S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Artistic Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Artistic Skating Forum Discussions about any topic related to artistic roller skating including quad artistic skating, inline figure skating, pairs, dance, synchronized skating, and show skating.

Old December 27th, 2017, 04:12 AM   #1
amohrfeld

Default Mounting EDEA Boots

On a whim I ordered some EDEA Fly boots from Connie's 20% off sale.

So.... How do I mount these things? They came with some screws. Do I use them in the heel? They don't seem long enough.

If I do my normal mount I am worried about drilling straight all the way through the heel.

Also, these things are crazy stiff. Not really what I wanted but we'll see how it ends up.

Last edited by amohrfeld; December 27th, 2017 at 06:19 AM.
amohrfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2017, 02:27 PM   #2
Ancient1

maybe call Connies and speak to Jodie and ask him what they are for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amohrfeld View Post

So.... How do I mount these things? They came with some screws. Do I use them in the heel? They don't seem long enough.

If I do my normal mount I am worried about drilling straight all the way through the heel.

Also, these things are crazy stiff. Not really what I wanted but we'll see how it ends up.
Old December 27th, 2017, 04:43 PM   #3
Dekindy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQujbhW3OI8

Instructional video here.
Dekindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2017, 06:54 PM   #4
Sir Aaron

Quote:

On a whim???!! LOL.

The video is great but yes, you mount using just those little screws. Or you can order a mounting kit for the older style mounting (where you put bolts through the inside of the boot and put a nut on the plate then cutoff the bolt).

The Edea Fly boots are designed to be stiff on the sides where you need it but flexible forward which allows you to bend and flex. It's all about tying the laces correctly. And yes, tying EDEA laces is completely opposite of normal lacing.
Sir Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2017, 12:15 AM   #5
ursle
Street Skater

Watched the video
I don’t like the idea of screwing into just the sole, but so be it.
I don’t like seeing the toe of the plate centered to the toe of the boot, it should be offset toward the little toe, are all figure plates mounted centered?
Combining a plate not offset with an ankle that can’t flex must be, err, interesting.
Why is the toe offset?
Because on ice skates you tip the skate to the side and push, on roller skates you can’t tip the skate over, you have to bend your ankle a bit to the side and allow the wheels to carve a turn, ahh, the trucks articulate, unlike ice skates or inline skates, the trucks can articulate and the wheels can follow the desired arc, while roller skates are offset to the outside of the foot to give the skater balance, otherwise, to much weight would be on the inside of the skate, it’s possible to skate with improperly set up skates, just not as efficient.
Efficient = fun.
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2017, 02:15 AM   #6
Dekindy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursle View Post
Watched the video
I donít like seeing the toe of the plate centered to the toe of the boot, it should be offset toward the little toe, are all figure plates mounted centered?
Combining a plate not offset with an ankle that canít flex must be, err, interesting.
Why is the toe offset?
Because on ice skates you tip the skate to the side and push, on roller skates you canít tip the skate over, you have to bend your ankle a bit to the side and allow the wheels to carve a turn, ahh, the trucks articulate, unlike ice skates or inline skates, the trucks can articulate and the wheels can follow the desired arc, while roller skates are offset to the outside of the foot to give the skater balance, otherwise, to much weight would be on the inside of the skate, itís possible to skate with improperly set up skates, just not as efficient.
Efficient = fun.
I watched a youtube video that instructed offset of center and started a thread about it. Read the comments if you want.

http://www.skatelogforum.com/forums/...ad.php?t=54196
Dekindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2017, 03:51 AM   #7
amohrfeld

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Aaron View Post
It's all about tying the laces correctly. And yes, tying EDEA laces is completely opposite of normal lacing.
So how do you lace these? And no I have not read the instructions yet.
Old December 28th, 2017, 03:55 AM   #8
amohrfeld

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekindy View Post
I watched a youtube video that instructed offset of center and started a thread about it. Read the comments if you want.

http://www.skatelogforum.com/forums/...ad.php?t=54196
I like my mount in the functional center. Meaning I want to feel the same turning behavior when I put weight on the left or right side of my foot.

