of off topic results to get to them.

If you want pointers as to individual things for your daughter to work on link a video of her skating.

I love the phrase "I quit". It beats more of my opponents than I do.
WJCIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2017, 04:10 PM   #5
WJCIV

Quick addendum: Don't get caught up in "sprint" technique. Sprinting uses the same technique as regular skating with a little bit more lean and a little bit more power. There are some slight differences during acceleration, but with the exception of the start, those are so minor that it's unlikely your daughter needs to worry about them just yet.

I love the phrase "I quit". It beats more of my opponents than I do.
WJCIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2017, 05:09 PM   #6
John8a

@WJCIV : Thanks for the pointers. Yes I agree with you, there looks to be only subtle diffrence between the normal skating and sprint and i am not able to help her, ,which makes a difference in her age group.

@Kuffman : Its an out door, she is able do around 8-10 miles continuously with proper strides, most of her learnings are through you tube videos, she was able to pick the cross overs and push by going through the videos.to me it looks like she is not able to apply what she sees for sprints.

@spdkls: yes i would try take a video of her sprints and upload it .
John8a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2017, 05:18 PM   #7
bjvircks
Major Trouble

great comments from WJCIV... especially about "jumping up" vs to side and driving the knee.

I'd like to add the perspective of useful-productive force as opposed to non-productive force. Pushing upward does not make you go forward... sideways does. I think of it as pushing the wrong way on a door... I can work really really hard but get no results by pushing a door closed against the doorjamb when I need to push the other way to open the door. Need to understand that the strength building drills/actions/motions are different from the speed building drills/actions/motions.
Old October 16th, 2017, 05:35 PM   #8
kufman

This is Joey doing a time trial but is does show the proper way to lead with the knee.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHGAfl2G4PE

His hill start video is good too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNap3WRG5Qo
kufman is offline   Reply With Quote