S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old October 5th, 2018, 01:52 AM   #1
Oicusk82huh

Default What's your favorite skate?

What's your favorite skate you've ever had?
Oicusk82huh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2018, 12:23 AM   #2
jackbkwikn
ALTAMURA

One I'm on now.
Altamura jets. Boen world champs.And really liking the metal deannos.
Old October 6th, 2018, 02:16 AM   #3
Dec8rSk8r

They are in my avatar.
Dec8rSk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2018, 02:56 AM   #4
kcire10

The 220s I have now with the Snyder Super Deluxe Plates. I haven't gotten the Roll Lines mounted on my Edea's yet so I have to go with the 220s. They are a bit heavy but I manage to pull off different moves, skate smoothly and I figure they are helping to strengthen my leg muscles.
kcire10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2018, 10:17 PM   #5
hoohoorjoo

Default Love my current setup with Solaris boots!

Mine are on a Snyder Advantage plate with custom white 98A Phantom Wides (in my avatar).
hoohoorjoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2018, 11:05 PM   #6
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

I've had 2 favorite skates. My first was a white Magnum DA45 short plate on a SG Rebel boot, Qube 8 balls, and Purple Power Plus wheels.

Why a favorite. Well, it was my first GOOD skate. AKA, not a package skate. Short Forward DA45 was/is amazing, the $60 Red Rebel boot got along nicely with my wide flat foot. I loved it for its' relatively low price. About $130 for the plate and trucks, $60 for the boot. Great bang for the buck and Magnesium plate cool factor.

Next was the Invader DA45 Short Forward on a Bont Quad Racer leather. Essentially the same setup as the Rebel/Magnum, this skate benefitted from the second skin fit of the Bont Boot, and I got a kick out of the great performance of the low cost Invader plate. Had a few hot spots on the boot initially, but after heat molding, never had a problem again, even after 7 years. No heel lifting and a great feel for pushing through the heel. The skate feel wired to my brain. Think and turn. No delay.
Old October 10th, 2018, 02:23 PM   #7
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

Oberhamer XL-35 boots
Satellite plates w/ Laser trucks
Embossed pink Labeda Interceptor wheels
chuckboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2018, 03:23 AM   #8
quantoo

Default broke! but liked the hebegebe big wheel setup the most

If i was cashed up i'd order a set with hopefully 22mm bearings.
Man they were good!The thane is scotts 95a from memory.
Id still keep my second favorite superwhite magnum 45 da with labeda red stilletto wheels mounted to soccer boots.
quantoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2018, 12:17 AM   #9
BPTS
I made your Mom blush....

What I'm rolling now, Solaris boots with S/A XK-4 plates, Labeda Stilleto or SureGrip Varsity wheels depending on the rink.
Old October 14th, 2018, 03:59 AM   #10
Slowmo63

395 USA Redlines with proline plates and vanguard graphic speed wheels
Slowmo63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2018, 08:46 AM   #11
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Default Diligence with an Arius.

Was rolling a size 12 Powerdyne arius red(192mm wheelbase), mounted to a size 10 vanilla freestyle rolling on 98A SG Zombie Mids and Lows and eventually 95A royal assassins.

Wore those plates and trucks out. Went to buy a replacement, sold out of size 12, bought a size 11 (186 mm wheelbase now) for significantly less than I originally paid since the old red ones were discontinued due to toestop boss breakage. Win for me, I don't use stoppers

Had some hardened stainless steel shim stock(.005 thickness) laser cut to guard the plate from the truck movement. Also had the trucks modified with press fit brass axis pin sleeves instead of using the much more sloppy stock plastic ones. The axis pins are so snug in the bores the pins cannot fall out. Currently there are only 8 trucks in existence with this modification.

We also cleaned the threads of any anodizing. Indexed our axis pins so when they are installed we don't deform the hinge and pinch the truck. Then installed them with loctite. Minimal torque on the assembly was another key component for better edging.

This eliminates all play in the hinge style setup which makes the plate more responsive, corner better, and increases grip. The shims also protect the plate. The axis pin sleeves can be replaced if worn, they do not wear the trucks like before. They were so sensitive at first, I almost couldn't skate them lol.

I also have a technique to do the same for the plastic stock parts now which makes them virtually identical to my much more expensive setup. The shims work with the stock parts as well as my modified trucks, be it red or platinum versions.

Gen1 trucks are better aligned than gen2s. The stabilization pins can be removed if extra action is wanted, they really aren't even needed. Unless the cushion tears in half, it cannot come out.

We cut down the height of the stock cushions as they are often too tall with the gen1 versions. Not only did it help with insttalling the shims, it helped with the ramp up resistance.

The last piece of our puzzle will be pressing the old axles out and getting better axles put in while correcting any misalignments on the axis bore to axles.(going for titanium onesa!)

My boot is wrecked, it's about time to retire it.

Bonts likely in the next boot for those plates, skate will probably weigh in at 1000g

I stuck with this plate because of how solid the hinge felt. The input/output relation is superb. No squishy cushions between you and the skating floor.

To get good action on traditional quads, some people have changed out to taller cushions, which can increase deflection and reduce power transfer a little as well as cause a small delay between input/output.
Old October 14th, 2018, 09:02 PM   #12
fierocious1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post
To get good action on traditional quads, some people have changed out to taller cushions, which can increase deflection and reduce power transfer a little as well as cause a small delay between input/output.
I never felt I lost anything by going to taller cushions, basically it lets you tune the curve of input/output(on DA45s). Also by shimming or removing shims, there is not a delay, just faster or slower reaction to input. You may be more likely to have boot bite if slowed down too much.
I never did get into the Arius, just ran out of time to play with them. BTW, excellant work on them Mort! Always wanted to give them a shot, Also too bad that Sure Grip stopped on their lengths just short of 8". I like long plates, especially if I could have got my hands on a longer mag Avenger plate.
Old Yesterday, 03:43 AM   #13
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierocious1 View Post
I never felt I lost anything by going to taller cushions, basically it lets you tune the curve of input/output(on DA45s). Also by shimming or removing shims, there is not a delay, just faster or slower reaction to input. You may be more likely to have boot bite if slowed down too much.
I never did get into the Arius, just ran out of time to play with them. BTW, excellant work on them Mort! Always wanted to give them a shot, Also too bad that Sure Grip stopped on their lengths just short of 8". I like long plates, especially if I could have got my hands on a longer mag Avenger plate.
It's not a big drawback, but I feel it. Such is the nature of the beast. The softer the cushion the more it can be felt, but a hard cushion which is laterally supportive, is not easy to deflect to make a good carve.

Some people tend to have issues with them, mainly because no one ever thought of the real issues the plate has. You over tighten the axis pin, it performs like crap, it wears the hinge parts at an accelerated rate, and reduces the turning input/output. Also the stock parts have .010 inch of play, so they don't perform as well until you shim the plate.

I removed my stabilization pins for several weeks, really only helps on very slick floors without needing a cushion change so I don't need to pull the axis pins and reassemble with loctite. The assassin wheels have enough room to take the stabilization pins out without even removing the wheel. Though to put them back in I take the wheels off.

I put them back in at a rink where the lighting was poor, the floor uneven, and a bit too sticky for those other combined conditions. Needed to slow it down some.

The good thing about the plate is its ability to have a very linear input to output. Where a traditional kingpin setup is less so. This is a catch 22 though. Because of the increase in precision it is far less forgiving and often difficult to stay centered. More so when the assembly is brand new and has not been lapped in.

The plate with Ti axles should weigh in at about 310g tho