S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    


Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Artistic Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Artistic Skating Forum Discussions about any topic related to artistic roller skating including quad artistic skating, inline figure skating, pairs, dance, synchronized skating, and show skating.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 21st, 2018, 10:37 PM   #1
Oicusk82huh
Senior Member
 
Oicusk82huh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Highland NY
Posts: 424
Default New Skate

Hi guys. I just got a new boot yesterday and wanted to thank Ancient1 and everyone else for recommending a new skate in another post. I couldn't remember which post it was in, so I just wanted to share my experience. I have a case of SEDS, it's true. After realizing how much difference a plate could make I decided to go for it and get a new set up.

My new boot is more of a disco-style skating boot in my opinion, but it could be considered an art boot. I got the Riedell 172 with a Roll Line Mistral plate. It has an edea insole and a Noene Undersole. I got Roll Line Ice wheels 95A. So I took them out for a session last night. It was a short session, only 3 hours.

How do you explain the difference a skate can make? The Mistral is surprisingly similar to the Matrix Steel, but the Ice wheels (or maybe the boot) may be what's making the big difference. The skate is surprising light compared to my friends skates with Snyder plates. I'm not great with explaining exactly how the new skates make a difference, but they really do. They seem to respond to every single move I make. It's almost like micro-movements, it's like the boot is responding directly to my thought pattern. The Noene Undersole is like having complete shock absorption. My knees are thanking me already. I'm gonna get one more for a second layer. The skates are a dream come true. They are truly making a difference.

I came home and tried on my old 120 boot and now I get it. They were an absolutely fantastic introduction boot. But I think I just skate too much for one pair of skates. At times I'll skate a 6hour session and wow, there's just no getting the sweat out of those, especially when I skate the next day. Stinky. The new skates are a dream come true. Like getting a new Porche after driving a Mercury. Thanks again for any advice and help. Feel like a new person. You guys are a truly a fantastic resource.
Oicusk82huh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2018, 05:00 AM   #2
Ancient1
Senior Member
 
Ancient1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Tallahassee, Fl.
Posts: 1,918
Default

Congrats on the 172 boot. I think you have one hell of a good boot, and you are welcome. My first real boot back in 1972 was a Riedell 192 which was discontinued shortly after I got my first pair. I was really upset. I loved that boot but the 172 looks a lot like the 192 and I think you will be very happy with it.

I am so glad you did get that boot instead of using the 120. HUGE HUGE difference and will let you progress much faster. I like the very high top which will give the ankle support and still have flexibility. The 172 (Rhythm) and the 297 (professional) are the 2 boots I am next considering. Since I am in my mid 60's I like the thought of a Combat Looks and high top with the flexibility of a Rhythm boot so the 172 is in the running for me.

Thanks for sharing this with us. It's nice to see that recommendations aren't useless to others...



Quote:
Originally Posted by Oicusk82huh View Post
Hi guys. I just got a new boot yesterday and wanted to thank Ancient1 and everyone else for recommending a new skate in another post. I couldn't remember which post it was in, so I just wanted to share my experience. I have a case of SEDS, it's true. After realizing how much difference a plate could make I decided to go for it and get a new set up.

My new boot is more of a disco-style skating boot in my opinion, but it could be considered an art boot. I got the Riedell 172 with a Roll Line Mistral plate. It has an edea insole and a Noene Undersole. I got Roll Line Ice wheels 95A. So I took them out for a session last night. It was a short session, only 3 hours.

How do you explain the difference a skate can make? The Mistral is surprisingly similar to the Matrix Steel, but the Ice wheels (or maybe the boot) may be what's making the big difference. The skate is surprising light compared to my friends skates with Snyder plates. I'm not great with explaining exactly how the new skates make a difference, but they really do. They seem to respond to every single move I make. It's almost like micro-movements, it's like the boot is responding directly to my thought pattern. The Noene Undersole is like having complete shock absorption. My knees are thanking me already. I'm gonna get one more for a second layer. The skates are a dream come true. They are truly making a difference.

I came home and tried on my old 120 boot and now I get it. They were an absolutely fantastic introduction boot. But I think I just skate too much for one pair of skates. At times I'll skate a 6hour session and wow, there's just no getting the sweat out of those, especially when I skate the next day. Stinky. The new skates are a dream come true. Like getting a new Porche after driving a Mercury. Thanks again for any advice and help. Feel like a new person. You guys are a truly a fantastic resource.
__________________
Jim (The Ancient One)
Ancient1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2018, 05:08 AM   #3
kcire10
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Maplewood, NJ
Posts: 45
Default

Congrats on the new setup! I just got my skates back today (riedell 220 boot with sure grip super deluxe plate) and I can't believe how different they feel compared to my 120s with the powerdyne plate. The boot is way more comfortable and the plate gives me so much support and balance. I've even loosened up the trucks pretty good and with 2 hours of practice, I'm near being comfortable with them as I am with my other skates.

I haven't been on any roll line plates but the guys I know who skate em say they are the best. I figure I'll skate these for awhile and then get a setup like the edea classica boot with the roll line dance plate. I'm stuck on all American plus wheels and bones swiss bearings so I'll use those.
kcire10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2018, 05:19 AM   #4
Ancient1
Senior Member
 
Ancient1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Tallahassee, Fl.
Posts: 1,918
Default

I skated on the 220 for several years and it is a great boot. Can't go wrong with that boot either. The 220 was the boot I went to after I could no longer get a 192 and it served me up into my triple jumps. Great boot even though it is considered an intermediate boot and it can take you to the top.



Quote:
Originally Posted by kcire10 View Post
Congrats on the new setup! I just got my skates back today (riedell 220 boot with sure grip super deluxe plate) and I can't believe how different they feel compared to my 120s with the powerdyne plate. The boot is way more comfortable and the plate gives me so much support and balance. I've even loosened up the trucks pretty good and with 2 hours of practice, I'm near being comfortable with them as I am with my other skates.

I haven't been on any roll line plates but the guys I know who skate em say they are the best. I figure I'll skate these for awhile and then get a setup like the edea classica boot with the roll line dance plate. I'm stuck on all American plus wheels and bones swiss bearings so I'll use those.
__________________
Jim (The Ancient One)
Ancient1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2018, 10:05 AM   #5
rwsz
Senior Member
 
rwsz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: mass
Posts: 6,857
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancient1 View Post
I skated on the 220 for several years and it is a great boot. Can't go wrong with that boot either. The 220 was the boot I went to after I could no longer get a 192 and it served me up into my triple jumps. Great boot even though it is considered an intermediate boot and it can take you to the top.
the 220 today is different from your days,,,,unless u used it in the past 15 years or so,,,,,more like the gold star was of the old days
__________________
Ciao Rick
rwsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2018, 03:21 PM   #6
Ancient1
Senior Member
 
Ancient1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Tallahassee, Fl.
Posts: 1,918
Default

Rick,
Yes, you are correct. Not the same boot. I have heard that the 220 retro is the old style 220.


Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsz View Post
the 220 today is different from your days,,,,unless u used it in the past 15 years or so,,,,,more like the gold star was of the old days
__________________
Jim (The Ancient One)
Ancient1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2018, 10:31 AM   #7
rwsz
Senior Member
 
rwsz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: mass
Posts: 6,857
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancient1 View Post
Rick,
Yes, you are correct. Not the same boot. I have heard that the 220 retro is the old style 220.
nice didn't know they have a retro lol
__________________
Ciao Rick
rwsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.