S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum Discussions about roller dancing, jamskating, rexing, rink session skating, dance circle skating, and similar types of recreational indoor and outdoor skate dancing .

Old April 3rd, 2017, 10:25 AM   #1141
Derrick

Default Sat and sunday went home town skating

The drive is two minutes, I could walk. The floor is a bit bumpy, and the sessions are shorter. But I can get more done around the house.

I'd been practicing spins at home on a spare pair. I couldn't get the same one foot spin to work at the rink: just got more drag on the back wheels. I was using hard cushions at home and soft at the rink. So I took the spares to the rink and that helped the spin. But made the entry harder.

So, just obeservation on harder cushions and how they worked for me. Better three turns, but I still had trouble setting a one foot spin with a regular (art type) entry. I feel like I was pushing harder at every stroke, but I didn't get tired. It's a little faster. Close spread eagles are a little tougher and back edge on same eagle is not quite as deep. But I'm still really good at them. Dancing on toes is a bit tougher. Switching edges on one foot is not as deep and harder to time to the music. Landing a waltz jump on the hard I wasn't quite used to. All-in-all, I'm just not used to themat speed.

Well I love to spin and won't be satisfied til its Olympic Quality (which it will never be). But I'll stick to the harder cushions and work out my other issues.

So I used a side support at the rink to keep my balance while mocking a one foot spin enty. That makes the entry really easy.
I used to say that the song was wrong: If you dance on a pole, it's pretty indicative. But since I have been using the poles for balnace I'm going to have to take that back.
Old April 3rd, 2017, 09:22 PM   #1142
Kassus

Default Twin Lakes again

Home rink on Friday and I was all over the place. Decided to go really big and replace my cushion combo (was Sure-Grip barrel yellow on the top; Sure-Grip blue conical on the bottom; replaced the yellows with blues) and oh boy... !!! Just the fourth time on the new boots as well.

Anyway, up to Twin Lakes on Saturday; swapped wheels (wear a blue Cannibal here at home; switched for a set of 98A Zombie Max 62x42mm) for the hardwood floor and I figured I'd either go really fast or eat it. The floor is smaller and I wasn't all over the place like I thought I would be. Also, I did eat it but only because a little kid came up from behind out of nowhere and clipped my wheel from behind and down we went.

The kid apologized about three times, and I got right back up, so no harm or foul. I skated most of it off and took a couple of Advil when I got home.

Anyway... not sure why I wasn't all over the place Saturday. Not sure if it was the smaller floor/different surface or if it's just in my head (my shuffle skating friend insists that it's latter), but either way, the set-up I have now is ALMOST perfect; eventually I'm going to get a set of ceramics for my home rink and when I do I'll transfer my Swiss 6's to my Twin Lakes set-up. The plate will unfortunately be the last thing I replace... but Uncle Sam wants his cut this year so I have to pay him first.
Kassus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2017, 04:21 AM   #1143
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Fun America at 'Roll On America' 04April2017 2$ Tuesday

Hi All,

People Topic and Skaters can Skate on Almost Anything. And do the Wow!!

Over on the Quad Sub-Forum, and sometimes with kids with deep money you will see this desire for an ever better skate that costs 1000$ plus. They attribute their good skating to their equipment. Yet history shows us the Germans and the British on the funniest one wheel skates that took piles of balance in order to skate. SO here is a story about one such skater that is athletic.

I have not seen my Hawaiian Skater in 4 years, he told me that number. Yet he showed up tonight. Now most people would look at him and say there is a Low Life, also because he now has facial adornments after the Polynesian cultures.. I will tell you, He would look strange to me too if I had not skated with him on Wednesdays for a few years and saw his performance and chatted.

Anyway his skates are a thing of crap. I mean he cobbles stuff together, since the last time we skated together, on again a really yuky pair of skates.

This time he took an InLine boot chopped it off, put on some kind of plate on the bottom and then put mini (older hard wheels) on the front and some reasonably normal wheels on the rear. He goes right out to the center of the floor and starts doing his stationery 3 turns, and other stuff. He used to do Hand Stands. Anyway he makes skating.

Now I can think of several really good skaters that had good equipment, a NH Gym teacher we wanted to compete at Jam Nationals, a young man who won a Riedell contract, my one buddy from the Florida/Dominican Republic and more, YET this Hawaiian skates fantastic on almost nothing.

