S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Derby Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Derby Forum Discussions about banked-track and flat-track roller derby events, teams, skaters, and training methods.

Old August 26th, 2014, 03:25 PM   #1
RollerMouse

Default Trying not to give up

I'm still very new to Roller Derby and training and trying to keep myself from wanting to give up entirely. I'm trying to work myself up to being athletic after years of very little to no physical activity because of health issues. I go from not doing much to wanting to do roller derby

I'm pretty small and not having luck gaining weight (which i know i need to support the energy output of derby and start to build some muscle) and I'm wondering, am I just too tiny for roller derby? Sorry just had to vent. Most women are trying g to do the opposite so I just feel like I get weird looks when I'm upset that I can't get fatter, I can't help it that my gut is uncooperative
RollerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2014, 08:24 PM   #2
DeathPanda

Hi RollerMouse,

Think about WHY you enjoy derby. If you find you have many reasons why you like it then there is no reason to give up.

As you probably know derby is a very inclusive sport and no matter what body shape/size you are nobody is going to judge you based on it but there is no doubt that it can also affect your performance in positive and negative ways.

How tall are you and how much do you weigh? What is your exact problem/what are you trying to achieve? I am also a slim person myself and I've been working on having more protein in my diet lately whilst weight training, I've noticed a huge difference and gone up in weight in just a month.
DeathPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2014, 09:27 PM   #3
Daveho

look into body building, i mean REALLY look into how they eat and how they train (im not saying do it), roller derby training isnt hard on the body the way weight training is. another thing you need to find out is your daily energy expenditure including any and all exercise and eat MORE, its hard and expensive if your going to do it in a clean way but you really do need to be eating ALOT, for me to gain at all i need to eat over 3000 calories day in day out now due to my daily energy expenditure.
Daveho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2014, 11:35 PM   #4
PappaWheelie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollerMouse View Post
I'm still very new to Roller Derby and training and trying to keep myself from wanting to give up entirely. I'm trying to work myself up to being athletic after years of very little to no physical activity because of health issues. I go from not doing much to wanting to do roller derby

I'm pretty small and not having luck gaining weight (which i know i need to support the energy output of derby and start to build some muscle) and I'm wondering, am I just too tiny for roller derby? Sorry just had to vent. Most women are trying g to do the opposite so I just feel like I get weird looks when I'm upset that I can't get fatter, I can't help it that my gut is uncooperative
The only advice I can give you is the advice I gave myself for 20 years in the military--- Giving up almost never has anything to do with physicality and all to do with mentality. The body can do pretty amazing things when the mind isnít getting in the way. Our brains are stingy with our bodies. They hold want us to conserve energy and be prepared for what comes next.

How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time. If you want to do derby-- donít try to become a beast. Worry today just about the fangs. Claws come tomorrow. Massive arms come later. Focus on what you did today. Focus on what you want to do tomorrow.

When you want to give up.. remind yourself that this is what you want. Accept that you arenít an Olympian, but a person who is working on personal bests instead of national records. Be proud that you are pushing daisies down instead of up. That you put skates on instead of slippers. If you didnít skate 27 laps.. be happy that you skated 18 more than nothing and 2 more than last month.

And most of all.. have gratitude that you have given yourself the gift of being active and working towards your health and happiness.
PappaWheelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2014, 11:16 AM   #5
Terror Australis
Happy Little Vegemite

I was a stick figure when I started 4+ years ago- bordering on unhealthily skinny (and I'm not tall either). I had serious concerns about whether I'd be able to put on much needed muscle. It did happen. It takes time. And it wasn't just physical but mental too. You have to work.
So.....no you're not too tiny for Derby.
Don't expect overnight results but put the work in, slow and steady, you'll get there.

https://www.facebook.com/DollsOfHazzard?ref=ts&fref=ts
Terror Australis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2014, 11:57 PM   #6
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Eat well. Don't skip fats. Get healthy oils such as olive oil into your diet. Peanuts are a good source of fats and protein. Depending on your family heritages, you may want to look at what was eaten by your earlier relatives.

As for building muscle and healthier weight. The simple answer is to go hard. Learn to build explosive strength. There's a few high intensity drills out there where you do some sprinting as had and as fast as you can for 45 seconds then do a set of pushups, then a set of jumping jacks. You can mix this up with stuff like situps, mountain climbers, blurpees( etc.)

The real important part is the sprint. Sprinting at top speed massively consumes energy. You can work on it in a straight 30-45 second sprint, or extend it to 1 minuote and do shuttle runs. Giving like 10-15 yards to sprint to speed then stop as fast as you can then sprinting again. After a round of drills you get a rest period based on your age. 2-3 minutes tops. Probably best to just walk/pace during this time.

If your new to skating trying to go all out during skate time isn't advised until you develop the form to skate well. Meaning fluid movements, good balance.

If you want to skate and burn it up see if you can find some hills outdoors. Hills are rough. Heh but be careful, what goes up must come down so to speak.
Old September 1st, 2014, 11:48 AM   #7
Darkjester
On a hot summer night..

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollerMouse View Post

Roller Derby isn't about size. Its about technique and practice. My former leagues former captain (of 4years) was approximately 5'1" and maybe 110 lbs soaking wet. But she knew how to use good body mechanics and positioning, and had bony shoulders/hips of death. Trust me, a bulky guy like me ( 5'10" 250lbs..) and she would put a good hip to thigh, or shoulder to bicep and I would wince and feel the muscles begin to knot up.

Don't focus on 'getting bigger' focus on getting better. Better endurance, better skill, better balance, better speed. The rest will come. Trust me, you can't play derby for 2+ years and NOT develop Glutes and Thighs that Kim K would kill herself 6x's a week in a gym to get.
Old September 3rd, 2014, 03:03 PM   #8
RollerMouse

Thank you all for all your words of encouragement and advice. Its been a tough two weeks off of skates, but I had my first practice last night and I am sore and happy

I tend to let my anxiety and impatience get the best of me. And I think that everytime I NSO at a bout I get terrified by the intensity of it all and think that I'm crazy for even thinking I could do it. But you guys have reminded me that I can't be upset that I cant do what everyone else is doing right now, I need to look at how I can get myself there in my own way.

I have IBS & GERDS which limits my diet a great deal. I made the mistake of thinking I could just start eating more all of a sudden, my gut reminded me otherwise. Now that I seem to have gotten it back under control I'm slowly increasing my proteins etc. I did some studying up on body building with IBS and it was really helpful.

Darkjester - its good to know that bony shoulders are good for something I wish I could see her in action! I'm 5'2" and I'm hoping to get up to 110, I think that would hopefully be a good weight with muscle to be more in control.

Mort - I'm armed with platanos, rice and beans and avocados (I'm Puerto Rican) and lots of nuts except peanuts as much as I love them, my gut doesn't. I'm going to try skating more at home, our pavement is terrible, more gravel than cement, and I think the challenge should be good for me to build up more strength.

PappaWheelie ~gassho~
RollerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2014, 04:09 PM   #9
Darkjester
On a hot summer night..

After she left BBSD (Fort Walton Beach FL) she went down to Tampa for Law school, she skated for a while with Tampa Derby Darlins hometeam, but I'm not sure if she's still skating or not. She kind of dropped off facebook.

But you never know, you might catch her :-)

Something my old jr high football coach said.. 2 raw eggs and a bottle of beer a day. Not sure if you're into that, but you could also check out protein shakes. With your GERD and IBS though I'd talk to a Doctor first and let them know what you're trying to do :-)