S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Fitness Skating and Training Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Skating and Training Forum Discussions about on-skate and off-skate training, hydration, sports nutrition, weight loss, injuries, sports medicine, and other topics related to training and physical fitness for skaters.

Old September 16th, 2014, 06:25 PM   #1
theDonnybrook
Just trying to keep up

Default Off-Season: What's Your Work Out Plan?

For most of us, it is the time of year to start thinking about off season training plans, transitions to off-season sports, or Indoor. What are you doing this off-season?
Old September 16th, 2014, 07:51 PM   #2
skater_gator

I just got done with Sochi and I've put a lot of thought into my off season time. Mostly, I only get about one month break so I try not to do a heck of a lot. Now that I'm not on a rigid national training program I have tons of flexibility. I'm 31 and have kept injury free for the most part. I actually love doing other sports to help me 1) balance my body out 2) train other muscles to keep from getting to a plateau.
I usually do some hockey, cycling, running or tennis. However, I think I'm actually going to get back to Olympic lifting and then trying some derby for fun. Before I won Duluth in pro women I had taken almost a year off and only did Olympic style lifting. I loved it! So, back to that I think. I have another 3.5 years to think about it more
I'm also working on some dryland videos. These are going to be things that have helped me get where I did.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAY...5EX7dmTTxaz8Qw

Last edited by skater_gator; September 16th, 2014 at 07:52 PM. Reason: adding content
skater_gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2014, 08:30 PM   #3
Foot2big
The Elder Skatesman

I'll just keep skating unless there is rain, snow or sleet. Then I'll go do my daily 1000cals at the YMCA eating pullups and upside down pushups. I can pretty much shred the bowls year round here in OKC.
Old September 16th, 2014, 09:21 PM   #4
WJCIV

My offseason consists of August, give-or-take. During that I don't do any training. I do play a fair bit of volleyball and do a little cycling, so it's not like I completely stop being active. I also spend more time researching how to improve the next year's regimen. Since I drive 6 fewer hours a week when I don't worry about skating practice, there is a fair amount of time for that.

I love the phrase "I quit". It beats more of my opponents than I do.
WJCIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2014, 02:59 PM   #5
theDonnybrook
Just trying to keep up

Indoor isn't an option here, otherwise, that would probably be my off-season for outdoor. I skate mostly outdoor and train for marathon distance races, like the NorthShore. My off season goes from pretty much after NorthShore until it gets nice enough to skate outside in March/April the following year. Because of my current location, ice isn't a great option, either, as the LT club trains during the week and I can't get to their practices, and there isn't really a locally established ST club. I have thought about looking into ST more as a viable option, but the group that is here is a guy and his two small children, and they only skate on Sundays. Either way, that gives me a lot of room to train off skates for the winter months until the Roller-Dome returns in 2016 (and that sounds really far away).

I am still kicking around ideas for a 5 to 6 day training schedule for the off season. I only train for about an hour per day. It is my decompression time after work and getting our toddler to bed. This is what I am thinking so far:

Day 1: Weights day 1 with a core work out and a wall sit to failure
Day 2: Cardio recovery on the bike in the trainer (HR Zone 2)
Day 3: Weights day 2 with a core work out and a wall sit to failure
Day 4: Cardio recovery (HR Zone 2)
Day 5: Weights day 3 with a core work out and a wall sit to failure
Day 6: Off skates specific form drills, plyos, maybe some slide board

I am still working on what the weights days will consist of for lifts, but they will include 2 sets of 5 reps with 2 supersets, with the goal of finishing the weights portion in 35 minutes or less. I am going to be lifting with a Metronome this year to set a very regular rep cadence. The goal is to be more explosive with my lifts and build power in addition to strength. I am going to take a recovery week every 5th week to just do cardio, so probably 3 steady state HR Zone 2 target days and two interval days. The goal is to try to add 5 pounds to every lift each week. I am going to start pretty low compared to where I finished at the beginning of outdoor skating this year, probably deload 20-30 pounds per lift. The goal this year is to build power into my push and use the dry land drills to continue to work technique during the time without skating. The cardio recovery is meant to help maintain some cardio fitness and build mitochondrial density in my slow twitch muscles.

I will follow this plan through the middle or end of January, depending on the weather. From there, I will switch to two days of weights, 3 days of cardio, and one day of dry land. Once we hit April, I hope to be skating outdoor, but will only be skating 2-3 times a week, if that much. Planning 1 day of weights, a day of plyo/dry land, and spend the rest of the week on skates, with one skate session being dedicated to technique drills, at least in part.

Once we get into May, I will probably stop lifting, or do a maintenance lift once or twice a month. The focus at that point will be skating, with a hill day, interval day, a couple of cadence tempo skates, and a volume skate. I will keep this schedule through Apostle, if I skate that race. I will probably keep the same schedule through most of the rest of the season depending on how training and racing goes for the first two races of the 2015 outdoor season.

Now to figure out what kind of lifts to do...

Skater Gator, any chance we will see you at any Marathons or in individual events at indoor nationals or NSC in the next couple of years while you get ready for Korea? Looking forward to hear what kind of lifts you do. Also, thanks for the videos on YouTube, they are great!
Old October 2nd, 2014, 06:22 PM   #6
theDonnybrook
Just trying to keep up

I think I figured out the weights part. Goal is to lift reps fast to build base strength and power base. Reps/sets will be either 5/2 or 6/2, haven't decided, and will probably fluctuate depending on how the first week goes. Weights day is also core day, so I will probably do something core specific.

Day 1:

A1 Rear Squats
A2 Poliquin Step Ups
A3 Splits Squats

B1 Dead Lifts
B2 Romanian Dead Lifts
B3 Kettle Bell Swings (Set of 10)

Day 2:

A1 Over Head Press
A2 Curtsy Squats
A3 Power Cleans

B1 Barbell Row
B2 Weighted walking lunges (12 to 14 reps)
B3 Glute Bridges with Stability Ball

Day 3:

A1 Rear Squats
A2 Poliquin Step Ups
A3 Kettle Bell Swings (Set of 10)

B1 Dead Lifts
B2 Romanian Dead Lifts
B3 Dips
Old October 6th, 2014, 02:28 AM   #7
Thunnus

Part of the beauty of living in south Florida; there is no off season.
Thunnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2014, 05:05 PM   #8
theDonnybrook
Just trying to keep up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunnus View Post
Old October 14th, 2014, 12:26 AM   #9
Foot2big
The Elder Skatesman

Heh..... I just found my new inclement weather Off Season training facility.
Old October 14th, 2014, 10:33 AM   #10
evilzzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunnus View Post
Off-season is determined by the race season, not by the weather!