S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Main Skating Forum > Outdoor Trails
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Outdoor Trails Tell us about your favorite outdoor skating trails.

Old February 5th, 2012, 07:51 PM   #1
pgick

Default Santa Fe Dam, Duarte, CA

Ok I got board of skating the same old bike trails so I went lookin for some strange. I had skated Santa Fe Dam before and loved the surface and the view. But being only 3 miles long the scenery tends to repeat. But the smooth surface has been replaced with believe it - even a smoother surface. This surface is 30' wide and 3 miles long and has not a single bit of texture that can be felt. And due to its elevation above the surrounding area it has no rocks nor sticks or anything that you have to look for. Even Stevie Wonder could skate this place.
But the catch- WIND pick your time of day since it is high up and unprotected.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pgick/6824935357/
pgick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2012, 09:43 PM   #2
pgick

I just found out the park does not have a fee collector on duty till March so entering this location is free ( fee $10.). Not sure about the weekends.
Old February 18th, 2012, 12:42 AM   #3
eighteen_psi
Falcon Heavy

I skated there quite a bit a couple years ago (when I lived in the area) - the dam is nice, but so is (most of) the trail going north out of the park area. There's some rough bits getting to it from the dam, but once you get going you can head all the way up to the foot of the mountain... and keep going by road (which I've done on bike).
eighteen_psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2012, 02:31 AM   #4
pgick

Quote:
Originally Posted by eighteen_psi View Post
I skated there quite a bit a couple years ago (when I lived in the area) - the dam is nice, but so is (most of) the trail going north out of the park area. There's some rough bits getting to it from the dam, but once you get going you can head all the way up to the foot of the mountain... and keep going by road (which I've done on bike).
I have skated that section above the 210 as far as where you skate on the road. I don't skate roads any more, hit by a car once. Cast for three months.
A constant slight uphill as I remember, it was years ago.
I just skated below the dam today and the bad section of cracked and patched asphalt with the thick lumpy raised rubber patch just got resurfaced (Mile 6-7). I went 15 miles south and only had perfect surface except for some of the underpasses. Pretty sweet
I was going to post this trail by name tomorrow in case anyone does a search. I get board with the same trails.
It was nice to go that far without hitting miles of rough surface like you get heading farther south on the same trail.
Old February 18th, 2012, 02:40 AM   #5
eighteen_psi
Falcon Heavy

I'm pretty bold about skating roads but no way I'd try that bit on skates without a closed road and leathers... if then. No room to maneuver, blind turns and absolutely no place to scrub speed coming down. Tough enough climb on a bike too.

The section below is fun though... as you say, a little up going out but man you can haul coming back.
Old February 26th, 2012, 03:45 AM   #6
eighteen_psi
Falcon Heavy

Found some phone snaps from the last time I rode there:

Old April 17th, 2012, 03:49 AM   #7
SwisherTONE
I 'do' Swisher Sweet #143

Location: North Los Angeles Quad Speed Skater www.SwisherSkate.com SWISHER Skating Products (coming soon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgick View Post
Ok I got board of skating the same old bike trails so I went lookin for some strange. I had skated Santa Fe Dam before and loved the surface and the view. But being only 3 miles long the scenery tends to repeat. But the smooth surface has been replaced with believe it - even a smoother surface. This surface is 30' wide and 3 miles long and has not a single bit of texture that can be felt. And due to its elevation above the surrounding area it has no rocks nor sticks or anything that you have to look for. Even Stevie Wonder could skate this place.
But the catch- WIND pick your time of day since it is high up and unprotected.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pgick/6824935357/
I'm a pretty serious cyclist as well, and I've ridden this trail many times. it's great! Now I need to skate it. Thanks for the inspiration

I <3 Speed Skating & Derby ~ Swisher Sweet#143 (best Jammer EVER)
SwisherTONE is offline   Reply With Quote