S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Main Skating Forum > Outdoor Trails
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Outdoor Trails Tell us about your favorite outdoor skating trails.

Old April 2nd, 2007, 03:07 PM   #1
Kathie Fry
Forum Host

Default Best Inline Skate Wheels for a Cement Bike Path?

What wheel hardness would you recommend for skating outdoors on a very smooth cement bicycle trail? People tell me to buy hard wheels for speed but sometimes I have had a problem with very hard wheels sliding instead of gripping on cement.

- Kathie
Kathie Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2007, 03:11 PM   #2
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

What size wheels are we talking? You're on 80mm, if I remember correctly?

And you're a light skater, so I would probably suggest an 83a Hyper Hyperformance +G wheel. I wouldn't go much harder than 83a, or you'll start slipping all over the place.
chuckboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2007, 03:16 PM   #3
Kathie Fry
Forum Host

Yep - 80 mm inline wheels.

- Kathie
Old April 2nd, 2007, 03:21 PM   #4
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

OK, more questions...

What wheels have you tried that slip?
what wheels have you tried that you like?
Do you know the durometer ratings on those you like and those you didn't?

With this info, we can determine a good balance of speed vs. grip that might be more beneficial on the cement surfaces.
Old April 2nd, 2007, 04:35 PM   #5
mvirtue
Rain Coordinator

How about the banked track wheels used for Outdoor Nationals? They are designed for smooth concrete.

And Kathie, I still owe you money
mvirtue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2007, 04:36 PM   #6
Kathie Fry
Forum Host

Quote:
What wheels have you tried that slip?
what wheels have you tried that you like?
Do you know the durometer ratings on those you like and those you didn't?
I tend to buy whatever cheap wheels I can find at our local beach shops and often they are blems, sometimes with the manufacturer's name left off. I haven't really kept track of what hardnesses have and have not worked for me, and the fact that I might have sometimes bought inferior wheels probably has affected my experiences. I think I will take your advice and spring for a set of 83a Hyper Hyperformance +G wheels this time. I'll let you know how they feel. Thanks!

- Kathie
Old April 2nd, 2007, 04:53 PM   #7
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathie Fry View Post
I think I will take your advice and spring for a set of 83a Hyper Hyperformance +G wheels this time. I'll let you know how they feel. Thanks!
I think you'll like these. Smooth roll, decent grip. And since the 80mm and 84mm sizes are "older" models, you'll most likely get the Made in the USA wheels, which were outstanding.
Old April 2nd, 2007, 04:56 PM   #8
ATFandSkates

I skate mostly on really smooth 8' wide concrete paths in florida. On the 84 frame I use Hyperformance +G in 85A, they get good wear but there are times with all the moisture from showers and irrigation systems that 83A would be better.
Old April 2nd, 2007, 05:09 PM   #9
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATFandSkates View Post
I skate mostly on really smooth 8' wide concrete paths in florida. On the 84 frame I use Hyperformance +G in 85A, they get good wear but there are times with all the moisture from showers and irrigation systems that 83A would be better.
I'm not sure of your weight, but I would bet that Kathie would benefit more from an 83a wheel.

When I was skating a 5x84mm setup, I was also using the 85a H +G wheels and loved them. However, I'm over 200 pounds, which has a significant impact. I tried the 83a wheels and they were a bit mushy for me. For someone under 120, they'd be awesome.
Old April 2nd, 2007, 05:18 PM   #10
Kathie Fry
Forum Host

I'm 5' 3" and my weight ranges from about 100 to 115 pounds. This morning I weighed 109 so I better eat salads for a few days.

- Kathie
Old April 2nd, 2007, 05:27 PM   #11
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathie Fry View Post
I'm 5' 3" and my weight ranges from about 100 to 115 pounds. This morning I weighed 109 so I better eat salads for a few days.
5'3" and 109? That's perfect, IMO. (funny coming from a guy who married a 5'9" 115 pound woman...LOL)
Old April 3rd, 2007, 02:00 AM   #12
online inline

everytime i was forced to skate on concrete, the bottom of my feet felt like they were beat with boards. It was very noticable. I'd go with a softer wheel like 83a. I don;'t like concrete.
But i do like salads.
online inline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2007, 04:25 AM   #13
inlina
ABEC42

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckboucher View Post
I would probably suggest an 83a Hyper Hyperformance +G wheel. I wouldn't go much harder than 83a, or you'll start slipping all over the place.
Yeah, the Hyperformance+G @ 83A (green hub) would be a good choice for you Kathy. Make sure you get the 608 hub if you buy online!!!

