S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Skating Forum Most of the discussions in this forum will be about inline speed skating but discussions about ice speed skating and quad roller speed skating are also welcome.

Old January 16th, 2010, 05:58 AM   #1
THOMASJCOMSTOCK
Tha Reaper

Talking #1 frame?

Hey guys first I'm new to the site so hello to all, and second i was just wondering whats the frame of choice as of now. I used to skate about 10 years ago and back then it was eaglehawks! I'm just getting back into skating and I'm trying to upgrade my equipment as i can afford it. I'm sure this is more of an opinion but i will take any advice i can get. thanks.
THOMASJCOMSTOCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2010, 04:47 PM   #2
MIKEPANTELAKIS

IMO, it is definitely the Liberty Sports ION. There is both the Avenger, and the Vanquish. You can see them both at http://libertysports-race.com

Both are very good frames. The difference is the Avenger has a little more flex than the Vanquish. It is basically a personal preference to which frame you would like better.
Old January 16th, 2010, 09:50 PM   #3
asteele.19

the ions seem to be the frame to be on. alot of people are on the pilots and the fighter pilots, but the pilots have a bad reputation for bending or breaking. the cado motus frames are also very popular, though they seem to have more boot compatibility issues that any other frames, especially with luigino boots.

over all i guess it depends on how much you are willing to spend
asteele.19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2010, 10:33 PM   #4
greazer
Forget oil... Grease!

Is it not the Luigino boots that have a compatibility issue? IMO it's not the CadoMotus frames since they fit most boots by other brands (AFAIK).
Guess it's just the way you look at it...

My Powerslide C4 2008/CadoMotus Pro 4x110 and my new "24h" setup (think I forgot to post it, edit for pic link: http://www.mijnbestand.nl/Bestand-JS...d=CK3ET7A63SRB ) Powerslide C6 2009/CadoMotus Pro HiLo 3x110+100 fit and work perfectly.

Cheers,
Andy.

Last edited by greazer; January 23rd, 2010 at 11:35 PM.
greazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2010, 12:01 AM   #5
SkateMO

I agree that Liberty Sports has the edge when it comes to the best 2-pt frame on the market. However, there are several really good frames out there right now...Simmons/Schankel makes a good frame, as well as Cado Motus. And, in my opinion, the most underrated frame maker in the market right now is Bont. Everything Bont makes is top notch in my opinion, and their 3-pt frames are outstanding. You can't go wrong with any of these companies - Liberty, Simmons/Schankel, Cado, and Bont.
SkateMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2010, 06:09 AM   #6
MIKEPANTELAKIS

Luigino frames definitely do bend/break easily. I had a pilot 3/1 and a 4-110 and had nothing but problems with it. I've also skated a Cado but truthfully, the ION is THE BEST frame I have ever skated on. At least for 4-100s, 3-1, and 4-110.
Old January 17th, 2010, 02:40 PM   #7
Roto

Default Best frame

In my opinion the best two point frames that money can buy are the Maple frames. The Maple frames are very stong, very responsive, have good road manners (they do not transmit a lot of vibration to the boot), and their weight is comparible to any other top frame out there. Years ago Maple set the standard for perfectly machined bearing shoulders.

Roto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2010, 12:14 AM   #8
FirstLoser
firstloser.wordpress.com

Sounds like I need to check out the Ion's. A couple of kids I skate with roll on them, but since these kids are fast no matter what they're on it's hard to tell what contribution the frame is making. FWIW I'm on the Pilots 4x100 and so far no problem, and so is our coach and he screams around the track like a demon in the low 9's every week. (I'm no where near that level...) But he's been on them for at least a couple of years and he's not had a problem.

Chowley

http://firstloser.wordpress.com
FirstLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2010, 10:00 PM   #9
Jim Larson

I am not going to sit and preach about which frame I personally think is best and which is better for whatever reason...........

But what I am going to say and preach about is one comment made about a Pilot Frame(regardless of brand) but the comment made on how easy they bend or break.

Now I have been on practically EVERY frame on the market.............and I have yet to actually BEND a frame due to pure skating. Now there are some them that tend to flex more than others and some that are even more rigid than others.

