S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Main Skating Forum > Outdoor Trails
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Outdoor Trails Tell us about your favorite outdoor skating trails.

Old November 5th, 2009, 04:25 PM   #1
Peerless Guy

Default North Kansas City Missouri

There's a 1/2-mile oval track at Makken Park in North Kansas City (Missouri) which is the smoothest in the K.C. area. It's epoxied or something and is quite fast, aside from the 90-degee turns. It's limited to bicycles and skates, although the occasional dog-walker breaks the rules and strolls on it. It's usually pretty deserted, but it's in a nice park right next to North Kansas City High School so it's not scary at all. Across the street is a nice 1-mile walking track. I've always thought of this as "my" in-line skating track as I rarely see another skater on it. I'm always kind of excited to see another skater and attempt to speak to him/her, if only to say Hey, How Ya Doin'. I do wish there were more skaters in the area, but oh well. By the way, I'm 55 years old but I use speed skates and try to skate 10 miles (20 laps) when I go there. The down side to the super-smooth surface is when it's wet it's too slick to skate on. Sometimes I skate at Smithville Lake also, which has some very nice paved walking trails. It's considerably farther from where I live however.
Peerless Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2009, 12:22 AM   #2
Skatervideoguy

Hi Peerless Guy,

Good to find another Skater in the KC area.

I go to RiverRoll (in RiverSide) on Tues, Either WinWood or SkateWorld (off I-635 & Shawnee Mission Park Way) on Thurs., & Either SkateWorld or Skate City (at 103 rd & Mastin) on Sats.

WinWood has Adult only on Thurs, and SkateWorld has Adult only on the first Thursday of the month - as in tonite.

Come on back inside a bit ! I'm easy to find, I'm usually the oldest, tallest, and about the only one doing Jumps and Spins, along with some footwork - in the floor center.

Harold
Old November 6th, 2009, 03:08 PM   #3
Peerless Guy

Default Likewise

Thanks for the kind words. I live in Gladstone, -maybe I'll try the Winnwood on a Thursday night. I've never used in-line skates indoors, and I have only roller-skated a couple of times in the last 35 years. It does get awfully cold outside in the winter in the Midwest.
It's funny, -when I started with inline skates, I felt as though, aside from being middle-aged, being tall (6'3") would make me look even more goofy. Especially with 110 m.m. wheels, I'm pushing 7 feet tall! In the end, I decided it wasn't worth worrying very much about.
I don't do any tricky stuff (as you do) but I did a lot of skating backwards until I got to the Big wheels, when it got more difficult.
Thanks again. Now I have Two posts! I've been reading the forum for probably 3 years, mostly the speed skate section.
Old November 6th, 2009, 03:33 PM   #4
Skatervideoguy

Hi Peerless Guy,

WinWood is a Soul Nite Adult Nite, and very few - if any Inliners. Goes from 9PM to Midnite. The other rinks and nites usually have a few Inliners skating.

I'm 6'4", & on my Quads - 6'9", and being very Blond, easy to find. With your skates, you're likely to be a bit taller than me.

Too bad I'm no longer running, or have, my 17.5" Stilt Skates - those would have been fun for you to try.

I'm turning 63 in a couple of weeks, so you've got a few years to catch up to me there. I've been skating a little longer than you've been alive.

I Quad Speed Skated back in the 60's, on open bearing Dexter Wood wheels.

Oh, the smell of Rosin and wood floors.

Harold
Old November 7th, 2009, 10:50 PM   #5
Peerless Guy

Default Knee High To A Grass-Hopper

I was roller-skating in the sixties also! B & G roller rink and B & D roller rink in Independence. Had my own skates and all. Sock-hops were an strategic part of my non-existent romantic life! All-day skates were excellent too.
I can see the stilt skates on your avatar.
It's clear that in-line skating "went out" in the eighties in Kansas City, but I love it (I didn't even learn how until the early nineties).
If you run into any in-line skaters willing to venture to N.K.C., give me a holler.