S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Skating Forum Most of the discussions in this forum will be about inline speed skating but discussions about ice speed skating and quad roller speed skating are also welcome.

Old August 14th, 2006, 08:01 AM   #1
Clemens

Default How to prepare for a 100km race?

Hello,

this year my favourite marathon (in Hamburg, Germany) offered no skating. So I ran. The result was okay for me (3:53), but I learnt that I prefer skating instead of running.
Now I set a new goal for me: Do a similar thing as skater. Translated into skating this means: 100km races.

There are literally hundreds of training plans for running marathons, but I did not find anything on how to prepare for a 100k skate.
Do you have any experience? Some advice for me? Should I simply convert some of the running marathon running training plans into a 100k skating race training plan (the end times are comparable)?
For the running marathon I started to train 7 months before, starting from a I-very-rarely-ran level. For the 100k I would not start from such a low level. What is the right time to start the training schedule for a 100k race? (The next such races in my vicinity are in Mai and August 2007.)

Thanks for any substantial help!

Best regards
Clemens
Clemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2006, 01:02 PM   #2
Dev Gnoll
Eater of Data

I haven't finished one yet, but:

The therory I have been using is to build time, then build speed. If you have a bike, use it every other week in the "build time" phase so your legs have time to recover.

Basically, you pick a finish time, build up time untill you are doing the finish time on skates a month before the event. If the route has hills, do your time on hills. About two months before start throwing in 1 interval workout a week, slowely decreasing recovery and work times, and increasing reps. At about 2 weeks out, terminate all workouts once you "start to feel good"

Race day, find a pack and stick with it. Better to suffer for a bit to stay in, then to suffer for a long while on your own.

We will see if this works in 2 weeks. After NC 100K www.skatemarathon.com

Good Luck,
Dev Gnoll

www.a2a.net : If you ever think you might want to, register this year.
Dev Gnoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2006, 02:58 PM   #3
Jim White

Quote:
What is the right time to start the training schedule for a 100k race?
Now. If you haven't done a 100k previously, you'll probably need to improve technique, race strategy experience, and test equipment, all in addition to body building. Much better to have done those things early, rather than not have them done by race time.

I don't know when to start ramping up your physical conditioning, it would be similar to running the same time. But if you find that you are peaking too soon, you can back off fromt the physical conditioining, and you'll know how long it takes you.

Definitely try to skate marathons. Skating well is much more tactically complex than running.

Good advice above from Dev.
Jim White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2006, 06:48 PM   #4
skaterdog

I just completed a 60 mile event a little over a week ago and I'm doing another on September 9th. The longest training skate I had done was 40 miles.

I mixed in two very intense and painful 20 mile race pace workouts with some longer slower skates each week.

I felt much better this year after the event than I have in the past which I attribute to the intensity of those two workouts during which I am pulled by a fanatical and psychotic training partner.

I would advise pushing your limits a bit this way.

BTW the first event had only about 12 skaters mixed in with cyclists. The next one is an event dominated by handcyclists.
skaterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2006, 06:59 PM   #5
LEONE

Default 111 km

Good evening at all,
i`m Marcel from switzerland.
Concerning inline races with a distance over 100 km .
I had done this twice and will do this next sunday again.
Look at
www.one-eleven.ch for further information.
Greetings for all skaters all over the world, Marcel
LEONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2006, 07:42 AM   #6
Clemens

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEONE View Post
I had done this twice and will do this next sunday again.
Hello Marcel,

can you give some hints, how you prepare for St. Gallen?

Good luck and weather for Sunday!

Gruezi
Clemens
Clemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2006, 08:10 PM   #7
NightWind

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaterdog View Post
I am pulled by a fanatical and psychotic training partner.

I would advise pushing your limits a bit this way.

BTW the first event had only about 12 skaters mixed in with cyclists. The next one is an event dominated by handcyclists.
Hi to everybody!))
I know a few people whose training partners are cyclists. It really helps to build up speed!)) Though it's not always easy to find enough space for the cyclist and the skater because of the traffic.

I think a 100K thing is really a very demanding task. Good luck to you, Clemens!))