S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Skating Forum Most of the discussions in this forum will be about inline speed skating but discussions about ice speed skating and quad roller speed skating are also welcome.

Old February 20th, 2007, 01:27 AM   #21
JandKLarson

Default message for mikeyb - Jason will be in Philly soon

A bunch of people from our team got molded by Jason in Roanoke (myself and Kevin included). Jason mentioned he will be in Philly, probably next week or the week after. I mentioned that there was a person from Philly who'd asked on forums about molding himself for customs. Jason said he remembered sending you the kit, but hadn't heard from you. Jason said to let you know he'll be in Philly in the coming weeks, you should call him and he can set something up to mold you himself when he is in Philly. My husband, who's had more than a couple set of customs over the 30 or so years he's been speedskating, is a firm believer of, whenever possible, having the person who is going to build your boot mold you. I also have had several different pairs of customs. Kevin and I both swear by our custom Marcheses (Marchese is primarily known for his short track ice boots, worn by the many world class short track skaters and the entire Korean short track team), but they are steeper in price, and the turnaround time is much longer. Others on our team love their McDaniels, so we decided to give them a go and the price was right. We heard lots of positive feedback from skaters in Roanoke, including at least one person from Team Risk that chuck mentioned. And, as 6Appeal stated, Jason's molds are done in two pieces, which are more precise than the molding sock. If you can't meet up with Jason when he's in Philly, there is someone else in our area (a speed coach from Quakertown) who can mold you for Jason's boots (and has molded others here in our area) if you decide that Jason's boots are the way you want to go. I'm looking forward to getting them in a longmount to use outdoors for the upcoming outdoor season (my Marcheses are a 6.5 mount). Based on the positive feedback and looking at his work product first hand, I don't think you'll be disappointed. So, Jason said to give him a call and hopefully he can mold you himself when he's in Philly.

Julie
JandKLarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2007, 02:16 AM   #22
jackson

Default also want to meet Jason in Philly

Spoke to Jason McD today and he said it might be another 3-4 weeks until he makes it to Philly. If he can make it, I will be there. I want my customs. I can't wait to skate without neoprene. Anyone else in the Northeast who is interested should contact him - would help all of us.

Jackson, NYC
jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2007, 02:31 AM   #23
JandKLarson

Jackson,

When we were molded this past weekend in Roanoke, Jason said he'd be in Philly "within the next couple of weeks or so." When we returned from Roanoke, I had emails from a Philly skate club listserve (Landskaters) which said he'd be in Philly next week. Regardless, as you said, if he's going to be in the general geographoc area in the coming weeks, take advantage of it. He is a very nice man and absolutely commited to his product. And as I mentioned in the previous posting, my husband is an experienced speedskater who's had multiple pairs of custom skates. He asked Jason alot of questions and he was very impressed with Jason's answers, his knowledge and commitment to his product. Additional praise from skaters we know also helped. You're absolutely right in saying that if anyone else in the NE is interested in Jason's boots, this is a great chance to get molded by the man himself.

J.
Old February 20th, 2007, 03:59 AM   #24
ncspeed
trouble maker :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JandKLarson View Post
Jackson,

When we were molded this past weekend in Roanoke, Jason said he'd be in Philly "within the next couple of weeks or so." When we returned from Roanoke, I had emails from a Philly skate club listserve (Landskaters) which said he'd be in Philly next week. Regardless, as you said, if he's going to be in the general geographoc area in the coming weeks, take advantage of it. He is a very nice man and absolutely commited to his product. And as I mentioned in the previous posting, my husband is an experienced speedskater who's had multiple pairs of custom skates. He asked Jason alot of questions and he was very impressed with Jason's answers, his knowledge and commitment to his product. Additional praise from skaters we know also helped. You're absolutely right in saying that if anyone else in the NE is interested in Jason's boots, this is a great chance to get molded by the man himself.

J.

And your Husband is a talker, to cause I was sitting on the chair while your husband was talking to jason but your husband seems to know what he wants though and that is a really really good thing, and I think jason did like 20 some molds and I am glad I was the first one lol
ncspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2007, 04:59 AM   #25
JandKLarson

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncspeed View Post
And your Husband is a talker, to cause I was sitting on the chair while your husband was talking to jason but your husband seems to know what he wants though and that is a really really good thing, and I think jason did like 20 some molds and I am glad I was the first one lol
Yes, Kevin is a talker, LOL. And it seemed that Jason did well at Roanoke. While I am a novice in this sport, Kevin is someone who's been around in the roller speedskating scene a long time and knows what works for him (and therefore to recommend to others) and what not. He's been speedskating for 30 years, has been sponsered (he was on the masters Verducci sponsered team EC Beast) and is still sponsered. And in the Masters plus open race at Roanoke (30 laps of all the placements in Masters, 35 years old and above), Kevin placed 4th at 48 years old in a field largely younger (with the exception of Jeff Foster who is a couple years younger). He takes his role as a speed team coach seriously and wants to be able to give his own recommendation on a product. But, he is also someone who, especially given the recent "wheel battle" will say that any equipment component is a matter of individual preference. Being a Marchese boot enthusiast (and I can tell you that Marchese boots are super stiff), finding a boot maker, like Jason, who will make a boot "as stiff as you want them" was a plus for both Kevin and myself.