In the speed skate mount video I would have chosen a position between the two lines.

In the Edea video I would have moved the front of the plate more to the outside.
Old December 28th, 2017, 05:32 AM   #9
larryoracing

Smile Wow what a post! Had to really think about what was said.

Bought a new computer and couldn't figure out how to post the Youtube link for lacing EDEA Skates, but I'm sure you found it and viewed it.

I will say this:

1) The hardware for mounting the Roll Line Roller Skates is smaller in diameter than conventional Synder/American Hardware.

2) On my used EDEA Ice Fly boots I did not follow the manufacturers suggested lacing Technique. So, maybe that is why I didn't get the support needed for those type of boots.

3) I have a Synder Marking Tool and it looks like the people/my rink who mounted my ICE FLY Boots to my Roll Line Roller skates used the line scribed by using the Synder Tool.

4) I got a feeling in the Video the Plates were actually mounted off center, but it's hard to see because you are not looking straight down on the Roller Skate/Boot installation.

5) On the Speed Boot Installation the reason for the new line scribed after the original Synder Line, was the boots were speed boots and not ART Boots.

Anyways I have only mounted one pair of skates and learned the hard way. Later I just let the Rink do it and the installations seem to be fine and it looks like they used the Synder Marking tool.

6) Also it seems if your installation is correct the wheels are equidistant from the side of the boot at all Four Locations.

My two cents...LOL!

Larry O and happy New Year skating!
larryoracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2017, 05:09 PM   #10
Sir Aaron

Quote:
I like my mount in the functional center. Meaning I want to feel the same turning behavior when I put weight on the left or right side of my foot.

In the speed skate mount video I would have chosen a position between the two lines.

In the Edea video I would have moved the front of the plate more to the outside.
Check out the SkatesUS instructions. They mount much differently than the EDEA/Roll Line instructions. When I started getting my daughters skates from Italy the mounting difference was noticeable. SkatesUS mounts the skates with the axles equidistant on each side of the boot.

To be perfectly honest I’m so obsessive I worried about the differences for weeks. Then I decided I should just suck it up and skate.
Sir Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2017, 04:39 AM   #11
markwphoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Aaron View Post
Check out the SkatesUS instructions. They mount much differently than the EDEA/Roll Line instructions. When I started getting my daughters skates from Italy the mounting difference was noticeable. SkatesUS mounts the skates with the axles equidistant on each side of the boot.

To be perfectly honest Iím so obsessive I worried about the differences for weeks. Then I decided I should just suck it up and skate.
+1!! My wife and I got new Edea boots at Nationals and I mounted them according to US Skates websites. I will say for my wife, I just used the screws included with the boots since this was just for her figure plate with the axles equidistant on each side of the boot. For my Fly Freestyle boots I went one step further. I have bolts all the way through the heel with a traditional mount and then used the include screws in the front of the skate. I did this since freestyle can be a little more demanding.

The key is that you MUST use the proper size drill bit if you use the screw mount only. Off the top of my head I don't remember what size the bit was but if you drill a hole too big then the screws won't hold.
markwphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2018, 03:23 PM   #12
SSpinball
Playland ~ Austin, Tx.

I also drilled thru the Fly boots and counter sunk for T-nut insert,
that composite is very tough. I also removed .3" from the heel height.
great boot after my heel height modification !

Old January 26th, 2018, 04:35 AM   #13
amohrfeld

Current Status:

I'm using the Edea screws.

Testing cushions while skating in my kitchen.

skates by Austin Mohrfeld, on Flickr
Old January 26th, 2018, 01:48 PM   #14
ursle
Street Skater

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d.../related?hl=en

This is a plug-in for the chrome browse that will allow one to look at their photobucket pictures, if it works, copy the pictures elsewhere, photobucket stops these fixes frequently.

@Sspinball
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote