S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | SkateLog.com | Email    

Home

*** The SkateLog Forum is Moving to SkateDebate Dot Com ***
(select above link for more information)

How To Get a User Account in the New SkateDebate Forum
(new home of the SkateLog Forum)

How To Get a User Account in the SkateLog Forum
(Note: this forum is going off-line in June of 2020)

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old April 14th, 2015, 10:05 AM   #81
ALBERT.PACO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackbkwikn View Post
They look superb.....

Do you have a idea of weight ????
The weight as expected of 45g but keep in mind that we use micro bearing instead of 608 bearings and with this we reduced a lot the total weight of the wheel.

I have talked with a 3D engineer and for the next model of hub, he thinks that we could reduce a bit the weight but only few grams, no more.

But this improvement for the next V3 version of hub in few months.

Reducing the weight, keeping compatibility with the old Deanoīs tires with aluminum hub is not easy.

And for all those that have buyed a set of this V2 hubs, as we have talked, you know that for the next V3 design, you get FOUR free V3 alu hubs for your own test.
ALBERT.PACO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2015, 10:08 AM   #82
ALBERT.PACO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armadillo View Post
They look exceptionally good.

If I could make one suggestion for a small improvement it would be to rework the transition shoulder from the smaller spoked ID to the slightly larger UN-spoked ID.

It could look a bit nicer if the the 90 degree step transition between the two IDs could be done as a radius similar to how the radius of the spoke fat end blends tangent to the ID.

Even a bevel transition between the two different IDs would be good.

-Armadillo
Hi, thanks for your support.

Iīm not sure what is the meaning of ID, as you knows my English is not good...

When I have received the hub, I have seen this transition shoulder and for the next V3 design I will remove this shoulder (marked with a red arrow)

Also I want to reduce, a bit, the width of the inner wall of hub (marked as blue arrow)

This inner wall has a taper shape with the same width of a Deano plastic hub and talking with a CNC engineer tells me that we can reduce the width of this inner wall along all the hub to reduce some grams because in ALU we donīt need a width like this. But we need to calculate the correct width to avoid problems with hub useability

One thing is to see the design on a computer screen and another get in hand the alu hub.

Old April 14th, 2015, 10:21 AM   #83
ALBERT.PACO

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieScott View Post
They look great Paco.
I look forward to getting the Testers.
Regards,
Scott.
Thanks again for your support, Scott.

You can stay sure that you can count with a set of this hubs for test and I will test this hubs with your fantastic Super Dīs tires.
Old April 15th, 2015, 07:22 PM   #84
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Impressive. I love the hard work from all the guys that are getting into the manufacturing end of this sport / hobby / insane obsession we share..
Old April 16th, 2015, 10:14 AM   #85
ALBERT.PACO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Sk8 View Post
Impressive. I love the hard work from all the guys that are getting into the manufacturing end of this sport / hobby / insane obsession we share..
Hi, thanks a lot for your words.

Due of our insane obsession, I want to continue working on improve this hub, even work, soon, in a new design that could be not compatible with the old Deano design.

Regards from Spain,
Paco.
Old April 20th, 2015, 02:42 AM   #86
JHB
Shuffling Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBERT.PACO View Post
Iīm not sure what is the meaning of ID, as you knows my English is not good...
ID = Inside Diameter

Beautiful product, by the way!
Old April 20th, 2015, 07:41 PM   #87
ALBERT.PACO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHB View Post
ID = Inside Diameter

Beautiful product, by the way!
Thank you for your clarification and for your kind words about the hubs.
Old April 20th, 2015, 07:45 PM   #88
ALBERT.PACO

Today they traveled to their destination the three sets of hubs that I had booked.

If anyone is interested, yet I have one more hub set, the last.

Thanks again for all your suggestions.
Old May 11th, 2015, 11:19 AM   #89
ALBERT.PACO

First impressions of the people who have gotten my caps:

- First I need to lose at least 10 grams by hub; with 3D modeling tests I'm doing I think I'll get it.

- The bearing socket is a bit tight and it costs a bit to mount the bearing.

