S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    


Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Fitness Skating and Training Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Skating and Training Forum Discussions about on-skate and off-skate training, hydration, sports nutrition, weight loss, injuries, sports medicine, and other topics related to training and physical fitness for skaters.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 12th, 2013, 05:47 PM   #1
streamline
Fifty, and loving it!
 
streamline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Victoria British Columbia
Posts: 450
Default The cholesterol lie!

We have been lied to for so long that many can't except the truth because the lie has been incorporated into their lives. Cholesterol is not bad for us. We actually need cholesterol or we die and not just a little but a lot.

First off Mother's milk is the highest cholesterol food on earth. Childern on low-fat diets suffer from growth problems, failure to thrive and learning disablities. Children need a high fat, high cholesterol diet!

Cholesterol is found in every cell in the body (except nerve tissue)-that's how important cholesterol is! Because dietary cholesterol is poorly absorbed - 50 percent at best - the body relies on its own production for its new daily cholesterol requirement - 1200 to 1800 milligrams per day (Mary Enig PhD, lipid biochemist)

Cholesterol is found in food only in tiny milligram (mg) amounts. A pound of butter contains 985 mg of cholesterol - less than a gram. A tablespoon of butter is just 30 mg of cholesterol - and only half is absorbed. You would have to eat two pounds of butter daily in any attempt to turn off the body'sown cholesterol synthesis.

There is no evidence that cholesterol in food raises cholesterol in blood - other than the positive result of promoting higher levels of beneficial HDL cholesterol. Towards the end of his life (good bye jerk) Ancel Keys, the University of Minnesota professor who was first to blame cholesterol (for fifty years) and fat on heart disease, said, "Cholesterol in food has no influence on cholesterol in blood and we've known that all along."

Never eat margarine despite what manufacturers claim. Margarine eaters have twice the rate of heart disease as butter eaters. (Nutrition Week 3/22/91 21:12

I like so many, fell for the lie. About seven years ago I started researching for a proper eating plan. My eyes were opened forever, I will never trust the food industry or medical profession without doing my own research. The lies are abundant, consumers beware!
streamline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2013, 08:05 PM   #2
online inline
Senior Member
 
online inline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: seattle, WA USA
Posts: 3,997
Default

You might want to check this out: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/cholesterol/CL00002

The title and byline follow:
Quote:
Cholesterol: Top 5 foods to lower your numbers
Diet can play an important role in lowering your cholesterol.
Here are five foods that can lower your cholesterol and protect your heart.
BTW, the article is from the Mayo Clinic, one of the most trusted of medical advice sites i know of.
online inline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2013, 09:31 PM   #3
streamline
Fifty, and loving it!
 
streamline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Victoria British Columbia
Posts: 450
Default

First that was not a report or study on cholesterol. It was a report on how to lower your cholesterol. Second any acticle, report or study that uses the American Heart Association (AHA) as a reference is in my opinion, crap. The AHA and Mr. ******* Ancel Keys started the whole lie. As I mentioned in my original post Ancel Keys came clean before he died.

Now you can believe what you like. I would suggest digging a little deeper. Try this site out for starters,

http://www.dietheartpublishing.com/

I'm bringing this up because I have done the research and if you listen you will hear the vioces of change all around you. Lowering your cholesterol will shorten your life.

Where's an article on the site above called "Illustrated history of heart disease" It lays out the lies and how they came to be, that's a joke all in it's self.

The truth coming out about cholesterol will cost a lot of people a lot of money.

Here's something to think about. The low fat, high sugar diet that is being recommended in the American dietary guide lines are causing heart disease and diebetes. The last dietary guide recommends 25% sugar in your diet. We have a F__-'n diebetic epidemic on our hands. By the way the head of the dietary guide line recieves research money from cereal companies. So dig deeper and live longer.

Last edited by streamline; January 12th, 2013 at 09:37 PM. Reason: Illustrated history of heart disease. had the wrong title
streamline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2013, 10:13 PM   #4
jackbkwikn
ALTAMURA
 
jackbkwikn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Melbourne Australia
Posts: 1,391
Default Hmmm

Very interesting...
I think eating all foods in Moderation is the key.
The problem with society today is that where a bunch of sloths that let machines do all the work..
Bit of exercise wouldnt hurt much
__________________
ALTAMURA'S
jackbkwikn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2013, 11:30 PM   #5
genesea
Member
 
genesea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 51
Default

cholesterol is found in every cell including nerve tissue. Also the notion that a high fat diet is harmful has only weak evidence to support it and all of France to counter it.

