S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Main Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Skating Forum General discussions about all types of skating, including how to skate, places to skate, skating events, skating equipment, and any topic that does not fall under one of our other skating forums.

Old August 13th, 2018, 05:21 PM   #1
Mstyer

Smile New to the Forum

Hi,

I'm new to the forum, thanks for adding me. I have been skating for 30+ years and can't imagine doing anything else. I currently skate Bonts and was wondering if the group could weigh in on the pros and cons of short boots vs tall boots.

Thanks in advance,
Mstyer
Mstyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2018, 12:23 AM   #2
Oicusk82huh

Hi and welcome to the forum. It's a great place for any kind of skating conversation.

I can only "weigh in" on an art boot. I used to inline skate and do some artistic/type ice skating. Tight ankle support was very important, especially with jumping. It protects your ankle. When I switched to quads, I wanted a similar feeling, so I went with the tall boot with a heal, it was an easy transition (with ankle support). A tall boot allows me to use my legs, hips and upper body to get precise movements. It feels closer to figure skating and slalom skating. I could care less about speed.

The only time I tried on a Bont skate it was 2 sizes too big and I felt like I was falling backwards the whole time, but that was just a bad fit, I'd still love to try one on that actually fits, and get to really experience it. Someday maybe.
Oicusk82huh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2018, 04:07 AM   #3
larryoracing

Smile I looked up the Bont Boot. It's a short/low top.

Quote:
Hi,

I'm new to the forum, thanks for adding me. I have been skating for 30+ years and can't imagine doing anything else. I currently skate Bonts and was wondering if the group could weigh in on the pros and cons of short boots vs tall boots.

Thanks in advance,
Mstyer
Short boots allow flexibility in Skating. You can basically do anything you want in them.

Tall boots take away the flexibility of skating, but give you more support to make you stand up straighter. If you are not interested in standing tall like a Ice Skater, wear the low tops, bend over and get more squatty to the ground, like Derby skaters and Rexers.
larryoracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2018, 11:20 AM   #4
rwsz

Hi welcome to the forum. short boots are used more for speed skating, some derby and session skating. taller boots are more art boots and also used for session usually not always laced up.
Old August 14th, 2018, 06:48 PM   #5
shesk8

Welcome.

You did not really elude to speed skates or quads, but for most part the comments are same.

Lower cuff boots will be more demanding of one technical skills/ability. So if one is struggling with ankle pain and/or the outer cuff cutting into the side of the ankle bone in skating, then forward flexion is probably not a factor, as these skaters will tend to be skating in more upright position, which contributes to these exact issues. Whereas, with a higher, or mid cuff, boot height, it is true that some forward flexion is lost, and while one defaults to a more upright skating position, the boots generally offer more lateral (side to side) ankle support, resulting in a better quality skating experience for someone struggling with ankle pain due to inability to keep in a technically demanding position.
shesk8 is offline   Reply With Quote