S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | SkateLog.com | Email    

Home

*** The SkateLog Forum is Moving to SkateDebate Dot Com ***
(select above link for more information)

How To Get a User Account in the New SkateDebate Forum
(new home of the SkateLog Forum)

How To Get a User Account in the SkateLog Forum
(Note: this forum is going off-line in June of 2020)

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Beginning Skaters Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginning Skaters Forum This is the place for beginning skaters to ask questions and share their stories. We would love to hear about your experiences learning to skate. No question is too dumb!

Old April 7th, 2012, 01:14 AM   #1
phatnsassy
Living on my EDGE

Default Newbie wantin to buy Bonts/Wicked

Okay -- I'm a newbie quad skater. I inline speed but have just started to play with quads. Hooked! I want a pair now but not too sure what to get.

I have been renting and they are the Reidell Wicked, which I like both looks and "semi comfort". Hard to say comfortable because they are NOT mine and do hurt the bottoms of my feet. I like the fact that they are leather so flexible. They don't seem to iritate my toes which surprises me because the toe area is pointy round (lack of better words?).

I inline in a Luigino Challenge so I really like the Bonts toe box. I have semi high arches. I have pretty squared off toes and a pinky toe from hell. It likes to curl under -- NOT from girlie shoes but genetics. So, I like the idea of having a boot molded to my foot that will not tighten too tightly around my evil toes. My Luiginos are a 8/41 (sizes comparable to Bonts??). If I go for Bont I'll measure my feet per their site etc. I'm partial to the leather racer. Carbon vs fiberglass?? No clue what is better.

I don't have anywhere to demo a pair of Bonts -- Darn it! Wondering if that should be a factor??? Wish I could to try 'em before taking the plunge.

If I go for BOnt -- I read that a nylon plate is fine. I'm thinking I dont need anything too spendy but dont want cheep and fall apart stuff either. Should I just go for the basic on the Bont site (want a toe stop). Will it cost me an arm and a leg to mount them (dont want to take on the task myself).

AND I was thinking about putting a small foot bed in my quads.

I like to go fast (although I'm one of the slowest on my team) I also think it would be fun to learn to dance around a bit on my quads.

I'm 5'9 and wiegh 150. Any advice would be appreciated.

And I don't plan on buying another pair for quite some time. Hah. Willing to spend about $450.

Cheers!
phatnsassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2012, 03:13 AM   #2
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Pretty Detailed Response

Hi

Well I hope Rufusprime is still out here and he did not get too mad at our Kathie. Rufus really gets into this advice stuff. Now I can think of others that also could add.

Outdoors, or InDoors in Rinks?

What do You Want To DO if InDoors?
^ I mean you can skate fast ONLY (if that is your wish)
^ You can skate in the middle and play around
^ You can skate fast and play skate.
^ Lots more for indoor Quad Skating

With Quads indoors you have piles of choices.

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave
Old April 7th, 2012, 03:24 AM   #3
JandKLarson

Smile

Due to forum traffic, you'll get a better response if you repost this in the Quad Skating forum (listed first under the "Special Interest" catagories).

We are inline speed skaters who also skate on quads. Our quad boots are Bont semi-custom Quad Racer Carbons and we are very happy with them. For $30 you get a boot in width and length to a tracing of your feet. We both wear full custom inline boots (Marcheses) but have been VERY happy with our semi-custom Bonts. They are heat moldable, and my husband, who used to race on Oberhammers, and raced competitively on quads through the 80s and into the 90s before switching to inlines, has said that his Bonts are the most comfortable quad boots he's ever worn. He won a National title on them last year.

There are more than a few people on the forum who can help you put together a setup based on your needs. We bought our Bonts through DVW here on the forum (we got Snyder Advantage plates), but there are a great number of reputable people who can point you in the right direction depending on your needs - Docsk8, Gino, and there are others. Reposting this in the quad forum will give you a wealth of answers in that regard.

In terms of what plates to put on your boot, there are sooooo many different opinions. Repost this in the Quad skating forum and you'll see....

Welcome to Skatelog.
JandKLarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2012, 05:27 AM   #4
gotsk8s
I bet Godsk8s too!

You definitely won`t go wrong with the Bont. I have 2, a Quad Racer Carbon and a Quad Racer Leather. I love them both. They run big. The QRC is a size 10 but fits like an 11 and the QRL is a 9.5 and is till big. I wear a 10 Riedell and in everything else under the sun. I`ve never heat molded mine. I let the heat from my feet do the molding and I wear EZeefits to fill in the small gaps lol. I also run an Advantage plate on one of the Bonts while I have an Ultimate III on the other. That`s one thing I really like about the Bont with an aluminum plate or any other metal plate is no flex. Power to and from the floor with no loss in flex.
Old April 7th, 2012, 10:53 PM   #5
phatnsassy
Living on my EDGE

Default newbie bonts/reidell

Thanks all -- I've re-posted in quad section.

Went skating today on a pair of Reidells again -- hmmm. Wish there was a Bont dealer around.

To answer the question of what I would like to do...
  • Indoor skating only on quads. (love to skate outdoors but will stick with my inlines so I have remote chance of keeping up with my family).
  • Some goofing off at the rink in the center would be fun.
  • I like to skate fast but that is relative. I don't plan to compete on quads, however. Maybe when I don't have to work and can spend more time skating.
Old May 3rd, 2012, 08:11 AM   #6
Poobah

On the Bont site there's a wizard that will advise you as to which size to pick per some measurements you do. Or it will advise you to go semi-custom (which costs ~$30 extra). Don't assume that the same size boots you fit in a Riedell (and Riedell has all kinds of boot fits) will fit you in a Bont. Bonts aren't really in American sizes.

Best bet is simply to trace your feet (there's a form you can print on their site) and get that to the person ordering/building the skates for you. If you go semi-custom from a tracing you KNOW they'll fit. Plus you can do neat things with the colors.

If you're not a derby skater, I'd probably suggest the Quad Leather Racer. Less expensive and more durable than the Carbons. Doesn't have the thick/stiff leather of the Quad Leather Hybrid or the Derby Patriot Pro.
Poobah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2012, 11:45 PM   #7
phatnsassy
Living on my EDGE

psst -- just ordered today!

super excited! FYI -- the measurement thing didn't work for me - said I would be a mens 10.5 EECK! Way off.

ordered
bont carbon quad racers size 6 (thnks to barbie bont!!) She sent me a pair to try on before I took the plunge. Phew.

now for the wait.
Old May 7th, 2012, 04:44 AM   #8
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Congrats on Ordering

Hey that is Great.

Ok when you talk to her again tell her to post on SLF, yet just do a different Avatar then she used when she first posted.

It would be good to hear from her on SLF.