But where I am going to debate this comment made about bending a frame easy is just absolutely false! Unless it comes down to that skater tripping, toe picking, or even crashing into a wall and slamming their feet on the floor, or even into the wall feet first would be cause for a bent frame. This is actually common in ALL the frame out there. Yes, there are some frames on the market that are a bit more flexible than others and can be bent possibly either from what I just mentioned above. In all actuallity, I don't feel and have never seen a skater out there just bend a frame due to skating around four cones!..............even from a start for that matter!
Jim Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2010, 12:43 AM   #10
SkateMO

I have to agree with Jim on this one...I'm always shocked with the feedback on the Pilot frame. I have personally owned a Pilot frame for more than 2 years now and never had a bit of problems with it. With that being said, I too, have never seen a skater bend or break a frame simply from skating on it. In reality, all things break when you crash hard enough...I personally believe that the Pilot frame has been hugely "misrepresented" on this forum. Some of the feedback may be true, but as Jim eluded to, I question the "root causes" of some of the broken frames.
SkateMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2010, 12:56 AM   #11
oldnslow
Listen to DaMan

I'll have to agree with JL. I skate on Cado's now and love them. But I've had a set of Pilots for a couple of years and have had no problems. Kids on my team have had some that have bent, but they are literally...hell on wheels. It's all about personal preference when it comes to frames that cost $250 plus.
Old January 20th, 2010, 01:57 PM   #12
Josh22
EVO Racing

Exclamation

I have broke 3 frames in my time, and none from crashing. And they were all on starts. 2 of them were on Labada Extreme Edge frames from back in the day. 1 of them were the pilot frames. And yes you can indeed bend a frame just by skating on it. All you need is a cheap boot the flexes and twist enough to bend the frame. Like a 200lb guy on Luigino boot or a edge tec with a 150lb guy that flexes the boot more than 3/8" down to hit the wheel. It started flexing that much once the sides, right where the 2nd wheel is, broke. Not to mention from all the flexing it also broke the mounts lose. So if u have a good stiff boot, u will be ok.
Josh22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2010, 04:44 PM   #13
txsk8r

Lol remind me not to let you barrow any frames Josh.

I have only bent one frame and that was a 5X90 powerslide frame.I threw a late hard pass and it didn't agree with me=x
I was on the ion 4x110 for nearly 2 years and had no problems w it, I am now on a 4x110 pilot (had it for over a year now) and no problems.
Old January 20th, 2010, 05:55 PM   #14
kufman

My favorite frame is still Cado. I have seen to many instances of bent frames with the older pilots. Don't think I have seen any bent fighter pilots. The liberty sports frames seem pretty good, just a little flexy for my taste. Powerslide frames are descent, but I hate torx hardware(axles). They do seem to get more flexible with age though.

The only down side to Cado is the super low deck height can be troublesome for mounting some types of boots, mainly Luigino. Simmons, Pinnacle, Powerslide, Bont and others seem to be ok as would Cado own boots I assume (haven't owned any).
kufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2010, 07:20 PM   #15
MIKEPANTELAKIS

The Pilots I had were both the 1st run (the grey one). From what I have heard the newer pilots are a lot stronger but i still have yet to try one of those or the fighter pilot.
Old January 20th, 2010, 07:58 PM   #16
THOMASJCOMSTOCK
Tha Reaper

well i ask beacuse i wanna upgrade my frame i have because i think that it is very flexy. i was told by kelly springer to go with the cado frame. ill be on 110mm's and mostly indoors.
THOMASJCOMSTOCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2010, 08:38 PM   #17
73watermutt
I skate in circles

I have a 4x100 Pilot now and have had one in the past as well as the Ion and while I prefer the Ion I still like the Pilot and have had no issues with mine. By the way, do those new Vanilla inlines come with 110 frames?
73watermutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2010, 08:45 PM   #18
eighteen_psi
Falcon Heavy

The Cado/Mogema has been the go-to clyde frame forever. If you want stiff that seems to be where it's at. I love my Bont 3-points, but the current Mag version is definitely not as stiff on the front & rear as the Cado. The older/beefier mag or newer 7000 aluminum frame may be... trying to find one to try out.

But you're shopping 2 point anyway. Stiff... Probably the Cado or Schankel/Simmons? Have heard nothing but good things about the Fighter and and the Ion Vanquish but haven't skated either myself.
eighteen_psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2010, 10:02 PM   #19
Roto

Quote:
Originally Posted by eighteen_psi View Post
... Stiff... Probably the Cado or Schankel/Simmons? Have heard nothing but good things about the Fighter and and the Ion Vanquish but haven't skated either myself.
If stiff is the question, then Maple is the answer.
If strong is the question, Maple is also the answer.
Roto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2010, 11:41 PM   #20
oldnslow
Listen to DaMan

The cados have a low deck height. You may want to see if you know anybody that has a set to make sure the wheels don't rub. If they do, go with the Simmons cause Joey needs to get paid.