You must use a bearing press for mounting and dismounting bearings.

My idea is to widen a little the diameter of the bearings to mount that does not cost much, but without turning the wheel bearing fall to the ground
because the purpose of performance I do not like to have as much slack.

What do you think about the bearing sockets?

Do you think that it is better to assemble by hand instead of with a press of bearings?

I would greatly appreciate your suggestions.

Regards.
Old May 11th, 2015, 11:22 AM   #90
ALBERT.PACO

And if anyone makes any change in CNC on my hubs to improve them, please let me know so I note to my final design.
Old May 22nd, 2015, 10:58 AM   #91
AussieScott

Default Hub review.

Hi All,
well I've had the chance to roll Paco's hubs a few times now and these are a pleasure to skate.
Better than the original hubs because they do not flex so I get more roll.
Very nicely made and for a first attempt a fine product.

Weight wise these are fine. Heavy for a Deano but the same weight as say a Wicked Lip. This is based on both sets of wheels having bearings installed.
Oh now if you put Micro's in the Wickeds they would be a little lighter.

I've spoken with Paco about lightening them up a little more but even if he doesn't these are a real nice wheel to roll. Fit of tires is fine. Its nice to actually have something consistent because I see big differences for one Deano hub to another.

I have seen very big differences in cir-clip groove placement from Deano hub to Deano hub. My test hub I use check the cir-clip groove fit is placed about 0.5mm further down meaning Paco's tires to be a perfect fit are 0.5mm longer than my Deano tester. Now like I said Original hubs are all over the place so this to me is fine. I'm sure if I went through my hubs I would find some that would fit this tire perfectly.
AussieScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2015, 02:02 PM   #92
wired

Quote:
I've had the chance to roll Paco's hubs a few times now and these are a pleasure to skate.
Yep, what Scott said is spot on.

I received my hubs on May 15th right before BPike, Mort and crew were coming to town to skate. OH BOY! Yanked some what I thought were mini bearings from some VR Race wheels and DANG! I phone call to Doc introduced me to a whole new size of bearings. The "new" 7mm is a 197 and 8mm is a 688. He had them to me on Monday and I rolled them on Tuesday and every session since then.

I have not done a bunch of measuring but the fit is very good. Bearings are nice and tight like I like them. The bearing spacer is very consistent only requiring me to change from a .050" to a .040" shim for my flip axles. The tire fit is very good and the circlip is the easiest to install I have experienced.

A complete wheel with tire, bearings and circlip is 1.25 oz lighter than the ones I made and have only partially lightened. While noticeable when holding a wheel or skate in your hand the difference in skating isn't much to me. But they sure look cool!

Personally I wouldn't change much. I'd certainly not make the bearing bores any larger. For those of us that use flip axles and want a precise fit bearing creep is a frustration. This happens when the fit is just a little loose and the a bearing moves slightly out in it's bore. When this happens removing the wheel is very difficult since the flip is jammed. Of the 16 bearing bores in the hubs I made 1 exhibits this problem and that didn't show up for over a year. I put a dab of Loctite on that bearing and it seemed to fix it. I need to take it apart, clean and run it over to have measurements taken on the fancy machine and find out what the difference actually is.

Paco - A+ effort on design, execution and delivery!

(My daughter enjoyed the sales flyer you used to wrap the wheels. She is doing fairly well in High School Spanish.)

Old June 1st, 2015, 11:31 AM   #93
ALBERT.PACO

Quote:
Hi All,
well I've had the chance to roll Paco's hubs a few times now and these are a pleasure to skate.
Better than the original hubs because they do not flex so I get more roll.
Very nicely made and for a first attempt a fine product.

Weight wise these are fine. Heavy for a Deano but the same weight as say a Wicked Lip. This is based on both sets of wheels having bearings installed.
Oh now if you put Micro's in the Wickeds they would be a little lighter.

I've spoken with Paco about lightening them up a little more but even if he doesn't these are a real nice wheel to roll. Fit of tires is fine. Its nice to actually have something consistent because I see big differences for one Deano hub to another.

