S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old September 21st, 2018, 12:45 PM   #1
FUBAR
Rookie

Default My local rinks are terrible.

I am having a hard time supporting my local rinks. I went skating last night at a rink Iíve never been to. The floor was filthy. I had a new set of white wheels that came home black. The staff and patrons were frustrating. Floor guards were on cell phones. Kids and adults stopping on the floor or going the wrong way. Who taught these people how to turn? Enter the turn first. Nobody seemed to care about anything. I will not support my local rinks. They are not worth the drive or cost of admission. The 3 rinks Iíve tried have all been similar. I will have to continue skating outside. People are idiots, or maybe Iím the idiot for actually looking at the code of conduct. Goodbye indoor skating. I wish I never met you.
Old September 21st, 2018, 06:11 PM   #2
wyodinosaur

Default That's really sad

Wow. It sounds like you don't have much choice other than to skate outside.

And then everyone will wonder why those rinks disappear. I was afraid our local rink might disappear until new owners took it over and are running it right. Maybe you will get lucky and some new owner or manager will come along and make a difference to one of your rinks.
wyodinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2018, 07:59 PM   #3
Skatervideoguy

Hi FUBAR,

What you are finding is shamefully Not Uncommon in my experience.

Which City and Rinks are you referring to ?

If you'd rather not not state in the Open, please send me a private message.

Harold
Old September 22nd, 2018, 03:26 AM   #4
FUBAR
Rookie

The names of the rinks arenít important. There are only so many rinks in the Michigan area. I still have a few more to try that are close enough to consider going to. It was raining yesterday so I thought it would be fun to try a 70ís, 80ís, & 90ís night. I was wrong. Iím thinking of getting some cheap bearings to put in my skates so I can skate in the rain. Winter is coming. What will I do then? I might have to try ice skating. There are a lot of ice rinks around. Maybe the crowd will be different. For some reason I doubt it.

Is there a list of shame? A collection of places to avoid. Perhaps a list of well run rinks would be better. I donít have anything to add to the good list.
Old September 22nd, 2018, 03:39 AM   #5
sk84luv
..., therefore, I skate.

Default I Feel Your Pain

My poorly run rink has been a furniture store since 2015. I've had dreams about skating around the sofa display.

Now, at age 75, my closest rink is 100 miles A beautifully kept hardwood floor at the YMCA in Roseburg, Oregon. By the time I have driven there for a session, I need at least a 1/2 hour to stretch out and relax from the drive. It is becoming barely worth it.
Also understand about ice skating. Just not the same vibe. Especially if you are into some dance skating. Not to mention, the acoustics in ice rinks sucks.

Bike paths, skate parks, inline skates, killed what we long for.
Old September 22nd, 2018, 05:22 AM   #6
Slinkydog

Try Riverside Arena in Livonia, I went there a few years ago before I started Art skating and it seemed to be one of the better rinks in MI. Would love to go back and jump on that floor.
Slinkydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2018, 11:27 AM   #7
rwsz

sounds like many rinks I skated at and the typical skate guards,,,,,just have to clean wheels every time u skate. I just use a damp cloth for that
Old September 22nd, 2018, 03:15 PM   #8
jotson

Do any of the rinks have an adult night? That helps with the wrong way kid problems. No rink guard when I go on adult nights, but the dj does keep things in order when newbies stop on the floor for selfies.
jotson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2018, 04:35 PM   #9
FUBAR
Rookie

70ís, 80ís, & 90ís night said adult on the sign. The adults were as big of a problem as the kids. I donít think adults only would of been any better.

Riverside was not an enjoyable experience. I had a local recommend the place whom I met while skating on the bike trail. I could try the local state and county parks. They have plenty of paved trails.

I went skating outside last night. There were a lot of sticks on the trails and it was very windy. The wind would blow the leaves down the trail in front of me. I liked the crunch of the leaves beneath my wheels. I had a great time. It was a lonely time but great anyway.
Old September 22nd, 2018, 09:40 PM   #10
Sunnyape
-- rufff --

Default Don't wish too hard for what you want

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUBAR View Post
I am having a hard time supporting my local rinks
At least you have rinks. I have a rink, singular, and it's a one hour drive, outside peak hours. The next is a two hour drive. After that, I may as well get on a plane.
Sunnyape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2018, 11:16 PM   #11
FUBAR
Rookie

I understand what you are saying. I am not sure Iíd call it lucky to have five rinks within an hour of me. Is it lucky when you canít/donít enjoy them? I canít even imagine going on a busy night. I skated but I didnít enjoy myself. That sounds like a curse. How can I skate and not enjoy it? That doesnít make any sense to me. To keep trying the same thing and expecting different results is unrealistic. Iíd rather skate my basement. It is very small.
Old September 23rd, 2018, 01:26 AM   #12
Sunnyape
-- rufff --

ďI cried because I had no shoes, until I met a man who had no feetĒ

― Helen Keller
Sunnyape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2018, 08:32 PM   #13
netplaceus
David

It's not uncommon for sure. There is so little competition that they can easily get away with it if they want to. Some owners love the sport and the skating community, others it's only about the money (and there is not much of that).