Another option if it is truely smooth concrete maybe the Hyper Bankrobber, 82A....probably not the 84A since you are quite light. Bankrobbers were really designed to be run on smooth concrete bank tracks so they could be suitable. I beleive it has good grip and speed, but the trade off is wear/longevity when you compare it to the Hyperformance+G, so it is really only suited to spending a lot of time of the smooth stuff.

You can also get a good deal on the old Bont Invasion G2 @ 81A which were pretty good, but maybe a bit soft for smooth concrete. I do hear they were an OK bank track wheel.

CG
inlina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2007, 12:32 PM   #14
Alpha

The Hyperperformance +G sounds good. But I think I would go with the Bank Robbers from Hyper.
Alpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2007, 05:09 PM   #15
Jezskates

Kathy, with as little as you weigh there are a whole lot of wheels that won't compress enough and grip for you. Especially if it's smooth, polished concrete. The Explore Eclipse in 81a durometer was an awesome wheel while it was still being produced. Maybe you can still find some marked down.

The other idea is using a hockey wheel made for polished concrete. The formula used on them will compress and grip for you, but still remain durable.
Jezskates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2007, 12:47 AM   #16
DtEW

Hello all. Lemme tag in on this question while the pan is hot...

I'm a complete newbie to inline skating, but I'm no newbie when it comes to outdoor pursuits. I'm 5'8", 155lbs, and have built quads (mountain biking, skiing, and climbing), but probably weak adductors and calves relative to committed skaters. I will quite surely flounder about on skates for awhile, but I expect to grasp it quickly.

I managed to snag a pair of Salomon Pilot 9 Ti off of Ebay for a steal, but I understand that the 80mm 81A durometer wheels (micro hub/bearing) that come on them are both inefficient and short-wearing.

From this thread, I'm gathering that the Hyper Hyperformance+G 80mm wheels would be a great replacement. However, being that I'm heavier than Kathy Fry, should I be looking at the 85A instead of the 83A wheels? Or is there another brand/make/durometer that I should consider? My expected usage is probably the somewhat sandy bike paths alongside the Californian beaches.

(In all honesty, I do not expect to become a hardcore skater as there are plenty of other pursits in my life at the moment, with more convenient access. And I tend to be more of a mountain guy anyways. That said, I am a firm believer in using the right tools for the job.)

One more thing... I can always take the stock wheels off and put on the appropriate wheels as soon as I get the skates. Would that be recommended for or against?

Thanks for any help!
DtEW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2007, 07:42 AM   #17
inlina
ABEC42

At 155lbs, you're on the border of going to either hardess if your skating was on an avergage asphalt path. I'm not sure what Cali beach paths are like, so you'll have to make the call from there. The sand doesn't really make a whole lot of difference as to which way you go in hardness.

The 688 (micro) bearings your Salomon came with make the change over proposition interesting. It's a good news/bad news scenario.

Bad News: It appears that the 2007 Hyperf+G does not come in a micro bearing hub. I can't be 100% sure as the Hyper website is still showing the '05 wheel, but I'm 99% positive. If you get the '07 608 (bearing) hub wheel, you will also need to get new bearings and bearing spacers. Pretty much every other new wheel model is also standard 608 bearing only, so you are going to struggle to find wheels to go with your 688 micro bearings

Good news: There are some great deals on the '05 and '06 micro hub version of the Hyperf+G floating around. The formulation of the wheel has not really change much over the years (except when they added the +G grip additive), so they are still a great wheel. The hub did change from '05 to '06, but no biggie really. (I have also also heard that 'aging' a wheel makes the urethane wear and grip better...like wine....mmm, grippy wine!) Check out these deals...

http://www.inlinewarehouse.com/descpage.html?pcode=HGM5
http://www.inlinewarehouse.com/descpage.html?pcode=HGM6

Other options;
Hyper X360 - Not as good in roll as the Hyperf+G, but probably better than the Salomon OE wheels. The above online shop has then @ 10 bucks for 4 with a micro bearing hub.....bargain. A bit soft @80A so they may not wear too well, but by-geeze they should grip;
http://www.inlinewarehouse.com/descp...l?pcode=120606

Labeda 'Team Labeda Series' are another option. Either 82A or 84A....maybe the 84A for you.

Can't think of too many other options.

CG
Old April 14th, 2007, 08:52 AM   #18
DtEW

Quote:
Originally Posted by inlina View Post
At 155lbs, you're on the border of going to either hardess if your skating was on an avergage asphalt path. I'm not sure what Cali beach paths are like, so you'll have to make the call from there. The sand doesn't really make a whole lot of difference as to which way you go in hardness.

