S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Artistic Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Artistic Skating Forum Discussions about any topic related to artistic roller skating including quad artistic skating, inline figure skating, pairs, dance, synchronized skating, and show skating.

Old August 31st, 2006, 02:29 PM   #1
srknurse

Default Best Plates for Skating Figures?

Hi, everyone!

SRKnurse here...just saying hello....what happened to the old boards?

Glad to see Jayson and Bill are back. HI!

Can anyone tell me what plates are most popular for figures? I use Atlas, but saw some that I had never recognized at Nationals.

Hoping everyone is well!

Sonya

Last edited by Kathie Fry; September 7th, 2006 at 12:26 AM. Reason: Expanded title to do better in search
srknurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2006, 06:51 AM   #2
Bill

Hi Sonya,
Thanks for the shout!

How was Nationals? How did you do? Next year I hope to make it to Nationals.

I skate on Atlas circle masters and like them, but they are all I know. At my level I don't think different plate would make a difference in how I skate. Roll Line plates are popular now and they could be what you saw at Nationals.
I'll see you next year,
Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2006, 12:28 PM   #3
srknurse

Default hi..

Bill,

I didn't skate nationals, because the only rink close to me does not have figure circles....darn...working on them to lay them down!!!

Sonya
srknurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2006, 02:29 PM   #4
Spins

Srknurse,

Isn't this called a figure eight? Are they really circles?

Gary

Spins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2006, 12:19 AM   #5
wrldclsfgs

Default plates

Hi there!

I am just moving to world class figures this year , and I recently switched from the atlas circlemaster (ancient) to the roll line giotto. There is a difference, but not huge. I have heard that the newer atlas plates were not as good as the circle master, but I cannot attest to that. So a difference from one of those plates may be more great. Anyway, the giotto plate seems to have a quicker reaction time on turns and the edges seem easier to get on to. I have seen a lot of the forward figure skaters switch in my rink, and they seem to like the giotto. Really, whatever you like is best, and if it is an ancient plate, so be it.

Hope that helps!!
wrldclsfgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2006, 03:25 AM   #6
Spins

Default Plate For Figures

I always thought the plate that worked the best for anything is the one you're used to. Loosening the trucks up for flexibility in turns always gives me quickness in response.

Anybody else?

Gary

Old September 7th, 2006, 04:08 PM   #7
spinjumpsk8

Cool

I agree with wrldclsfgs. I've used the Atlas Circlemaster and it is what it is. A circle master. But not much use for anything else. I know a lot of people are going to the Roll-Line but since I don't do figures anymore I probably won't be one of them. As for loosing your action, that may be fine for dance but not for figures. Too loose action makes it hard to hold the edge, especially backwards. My action on my dance skates is dance loose and when I play around with the figures, I can barely hold a steady edge. And the action is so loose on my freestyle skates that I can't even attempt a figure in them.
Old September 7th, 2006, 06:01 PM   #8
rwsz

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrldclsfgs View Post
Hi there!

I am just moving to world class figures this year , and I recently switched from the atlas circlemaster (ancient) to the roll line giotto. There is a difference, but not huge. I have heard that the newer atlas plates were not as good as the circle master, but I cannot attest to that. So a difference from one of those plates may be more great. Anyway, the giotto plate seems to have a quicker reaction time on turns and the edges seem easier to get on to. I have seen a lot of the forward figure skaters switch in my rink, and they seem to like the giotto. Really, whatever you like is best, and if it is an ancient plate, so be it.

Hope that helps!!
good luck on your move up to world class figures this coming year. did you make the team this past year at nationals in lincoln? we need the younger skaters to stick around for world class as the numbers have been going down in that division.

Rick
rwsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2006, 06:04 PM   #9
rwsz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spins View Post
I always thought the plate that worked the best for anything is the one you're used to. Loosening the trucks up for flexibility in turns always gives me quickness in response.

Anybody else?

Gary

Gary your right the plate that works best for you is the one to use, not to use it just because everybody else is. new isnt always better. on the other hand the rolline line of plates is becoming very popular. they are more expensive but of high quality and the edges on them is quicker then the other plates out there. so use whats best for you and always consult with your coach first.

Rick
Old September 8th, 2006, 01:22 AM   #10
wrldclsfgs

Hi Rick,

Thanks.... yeah, I skated the Junior division this year and placed in that, but I'm over 18 so I didn't make the jr. team. I'm working on the back paragraph loop--hahaha-- but it's coming along. It's definitely fun, and every day seems to get better.