If you look on pubmed (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed) for review articles on dietary cholesterol you will find dozens of recent articles discussing research on this topic. Some articles maintain that a low dietary cholesterol is important for cardiovascular health (especially in a subset of people that are more sensitive). However, some of the articles are arguing your point and calling for changes in USA dietary recommendations regarding cholesterol.

Anyway my point is that I don't believe the American Heart Association and the medical community in general is trying to fool the masses. It is just that there is conflicting evidence and the basic sciences are still trying to flesh it out.

I think in general replacing saturated fats with polyunsaturated or monounsaturated fats and avoiding transfats are good ideas for everyone.
If you are at high risk for heart disease then I'd consider a specialized diet (like portfolio diet, mediterranean diet, or DASH diet) which do have recommendations about cholesterol.

Lastly, there's some margarines like Benecol and Take Control made of stanol/sterols which have been shown to have cholesterol-lowering effects. So don't villainize all margarines.
genesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2013, 12:07 AM   #6
streamline
Fifty, and loving it!
 
streamline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Victoria British Columbia
Posts: 450
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by genesea View Post
cholesterol is found in every cell including nerve tissue. Also the notion that a high fat diet is harmful has only weak evidence to support it and all of France to counter it.

If you look on pubmed (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed) for review articles on dietary cholesterol you will find dozens of recent articles discussing research on this topic. Some articles maintain that a low dietary cholesterol is important for cardiovascular health (especially in a subset of people that are more sensitive). However, some of the articles are arguing your point and calling for changes in USA dietary recommendations regarding cholesterol.

Anyway my point is that I don't believe the American Heart Association and the medical community in general is trying to fool the masses. It is just that there is conflicting evidence and the basic sciences are still trying to flesh it out.

I think in general replacing saturated fats with polyunsaturated or monounsaturated fats and avoiding transfats are good ideas for everyone.
If you are at high risk for heart disease then I'd consider a specialized diet (like portfolio diet, mediterranean diet, or DASH diet) which do have recommendations about cholesterol.

Lastly, there's some margarines like Benecol and Take Control made of stanol/sterols which have been shown to have cholesterol-lowering effects. So don't villainize all margarines.
A great site, I have used it before. Takes a bit of time to find what one is looking for without the exact wording of a study. With time and patience one can find alot.

What most people don't understand is there was never a study done to prove cholesterol causes heart disease. The American Heart Association, thanks to Ancel Keys and his observation study of the diet of six countries of HIS CHIOCE to determine that cholesterol was the heart killer. There is no research that can stand on it's own that proves cholesterol is bad.

I'm not trying to compare research studies, there are none to compare. It was a lie from the very start.
streamline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2013, 01:44 AM   #7
Foot2big
The Elder Skatesman
 
Foot2big's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 7,428
Default

If you eat properly, and exercise rigorously then who the f' cares about cholesterol?
__________________
An early-morning skate is a blessing for the whole day.
Henry David Foot2big Thoreau
Foot2big is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2013, 02:16 AM   #8
online inline
Senior Member
 
online inline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: seattle, WA USA
Posts: 3,997
Default

exercise is definitely part of the equation.
So eating properly is the rest of it. Along those lines, following FDA recommendations about the eating within the daily allowances of the recommended food groups, is the start and end-all as far as i am concerned.
Given that, there is good cholesterol (HDL chol.) and bad (LDL chol.). As genesea nicely said "I think in general replacing saturated fats with polyunsaturated or monounsaturated fats and avoiding transfats are good ideas for everyone."
Cholesterol is nothing to fool around with. Please take care of your health, get physicals routinely (and they do customarily check your cholesterol level), and follow your physician's advice.
online inline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2013, 02:54 AM   #9
streamline
Fifty, and loving it!
 
streamline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Victoria British Columbia
Posts: 450
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot2big View Post
If you eat properly, and exercise rigorously then who the f' cares about cholesterol?
Cholesterol actually plays a very important role in the functioning of the body. According to the Mayo Clinic, cholesterol is found in every cell in our body and without it our bodies would not function properly. Ynderstanding why it is there and the purpose it serves is something everyone should be aware of.

One of the most important jobs of cholesterol is to aid in the production of hormones. Cholesterol is stored in the adrenal glands, ovaries and the testes and is converted to STEROID HORMONES. These steroid hormones perform other vital duties to help the body function properly. According to 3DChem.com, without steroid hormones we will have malfunctions with weight, sex, digestion, bone health and mental status.

