S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Skating Forum Most of the discussions in this forum will be about inline speed skating but discussions about ice speed skating and quad roller speed skating are also welcome.

Old May 7th, 2015, 01:25 AM   #1
godzilla
Red Magic wheels

Default ***NEW*** Bont Enduro Boot

Light And Comfortable

The Enduro uses Bont's Super Mold Technology which combines Bont's thermo moldable resin with thermoplastic so you can heat mold the boots in your oven to match your foot shape. The Enduro is made comfortable so you can skate for hours in comfort. The construction is a combination of carbon fiber and fiberglass. It is available in 2 and patented 3 point mounting.

$189

More Info
godzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2015, 02:55 AM   #2
ShuffleSkate98
Less than Adept skater

They look nice! The only thing I'm wondering about is the ankle area. I have skinny ankles and two of my friends do aswell. One skates cheetahs and the other skates jets. Is the wide ankle area going to be a problem for this boot like the other lower end bont boots?
ShuffleSkate98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2015, 04:32 PM   #3
theDonnybrook
Just trying to keep up

Sharp looking boot. Any idea whether the extra padding will suck up push power?
Old May 7th, 2015, 06:24 PM   #4
ajasen

Only $10 cheaper than the Jet, which (I think) is all-carbon fiber? I don't get it. Is the Jet going to be phased out? If not, why would someone choose the enduro over the Jet?
Old May 7th, 2015, 06:30 PM   #5
fuss

I think the Jets are 50% or less carbon and the Z', somewhere like 75%, not even sure if the Vaypor is 100% but might be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajasen View Post
Only $10 cheaper than the Jet, which (I think) is all-carbon fiber? I don't get it. Is the Jet going to be phased out? If not, why would someone choose the enduro over the Jet?
fuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2015, 02:39 PM   #6
Michael

Default comfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuss View Post
I think the Jets are 50% or less carbon and the Z', somewhere like 75%, not even sure if the Vaypor is 100% but might be.
The Jets are less than 30% carbon, the Z has 85% carbon
the Vaypor is 100% carbon. The Enduro is made for speed skaters
that want a low cut boot that is more comfortable padded
in comparison to the Jets. IMO there is a bigger number of skaters
that want a comfortable boot like the enduro
than a hard boot like the vaypor.
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2015, 11:42 PM   #7
matguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
The Jets are less than 30% carbon, the Z has 85% carbon
the Vaypor is 100% carbon. The Enduro is made for speed skaters
that want a low cut boot that is more comfortable padded
in comparison to the Jets. IMO there is a bigger number of skaters
that want a comfortable boot like the enduro
than a hard boot like the vaypor.
Ahh, so entry level that doesn't have to hurt. Yes, there's a market for that. A big one.
matguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2015, 09:38 AM   #8
evilzzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by theDonnybrook View Post
Sharp looking boot. Any idea whether the extra padding will suck up push power?
Well, of course it will. the question is more "how much power transfer will you lose, and is it worth it for the tradeoff of better comfort?"
And I contend that the trade-off is well worth it for most people if it means you can can spend all day in comfort in your boots. Would a full carbon boot be "faster"? Yes, but you can turn the argument on its head and say that you get faster by skating more, so whatever boot allows you to skate the most will be the best and fastest skate for you.

What is faster on spec paper is often not faster in the real world. Bradley Wiggins is going to attempt a new 1hr record, but that doesn't mean that Wiggins' bike is going to be best setup for the average club rider if can't hold such an extreme aero position and high gearing...

Like the look of the Enduro boot - looks like it should offer the suppleness of the Alpha with the range of movement afforded to lower cut models.
Old May 12th, 2015, 09:51 AM   #9
evilzzz

Would be interested in how Bont try to differentiate the Semi-Race, Cheetah, and now Enduro models.
For me they are all shooting at roughly the same space.
Old May 12th, 2015, 04:00 PM   #10
AZ Roadrunner

It's not the boots or frames that make you faster. Put any pro on a cheap pair of inlines and they will smoke all of us. I skate with a skater in entry level boots and frames and he is a horse, he can beat 99% of skaters his age, and does when he races. To each their own, it's all what you prefer. I can skate all day in my 100% carbon boots. Some people never lean how to adjust their equipment.
Old May 12th, 2015, 05:25 PM   #11
Code Monkey

Yes, I learned that "adjusting equipment" issue that AZ Roadrunner mentioned. I have only been skating about 12 years so I am just learning. I have been cranking along all these years and adjusted readjusted my frames and just about anything I could. A couple of things I wanted to report but thought you guys would just reply with, "well yeah stupid!" But since reading the "adjusting equipment", I wanted to tell of my Ah ha moment.