I agree about the youngsters. I started skating years ago, and the numbers were always higher than they are now. At nationals I noticed the primary division was a little bigger which is good. There were 20 some odd girls I think this year. It might survive!!!!
Old September 8th, 2006, 11:34 AM   #11
Spins

Default Population Dip Means Less Skaters

wrldclsfgs,

The country is beginning to take a huge population dip of America's traditional skaters that will only intensify in the next 20 years. That might be part of what is being seen at work.

Would we really expect to see a population boom among immigrants wanting to do ballet--or organised skating? Don't think so.

Gary

Old September 8th, 2006, 05:00 PM   #12
rwsz

Quote:
Hi Rick,

Thanks.... yeah, I skated the Junior division this year and placed in that, but I'm over 18 so I didn't make the jr. team. I'm working on the back paragraph loop--hahaha-- but it's coming along. It's definitely fun, and every day seems to get better.

I agree about the youngsters. I started skating years ago, and the numbers were always higher than they are now. At nationals I noticed the primary division was a little bigger which is good. There were 20 some odd girls I think this year. It might survive!!!!
glad to hear you placed in junior,,,i take it from your quote that you placed in junior ladies figures???? one of the ladies from our rink placed also, i think 3rds, her first name is Jen i wont use the last name. do you skate singles along with figures or figures and loops???/ my son skates world class mens singles but had to withdraw at nationals with an ankle injury he sustained just before we flew out,,,,next year is another year lol,,,good luck this year in world class,,,tough division in figures for sure.

Rick
Old September 8th, 2006, 07:54 PM   #13
wrldclsfgs

Hi Rick,

Yeah it was Junior ladies figs.... I know jen! She is wonderful--I love her dance! I saw her freestyle too--she is so talented. World class figures is definitely challenging, and I heard that jen is going to do the world class freestyle too...? Good luck to your son this year. It's too bad to have an injury for nationals. You work hard all year an then to have something like that is terrible.... :-( Very frusrtating I'm sure. Anyhow, I hope things go well for everyone this year!
Old September 8th, 2006, 08:28 PM   #14
Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsz View Post
glad to hear you placed in junior,,,i take it from your quote that you placed in junior ladies figures???? one of the ladies from our rink placed also, i think 3rds, her first name is Jen i wont use the last name. do you skate singles along with figures or figures and loops???/ my son skates world class mens singles but had to withdraw at nationals with an ankle injury he sustained just before we flew out,,,,next year is another year lol,,,good luck this year in world class,,,tough division in figures for sure.

Rick
Hi Rick,
I (now) remember e-mailing you after regionals. I sorry to hear about your son's injury, it sounded like he was really looking forward to skating WC singles. Did you go to Nationals to watch? My job gets very busy that time of the year but I'll make Nationals a goal for next year and maybe I'll be able to go. I just had too much on my work plate this year.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2006, 04:12 AM   #15
rwsz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Hi Rick,
I (now) remember e-mailing you after regionals. I sorry to hear about your son's injury, it sounded like he was really looking forward to skating WC singles. Did you go to Nationals to watch? My job gets very busy that time of the year but I'll make Nationals a goal for next year and maybe I'll be able to go. I just had too much on my work plate this year.

Bill
Hi Bill , yes we did go to nationals and had a very good time other then not skating. Derick said it was one of his most fun times ever at nationals and we been doing nationals since 92. maybe drinking at happy hour at the hotel every nite helped lol. hope to see you in omaha next year at nationals. i always welcome emails for any reason on information or to help out.

Rick
Old September 9th, 2006, 04:27 AM   #16
rwsz

Quote:
Hi Rick,

Yeah it was Junior ladies figs.... I know jen! She is wonderful--I love her dance! I saw her freestyle too--she is so talented. World class figures is definitely challenging, and I heard that jen is going to do the world class freestyle too...? Good luck to your son this year. It's too bad to have an injury for nationals. You work hard all year an then to have something like that is terrible.... :-( Very frusrtating I'm sure. Anyhow, I hope things go well for everyone this year!
hi Jen had a great year at nationals this year for sure. got to skate her junior singles a second time after the music messed up. i was talking to her the other nite and she said she is going to do world class ladies singles and will be falling on her butt with the 2axle and triples. i guess i will be seeing that alot as she skates out of the same rink as my son Derick. maybe he can help her with the triples. good luck with your figures,,,do u skate any other events??? yes it was disappointing for him as he had a good regionals and got hurt 5 days before we were to fly out

Rick