After awhile he recognized me, introduced me to his daughter also born in Hawaii and his 4 year old grandson he was hoping to show how to skate. His grandson was quite a pip and stuck his tongue out at me. And he has a new grandson he would also hope learns to skate.

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave
P.S. I told the one skater next to me about this man, and he asked to you believe all you told me that he has done in life, YES he even sold Real Estate in South Africa.
Old April 7th, 2017, 10:32 AM   #1144
Derrick

Default Back to adult night at Roller Dome

I haven't been to this session in a while. It a lot busy than it used to be. 2 hour session felt like 15 minutes. Sure could have used a longer skate. There is one gal who skates well but wants to skate from the middle straight to the wall and back. Over and over. I'm not sure why she does this. Seems to have a bit of an attitude about going wheverver she wants and not in a circle. My friend from town is a bit upset with the new clientele being erradic skaters.
Old April 10th, 2017, 02:37 PM   #1145
Kassus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrick View Post
erradic skaters.
There's one guy (an adult!) at my home rink that skates right along the longer portion of the red line, keeps going all the way to the wall, makes a hairpin turn and sticks his foot WAY out, and then repeats this maneuver on the other side. Not sure why he does this, but it results in people getting cut off constantly and/or risking getting caught up in his foot when he sticks it out.

I'm waiting for the day that I can't avoid him (have been successful so far); I've mentioned it to the floor guards, but for the most part they are kids and they don't care. I've reluctantly decided that if he makes me eat it, I'm taking him down with me.
Old April 10th, 2017, 02:39 PM   #1146
Kassus

Default Twin Lakes

Same set up as last Saturday night, but I went ahead and put my Swiss 6's in them just to see what would happen. What happened is during my favorite song to skate to, I took off like a rocket and slid three times during the song (yes, I counted). Thought for sure I was going to eat it but managed to save it. VERY happy with the set up.
Old April 16th, 2017, 06:08 PM   #1147
Kassus

Default Twin Lakes again... again

Went back to the China Reds in my Zombie 98A Max wheels; those wheels are a real PITA to get bearings in and out of, and I've resigned myself to the fact that they'll stay until I permanently swap them out for the Swiss 6's (and/or the bearings need cleaned). It took everything I had to swap them out with the handheld Swiss bearing changer. I really need to invest in a bearing press.

Anyway, my shuffle skating friend admitted that when I finally get the Swiss Ceramics I've had my eye on (saving up for them now) to put in my wheels that I have for my rink in my own city (not Twin Lakes) he'll replace his aging set because (in his words) when I get ceramics, the only advantage that he'll have is his height (I'm very short and have short legs/long torso - his 12-year old daughter is only 2" shorter than me and obviously still growing).

Well, well, well. This actually gave me an ego boost - knowing that the one person that can smoke ANYONE at any of the rinks we go to considers me to be valid/legit competition to him even though he (in my eyes) easily smokes me.
Old April 20th, 2017, 01:57 AM   #1148
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Roll On America: 2$ Tuesday Easter Break

Hi All,

It was a nice night. Did a lot of yard work today in prep for Yard Waste Pickup on Wednesday. My Hawaiian Guy was back with his daughter/husband and grand kids and having a variable time. The young 4 yr old did not remember sticking out his tongue to me, hey it happens. He eventually was allowed to use a scooter which I think is bad for kids learning to skate. Anyway nice to see them again.

A Japanese american mom from Worcester brought a bunch of her gals and one boy. At near the end of session the one gal needed ice for an injury and the mom asked me why I skated so darn well. I told them all about how I started hugging the wall, at close to the age of her one daughter, and afraid of girls who put me in the middle. And then I skated with friends F Saturday and Sunday. More on this

Anyway young people girls and boys in their young teens are so so darn beautiful and so capable. It is fun to skate with them and even sit near by.

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave
Old May 20th, 2017, 02:09 AM   #1149
Derrick

Default Accidental OB spin

My two foot spin often is heavy on the LOB but I lifted the right. Wasn't trying to learn it, but I will try to develop it a bit now that I know where the balance point is. I'm still wanting the IB to be olympic class. That's never going to happen. But I did have someone ask after an IB with regular entry. "How do you do that, were you a professional ice skater?". So I must be doing ok.

Haven't posted here in a while, my post got a bit same-same. I still skate at least twice a week. The light summer crowds are starting. Thats good for my skating style but bad for socialness.

I've had some really good sessions lately. Learning all the time.