S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Derby Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Derby Forum Discussions about banked-track and flat-track roller derby events, teams, skaters, and training methods.

Old August 5th, 2014, 08:01 PM   #41
elemental
I Whistle at Derby Girls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiepur_Inlein View Post
It seems as though if people do start passing-out, that might incite a crowd... It does go back to Derby's roots which were completely about enduring the skate and getting knocked-down.
its not that awesome to watch. usars first tourney had quite a few drop outs due to fitness.
elemental is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2014, 08:40 PM   #42
Daveho

when it comes to hitting the pack at speed i regularly hit it backwards to butt punch people out of the wall, brilliant if the opposing wall is at the back and the other jammer is on your ass, you can pull 4 points with out actually making it through the wall.
there are merits to a fast pack but with the new rules its not as easy to maintain high pack speed.
Daveho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2014, 09:34 PM   #43
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveho View Post
when it comes to hitting the pack at speed i regularly hit it backwards to butt punch people out of the wall, brilliant if the opposing wall is at the back and the other jammer is on your ass, you can pull 4 points with out actually making it through the wall.
there are merits to a fast pack but with the new rules its not as easy to maintain high pack speed.
I thought they had changed it to where say team A loses their jammer to a penalty, team A skates fast, team b must keep up or get called for destruction of pack for bejng lazy so their jammer can lap team A easier.

Since standing still is a 1 lap distance vs a fast pace where its 1 lap + whatever the opposing team skates.
Old August 6th, 2014, 09:42 AM   #44
Daveho

no, currently the rear players must "accelerate to a sprint" and the front must to stop in order to reform the pack, if the no pack continues refs give out penalties. no one team can dictate pack speed as no one team can make a pack
Old August 6th, 2014, 10:22 AM   #45
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Quote:
no, currently the rear players must "accelerate to a sprint" and the front must to stop in order to reform the pack, if the no pack continues refs give out penalties. no one team can dictate pack speed as no one team can make a pack
Sounds complicated. Especially for the spectator. And what would these penalties be? Points one would hope.

Heck, to further develop my 3-1 set, you could let the ref mandate pack speed. Probably a moderate, moderately slow pace. But always moving. The lead gang of 3 must be with the ref, and the follower be no more the 10 feet behind.

And, for that matter, dump penalties. Or at least sit down times. Make an infraction, POINT for the other team.

Reduction simplification. Follow a player out of bounds that you pushed, point opposing team. Player trips player. Point awarded to the tripped players team, and score awarded to the tripped player.

No timer for the penalty box. Penalty screw ups give away points. Ref sets pace. Fail to match pace, give away points.

That is HUGELY simplified. And better.

A person could explain the game to another in a couple of minutes and GET it, instead of sitting there and wondering WTF is going on.
Old August 6th, 2014, 12:32 PM   #46
elemental
I Whistle at Derby Girls

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufusprime99 View Post
Sounds complicated. Especially for the spectator. And what would these penalties be? Points one would hope.

Heck, to further develop my 3-1 set, you could let the ref mandate pack speed. Probably a moderate, moderately slow pace. But always moving. The lead gang of 3 must be with the ref, and the follower be no more the 10 feet behind.

And, for that matter, dump penalties. Or at least sit down times. Make an infraction, POINT for the other team.

Reduction simplification. Follow a player out of bounds that you pushed, point opposing team. Player trips player. Point awarded to the tripped players team, and score awarded to the tripped player.

No timer for the penalty box. Penalty screw ups give away points. Ref sets pace. Fail to match pace, give away points.

That is HUGELY simplified. And better.

A person could explain the game to another in a couple of minutes and GET it, instead of sitting there and wondering WTF is going on.
better for you. awarding points for penalties will just make the flopping worse. They players/coaches are way ahead of the game when it comes to rules/strat. I used to spend hours trying to twist the current rules for advantages, even if they would only work for one game.
elemental is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2014, 03:57 PM   #47
crashpants
Boo!