Let us know how your boots work out and we'll do the same. Best of luck during the rest of indoor season.
All the best...
Old February 20th, 2007, 02:49 PM   #26
mikeyb

Thanx for the heads up Jand. I contacted Jason and left my contact info for when he has some definite dates.

As a fitness skater who last regularly used a speed boot a year ago, I wouldn't know how 'stiff' a boot should be. Can you explain what you mean by stiffness and how hardness (or stiffness) affects your skating?
mikeyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2007, 09:15 PM   #27
JandKLarson

I'll try to explain. When I say "stiffness" I'm referring to the strength/give of the carbon fiber, as well as how high the carbon fiber comes just above and around the ankle bone and ankle. What stiffness is used in a boot can vary by personal preference, by the type of skating you do (ice versus inline) and I'm told, also by a skater's weight (carbon fiber will eventually break down slightly after prolonged and rigorous use, so a heavier than average skater might want a boot stiffer to begin with). I tried a different brand of boot last year, where the carbon fiber didn't come as high or as much around the ankle as my Marchese boots and I felt sloppy, particularly doing starts. The combination of a great fitting custom boot and the stiffness and support around the ankle, I feel, has given me good control and responsiveness, indoors in the constant turns, as well as outdoors to really "feel" edges. We asked Jason to make our boots stiffer than average. When you get molded for your boots, ask about this issue with the bootmaker. Based on the information you give them, as to your intended use for your skates, if you have weaker ankles, etc., they'll be able to tell you if you might want a stiffer than average boot. Hope this helps.
Old February 20th, 2007, 09:35 PM   #28
6APPEAL

Careful, too stiff will bruise your ankle bones. Talk with Jason. Some folks know exactly what they want/need.
John
6APPEAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2007, 09:44 PM   #29
JandKLarson

Yes, John is right - talk to Jason about it. He'll advise you and won't steer you wrong. We like our boots stiffer (and have had no bruised ankle bone issues) because that's what we're used to with our Marchese boots, but that's our preference, and not for everyone.
Old February 20th, 2007, 10:25 PM   #30
mikeyb

Thanks Jand. I'll likely choose a boot that's stiffer and a bit higher, similar to you.
Old February 24th, 2007, 10:10 PM   #31
Black R/T

i thought i knew that name, i called him just a minute ago, i used to skate with him when i was a kid. im ordering my boot in a few weeks. 6appeal, yours look great by the way.
Black R/T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2007, 11:14 PM   #32
gr82sk8

Default New to the forum...

Hey everyone! I'm new to this forum. I found it while searching for Jason McDaniel. My husband ordered custom skates from Jason McDaniel during the 2006 Northshore Inline Marathon weekend. He was supposed to receive them by November. Late December, I found this forum and Jason's email (we only had his phone number and it wasn't taking new messages.) So we emailed Jason about not getting the skates. He phoned my husband in January and told him that he'd have the skates by February. He said that he had moved and that's why the delay. It is now mid March and still no skates. We tried his phone again with no answer and no room to leave a message. We emailed him again today. Does anyone have any idea how to get ahold of Jason and what may be the holdup? My husband paid a lot of money for the skates and is beginning to wonder if he will get them. Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

Nora McKenna
(Northshore Inline Marathon? Done them all!)
gr82sk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2007, 11:44 PM   #33
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr82sk8 View Post
Hey everyone! I'm new to this forum. I found it while searching for Jason McDaniel. My husband ordered custom skates from Jason McDaniel during the 2006 Northshore Inline Marathon weekend. He was supposed to receive them by November. Late December, I found this forum and Jason's email (we only had his phone number and it wasn't taking new messages.) So we emailed Jason about not getting the skates. He phoned my husband in January and told him that he'd have the skates by February. He said that he had moved and that's why the delay. It is now mid March and still no skates. We tried his phone again with no answer and no room to leave a message. We emailed him again today. Does anyone have any idea how to get ahold of Jason and what may be the holdup? My husband paid a lot of money for the skates and is beginning to wonder if he will get them. Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

Nora McKenna
(Northshore Inline Marathon? Done them all!)
This doesn't sound like Jason at all. I know of people that have only waited 6-8 weeks for their customs. I hope they didn't get "lost in the shuffle". Unfortunately, with custom boot ,makers, it does happen sometimes.

Sorry for your inconvenience.
chuckboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2007, 02:30 AM   #34
mikeyb

Jason just was in Philadelphia and did a number of castings, including me. I've contacted him on the above number ((417) 459-2537) which is a cell. Hopefully I don't get a size 3 boot in pink and lavendar with "land of precious" laces!
Old March 12th, 2007, 01:24 PM   #35
gr82sk8

Thank you for your responses, chuckboucher and mikeyb. I can tell that "this is not like Jason" from all these posts about his work. That's why I am concerned that it's taken so long with no logical explanation. Maybe my husband's casts got lost and Jason is afraid to tell him? I don't want to bad-mouth Jason. I just want my husband to get what he paid for or get his money back... timely. Training season is coming fast for us and it would be nice to have the skates.

Thanks for the phone number. That's the same one we have and didn't get through to him, and no room for messages. We'll try it again today.
gr82sk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2007, 03:18 PM   #36
kentek

Default New skate trick...

Try this: Take a pair of old socks and cut the foot off, keep the upper part.
Put this upper part of the sock inside your skate sock. It will take the pressure off.
kentek is offline   Reply With Quote