So I'm walking in the woods and thinking about my last skate and how I feel my lower legs working and cramping very hard. Well, my training has been very sporadic at best so I figured that was it. I am out wearing sandals and look down at my funky feet and notice that my big toes go inward. The thought comes to mind, if I am to center my frame between my big toe and the next toe, then setting my frame far over to the inside of the boot is wrong, it should be almost center with my boot.

Now this is just me and my weird feet. The point being it depends on the individual skaters anatomy. Feet anatomy.

So I get all excited and when home I reset my frame. And really get exact with it. Marking, remarking. When I finally think I got it I pack them up and grab the dog and we go skate. WOW! What a difference. So I really want to tell people this who may think, like I did, to just move their frames inward when in fact they should be how your toes are on your feet. I do that one legged skate drill where you go in and out on edges, serpentine down the road, and I am now able to do it for I think as long as I want, before maybe about 10 feet.

I wonder if I'll pronate this weekend on my 30 miler. I bet I will have to work on it because it is my skate where I go beyond fatigue.
Code Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2015, 07:06 PM   #12
Code Monkey

I have never had a bit of a problem with Bont boots. I bet these are excellent and the price is great.

You just have to try them to see how they fit on your feet. Chances are very good they will work great. Bont makes their boots very heat moldable. They also make them very durable.
Code Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2015, 11:29 PM   #13
shesk8

This boot looks great and will fit a market need. I too am wondering if Bont will be retiring a few models that this boot seems to replace, or will it opt to keep a wider range of options out there. Seems a bit overkill to have 3 similarly designed and priced boots in the same range, particularly when the new enduro now addresses comfort, colors, and 2 pt or 3 pt mount options.

Departing a bit off topic, this following comment applies to any thread re: equipment:

My only concern with a lot of the new boots coming out, which effects most every boot on the market is the design and positioning and orientation of the mount slots. In the past, when 165mm spacing was the inline standard, boot mount slots were oriented perpendicular to the frmae mount slots , providing skaters ability to adjust not only laterally, but fore-aft as well. The ability to adjust can make or break any boots set up on any frame. Since folks mix and match, and there is seemingly no industry standard as to the best placement of boot mounts, we see a lot of boots too far forward positioned or in some cases to far back, without ability to adjust. When skaters are forking over hard earned cash for skates, it's best to take the adjustable option to the top of the list over other features, like padding, or color, as a priority in consideration. Comfort can be all that and a bag of chips, but having your equipment set up properly is priority to any good skating experience.

Multiple holes provide a bit more ability to adjust fore-aft, but typically in only 3 places, and therefore limits optimal boot placement. Whereas a simple, well designed, and placed, longitudinal slot gives full spectrum of adjustment ranges. Also, a word to caution that more holes means larger mount blocks which add some weight to the boots. How many is too many, and how many is not enough? In the horizontal direction 3 across seems more than sufficient, whereas more just seems redundant, and is nothing more than added expense to the boot maker to fabricate that gets passed along to the consumer. In the lengthwise direction, 3 holes gives only 3 placement options. With 6 holes, again you are forced into the limits of 1 of 6 preset positions, where, again, a slot provides full range. And, just a pet peeve, helicoils fail - get striped out, it's difficult for skaters to easily rectify those issues when they arise, again further limiting things. So, which is the better mousetrap? The one that works. And, to compound the issues,but they are indeed compounded. The frames mount options vary as much as the boots mount blocks, so when mixing & matching spend time reviewing how things will set up before making those new gear equipment commitments.
shesk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2015, 09:40 AM   #14
evilzzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Roadrunner View Post
It's not the boots or frames that make you faster. Put any pro on a cheap pair of inlines and they will smoke all of us. I skate with a skater in entry level boots and frames and he is a horse, he can beat 99% of skaters his age, and does when he races. To each their own, it's all what you prefer. I can skate all day in my 100% carbon boots. Some people never lean how to adjust their equipment.
As Lance famously said "it's not about the bike"... but that doesn't mean that you bring a knife to a gunfight either :-)

(could be about the epo, but that's another story)..
Old May 15th, 2015, 05:33 PM   #15
kufman

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Roadrunner View Post
Speak for yourself, lol!
kufman is offline   Reply With Quote