This isn't my sport and I've only gone to a few bouts, but I suggest a forward pass. Sew a pocket-sized pouch filled with sand into the Jammer's helmet cover to create a little bit of mass and allow her to forward pass that to another player, who then becomes the new Jammer once she's put it on her helmet. It would need some rules as to when and how (across the center of the track?) but it would liven things up.
Old August 6th, 2014, 08:47 PM   #48
Daveho

rufus-its become clear you dont actually understand the sport so why it is you feel the need to make changes is beyond me, i think it would be worth reading and understanding the rules then coming back to us with informed ideas. i generally really respect you input rufus but i really dont understand where your coming from on this.. if you cant be bothered to read the rules for a game you find boring why spend time on the internet trying to change it? just watch a different sport.. one you like perhaps, roller soccer is moderately popular these days.

crashpants- the jammer CAN pas the jammer panty to the pivot, its called a star pass, however they then lose the ability to be lead jammer.

guys the rulebook is a free PDF, its not that long and lets be honest derby may well be the most popular roller sport, it might be worth a read
Old August 6th, 2014, 10:07 PM   #49
crashpants
Boo!

But that was my point, a forward pass to anybody on the team, who then becomes the new Jammer. With that sand pouch the panty becomes a sling. Imagine her spinning it in her hand above her head as she skates to position to throw it the length of the track. Bonus points for setting it on fire first.

(Note the name of the thread, it includes the word 'changes' so the existing rules are irrelevant.)
Old August 6th, 2014, 10:14 PM   #50
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

@Daveho
my problem is the "pussy derby" (coined by a ref not me lol). where if my team loses their jammer the other team just sits there. everything becomes a stand still. and its complete horse sh!t. Then you end up with wall defenses that don't work and 40 point jams. GARBAGE. If I wanted to watch people stand still I'd go sit with popcorn at the welfare office. Its hard to just sprint away and to the "stop till they catch up" and keep jammer stopping integrity. since the other team will INTENTIONALLY stop...

Thats one thing rufus is targeting is this "standing still" gameplay BS. We aren't saying it needs to be pure speed, but god good at least let me know your on skates!

Its hard assigning rules when people just want to exploit them to make any obscure advantage there is. Its funny how a pick up group of 2 hand touch football for kids has less rules and the damn gameplay works better because everyone and their brother isn't trying to F the system. Derby players/coaches are their own worst enemy. They are turning a skating sport into a game thats all about screwing the rules as much as possible. Elemental just proves it. Instead of superior skating skill, we will just supremely F the rules loopholes! awesome!

These main reasons is why I could care less about derby. I see very little skating going on unless you watch the jammer. and even then its only a short burst through the wall and its done, which is done at a standstill a lot of the time. freaking boring. If a CHILD can learn to skate at a good clip in 3 months of sessions a damn derby girl should be able to wear it out on a derby sized track no problem. Thing is lot of people are just in derby to "be somewhere" not to be what the fundamental of the sport is. A skater.

@crashpants, a pivot and jammer can change helmet panties I believe, not sure on stipulations though.
Old August 7th, 2014, 12:13 AM   #51
crashpants
Boo!

The existing rules are irrelevant in a thread that has the word 'changes' in the title.
Old August 7th, 2014, 12:59 AM   #52
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Quote:
rufus-its become clear you dont actually understand the sport so why it is you feel the need to make changes is beyond me, i think it would be worth reading and understanding the rules then coming back to us with informed ideas. i generally really respect you input rufus but i really dont understand where your coming from on this.. if you cant be bothered to read the rules for a game you find boring why spend time on the internet trying to change it? just watch a different sport.. one you like perhaps, roller soccer is moderately popular these days.

I'd like to see a roller skating sport that does not suck.

crashpants- the jammer CAN pas the jammer panty to the pivot, its called a star pass, however they then lose the ability to be lead jammer.

How often have you seen this done? What would be the point?

guys the rulebook is a free PDF, its not that long and lets be honest derby may well be the most popular roller sport, it might be worth a read
Wasted time reading it before. Not inclined to read it again. If you know it, and care to take on the task, you can answer some the questions that come up.
Old August 7th, 2014, 01:04 AM   #53
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post
@Daveho
my problem is the "pussy derby" (coined by a ref not me lol). where if my team loses their jammer the other team just sits there. everything becomes a stand still. and its complete horse sh!t. Then you end up with wall defenses that don't work and 40 point jams. GARBAGE. If I wanted to watch people stand still I'd go sit with popcorn at the welfare office. Its hard to just sprint away and to the "stop till they catch up" and keep jammer stopping integrity. since the other team will INTENTIONALLY stop...

