S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Artistic Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Artistic Skating Forum Discussions about any topic related to artistic roller skating including quad artistic skating, inline figure skating, pairs, dance, synchronized skating, and show skating.

Old September 11th, 2017, 03:57 AM   #1
larryoracing

Smile Can one skate do it all?

The other day I was asked if one skate, one boot and one set of wheels could do it all, be used in all three Artistic Roller Skating disciplines…ie…Figures, Dance and Freestyle?

I think the answer is unequivocally yes!

The plate I would use would be the Roll Line Energy Plate. The boot would be a pair of SPTeri, Silver Stars/heat moldable and the wheels would be a set of Roll Line 62mm, with the inside wheels being the Magnum, with hardness of HD48 and the outside Wheels being HD52.

This combination would allow you to skate figures without the toe stop and still be able to get good grip for pushing and less grip for when you need to slide the wheels during “strike offs” and “take offs”.

These boots also give enough support for Dance and are the tradition Hi Top Boot. They are not leather. There is also enough support in these boots to give reasonable support to do figures and “three turns”.

The wheels are also good enough to grip for jumping, yet slippery enough to spin. Since the “Energy” plate has the toe stop provision you will be able to do the “toe assist” jumps, like Mapes, Toewally, etc.

I also feel the SP Teri ,Silver Star boots give enough support to do single jumps, with the occasional Doubles…like a double mapes and toewally.

Good Luck,

Larry O.

P.S. How much would this setup cost the beginning skater. About 650 dollars if the boots were available. Actually this is a fantastic deal if you shop around for the right prices. People will give you some great deals, but you got to ask?
larryoracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2017, 11:15 AM   #2
rwsz

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryoracing View Post
The other day I was asked if one skate, one boot and one set of wheels could do it all, be used in all three Artistic Roller Skating disciplines…ie…Figures, Dance and Freestyle?

I think the answer is unequivocally yes!

The plate I would use would be the Roll Line Energy Plate. The boot would be a pair of SPTeri, Silver Stars/heat moldable and the wheels would be a set of Roll Line 62mm, with the inside wheels being the Magnum, with hardness of HD48 and the outside Wheels being HD52.

This combination would allow you to skate figures without the toe stop and still be able to get good grip for pushing and less grip for when you need to slide the wheels during “strike offs” and “take offs”.

These boots also give enough support for Dance and are the tradition Hi Top Boot. They are not leather. There is also enough support in these boots to give reasonable support to do figures and “three turns”.

The wheels are also good enough to grip for jumping, yet slippery enough to spin. Since the “Energy” plate has the toe stop provision you will be able to do the “toe assist” jumps, like Mapes, Toewally, etc.

I also feel the SP Teri ,Silver Star boots give enough support to do single jumps, with the occasional Doubles…like a double mapes and toewally.

Good Luck,

Larry O.

P.S. How much would this setup cost the beginning skater. About 650 dollars if the boots were available. Actually this is a fantastic deal if you shop around for the right prices. People will give you some great deals, but you got to ask?
how about loops,,,i think harder for figures and loops
Old September 11th, 2017, 07:11 PM   #3
larryoracing

Smile Thanks for replying. More to think about?

Dear Rick,

I’m glad you brought up the point about Figures and Loops. The reason I brought up the Energy Plate, is because supposedly it is the same plate as the Giotto, without the toe stop mount.

Every Figure skater in my Rink uses the Giotto plate. I’m skating on that plate right now and it is excellent, because it’s a very stable platform and does not turn on its own, like a “Ring” or “Dance” plate.

I will honestly say I don’t feel the Giotto plate feels like my Energy skate, but the boots on both skates are entirely different and the Wheels/Size or Diameter of wheels are different as well as the compound. So, that is why I feel both plates feel as different as night and day.

Someday, I hope to set up a pair of Energy plates just like my Giotto plates and see if in fact they react the same????? I don’t really know and I am only going by ‘here say’. They could be in fact be the same plate and could possibly skate the same way if they were set up exactly the same?????

It’s interesting you bring up loops. I hope I have made a good case for figures with the Energy plate. What makes a skate, skate is the boot selection and wheels mounted on them, possibly cushions and adjustment to those cushions.

So, you can take the same skate and make it react differently. But can you compromise on the boot selection , the wheels mounted on the skates, the hardness of cushions and adjustments made to the skates and make one skate perform well in all Four (forgot to include Loops) disciplines. The answer is yes.

The other day I was practicing loops. Loops are actually taught in our beginning/Junior Club class. Most skaters just skate the small circles, but the advanced skaters who skate the beginning class actually practice the loop part of the loop figures. I was doing that the other day during the Saturday afternoon class????

Yes, I could do the loop part of the loop in both directions. Not very well, but I could do them. I was on my Giotto Plates/Energy knock off the toe stop” and using a Dance Boot (SP Teri, Silver Star) and not a tradition very stiff figure boot, like a SP Teri Pro Star recommended.

So, the key to me of doing the loops was having the Dance boot and not a very stiff/board-like Figure boot. It allowed some flexibility in the ankle to perform the loop.

Also, I feel my trucks are probably one or two clicks looser than what is optimum for figures. This allows for a little bit of wiggling over the line, but gives the looseness to do loops, dance and freestyle. I feel most free-stylists like a looser truck, as well as a dance skater and you sacrifice your figures because they are not as tight as they should be, but this looseness can help you in the loop part of the loop circle.

Cushions, that is a interesting subject which I don’t know much about, but I have different cushions in all my skates. You just seem to adjust to the cushions you have installed in your skates.

My figure coach said I might want to go to a softer cushion, set up little tighter than a stiff cushion set up loose. I think the theory was, with my stiffer cushions set up loose, I wiggle over the line, but with a softer cushion set up tight I would have better control of my skate and not wiggle over the line.

Thanks for listening.

Larry O and God bless you all!
Old September 12th, 2017, 11:30 AM   #4
rwsz

Larry I was actually thinking more of the wheels then the plates, I think u can use any of the plates with the right cushions and loosen up the action for loops and especially the small circle part of the loop circle.
Old September 14th, 2017, 04:45 AM   #5
larryoracing

Smile Dear Rick, thanks for the response.

There are so many wheels on the market that your head begins to spin!
And I guess for World Class skaters the problem becomes even more dramatic?

But I’m willing to bet most World Class skaters don’t do all three disciplines. I mean really how many world class skaters do Dance, Figures and Freestyle?

It seems the hot wheel today is Komplex for figures and a lot of skaters were buying STD for Dance. Who knows what they use for Figures. I saw all kinds of wheels out there…blue, pink and even green.

But for a beginner skater I think you could you use one set of wheels for dance, figures and Freestyle.

Today they just recoated our floor with new plastic and I changed my dance and figure skate wheels to a completely different set of wheels on each skate/Berry Skates and my SP Teri, figure skates.

My Freestlye skates/Energy use a completely different wheels all together, size and Compound. I think I’m using the 57mm 97A. So I know what you mean…lol!

Sincerely,

Larry O
Old September 14th, 2017, 11:11 AM   #6
rwsz

Larry u are right 0-1 probably do all 3 disciplines at wc level. we don't even have many wc anymore.

too many wheels and plates to choose from. the smaller 57mm is best for freestyle and session skating I think. good luck for you that have to choose lol.