The 688 (micro) bearings your Salomon came with make the change over proposition interesting. It's a good news/bad news scenario.

Bad News: It appears that the 2007 Hyperf+G does not come in a micro bearing hub. I can't be 100% sure as the Hyper website is still showing the '05 wheel, but I'm 99% positive. If you get the '07 608 (bearing) hub wheel, you will also need to get new bearings and bearing spacers. Pretty much every other new wheel model is also standard 608 bearing only, so you are going to struggle to find wheels to go with your 688 micro bearings
Thanks for taking the time out to help!

Actually, there is no bad news. This is because I have an old pair of barely-used/barely-usable inlines (see here) with a set of pristine BSB V8 ABEC 5 608 bearings and hubs on them that I'm more than willing to cannibalize. Just to check, the inner diameter of the hub is standarized at ~6mm, and the entire assembly width is standarized at ~28mm, is that correct?

Given that I have my choice of hubs/bearings, is there a preferable setup between the two standards? I understand that 688 bearings are lighter, but the clearance pricing for the 688-compatible wheels suggests that the 688 standard is being phased out, or at least becoming unpopular despite its theoretical advantage. Is there a reason for that, perhaps sub-par smoothness and/or durability?

Supposing there isn't an obvious problem with the 688 standard, I might just go for the clearance '05 Hyperformance+G micro at 83A/85A that you mentioned. They sound great and CHEAP!

Alternatively, supposing I'm better off converting to the 608 standard, I have a lot more wheels to choose from at 80mm. The frame (that I do not have in my hands yet) may even allow me to upsize to the less-common 82mm/82.5mm size (the Labedas @ 84A comes to mind). Are there any obvious all-around standouts for this setup that I should consider as well?

I figure I won't consider the X360, since 8x Hyperformance+G micros @ 83A/85A = $31.60, and 8x X360 micros @ 80A = $19.94. I can splurge ~$12 for improved performance and durability.
DtEW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2007, 10:52 AM   #19
inlina
ABEC42

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtEW View Post
.....with a set of pristine BSB V8 ABEC 5 608 bearings and hubs on them that I'm more than willing to cannibalize. Just to check, the inner diameter of the hub is standarized at ~6mm, and the entire assembly width is standarized at ~28mm, is that correct?
Just to clear something up here, the hub is the plastic part of the wheel the urethane is molded to. Where you say hub, I think you mean bearing spacer.

Now, bearing spacers are either;

- Floating spacer - 8mm internal diameter, 10mm wide and are used on skates which have an 8mm axle.
http://www.inlinewarehouse.com/descpage.html?pcode=SFBS

- Sleeve spacer - 6mm internal diameter, 24mm wide and are used on skates which have a 6mm axle.
http://www.inlinewarehouse.com/descpage.html?pcode=SBS

The overall width of the bearing/spacer assembly should be 24mm => 2 x 7mm wide bearings and 10mm of space.

It sounds like the skates you want to cannabilise have sleeve spacers on a 6mm axle. From memory, your Pilot 9's use an 8mm axle and a floating spacer. If that is the case, you can use the 608 bearings, but you'll need to get some floating spacers.

There is no real problem with the 688 standard, just there is no major advantage to using it over a 608. The load/life rating of a 608 is greater than that of a 688, but they are both overkill for most skaters. From the brief calculations I have done using SKF's bearing torque calculator, 688 have a slightly lower rolling resistance too. However, the industry finally realised after about 4 years that consumers were confused and supporting two standards was pointless. (At one point there was three standards, as K2 used 698's, which were half way between 608's and 688's.)

You can continue using your 688's as long as you want, so long as you can get 688 hubbed wheels. You can also get converter kits to use 688's in a 608 wheel, but that's kind of pointless going forward!

CG
Old April 14th, 2007, 07:25 PM   #20
Tayalynn

Default Best wheels I've ever had

I have a set of Hyper Rollo 65mm with ABEC-1 Bearings on my outdoor quads. I call them the "steam rollers". I can not believe how these wheels roll over and just crush debrie.
I skate on a paved path and these wheels crush multch, make toothpicks out of twigs, fling rocks and basically amaze me everytime I skate. I'm thinking if I had some other wheels I'd be doing noseplants all over the place (oh wait, I actually did with my old wheels.) The other day I hit a pretty good size rock (about the size of a large marble) and that rock shot out from my wheels, attacked my hubby who was running alongside me and left both of our jaws down to our knees. I should have been picking myself up off the ground but my skates kept on going.
Taya
Tayalynn is offline   Reply With Quote