S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Main Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Skating Forum General discussions about all types of skating, including how to skate, places to skate, skating events, skating equipment, and any topic that does not fall under one of our other skating forums.

Old February 15th, 2019, 10:27 PM   #1
nickajshelden
Blades

Default Pwerslide Trinity Boots + Quad plates

just a random idea I have been playing with in my head.
gonna outline it here and gather some thoughts before I start actually working on it.
I have (and love) the trinity tech. I use a reign helios boot for it. really like that boot. stiff, light, durable. but I wanna use quads (especially in china). trinity is 3 point mounting. a quad uses a plate with 2-6 point mounting (usually).
Idea: create an adapter plate (probably steel...it has to be stiff) that screws into the boot and the plate.
I hope to prototype this in the next couple weeks on the 3d printer
thoughts?
Old February 22nd, 2019, 04:43 PM   #2
nickajshelden
Blades

I have made a prototype (yes, this has holes for the quad plate as well, final would probably not have those holes. those would be drilled out, but this prototype is hollow). I have 3d printed it and will see if the trinity mounts line up and all. Then I will make it look nicer and print it solid with kevlar reinforced plastic.
Old February 22nd, 2019, 08:53 PM   #3
nickajshelden
Blades

ok, so I have a prototype installed, and it is surprisingly close to what I was looking for. I need to move the holes for the trinity mount on the toe a little closer together, I should probably thin the plate down by a millimeter or two, and lower the heel, but otherwise, it seems to do the job. I just stuck it together for these photos and did not tighten anything down.

Old February 22nd, 2019, 08:55 PM   #4
nickajshelden
Blades

while I feel I like where the wheels are, with the added height, the toe stop requires a dangerous amount of lean before it engages. may have to find a way to move that.
btw, the plate I am using for this is from a pair of roller derby viper m4's. absolute trash.
Old February 26th, 2019, 09:15 PM   #5
nickajshelden
Blades

while I had rolled down the hallway on the first prototype, I did not try to actually skate on it. Well, here is the second prototype, and it worked quite well. (more text below pictures).

Note the screws on the back are still a little loose as the plate is too thin for the screws I had on hand.[/IMG]

I put the regular hockey skate on and took them for a spin. It actually handled really well. Very responsive, quite comfortable. A little on the tall side for a quad skate, but not a problem. The toe stop wasn't as bad as I initially thought. My foot height is actually lower in this than the hockey skate (by maybe 5 mm, not much).
Unsurprisingly this did not last long. After a jump into a hockey stop on a rough surface, I started hearing a bit of crackle. It was still attached and I skated the quarter mile back to my office with no trouble where I managed to rip off the wheels. this is still a prototype and I printed it with cheaper plastic with a hollow fill. I had not initially even planned on skating on this one, but it turned out so well.

I have strengthened the areas that failed last time and am now printing a solid prototype using the kevlar plastic (4x as expensive, but still only $20).
Old February 26th, 2019, 09:20 PM   #6
nickajshelden
Blades

here is a render of what is currently printing. It should be done printing sometime around midnight....lovely
Old February 28th, 2019, 09:46 AM   #7
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Cool stuff.
Old February 28th, 2019, 05:40 PM   #8
bjvircks
Major Trouble

neat idea! I'm surprised your 'hollow' (internal crosshatching for fast printing and less material use) held up as well as it did.

What design tool are you working in? What type(s) of 3D printing available to you? What printing materials have you got?

I've got some 'thoughts' on your design if you are open to input.

Brad
Old February 28th, 2019, 06:29 PM   #9
nickajshelden
Blades

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjvircks View Post
neat idea! I'm surprised your 'hollow' (internal crosshatching for fast printing and less material use) held up as well as it did.

What design tool are you working in? What type(s) of 3D printing available to you? What printing materials have you got?

I've got some 'thoughts' on your design if you are open to input.

