S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old October 8th, 2018, 12:13 AM   #41
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

FB problem is people can't learn to sift through the BS without getting caught up in it.

I'd recommend to make an account, get into the "skate addiction" group. That's all you'll need. Many experienced people on there, and the admins don't tolerate BS.

You can get a LOT of very reasonably priced gear, or machinists making things for you/others for the hobby we love.

There's a few other groups, but that one is the best run, many posts will be done across almost all the Facebook skating groups so no worry about missing anything. You will not find people running extortionate prices on gear, when they try, they are QUICKLY shot down. In some past cases, bogus bones Swiss bearings sold on there are recognized and put to a stop.

It's worth it for that at least.

On a different note,
Distance skated doesn't necessarily denote skillsets. Outdoors does not usually lend itself to lots of variables that one learns proper edging or weight transfers, transitions, crossovers or quick foot replacement to step around a wayward skater.

I'd recommend you look up slalom skating(cone skating), which has a lot of edging and foot placement skills involved
Old October 10th, 2018, 04:42 AM   #42
JerryR708

The skating rink I just discovered is just 10 miles away in the middle of nowhere, has wood floors with all the nostalgia throughout you could ever hope for, only 5.00 for admission and free skate rentals, nobody but me skating...I have the whole rink to myself to practice. I love my new found local skating rink and will now support them every chance I get. One of the staff offered me some free lessons because it was not busy at all. I lived next to this rink for 20 years and never visited it or knew that is was even there in this field in the middle of nowhere. I discovered a gem and will make this my go to paradise every chance I get. SUPPORT YOU LOCAL SKATING RINKS before they all...disappear.
JerryR708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2018, 07:59 PM   #43
Tislord

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryR708 View Post
The skating rink I just discovered is just 10 miles away in the middle of nowhere, has wood floors with all the nostalgia throughout you could ever hope for, only 5.00 for admission and free skate rentals, nobody but me skating...I have the whole rink to myself to practice. I love my new found local skating rink and will now support them every chance I get. One of the staff offered me some free lessons because it was not busy at all. I lived next to this rink for 20 years and never visited it or knew that is was even there in this field in the middle of nowhere. I discovered a gem and will make this my go to paradise every chance I get. SUPPORT YOU LOCAL SKATING RINKS before they all...disappear.
Agreed on support your local rinks. The fact that you were the only one there is scary for the future of that rink.
Tislord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2018, 03:57 AM   #44
Presston

Fubar.... where exactly are you located? There are a plethora of rinks in Michigan. Over 30 the last I checked.

Exactly what kind of session are you looking for? I know for a fact it is damn near impossible to skate outdoors in Michigan. (damn roads)
Presston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2018, 08:18 PM   #45
FUBAR
Rookie

Iím between Ann Arbor and Detroit. Iím looking for a safe, controlled environment, a floor thatís clean and free of debris to learn and practice. I would want a rink that wonít tolerate people trying to throw or knock each other down, going the wrong way, texting or surfing the web on the floor. I would like the indoor experience to offer something better than the outdoor experience. I donít want a floor full of chaos. Perhaps Iíll change my mind when I improve.

A better musical selection would be nice. At a minimum, I would not want to hear the same set of songs repeated multiple times in the same session.

I wouldnít mind learning to dance.
Old October 18th, 2018, 11:39 PM   #46
Presston

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUBAR View Post
I’m between Ann Arbor and Detroit. I’m looking for a safe, controlled environment, a floor that’s clean and free of debris to learn and practice. I would want a rink that won’t tolerate people trying to throw or knock each other down, going the wrong way, texting or surfing the web on the floor. I would like the indoor experience to offer something better than the outdoor experience. I don’t want a floor full of chaos. Perhaps I’ll change my mind when I improve.

A better musical selection would be nice. At a minimum, I would not want to hear the same set of songs repeated multiple times in the same session.

I wouldn’t mind learning to dance.
If you are looking for something way off the beaten path "Roller Skate Park" in Sumpter, just south of Belleville. Its not much, but it was my home rink for about 8 years when I lived in Ypsilanti. It sounds like you were here.

Skating Station II is located in Canton. That one has a good floor. Its a nice medium sized rink.

Bonnaventure is located in Farmington Hills. Another nice, medium sized rink. It has an identical layout as my home rink.

Lincoln Park Skating Center (in Lincoln Park) was an ok time. I was competing against their jamskating team at the only occasion I went there, so my experience my differ. It was jam packed that night too.

Skateworld of Troy. Awesome rink. Its way out of my way, but always worth the trip. Great rink, great people.

There is another one in Monroe. I always wanted to go, but never did.

If you wanted to drive to Jackson, we should be starting to host adult nights again soon. They start up in the winter, usually.

When you think you're confident and ready Adult night @ Northland on 8 Mile is something you must experience for yourself. The best adult nights... if you can hang, that is.
Presston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2018, 12:34 AM   #47
fierocious1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyodinosaur View Post
'FB is such a sh*t platform. People are so stupid for using it when a site like this is so much better. Something that can be a repository of knowledge for years and years. Yeah. There was some great info on there. But it was 3 months ago, ergo, you will NEVER see it on FB again.'

Sadly, I have to fully agree with this. I don't even have a facebook, and I certainly don't regret it.

As to the rink here: They are going to put rubberised flooring down in the eating area and new carpet in the lobby and other off-rink areas. They also mentioned wanting to get a floor scrubber for the rink area, but that it would have to wait until after the flooring and carpet was done. I think floor scrubbers are fairly expensive. But you have to admire them for taking over a pretty rundown rink and making it better little by little.
skatelogforum.com, the only place to preserve history....

Last edited by fierocious1; October 23rd, 2018 at 03:31 AM.
fierocious1 is offline   Reply With Quote