S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Main Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Skating Forum General discussions about all types of skating, including how to skate, places to skate, skating events, skating equipment, and any topic that does not fall under one of our other skating forums.

Old April 7th, 2007, 03:45 PM   #201
lizzy_dizzy

Hi I am Lizzy...................I live in central florida just outside of Orlando!
lizzy_dizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2007, 07:37 PM   #202
Jezskates

Default Jeremy, from North Carolina

Hey everyone ...

I've been skating longer than I can imagine, and teaching since before most of my students were born. At one time I had my own skate specialty rep agency in the Southeast, but now I'm simply happy to keep active through my own skating and helping others to start. I've known Kathy for quite a while now, since we were both active with the defunct IISA. And as she might tell you, if you need any help feet-wise, I am often the person people turn to. Glad to be at the site!
Jezskates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2007, 11:56 AM   #203
kluss0

Hi All,

I'm Kenny. I've been inline skating for just over a week, and I am very proficient at falling I'm 32, living in northern MA, and I took up inline skating for fitness and to just get out and get away for a while.
kluss0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2007, 02:30 PM   #204
LezSk8

Location: Longwood, Florida, 1 1/2 miles from the Seminole Wekiva Trail.

Welcome Lizzy Dizzy. Where in the Orlando area are you skating? Hope to see you on a skate trail real soon.

LezSk8!
Old April 9th, 2007, 06:40 PM   #205
the Asocial Ape
thisMachineKillsFascists

welcome lizzy, kluss0, Jezskates, and rrex! glad you're all here.
Old April 9th, 2007, 09:58 PM   #206
irishpeach

Hi everyone,

I'm Tricia, 37 years old from Haverhill, MA. I just found this forum last night and decided what the heck? I'll join! Anyways, I grew up quad skating near Savannah, Georgia and was even a floorguard from the time I was about 12 until I was about 17 or 18. No pay, but I didn't have to pay for admission or for concessions so I was happy. Unfortunately, the skating rink closed down because of some problems and was converted to a church (a holy roller church..LOL! Just kidding!). Life got busy and before I realized it, it was 20 years later. I finally decided to stop being a couch potato and to start skating again. It wasn't until I laced my boots up (had to buy new skates..the old ones were toast) that I realized how much I missed skating. So here I am! I'm lucky too, because I live very close to a fantastic rink with a beautiful wood floor, great music, and lots of friendly people. I live for Thursday night adult night!
irishpeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2007, 02:13 AM   #207
rwsz

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishpeach View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm Tricia, 37 years old from Haverhill, MA. I just found this forum last night and decided what the heck? I'll join! Anyways, I grew up quad skating near Savannah, Georgia and was even a floorguard from the time I was about 12 until I was about 17 or 18. No pay, but I didn't have to pay for admission or for concessions so I was happy. Unfortunately, the skating rink closed down because of some problems and was converted to a church (a holy roller church..LOL! Just kidding!). Life got busy and before I realized it, it was 20 years later. I finally decided to stop being a couch potato and to start skating again. It wasn't until I laced my boots up (had to buy new skates..the old ones were toast) that I realized how much I missed skating. So here I am! I'm lucky too, because I live very close to a fantastic rink with a beautiful wood floor, great music, and lots of friendly people. I live for Thursday night adult night!
Tricia thats great and good luck to you, i know one of the skaters in the club up there,,,,Amy, i call her mustang Amy. enjoy the rink its good
Old April 10th, 2007, 06:47 PM   #208
Snyder Skates

Default Greetings

Hello All. With this being my first post I think I may need to clear some items up. I used to be a part of the www.SnyderSkates.com forum, however, that website no longer seems to exist. I am in no way affiliated with Snyder Skates, just a Snyder Skate enthusiast. I have been trying to collect as much information on the original Snyder Skate company when it was based in Dayton Ohio. I will eventually start a thread that I would like to dedicate to that premise.
For now I will say "Hi" and that I look forward to many future conversations that can be held on this forum.
Snyder Skates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2007, 02:05 AM   #209
rwsz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyder Skates View Post
Hello All. With this being my first post I think I may need to clear some items up. I used to be a part of the www.SnyderSkates.com forum, however, that website no longer seems to exist. I am in no way affiliated with Snyder Skates, just a Snyder Skate enthusiast. I have been trying to collect as much information on the original Snyder Skate company when it was based in Dayton Ohio. I will eventually start a thread that I would like to dedicate to that premise.
For now I will say "Hi" and that I look forward to many future conversations that can be held on this forum.
for your info the Rolline rep is the grandson of the snyder originator.
Old April 11th, 2007, 12:41 PM   #210
Snyder Skates