Cholesterol plays an important role in our body's digestion. Cholesterol is used to help the liver create bile which aids us in digesting the food we eat. Without the bile our bodyies are unable to properly digest foods, especially fats. When the fat goes undigested it can get into the bloodstream and cause additional problems such as blockages of the arteries and cause heart attacks and heart disease.

Cholesterol is a structural component of cells. Cholesterol along with polar lipids make up the structure of every cell in our bodies. Cholesterol is there to basically provide a protective barrier. When the amount of cholesterol increases or decreases, the cells are effected. This change can affect our ability to metabolize and produce energy. This can ultimately affect other aspects of our bodies' function such as food intake and digestion.
streamline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2013, 05:02 AM   #10
slowsk8
Senior Member
 
slowsk8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Tukwila, just south of Seattle
Posts: 1,940
Default

You may or may not be correct, but to me you come off as another wack job.
Not because of what you think, but because of how you say it.
It would be one thing to say that Ancel Keys was wrong or that his study was flawed.
But calling it a lie implies he knew it to be wrong and had some reason to want the public to follow bad advice.
Saying the medical profession lied is the same, it implies they where out to hurt us.
Years ago Doctors thought "bleeding" was a way to cure illness, they where wrong, but they weren't "lying" just wrong.
When people thought the world the world was flat they weren't lying, just wrong. Even the few that still think the world is flat are not lying, they really think it is.
Only when they know for sure, what they say is wrong could you say they are lying.
slowsk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2013, 06:49 AM   #11
online inline
Senior Member
 
online inline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: seattle, WA USA
Posts: 3,997
Default

Slowsk8, i agree, 100%.
I am going to completely ignore everything this poster says henceforward. I feel this whole discussion is a total waste of time, a mistake i won't be repeating listening to him every again.
For one, i don't have the foggiest idea what point he is trying to make. THe whole concept of cholesterol, both the good type and the bad type, can be understood by reading thousands of articles, and each of these takes less than a minute to competely grasp. IT IS NOT A COMPLICATED IDEA.
Secondly, the last post by streamline is taken word for word from an online article. He did not credit the source. He did not properly quote it. He did not acknowledge that he was borrowing the entire post wrd for word. He did acknowledge that what he was saying was according to the Mayo clinic, but he went on to make it sound like his words, which they clearly are not. And it was from Livestrong, not Mayo Clinic, which just goes to prove how far off this guy is! But perhaps most importantly, it does nothing to clarify the subject.
Rant on, cut and paste to your hearts delight. You are on my ignore list. Congratulations.
Does this Look familiar?:
Quote:
What Is The Function Of Cholesterol In The Body ... - Livestrong.com
www.livestrong.com › Health › Cholesterol Health › Body Cholesterol
May 12, 2011 – One of the most important jobs of cholesterol is to aide in the production of hormones. Cholesterol is stored in the adrenal glands, ovaries and the testes ... These steroid hormones perform other vital duties to help the body function properly. According to 3DChem.com, without steroid hormones we will have ...
online inline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2013, 03:56 PM   #12
streamline
Fifty, and loving it!
 
streamline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Victoria British Columbia
Posts: 450
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsk8 View Post
You may or may not be correct, but to me you come off as another wack job.
Not because of what you think, but because of how you say it.
It would be one thing to say that Ancel Keys was wrong or that his study was flawed.
But calling it a lie implies he knew it to be wrong and had some reason to want the public to follow bad advice.
Saying the medical profession lied is the same, it implies they where out to hurt us.
Years ago Doctors thought "bleeding" was a way to cure illness, they where wrong, but they weren't "lying" just wrong.
When people thought the world the world was flat they weren't lying, just wrong. Even the few that still think the world is flat are not lying, they really think it is.
Only when they know for sure, what they say is wrong could you say they are lying.
Sorry, he admitted he knew he was wrong long before he admitted it. I read his findings and they were by no means scientific findings and he did flaw his own study. I'm sorry to pop your bubble but people lie all the time. They also cheat alot so don't go making the medical profession into the world saviors, they're flawed with egos like the rest of us. There were also multiple studies contradicting his study but the AHA dismissed them all. People don't like to admitt they're wrong, especial when their carrer is on the line.
streamline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2013, 08:01 PM   #13
DesertSk8er
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Tri Cities, Washington
Posts: 73
Default I agree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by streamline View Post
I like so many, fell for the lie. About seven years ago I started researching for a proper eating plan. My eyes were opened forever, I will never trust the food industry or medical profession without doing my own research. The lies are abundant, consumers beware!
Here, here, Streamline! The more I learn about how the diet industry, the food companies, and pop-nutritionists have been selling us on bad-science-based 'facts' the more I rely on my own research.

My most recent find is Pediatrician Robert Lusting's discussion of the "mythology of fat and exercise", about the insidious role of ubiquitous sugar and over-processed foods in the American diet. Here's a link to a 30-minute podcast:
http://www.npr.org/player/v2/mediaPl...53&m=169144842
__________________
- Marie
Klingbeil / Roll-Line Giotto / Giotto 58D / Bones Swiss
Klingbeil / Roll-Line Mistral / Grease 92A / Bones Swiss
DesertSk8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2013, 05:24 PM   #14
streamline
Fifty, and loving it!
 
streamline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Victoria British Columbia
Posts: 450
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertSk8er View Post
Here, here, Streamline! The more I learn about how the diet industry, the food companies, and pop-nutritionists have been selling us on bad-science-based 'facts' the more I rely on my own research.

My most recent find is Pediatrician Robert Lusting's discussion of the "mythology of fat and exercise", about the insidious role of ubiquitous sugar and over-processed foods in the American diet. Here's a link to a 30-minute podcast:
http://www.npr.org/player/v2/mediaPl...53&m=169144842
Great podcast, crazy thing is everything they talked about is just plain common sense. Most people just go with the flow and end up in a pile of trouble. What people will do to others for the love of money appears to have no limits. Buyer beware!
streamline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2013, 08:05 PM   #15
kentek
Senior Member
 
kentek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 419
Default You are correct

How'd you get so smart? I'm impressed 'cuz most folks today just believe the MSM or their Doctor who own stock in Big Pharma.

Here is a site you can use for more ammo: http://www.thincs.org/

Also, up to date Docs now will have you get a blood test that tests for inflammation, the real culprit in CHD.
kentek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2013, 11:49 PM   #16
skaterdog
Senior Member
 
skaterdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,401
Default

The cure for cancer already exists! It is being suppressed by the government and "Big Pharma".

contrails left by commercial jets flying through cold air pockets are actually chemtrails which disperse some form of harmful chemical/biological agent/energy.

The Moon Landing was a hoax.


Etc. etc. etc.

Streamline....what is your educational background?
__________________
Brakeless Bozo
skaterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2013, 12:03 AM   #17
Negative Nancy
Mrs Self Destruct
 
Negative Nancy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 204
Default

Ancel Keys DID know his research was wrong. He studied 21 countries and found no common theme. He edited his study to suit the result he wanted (that a high fat diet, particularly animal fats, causes high cholesterol and heart problems). The whole low fat thing that everyone follows blindly at birth is rooted in fraud.
__________________
Pop cans and H8. --- SF Bonts/Royals/RBT's
Negative Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2013, 01:41 AM   #18
Foot2big
The Elder Skatesman
 
Foot2big's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 7,428
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaterdog View Post
The cure for cancer already exists! It is being suppressed by the government and "Big Pharma".

contrails left by commercial jets flying through cold air pockets are actually chemtrails which disperse some form of harmful chemical/biological agent/energy.

The Moon Landing was a hoax.


Etc. etc. etc.

Streamline....what is your educational background?
Wrong section sir. We'll be discussing those and other less credible things in the off topic forum.
__________________
An early-morning skate is a blessing for the whole day.
Henry David Foot2big Thoreau
Foot2big is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2013, 06:11 PM   #19
streamline
Fifty, and loving it!
 
streamline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Victoria British Columbia
Posts: 450
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaterdog View Post
The cure for cancer already exists! It is being suppressed by the government and "Big Pharma".

contrails left by commercial jets flying through cold air pockets are actually chemtrails which disperse some form of harmful chemical/biological agent/energy.

The Moon Landing was a hoax.


Etc. etc. etc.

Streamline....what is your educational background?
University of Victoria, studied psychology and sociology. However my education is not complete so I continue to search for the truth. One thing I have learned, there are to many sheep and not enough wolves in this world so be strong and raise a wolf not a sheep!
streamline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2013, 07:06 PM   #20
streamline
Fifty, and loving it!
 
streamline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Victoria British Columbia
Posts: 450
Default something to ponder

Let me stae this first. I have found no research to support this. It is based on observation and common sense (which isn't always right). It is however something every male should be concerned with. Low Testosterone, it appears to be increaseing and not only in the aged.

Cholesterol is responcible for the production of testosterone in the male testies. With a diet designed to lower your cholesterol the male may be dooming his very existance. I for one am not taking the change. If you are a male and wish to live a long and productive life you may want to spend sometime researching this cholesterol myth. If you have doubts, find someone with low testosterone and I'm sure you will have second thoughts.
streamline is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.