S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Main Skating Forum > Outdoor Trails
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Outdoor Trails Tell us about your favorite outdoor skating trails.

Old August 16th, 2006, 06:54 PM   #1
Pepper Montana

Default Skating in Washington Park (Springfield, Illinois USA)

I love skating in Washington Park! It is a wonderful place to be in the early morning. The loop is 1.4 miles long and the pavement is pretty good all the way around. It is busy later in the day so I like to skate at dawn. I love skating here! It makes me happy. If you are ever in the neighborhood and want to skate, Washington park is worth the visit!

Here is my guru. Pat lives in the park. He is a good guy!

This is where the fun begins.

This is the hill that is the most fun. You are easily doing 25+ mph on this and you take a sharp left at the bottom. Look out for traffic. Pay attention!

After the fun corner downhill you wind through these gentle curves. It is easy and exciting to blast through this part of the park.

The lagoons are vibrant with lots of life.

Canada geese stop here on their migrations in abundance.

This should be a symbol for me. If you look closely you can see a Great Blue Heron hunting on the shore. It was just lucky to see one this morning.

In this photo you can kind of see the hill that caps off my loops. It takes me about 45 seconds (if I push hard) to get all the way to the top and it is a fantastic training aid! I love it! It curves back and forth like a big muscular snake all the way to the top.

Last edited by Pepper Montana; August 16th, 2006 at 07:46 PM.
Pepper Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2006, 03:02 PM   #2
online inline

Dave, talk about scenic! But whre are you hiding that gem, as in, which state?

Hey Janneman, your country is amazing too. If i didn't say it before, it's just becuase i'm green with envy. It;s so nice, it drives me to be a bad sport. So there, happy?
online inline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2006, 03:14 PM   #3
speedysktr
President of Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by online inline View Post
... it drives me to be a bad sport.
You're not a bad sport, you're just grumpy.

Dave, are you sure that guy doesn't live.....in a van.....down by the river?
speedysktr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2006, 03:36 PM   #4
Pepper Montana

Quote:
Originally Posted by online inline View Post
Dave, talk about scenic! But whre are you hiding that gem, as in, which state?

Hey Janneman, your country is amazing too. If i didn't say it before, it's just becuase i'm green with envy. It;s so nice, it drives me to be a bad sport. So there, happy?
LOL!
Online, thanks for the laugh. Scenic doesn't really come to mind when we think about Washington Park. (Springfield, IL) It is a fantastic place to skate though! It is just an urban park with a loop of pavement. Fortunately it has some variety in elevation to give your legs a burn. I don't know that I would tell people to go out of their way to skate here. But, if you need to come on bidness or just passing through and you want a place to skate it will work for you.
Old August 17th, 2006, 03:46 PM   #5
Pepper Montana

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedysktr View Post

Dave, are you sure that guy doesn't live.....in a van.....down by the river?
My younger brother wrestled Chris Farley in High School! That is my claim to fame. Pat lives in the park. He cleans up after people and he keeps tabs on everything going on. He is an ex cop and very observant. It is just sad and pathetic and depressing that this is his life now. He needs a life altering experience. I have been trying to talk to him about skating and how it can change a person's life for the better. How a Sunday morning skate with the sun coming up through the trees can set a person straight for a whole week of work and stress. I just don't get it...

Now that I own a van I am worried that someday I may live down by a river. As long as I can afford new wheels and bearings I should be alright though. Can I move in with you if I need to? Thanks in advance!