I have seen very big differences in cir-clip groove placement from Deano hub to Deano hub. My test hub I use check the cir-clip groove fit is placed about 0.5mm further down meaning Paco's tires to be a perfect fit are 0.5mm longer than my Deano tester. Now like I said Original hubs are all over the place so this to me is fine. I'm sure if I went through my hubs I would find some that would fit this tire perfectly.
Hi Scott,

Thanks a lot for your good feedback about my hubs.

As we talk by private for the next order of hubs I hope about 10 grams less than the current version and I think this will be a good weight for a Deano ALU hub design.

Regards,
Old June 1st, 2015, 12:07 PM   #94
ALBERT.PACO

Quote:
Originally Posted by wired View Post
Yep, what Scott said is spot on.

I received my hubs on May 15th right before BPike, Mort and crew were coming to town to skate. OH BOY! Yanked some what I thought were mini bearings from some VR Race wheels and DANG! I phone call to Doc introduced me to a whole new size of bearings. The "new" 7mm is a 197 and 8mm is a 688. He had them to me on Monday and I rolled them on Tuesday and every session since then.

I have not done a bunch of measuring but the fit is very good. Bearings are nice and tight like I like them. The bearing spacer is very consistent only requiring me to change from a .050" to a .040" shim for my flip axles. The tire fit is very good and the circlip is the easiest to install I have experienced.

A complete wheel with tire, bearings and circlip is 1.25 oz lighter than the ones I made and have only partially lightened. While noticeable when holding a wheel or skate in your hand the difference in skating isn't much to me. But they sure look cool!

Personally I wouldn't change much. I'd certainly not make the bearing bores any larger. For those of us that use flip axles and want a precise fit bearing creep is a frustration. This happens when the fit is just a little loose and the a bearing moves slightly out in it's bore. When this happens removing the wheel is very difficult since the flip is jammed. Of the 16 bearing bores in the hubs I made 1 exhibits this problem and that didn't show up for over a year. I put a dab of Loctite on that bearing and it seemed to fix it. I need to take it apart, clean and run it over to have measurements taken on the fancy machine and find out what the difference actually is.

Paco - A+ effort on design, execution and delivery!

(My daughter enjoyed the sales flyer you used to wrap the wheels. She is doing fairly well in High School Spanish.)

Hi,

Thanks for your good words about my hubs.

Iīm thinking to change the slot bearing diameter from the current 16mm to the 16.02mm to try to make a less tight fit bearing.

I donīt know if you think that is better left the hub with the current diameter of 16mm because some people tell me that is too tight the bearing mount.

Obviously, we need a bearing press to mount and unmount the bearings.

Iīm happy to hear that your daughter enjoyed the spanish fliyer. If your daughter need some help with his spanish, book, or a full spanish flyer, please tell me this and I will send to you.

Regards,
Old June 1st, 2015, 01:40 PM   #95
Wild42

Cool Nice Job!

My set rolled fantastic also, no issues at all with them. The clips fit very nice, the tires slid on tight but not over tight. I see no problems with the bearing bore sizes at all Paco. I would not go larger they will loosen up a little after instal bearings a few times anyway.

I will mention this but it was a very easy fix, and for those with out flips it does not effect anything. The bearing spacing is not as wide as the original Primo Deano. With standard width you through a wheel on and lock the lever, no shims behind the bearing. All this means is for you rolling Boen's or the Rouga you will need to shim.

So here in the states it is easier to buy 5/16ths shims and use them for 7mm or 8mm rather then hunting down true 7mm shims. The 5/16ths shims do not work with the Mini Bearings, the shims rub on the Outside diameter of the Mini bearing causing the wheel not to turn.

As I pointed out, this is a easy fix with the purchase of true 7mm shims, and only going to be a issue with people running flips and want to keep the end play tight on there axles.

Good job Paco, very impressed with your hubs. Have a few ideas on how to lighten the hub's a little, but it will have to wait for another day.

