S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Aggressive Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Aggressive Skating Forum Discussions about any topic related to vert skating, skatepark tricks, aggressive street skating, action sports events, and the aggressive skating lifestyle.

Old August 21st, 2013, 05:20 PM   #1
oel

Default Banana Rocker Setup for Skate Parks

I am a slalom skater with Seba High Banana Rocker setup, i.e. 76-80-80-76. I want to try aggressive skating starting with ramps at local skate park. I won't do grinds (at least not yet). No sure if Aggressive skating is my cup of tea so have no intention to buy new skates with anti-rocker setup just yet.

My question: is my current setup acceptable/safe/suitable to play in the ramps or is banana rocker with those wheel sizes unsuitable? Appreciate aggressive skating gurus for your answers.
oel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2013, 06:10 PM   #2
RS Dave
YOU'RE GONNA LOVE MY NUTS

The wheel size is fine but make them all the same size(no rocker) or you may find yourself falling backwards on curved ramps.

"Of course I talk to myself. It's nice to talk to somebody sane."
RS Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2013, 06:41 AM   #3
biffsk8er

You can do it, but you may find control issues. Stability is important on landings when doing certain tricks, i.e. : Big airs, 360 degree spins, rolling in fakie, etc..

If you are used to the setup that you have, then you might find that it works for you. However, over time, you will end up realizing the advantages to a flat set up for vert.

On the other hand, if you are not doing vert, and instead skate street obstacles, you can get by more easily with your rockered skates. But again, it is better in the long run to have a flat set up for stability when spinning into and out of tricks.

One last thing...if your wheels are that big, they are most likely also soft street wheels...you'll need harder wheels for park skating.
Old August 22nd, 2013, 03:01 PM   #4
oel

Thanks for the advice given; will give it a try one of these days.
Old August 27th, 2013, 09:30 PM   #5
Foot2big
The Elder Skatesman

Simple fix, invert the rockering.
Old August 30th, 2013, 03:50 PM   #6
GregT

A rocker is fine on ramps/vert. I used to use my old Seba Highs at the skate park all the time, and they generally had a rocker. It should not be a problem on the ramps/pipe. As someone said earlier, though, sticking landings on a big gap may be tougher. On the other hand, if you under-rotate a 360 or 540, you probably have a better chance not eating pavement when rockered.

I was talking to Leon Basin recently at a Skate Cross comp in Seattle. Apparently he skates street and ramps exclusively on a rocker now-a-days (generally Seba FR-As) and he's not had any problems either. He thinks that a rocker actually makes handling the ramp transition easier.

Personally, I think, if you are into slalom or other freestyle tricks, its best to stick with a rocker. It'll really improve your skating skills in general, and bothering with switching setups will just make you skate and experiment less.

But if pure aggro is your thing, with a lot of big jumps and grinds, then a classic aggressive frame with anti-rocker is probably the best way to go.
GregT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2013, 04:36 PM   #7
Foot2big
The Elder Skatesman

I skate flat setup. (4 down) My front and rear wheels wear faster than the centers. I know it's time to rotate when I start eating shi7 on the carves. You really don't want any back to front instability when carving around a bowl.

As with everything, YRMV.
Old September 2nd, 2013, 06:34 PM   #8
oel

Thanks everyone for the great advice. Conceptually, I thought that rocker setup would be ideal for the ramps / verts because profile of skates followed the profile of the ramp. After checking through this forum, nobody was talking about rocker setup in Aggressive Skating until this thread... That was why I posted the question initially.

Apart from slaloming, I do use my Seba High with rocker setup for street / park skating occasionally; quite wonderful for its maneuverability. (I still prefer my K2 moto 90 for general care-free skating.) I found that rocker setup is quite unstable at high speed especially coming down steep street ramps. But what really concerns me is its stability during jumps. I have to be really careful in landing on center 2 wheels or else I am eating pavement. Had a few unpleasant experiences. That gets me worried if I use rocker for Aggressive at ramps / verts. What would happen on "180 Carving" at top of ramp? Its a long way down...

After reading through the good advice, I dug out a set of old worn-out wheels and fitted them on my Seba High. It's a flat setup now about 75mm left on average. I still have another pair of Seba Igor for dedicated slaloming, so no need to mess around with changing setup between Slalom and Aggressive.

I'm 50+; at my age, I want to be cautious & not take unnecessary risks. I just want to try Aggressive to see if I like it, carving 180-yes, airs-yes, some simple spins-yes, 360/540 spin-probably next life time...

Yes, I will definitely put on full protection including helmet and padded shorts. Thanks again for all the great advice. This forum is awesome.
Old September 3rd, 2013, 08:10 PM   #9
Foot2big
The Elder Skatesman

Sounds like a solid plan! (especially the pads and helmet)

Rock on!