Also many of the people who buy or inherit the business know NOTHING about business. If they had any real competition they woulds simply go out of business. My local rink looks like it has not been clean since 1970.
Old September 24th, 2018, 12:45 PM   #14
FUBAR
Rookie

Oh no! My dreams of owning a rink are fading. Iíd most likely run it into the ground and turn the thing I love into the thing I hate. Now that would be a curse.

I suppose Iíll have to be happy with the possibility of having a rink worth going to at some point in time. Iíll have to check them out every few years.

I skated to the grocery store the other day. The floor was the smoothest Iíve been on. I hope they never ask me to take my skates off. Iím always cautious and never skate faster than the walkers.

The bakery doesnít mind me wearing skates.

The school parking lots and tennis courts are in good shape. The football field has a rubberized track going around it. I tried to roll on it but it was way too squishy. I will try changing wheels to something harder than my outdoor wheels but I donít think it will work well.

I will skate!
Old September 25th, 2018, 08:20 PM   #15
AZSHOT

Quote:
I understand what you are saying. I am not sure Iíd call it lucky to have five rinks within an hour of me. Is it lucky when you canít/donít enjoy them? I canít even imagine going on a busy night. I skated but I didnít enjoy myself. That sounds like a curse. How can I skate and not enjoy it? That doesnít make any sense to me. To keep trying the same thing and expecting different results is unrealistic. Iíd rather skate my basement. It is very small.
5 rinks around you and you say they all are terrible? Yet, others go, enough to keep them in business. Sounds like you are the common factor, and very negative. Why did you join this forum last month, just to complain about the local rinks? Why not do something constructive, and write a nice email to the rinks explaining what you found wrong, that could be improved? If it's done politely, they may improve their situation.
AZSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2018, 06:08 AM   #16
FUBAR
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZSHOT View Post
5 rinks around you and you say they all are terrible? Yet, others go, enough to keep them in business. Sounds like you are the common factor, and very negative. Why did you join this forum last month, just to complain about the local rinks? Why not do something constructive, and write a nice email to the rinks explaining what you found wrong, that could be improved? If it's done politely, they may improve their situation.
Thatís a good observation. I am the common factor. The surrounding negativity builds up inside me and then comes out all at once I have not had a good experience at a rink until today. It was raining again. The staff at Rollerama was great. Most of the customers were polite and courteous. The floor was wavy but clean. My wheels came home white. I would go again. To say ďall my local rinks are terribleĒ is an exaggeration feed by frustration believed to be true at the time it was posted. Sending an email is a good, positive idea.
Old September 27th, 2018, 05:59 PM   #17
jotson

Has Ginger Dawn Mathews of Skate Critic done any reviews of the rinks you are talking about? It would be interesting to read her opinion of them. She seemed spot on with the local rinks here.
Old September 27th, 2018, 06:08 PM   #18
jotson

Quote:
70ís, 80ís, & 90ís night said adult on the sign. The adults were as big of a problem as the kids. I donít think adults only would of been any better.
Does this mean you didn't try an adult only night? Parents going to a public session with kids is a whole different matter than adults skating for love of the sport.

Rainbow Rink
Old September 28th, 2018, 12:32 AM   #19
sk84luv
..., therefore, I skate.

In the early 90's while visiting family in Novi,MI. I was able to skate at two different rinks in the greater Detroit area. Sorry, but not sure of the names. The first one was a newer rink with a beautiful wood floor, and one wall was covered with mirrors making it really great for checking posture.

My two sons and I were about the only skaters there. We'd been skating for about twenty minutes when the manager stopped us and told me I was not allowed to skate backwards when there were children on the floor. What?

My mother-in-law was ticked when I called and asked here to come get us. It was the most boring, shortest session.

I looked in the phone book for another rink, and I believe it may have been on Plymouth ave., not sure which city. The rink was going to be closed the only time I was in town, but they told me I could come and skate during club time.

To my memory it is an old rink in a Quonset hut style structure. Two beautifully kept wood floors. A large floor for general skating, and immediately adjacent, separated by a wall, a floor for practicing figures.

Even though I wasn't very good at the time, it is still one one my favorite experiences. I believe I was told the rink was often the host for regional competitions.
Old September 28th, 2018, 10:40 AM   #20
Derrick

Default Become a regular

You can set the stage a bit. And youíll eventually learn to skate around just about any issues.