Wes
Old June 2nd, 2015, 11:08 AM   #96
ALBERT.PACO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild42 View Post
My set rolled fantastic also, no issues at all with them. The clips fit very nice, the tires slid on tight but not over tight. I see no problems with the bearing bore sizes at all Paco. I would not go larger they will loosen up a little after instal bearings a few times anyway.

I will mention this but it was a very easy fix, and for those with out flips it does not effect anything. The bearing spacing is not as wide as the original Primo Deano. With standard width you through a wheel on and lock the lever, no shims behind the bearing. All this means is for you rolling Boen's or the Rouga you will need to shim.

So here in the states it is easier to buy 5/16ths shims and use them for 7mm or 8mm rather then hunting down true 7mm shims. The 5/16ths shims do not work with the Mini Bearings, the shims rub on the Outside diameter of the Mini bearing causing the wheel not to turn.

As I pointed out, this is a easy fix with the purchase of true 7mm shims, and only going to be a issue with people running flips and want to keep the end play tight on there axles.

Good job Paco, very impressed with your hubs. Have a few ideas on how to lighten the hub's a little, but it will have to wait for another day.

Wes
Hi Wes,

Thank you very much for your good feedback about my hubs.

And as you knows, Iīm open to hear any idea for to get a better hub and I appreciate all your suggestions.

I think that with a reduction of 10 grams per hub, I will get a better hub.

Finally, I will not change the slot bearing diameter because as you said, after install bearings a few times anyway, the bearing will not mount too tight.

The bearing spacing zone is smaller than the original Deano hub because at the first step of my project, several people tell me that with the original Deano spacing, in some skates is impossible to mount the wheel in the axle because the nut or clip not fit correctly. It seems that the “current” axles are short for a Deano bearing spacing and I have made the hubs thinking on these.

I use a Boen Speed plates and the original Deano hub fit without problems; with my ALU V2 hubs I need to use several shims behind the bearing.

Paco.
Old June 2nd, 2015, 02:08 PM   #97
wired

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBERT.PACO View Post
I use a Boen Speed plates and the original Deano hub fit without problems; with my ALU V2 hubs I need to use several shims behind the bearing.
Better to have the modern narrower bearing spacer than have the hubs not fit on some trucks!

Here is what I made and use:

Nice friction fit on 7mm axles. The .010" width change between spacers gives a nice fit with only one. If your axles are all the same length then you only need to dig out 8 from the same place. If anyone can find Delrin rod in colors at a reasonable price in small quantities I'd be interested in making them easier to sort. The stepper drive I set up on my lathe makes cutting these fairly easy. Interested?

Old June 3rd, 2015, 03:41 AM   #98
JHB
Shuffling Member

I'd definitely be interested in those!
On my Boens, I'm currently using NAS1149C05xx aviation washers as spacers. They come in .016, .032, and .065 thicknesses, so I can fine-tune the fit pretty well, but I get tired of juggling stackups of 2-4 washers on each axle, every time I rotate wheels or clean bearings.
Old June 30th, 2015, 10:33 AM   #99
ALBERT.PACO

Hi all, for the middle of July, I hope to receive these hubs:

- 16 hubs – Anodized Gold Color.

- 8 hubs – Anodized Red Color.

- 8 hubs – Anodized Blue Color.

- 8 hubs – Anodized Magenta Color.

All the hubs are made of ALU 6061T with different anodized colors and I hope about 35 grams per hub (10 grams less than previous model) for install 688 bearings or Bont 167 bearings.

One set of hub is, now, reserved for an Aussie friend, but I donīt know at this moment which color he wants.

Last edited by ALBERT.PACO; August 3rd, 2015 at 08:25 PM.
Old August 3rd, 2015, 08:23 PM   #100
ALBERT.PACO

Hi all,

Finally, after some delay on the cnc process, I hope for the last of this week, I will receive all the hubs.

I share a collage sample with the aluminum hubs in anodized colors.

When I receive all the hubs I will test on hand and I will share the full pictures and the weight of each hub.

And then, all the hubs will be ready to send to worldwide.