S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Derby Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Derby Forum Discussions about banked-track and flat-track roller derby events, teams, skaters, and training methods.

Old October 16th, 2013, 05:47 PM   #21
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Exclamation Seems to be some confusion here.

While I am all for folks posting their opinions, I do think that the opinion should be based on facts.

Bont is NOT a "Johnny come lately" to the quad world.. They are also not "a inline skate cobbed over to roller skate maker". A quick look @ the Bont website should clarify that misconception.. A short quote here.
Quote:
Bont won numerous world quad speed skating titles in the 80's and early 90's. Most of the US and Australian national teams used Bont quad boots. We now have also succeeded in other speed skating sports winning gold medals at the Olympics in short track ice speed skating and cycling as well as the Yellow Jersey in the Tour de France and too many inline speed skating world championship medals to count.
Well now, looks like not only was Bont a top boot builder back in the day they remain one of the best, if not the best, if their record means anything. Note the other sports where their footwear excels all the way up to the most elite levels of world competition.. Bont was building boots for ice speed sk8ing long before there were inline speed sk8s..

I believe some of our Aussie members have some of the early Bont quad boots...

Another misconception is about the fit of Bont boots. I currently own 11 pair of Bonts myself, none of which require "easy-fit's" to make them perform properly. No boot is a perfect fit for everyone. I have seen quite a few folks fighting fit issues with "leather boots" as well.

Another misconception is that the Bont wheels with the16mm micro bearing is some sort of weird idea from outer space.

Not even close. These pix are from 2002 - 2003. All from Tom Peterson and Neil Piper. Surely one cannot say those guys don't know anything about quad wheels. Wow!! ROCK wheels were made with Atom-thane. Interesting name don't ya think??

Hope that clears things up.
Old October 18th, 2013, 12:03 AM   #22
ursle
Street Skater

Excuse my ignorance upon all things bont, now let's discuss when they went fiberglass, if from day one, to bad.

Ah, so bont took their cycling shoe and used it for quad racing back in the day, question is, was it a leather cycling shoe or fiberglass?
(who knew?)

Betting it was leather, just guessing they went to fiberglass for the inline boot, wondering if they ever used leather for ice skating boots.

It appears they possibly left the quad market, then returned?

Were they leather when they left(quad) and fiberglass when returning?

Nevertheless, I don't prefer carbon fiber or fiberglass for a boot, nor do I prefer a sneaker. The fact that most use easy-fit's for comfort, just like the hard shell hockey boots (different liner) must be on the table.

The only wheels I see for sale(with 16mm od bearings) are kids wheels or yes you can still buy the Rock Wheels(btw, aren't the ones by peterson and piper inline wheels?), looks like a non-metallic hub, 29.95$ with bearings, for 8

I have no use for metal "bearings", they rust every time they get wet.

IMHO, 16mm od metal bearings have just as much integrity as 22mm od bearings (if the bearings and races are quality) "but metal balls just don't work for me". (at 22,000 rpm for 2000 hours there might be an appreciable difference)

I'm uncomfortable with an inline boot maker shoving hardboots into the quad world, and possibly changing the everyday skate wheel to a 16mm od bearing wheel, unless ceramic bearings become available. (right, love the plastic "extenders" for the 22mm od wheels)
I also cross country ski on skis with 22 lamination's of hickory, wax the tip and tail to a different temperature then underfoot and incidentally dis-like the fiberglass skis with "skins" for hills.

BTW, I'm interested in learning if bont is mounting the quad plate like an inline plate (centered)

Or (offset) like a quad boot

as they are integrating the plate into the boot.

As the question was where are the competitive companies, my answer, the ones making leather boots, and it seems more appear every day.
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2013, 11:53 PM   #23
ursle
Street Skater

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursle View Post
Excuse my ignorance upon all things bont, now let's discuss when they went fiberglass, if from day one, to bad.

Ah, so bont took their cycling shoe and used it for quad racing back in the day, question is, was it a leather cycling shoe or fiberglass?
(who knew?)

Betting it was leather, just guessing they went to fiberglass for the inline boot, wondering if they ever used leather for ice skating boots.

Nevertheless, I don't prefer carbon fiber or fiberglass for a boot, nor do I prefer a sneaker. The fact that most use easy-fit's for comfort, just like the hard shell hockey boots (different liner) must be on the table.

The only wheels I see for sale(with 16mm od bearings) are kids wheels or yes you can still buy the Rock Wheels(btw, aren't the ones by peterson and piper inline wheels?), looks like a non-metallic hub, 29.95$ with bearings, for 8

IMHO, 16mm od metal bearings have just as much integrity as 22mm od bearings (if the bearings and races are quality) "but metal balls just don't work for me". (at 22,000 rpm for 2000 hours there might be an appreciable difference)

I'm uncomfortable with an inline boot maker shoving hardboots into the quad world, and possibly changing the everyday skate wheel to a 16mm od bearing wheel, unless ceramic bearings become available. (right, love the plastic "extenders" for the 22mm od wheels)
I also cross country ski on skis with 22 lamination's of hickory, wax the tip and tail to a different temperature then underfoot and incidentally dis-like the fiberglass skis with "skins" for hills.

BTW, I'm interested in learning if bont is mounting the quad plate like an inline plate (centered)

As the question was where are the competitive companies, my answer, the ones making leather boots, and it seems more appear every day.

Anyone?
Just after the facts
Glad to see bont made bicycle shoes back in the day, as i made my living in the business (back in the day) and knew of every available road shoe, and had never heard of bont, I wish to discuss them
Old October 31st, 2013, 03:32 AM   #24
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default You Do Need Molding to your foot

Hi 1337, Hex 539 if I remember,

<I have the "monkey foot clench" issue with these boots and my toes tingle (even though I keep trying different lacing configurations.) And my feet tend to slip and slide inside the boot. Plus, my heel is now starting to slip. I have a wide foot (8 1/2 wide women's) with squared off toes.>

That is a tough foot to fit. You are not a normal foot girl. No answer for how you find a boot (last) to fit your foot yet you will need some heat molding for sure to give you the best possible fit. The monkey toe does lessen with experience.

No Opinion on Bont vs R vs V as best

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave
Edit-01: There is apparently an option to have your foot measured for a special boot. R has that option and I think B might have it. This costs a lot more money and will take time.

Last edited by MANY_SkatingDave; October 31st, 2013 at 03:37 AM. Reason: There is a Foot Long Term Option
MANY_SkatingDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2013, 11:56 AM   #25
ursle
Street Skater

Quote:

(who knew?)

Quote:
Anyone?
Just after the facts
Glad to see bont made bicycle shoes back in the day, as i made my living in the business (back in the day) and knew of every available road shoe, and had never heard of bont, I wish to discuss them

Jimmy, I have run across many pair of vintage long track sk8s that had what appeared to have heelless quad speed boots on them. Bont started in the boot biz using fiberglass to reinforce conventional ice boots in the mid to late 70s.

Ah, by gleaming another thread I may actually be able to carry on a conversation here, so now there's an opinion that Bont STARTED in the business with fiberglass, was this for bicycle and skate or just skate?

Honestly, it's like herding geese