S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Skating Forum Most of the discussions in this forum will be about inline speed skating but discussions about ice speed skating and quad roller speed skating are also welcome.

Old February 23rd, 2010, 02:16 AM   #1
kufman

Default "New" Toy

I guess it isn't new, but it is new to me. I had to give it a try since the price was nice, $50.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...&id=1197939856
kufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2010, 03:45 AM   #2
djstingyneedles
unattached racer

Nice find, almost picked one of those frames back on ebay a while ago, used to skate those pink ultimate sidewinders alot back in the mid 90's though, nice roll outdoors and decent for an uncoated floor, curious as to how that clap feels/skates.
Old February 23rd, 2010, 03:54 AM   #3
slowsk8

I don't think the clapps ever worked out for inline. The people I know that tried them got heal pain, to much weight slapping back up.
slowsk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2010, 12:48 PM   #4
kufman

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsk8 View Post
I don't think the clapps ever worked out for inline. The people I know that tried them got heal pain, to much weight slapping back up.
I am curious to see what they are like as well. This setup shouldn't cause heal pain because only the front 3 wheels are hinged. The back two stay attached to the boot.

When I first got into skating I had a set of Purple Sidewinders and I loved them for our uncoated indoor floor. I bought this set from Skates.com a bout 3 years ago and they were advertised as purple, but ended up being pink which is the hardest of the series (purple was the softest). I am not worried if the setup doesn't work, it is an interesting shelf piece anyway.
Old February 23rd, 2010, 02:18 PM   #5
djstingyneedles
unattached racer

Yeah for $50 You have a piece of skate history. Here is the Bont info page on the Slingshot frame.

http://www.bont.com/products/frames/.../slingshot.htm
Old February 23rd, 2010, 04:26 PM   #6
Veganpotter
Eat your veggies!!!

Cool...maybe if I got myself a pair of clap skates I wouldn't have to deal with my stupid pushing off the toe habit.
Veganpotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2010, 04:32 PM   #7
FirstLoser
firstloser.wordpress.com

How cool. I'd love to try them some day. THese and a pair of Rollerblade Coyote's!

Chowley

http://firstloser.wordpress.com
FirstLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2010, 06:55 PM   #8
journeyman

I've been on my new Slingshots for about a month, now.
They give me super control, and stability, after working though the learning curve.
Every time out, I like them even better.
I'm seem to be having trouble with the crossovers, though!

My eyes are starting to crave speed again.

[IMG][/IMG]
journeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2010, 10:15 PM   #9
kufman

Quote:
Originally Posted by journeyman View Post
I've been on my new Slingshots for about a month, now.
They give me super control, and stability, after working though the learning curve.
Every time out, I like them even better.
I'm seem to be having trouble with the crossovers, though!

My eyes are starting to crave speed again.

I like your idea. Probably work better than they do on inlines, lol!

I tried mine in the rink last night and they really are not something that can be used indoors. They can be a great anti-toe push training tool if you are trying to be quiet (they make a lot of noise when they retract). I think 2 springs are a bit much for my body weight so I may try 1 when the weather gets better outdoors.
Old February 25th, 2010, 12:00 AM   #10
Blades

This is funny because I actually bought a pair of these sometime back near when they came out just for kicks and giggles. Now mind you I bought them on eBay and they were also close to the 50 dollar range as well. I didn't like them because they were too heavy, but I didn't mind the actual clapping part of the skate probably because I was already used to it at the time from using the ice version.
Blades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2010, 06:19 PM   #11
kufman

Well, I tried the frames outside today and as I suspected the springs are way too strong for my weight. Basically, I couldn't make the mechanism actuate unless I put a lot of weight on my pushing foot (not something you want to do). Skating normally and trying to do a toe push really didn't work. They are still worth the $50 just for the curiosity aspect
Old March 1st, 2010, 05:19 AM   #12
docwayner

Hi Matt,

Have you tried the Cado Motus Nordic Clap 2x100 2x110 frame.
Its loads of fun, especially going up hill and with 100s and 110 it still allows for some pretty good speeds.

check out the link and the video below

http://www.cadomotus.com/shop/produc...6850C2D&pid=37

Wayne
docwayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2010, 05:41 AM   #13
Veganpotter
Eat your veggies!!!

I would LOVE to try these things. I've always had dominant calves which I've utilized in every sport I've played other than in my speed skates. I think now it only hurts me since my body wants to use them whenever possible. Doesn't work too well with speed skates so I'm trying but this could be an easy way out. Not that that is what I want...I'm enjoying the challenge as cycling technique isn't very challenging.

Also I'd love to know the speed gain/loss with these things. Obviously lots of euro guys have had success with the 4 wheel clap skates so its not completely nuts but I'd like to see some type of measurement of power done comparing the two. It would be hard to test with the same skater though since the skater would already be geared to one technique.
Old March 1st, 2010, 05:52 AM   #14
godzilla
Red Magic wheels

We still have a couple hundred sets in stock if anyone wants to buy them. PM me if interested.
godzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2010, 06:14 AM   #15
Veganpotter
Eat your veggies!!!

No 3 points though
Old March 1st, 2010, 12:54 PM   #16
kufman

Quote:
Originally Posted by godzilla View Post
We still have a couple hundred sets in stock if anyone wants to buy them. PM me if interested.
Do you have instructions on how to take them apart? I would like to remove one of the springs and try them again. I have been thinking about a way to use a bar clamp to hold things inline while I pull out the pivot axles.
Old March 1st, 2010, 12:57 PM   #17
kufman

Quote:
Originally Posted by docwayner View Post
Hi Matt,

Have you tried the Cado Motus Nordic Clap 2x100 2x110 frame.
Its loads of fun, especially going up hill and with 100s and 110 it still allows for some pretty good speeds.

check out the link and the video below

http://www.cadomotus.com/shop/produc...6850C2D&pid=37

Wayne
A friend of mine bought a set of these. If he doesn't like them I will buy them from him and give them a try. I wasn't real serious about using clap skates for any type of competition, I was just curious as to what they feel like to skate on. I do know several people on one of our local teams that use them for marathons. They are primarily an outdoor team where the team I skate on is mostly and indoor and track team.
Old March 10th, 2010, 04:24 PM   #18
kufman

A little word of warning. Don't mount the Slingshot to a boot smaller than size 7. The travel limiters on the front of the frame will not work and the springs will slip off the pressure plate. They do so with great force I might add. It actually put two small divots in the bottom of my wife's boot. Now I need to figure out how to the the darn things back on