Check. (Lol. Pussy Derby)

Thats one thing rufus is targeting is this "standing still" gameplay BS. We aren't saying it needs to be pure speed, but god good at least let me know your on skates!

Pardon me while I pat myself on the back, but I think the idea of letting the Ref set the pace is BRILLIANT and you derby defenders gave it NO mention. ***

Its hard assigning rules when people just want to exploit them to make any obscure advantage there is. Its funny how a pick up group of 2 hand touch football for kids has less rules and the damn gameplay works better because everyone and their brother isn't trying to F the system. Derby players/coaches are their own worst enemy. They are turning a skating sport into a game thats all about screwing the rules as much as possible. Elemental just proves it. Instead of superior skating skill, we will just supremely F the rules loopholes! awesome!

These main reasons is why I could care less about derby. I see very little skating going on unless you watch the jammer. and even then its only a short burst through the wall and its done, which is done at a standstill a lot of the time. freaking boring. If a CHILD can learn to skate at a good clip in 3 months of sessions a damn derby girl should be able to wear it out on a derby sized track no problem. Thing is lot of people are just in derby to "be somewhere" not to be what the fundamental of the sport is. A skater.

@crashpants, a pivot and jammer can change helmet panties I believe, not sure on stipulations though.
How many spectators are in the stands screaming "PASS THE PANTY!"?
Solid post Mort.

*** And also that eliminating the penalty box keeps 5 players PLAYING at all times. None of this short handed bullsh*t and 40 point jams. This is like the auto racing where it is not the car, all cars are as identical as possible, it is the skill of the driver. Screw the 40 point jam. Grind it out point by point, always moving, always fulls strength teams.
Old August 7th, 2014, 01:28 AM   #54
crashpants
Boo!

LOL

Pass the Panty!

Just pass it.

Passsssss the panty...

Passsssss the pannnnnty....

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzt

Woah! Did she just do a forward pass?

On fire?

Kewl!

Ditch the existing rules and start all over.

Last edited by crashpants; August 7th, 2014 at 12:30 PM.
crashpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2014, 01:33 AM   #55
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Panty!
Panty!
Panty!
Panty!
Old August 7th, 2014, 01:34 AM   #56
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashpants View Post
Ditch the existing rules and start all over.
+1
Old August 7th, 2014, 01:41 AM   #57
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Both jammers break through. The gang of 3 readies themselves to stop the jammer when she comes around, the Flo's ready their strategy to help their jammer. The pack keeps moving at the pace set by the ref. No F ing around. No speeding up or slowing down. Always moving. The thoughts in the players head are on maneuvering, executing their strategy. Not on how to "game" the rules.

THAT sounds like derby to me.
Old August 7th, 2014, 04:26 AM   #58
Kiepur_Inlein
'cause B!tch£s misbehave!

Crashpants...what frequency are we at here? I love the "sand in the panties" idea. I was thinking something like throwing them a football for good old fashioned "smear the..." (well, you know). Anyway, there would be some tricky skating going on if people were "going long" for a panty-pass. Maybe, when the defenders swat it out of bounds, the two closest opposing players could race once around the track to the outed panty. Whoever gets it first gets an automatic 10-points, then it goes back to the original jammer, or something. You'd see some cool slides (maybe some "Pete Rose-Dives"). Maybe I'm getting a bit carried away, but I think you're onto something.

Last edited by Kiepur_Inlein; August 7th, 2014 at 04:27 AM. Reason: #%?!! Siri...
Kiepur_Inlein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2014, 12:35 PM   #59
Kennedy
Go fast, turn left

How about adding jumps and alligator pits..... Oh wait, that was already done.
Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2014, 12:36 PM   #60
crashpants
Boo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiepur_Inlein View Post
Crashpants...what frequency are we at here? ...
I come from the 26th Dimension, take me to your robot overlord!

https://medium.com/starts-with-a-bang/the-man-who-invented-the-26th-dimension-4be837ee8ff5