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsz View Post
for your info the Rolline rep is the grandson of the snyder originator.
Hey Rick. I am actually very familiar with Mr. Ripp. We have been in touch for awhile now discussing many different topics about Snyder Skates of the past. Topics such as trade shows, video footage, proto-type skates, and many others. I am hoping that this weekend I can create a Snyder thread to see if anyone here has any information that they can share. This forum is filled with all types of skaters which is great.
Snyder Skates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2007, 03:32 PM   #211
rwsz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyder Skates View Post
Hey Rick. I am actually very familiar with Mr. Ripp. We have been in touch for awhile now discussing many different topics about Snyder Skates of the past. Topics such as trade shows, video footage, proto-type skates, and many others. I am hoping that this weekend I can create a Snyder thread to see if anyone here has any information that they can share. This forum is filled with all types of skaters which is great.
thats good that you know David, i have met him at meets and nationals as he promoted the rolline plates, wheels, edea boots, etc. The italian women who introduced the edea boots to him and the usa is great, friendly and cute to top it off lol. David has a lot of knowledge and info when it comes to skating plates for sure. at one point he told me he had a similar concept to the rolline plate when he was with snyder but when it was sold to another the idea stopped there. great plate, i had a skater recently tell me i just went with the rolline energy plate and now i know way your son loved it so much. i never did more then skate around it, past the age of jumping and spinning lol, but all the skaters i know on them swear by them. most of those skaters are the top elite skaters in the usa.
Old April 11th, 2007, 10:10 PM   #212
LaurieFlood

Default Hi

I'm Laurie.

I live on the west slope of the Sierra in snow country between Placerville and South Lake Tahoe. I'm out every day moving my body in the woods - running, xc skiing, biking, hiking (especially peaks), etc. I Crosskate and am starting up quad skating again on my new Quadlines - hoping to get skilled enough to handle nearby trails.

This is a really great forum. People are friendly, helpful, encouraging, and kind. Thanks, Kathy, for making such a warm, safe place for us to share our fun!

LaurieFlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2007, 10:43 PM   #213
Bryan
Dances with Short Buses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezskates View Post
I've known Kathy for quite a while now, since we were both active with the defunct IISA.
AWESOME!!! You guys got me skating!

In 2000 my roommate put on a National Inline Skate Week event here in Wilmington. I did all the graphics and promotional stuff in return for getting some of the gear that K2 and Rollerblade put forth as sponsors, which I believe was arranged by IISA.

Unfortuantely the week of the event was therefore my first week on skates (apart from some childhood quads and ice), so I missed out on events that haven’t happened in my town since then. That was the last time anybody skated downtown with the law riding beside them instead of behind. (I keep threatening to hit Front St. on Thanksgiving or Christmas morning, but haven’t yet…)

So thanks for the original push, or at least helping to facilitate such pushings. Y’all did good.
Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2007, 01:33 AM   #214
DtEW

Hi there. It's my second post, so I figure it comes close enough to Kathy's challenge.

I'm an older-than-I-like-to-admit graduate student in the hard sciences. To survive the daily irritations, insults, and plain psychosis-inducing combination of neurotic (and sometimes petty) PIs and questionable research topics, I take out my aggression in the outdoors and have become something of an adrenaline junkie. Per week, I manage to squeeze in 2-3 sessions of indoor bouldering and one weekend adventure, usually skiing during the winter or mountain biking during the rest of the year.

I am also afflicted by a magpie syndrome, unable to resist the siren call of anodized light alloys and structural polymers/thermoplastics. It is due to this that I got back involved in skating.

I skated on traditional quad skates when I was a kid, but I'm sure everyone did as well. I once gave inline skating a go in the mid-90's, when I picked up what I now know as an ill-conceived pair of detachable-frame Rossignols. (The boot-to-frame flexion was ridiculous.) The inability to keep keep my foot over the frame (the frame would always flop to the other side) pretty much killed my interest. Even then I understood it was merely an equipment issue, but I did not pursue the pursuit further.

Fast-forward to today. I have a pair of Salomon Pilot 9 Ti's coming in by mail-order, sized to the millimeter (my other pursuits makes me no stranger to technical shoe fits). I hope it fits well and I can start enjoying some brisk glides along our Southern Californian beaches as summer rolls around. In contrast to my other pursuits, I expect to actually relax for this one.

(That is, until/if the adrenaline bug bites again...)
DtEW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2007, 11:17 PM   #215
Ayedin

Hello!

