S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Other Forums > Off-Topic Discussions
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic Discussions You can use this forum to talk about any non-skating topic you want.

Old November 11th, 2017, 09:49 AM   #1
quantoo

Default Be carefull with pistol drills

I was elongating a 7mm diameter hole and i slipped .
The drill bit grabbed my tanktop on the left side of my chest.
It wound it up and almost pierced through.
My hand couldnt release the trigger quick enough and a few more revolutions could have punched a hole in my chest inside the left nipple.
I have the red mark and some missing chest hairs.
At first iwas too afraid to look down as i thought it did.
I once drilled into my wrist with a 1/8th drill bit and it drills in to flesh super fast.
So take it as a warning,maybe even wait till somebody is home before you start using power tools .
quantoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2017, 01:58 PM   #2
fierocious1

Quote:
Originally Posted by quantoo View Post
I was elongating a 7mm diameter hole and i slipped .
The drill bit grabbed my tanktop on the left side of my chest.
It wound it up and almost pierced through.
My hand couldnt release the trigger quick enough and a few more revolutions could have punched a hole in my chest inside the left nipple.
I have the red mark and some missing chest hairs.
At first iwas too afraid to look down as i thought it did.
I once drilled into my wrist with a 1/8th drill bit and it drills in to flesh super fast.
So take it as a warning,maybe even wait till somebody is home before you start using power tools .
As a rule I don't do any machine work with loose clothing. Also use safety glasses. Seen machines do really bad stuff in very short time...
fierocious1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2017, 09:52 PM   #3
quantoo

Default yeah safety glasses a must

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierocious1 View Post
As a rule I don't do any machine work with loose clothing. Also use safety glasses. Seen machines do really bad stuff in very short time...
The tanktop was tight fitting strangely enough.If iwasnt wearing it the drill might have broke the skin mate, but skin and hair wouldnt have wound up on me like the tank top.I had to take a few deep breathsand i dont want it to happen to any one else.like when using a knife cut away from you ,.i was lazy and couldnt be bothered turning the part around in the vice so i angled the point of the drill towards me.rush rush rush the weekend is running out.
Yeah machines are unforgiving arent they?
Old November 11th, 2017, 11:43 PM   #4
fierocious1

Quote:
The tanktop was tight fitting strangely enough.If iwasnt wearing it the drill might have broke the skin mate, but skin and hair wouldnt have wound up on me like the tank top.I had to take a few deep breathsand i dont want it to happen to any one else.like when using a knife cut away from you ,.i was lazy and couldnt be bothered turning the part around in the vice so i angled the point of the drill towards me.rush rush rush the weekend is running out.
Yeah machines are unforgiving arent they?
Many years ago, a buddy of mine(hotrodder) showed me his new electric die grinder. Then he winced and told me what happened when he first pulled it our and plugged it in. His wife at the time, was looking at it and got too close, it grabbed her hair and went straight to he scalp. Bam! Hit it the head and stopped. He had to cut hair to get it off he head. Talk about tight rollers.... and she was a FINE ONE! I would never have let her get that close to it in the first place, to dangerous!
Old November 12th, 2017, 01:45 AM   #5
quantoo

Default Die griders very handy but give off sharps

Quote:
Many years ago, a buddy of mine(hotrodder) showed me his new electric die grinder. Then he winced and told me what happened when he first pulled it our and plugged it in. His wife at the time, was looking at it and got too close, it grabbed her hair and went straight to he scalp. Bam! Hit it the head and stopped. He had to cut hair to get it off he head. Talk about tight rollers.... and she was a FINE ONE! I would never have let her get that close to it in the first place, to dangerous!
Lucky it didint scalp her.

Those flakes that the die grinder shoots everywhere manage to get behind the safety goggles sometimes.Or if you have some flakes on your clothing and take the shirt off "ping" one can launch into your eye.
If youve ever had a sharp from a die grinder in your eye you will know pain.
We cut a die grinder open once and found 6 phillipino fisherman {still in their boats} !
When america goes to war against sth korea they wont drop bombs.
America only has to secretly place a die grinder in nth korea and let lt it rip.
Die grinders should be put on the weapons of mass destruction list IMO
Old November 12th, 2017, 02:13 AM   #6
fierocious1

Quote:
Lucky it didint scalp her.

Those flakes that the die grinder shoots everywhere manage to get behind the safety goggles sometimes.Or if you have some flakes on your clothing and take the shirt off "ping" one can launch into your eye.
If youve ever had a sharp from a die grinder in your eye you will know pain.
We cut a die grinder open once and found 6 phillipino fisherman {still in their boats} !
When america goes to war against sth korea they wont drop bombs.
America only has to secretly place a die grinder in nth korea and let lt it rip.
Die grinders should be put on the weapons of mass destruction list IMO
The electric ones get very hot! I run two or three at a time, rotating from one to the another once one gets hot. Cast iron cylinder heads make for a lot of heat....
Old November 12th, 2017, 09:45 AM   #7
quantoo

Default im guessing

Quote:
The electric ones get very hot! I run two or three at a time, rotating from one to the another once one gets hot. Cast iron cylinder heads make for a lot of heat....
Are you porting fuelie heads at the moment?
And i think the word die in die grinder doesnt mean thread tool it means what happens to any that gets near the things.
Old November 12th, 2017, 03:03 PM   #8
fierocious1

Quote:
Are you porting fuelie heads at the moment?
And i think the word die in die grinder doesnt mean thread tool it means what happens to any that gets near the things.
I was porting sbc 400 heads. I have two sets of 500 Cadillac heads to do in the future. Raised ports .400 and milled the tops of the heads for accepting a 1/2" bar to use as a rocker base. This allows you to run self aligning sbf rockers on 3/8" studs, with stud girdle if need be to increase the rpm to the engines limits.
Old November 15th, 2017, 09:31 AM   #9
quantoo

Default Understood most but

Quote:
I was porting sbc 400 heads. I have two sets of 500 Cadillac heads to do in the future. Raised ports .400 and milled the tops of the heads for accepting a 1/2" bar to use as a rocker base. This allows you to run self aligning sbf rockers on 3/8" studs, with stud girdle if need be to increase the rpm to the engines limits.
sbf rockers ford?
Old November 15th, 2017, 12:23 PM   #10
fierocious1

Quote:
sbf rockers ford?
Yep, ford. The rockers don't really matter as long as the centerlines match up. The ford rockers are just right for replacing the Cadillac rockers with the new supports and studs. They fit. Besides, it's after market parts and they are way stronger than stock. Bottom end speed for the Cadillac 500 with good pistons can reach 7500 rpm with reworked stock rods.
Old Yesterday, 11:00 AM   #11
quantoo

Default 7500 almost screaming ,the sound would get attention

Quote:
Yep, ford. The rockers don't really matter as long as the centerlines match up. The ford rockers are just right for replacing the Cadillac rockers with the new supports and studs. They fit. Besides, it's after market parts and they are way stronger than stock. Bottom end speed for the Cadillac 500 with good pistons can reach 7500 rpm with reworked stock rods.
dont big blocks throw rods at constant high rpm?
Old Yesterday, 11:37 PM   #12
fierocious1

Quote:
dont big blocks throw rods at constant high rpm?
Depends... On several things. Rod ratio can help a big motor live longer. Big motor builders usually go for max power with max cubic inches or rpm like a small block. Many years ago when I went to Bonnieville, Al Teagues streamliner broke on it's first pass. It threw 2 rods out. Al said, he didn't know what happened, it usually didn't do that at 9800rpm. That was on the 13 mile track at the time. Later that week with a fresh motor he went 401.