Brad
the 'hollow' design did surprise me. it did break after about half a mile though.
Materials....the green stuff is some standard plastic they provide that may or may not be biodegradable. comes in a lot of colors, but they had a couple spools of green on hand and I didn't care. the black plastic you will see in a moment (about to post an update) is ..."Onyx chopped carbon fiber filament, a plastic which results in both a strong and flexible material. Due to the material properties, the resulting product is often very durable and is at reduced risk of thermal deformation or warping as it is expressed onto the build plate. " (copied from a website). I also printed the black one completely solid. That's it as far as what is here, but I imagine I could do better somewhere else. in the past I have worked with metals, but weight was rarely an issue there.
Old February 28th, 2019, 06:35 PM   #10
nickajshelden
Blades

So the 3rd prototype finished printing and I took it to the rink and thoroughly abused it for the entire session. It held up with almost no signs of wear.
Here is it mounted:

I found one slight issue that may not have any easy solution and I might just let nature take care of it...

with the amount of lean out of a stiff boot like this, the wheels are digging into the plate, both the original plate and the one I made. I might just let that happen. It didn't make a difference to skating and the wear will naturally shape the plastic in a way that is difficult to print. I rounded out the edges a bit and made a right foot so I will take the following design as my model 1.0 to the printer during lunch. It will probably take 12 hours to print, so next update on friday. (also, probably will only print the right, as it is mostly cosmetic changes, the left that I used last night worked just fine.)
Old February 28th, 2019, 06:37 PM   #11
nickajshelden
Blades

oh, and once I'm happy with this, I'll post a version of the plates without holes for the quad plates, just in case someone wants to try their own trinity boots on a quad plate.
Old February 28th, 2019, 06:40 PM   #12
nickajshelden
Blades

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjvircks View Post

What design tool are you working in?

Brad
forgot to answer that. tinkercad. for something as simple as that, tinkercad does fine. I've used blender before and I have an older version of AutoCAD, but I feel like those are both a bit overpowered for what I'm doing here.
Old March 1st, 2019, 06:22 PM   #13
bjvircks
Major Trouble

Was just wondering about what you use....

I've recently retired from a fun career of hands-on MCAD/ECAD/FEA and simple as well as complex 3D printing. I'm a mechanical engineer specializing in aircraft avionics. Given your location I'm guessing you might be familiar with aircraft. I see you draw on quadpad! Kindred Spirit?

-Pax
When the going gets tough, the tough get going; the smart left a long time ago.

and the really really smart have always been somewhere else!!
Old March 1st, 2019, 09:15 PM   #14
nickajshelden
Blades

due to the printer running out of filament, the plate is still printing. not sure if I wanna risk the rink on a friday night and it is looking like rain, but we will see if I make it onto both feet tonight...
Old March 4th, 2019, 11:10 PM   #15
nickajshelden
Blades

Here is a plate mounted without the quad bit:

and here is both skates assembled:

I took the skates out for a spin friday evening for a few miles. not bad, but definately harder than using an inline on the roads here. Saturday I used these skates for part of the session at one of the rinks. Worked quite well. I think mission success.
As far as sharing the model, I'd be glad to, but I'd like to share it upon request just so I know where it is going, so, if you have trinity boots and want to mount quads, let me know.
Old March 20th, 2019, 11:59 AM   #16
fierocious1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickajshelden View Post
Here is a plate mounted without the quad bit:

and here is both skates assembled:

I took the skates out for a spin friday evening for a few miles. not bad, but definately harder than using an inline on the roads here. Saturday I used these skates for part of the session at one of the rinks. Worked quite well. I think mission success.
As far as sharing the model, I'd be glad to, but I'd like to share it upon request just so I know where it is going, so, if you have trinity boots and want to mount quads, let me know.
You may have to make your own plates. I built my plates to use Powerslide inline speed boots.[IMG]Total setup. R2 Powerslide inline boot mounted on a quad plate with 195mm mounting points. Overlength cones, DA45 flips overlength kingpins. White Shaman wheels. It takes a mill and a lot of setup time. I have one mill permanently set up with fixtures so can I experiment a bit. As you know the mounting bolts can get in the way of your truck and kingpin locations. by fierocious1, on Flickr[/IMG]
Old March 22nd, 2019, 02:38 AM   #17
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Those quad plates re too far back. There is not enough reinforcement where the hardware mounts.
Old April 2nd, 2019, 05:41 PM   #18
fierocious1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post
Those quad plates re too far back. There is not enough reinforcement where the hardware mounts.
Could be a bit long for the boot too
Old April 2nd, 2019, 06:28 PM   #19
Joey

I really hate to be a pill, but...

WHY???

Not being a troll. Peace.
Old April 2nd, 2019, 08:51 PM   #20
nickajshelden
Blades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
I really hate to be a pill, but...

WHY???

Not being a troll. Peace.
no worries about being a pill...

WHY NOT!!!??

kidding aside, I like those particular boots, I like quads, I can make stuff....