I'm a 25 year-old computer tech support coordinator. I played roller hockey for a couple of years during high school.

I haven't skated much since then, but now that I'm done with college I'm going to pick up another pair of inline skates and start skating for fitness.

I've registered with these forums because I've developed a habit of not doing/buying anything without researching it on the Internet first.
Ayedin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2007, 08:22 AM   #216
colibri

Hey everybody I'm James (JB for short) Another aussie skater here :P I've been skating on and off all my life (i'm 16 now) I have my sister to thank for that back in the day she used to push my pram around in her quad speed skates (Bont customs :P).

I got into roller hockey played that for a bit out grew my hockey skates and just sort of forgot about skating I spose but getting back into it now and have been abusing some cheap roces boots and frames with my old hyper hockey wheels and bearings thrown on (they're in pretty good nick for 5-6 year old wheels)

My sister and her husband are still skating (they met at a rink when she was 17 he was 20 or so) and juggling 3 kids so I figured I'm going to get back into it but this time giving speed skating ago played around on some different frames and setups and have decided on a 4x100 frame going into the store again tomorrow to play around with some boots and bring them home .

Not really looking at competing at this point in time but will be doing some speed skating classes for 6-7 months then starting to think about competing.

Thats pretty much my story i'll be at Carribean Friday-Saturday night for all the Melbourne boys here so if you see somebody stumbling around on 4 x 100's it'll be fine tuning the setup feel free to say hi and watch me face plant
colibri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2007, 09:55 AM   #217
gbo
once faster than a wocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by colibri View Post
... so if you see somebody stumbling around on 4 x 100's it'll be fine tuning the setup feel free to say hi and watch me face plant

Damn! I'm wondering if I can make it to the Land of Oz by Friday eve..... That's what I always tell people when they ask me about my face plants, "I was just fine-tuning the setup."

Welcome to the forum. I hope you tell us what kind of skates you get and how you like the transition to the big wheels. (As well as any face plant stories, don't forget.)
gbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2007, 10:49 AM   #218
colibri

Haha i've my share of face plant stories namely involving the west wall and a certain speed skate session I guess I must of been "fine tuning my setup" then to . I'm scared of the big wheels Doubt i'll be pushing them much tomorrow night just get used to doing crossovers on a bigger frame and wearing in a new boot the joys of spending money
colibri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2007, 11:26 AM   #219
sylv

Quote:
Hey everybody I'm James (JB for short) Another aussie skater here :P I've been skating on and off all my life (i'm 16 now) I have my sister to thank for that back in the day she used to push my pram around in her quad speed skates (Bont customs :P).

I got into roller hockey played that for a bit out grew my hockey skates and just sort of forgot about skating I spose but getting back into it now and have been abusing some cheap roces boots and frames with my old hyper hockey wheels and bearings thrown on (they're in pretty good nick for 5-6 year old wheels)

My sister and her husband are still skating (they met at a rink when she was 17 he was 20 or so) and juggling 3 kids so I figured I'm going to get back into it but this time giving speed skating ago played around on some different frames and setups and have decided on a 4x100 frame going into the store again tomorrow to play around with some boots and bring them home .

Not really looking at competing at this point in time but will be doing some speed skating classes for 6-7 months then starting to think about competing.

Thats pretty much my story i'll be at Carribean Friday-Saturday night for all the Melbourne boys here so if you see somebody stumbling around on 4 x 100's it'll be fine tuning the setup feel free to say hi and watch me face plant
ah so you're the newbie on our forums!
Hello fellow Melbournite
love to join you at Carribean but it's too far for me to get to... (that and my car is dead, just wasting space in the driveway gathering dust)

i have a pair of 100mm wheeled skates screaming to be used. Considering i ONLY use a heel brake, and how long it takes to stop 100mm wheels... i don't use them... until i learn how to do a few other stops (which is going to take forever because i'll admit i'm a chook) It's weird because i'm quite comfortable turning (crossovers) and handling speed skates in general (on one of our skates, 4 of us realised we had the same skate size, so we all swapped around... i ended up with my friends speed skates)

Are you in or going to join a speed skating club? I'd recommend Melbourne Speed Club if so, assuming their training times and place suits you... i have yet to get my butt down there for the 7am Tuesday training session, i'm sure once i start my new 6am start part time job i'll make it
sylv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2007, 11:52 AM   #220
merlin
Caribbean Speed Team

Quote:
My sister and her husband are still skating (they met at a rink when she was 17 he was 20 or so) and juggling 3 kids so I figured I'm going to get back into it but this time giving speed skating ago
Ok, time to fess up. I'm the husband in question :-) Hi James!