S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old June 26th, 2018, 05:57 AM   #1
netplaceus
David

Default $400.00 Riedell 965 Falling apart, stitching was FAKE!

So I am not a happy camper, I only had these an hour, did not even mout the plate yet and discovered the sticking is falling out. It just pressed in really lightly.

Obviously this was done to cover holes or something, but I expected much better quality from a $400.00 Riedell boot. I don't care that the stitching is fake under the boot, but this solution to cover the holes is just irresponsible.

I guess my options are to glue it or just rip the fake stitching out as this is not even safe. I just sent them an email asking them how the hell they thought this would be acceptable. Am I being unfair or would you find this unacceptable too?

Old June 26th, 2018, 06:51 AM   #2
campingnut

Iím a newbee, but my first question is are they real? Did you buy them from an authorized dealer or direct from Riedell? I know that there are many products being copied illegally (knock offs). I am interested in what Riedell says...
campingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2018, 07:46 AM   #3
netplaceus
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by campingnut View Post
I’m a newbee, but my first question is are they real? Did you buy them from an authorized dealer or direct from Riedell? I know that there are many products being copied illegally (knock offs). I am interested in what Riedell says...
Authorized dealer. Yes, this stitching is fake but it does not need to be real or is not needed in this spot. My guess is Riedell did not like look of the empty holes (which may hold rivets or something) so they placed this fake stitching in them. But leaving the holes empty or using something better to hold the "cosmetics" would have been a much better choice.

There is not enough demand for these to be counterfeited (high end ones anyway), demand is so low they are still handmade by Riedell and it take 6-8 weeks for them to make you a set. Cosmetics aside, it is still one of the best boots available for this type.
Old June 26th, 2018, 07:47 AM   #4
jackbkwikn
ALTAMURA

It may of just dropped a stitch.
Old June 26th, 2018, 10:14 AM   #5
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Contact riedell. Or the shop. That shouldn't happen, and the stitching should be real. Something went wrong here.
Old June 26th, 2018, 10:59 AM   #6
DarrenVS

Thatís a dropped stitch. Just poor quality control. Someone was having a bad day at the factory.
Just get the retailer to exchange them . Iíve seen that on a few pairs
DarrenVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2018, 05:36 PM   #7
netplaceus
David

I sent them a email, will let you all know soon. However, these are not dropped stitches. The material used and construction is obvious this is a cosmetic stitch.

I am almost positive I can feel rivets in the holes. They just did not like the look of all those "empty" holes and decided to cover it with fake stitches I think. But it is not safe, secure the way they did it.

Weird! I will post their reply, it should prove very interesting. I predict they will claim the usual, "we never encountered this problem before, you are the first...".

I get that with software support when there 100's of complaints about the same thing on the internet. Drives me nuts!

I will probably just superglue all the holes so it will never fall out.
Old June 26th, 2018, 05:41 PM   #8
netplaceus
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenVS View Post
Thatís a dropped stitch. Just poor quality control. Someone was having a bad day at the factory.
Just get the retailer to exchange them . Iíve seen that on a few pairs
You may be right, I sent a picture to them, will see what they say. I think they are cosmetic though.
Old June 26th, 2018, 09:21 PM   #9
wired

Quote:
Originally Posted by netplaceus View Post
I don't care that the stitching is fake under the boot, but this solution to cover the holes is just irresponsible.
Easy now!

Looks like the bobbin ran out of thread, or a dropped pick up on a lock stitch.

It happens! Unfortunately these days QC is in the hands of end users...

I'm sure Riedell will sort it out for you. I don't think that stitching is purely cosmetic.

Old June 26th, 2018, 10:29 PM   #10
jotson

My 965s are second hand, so several years old. I can see the stitch through the sole, and inside the boot. I think Darren and Wired are correct. Still sucks when you get your shiny new prize and have to RMA them. But more
important, how do they feel on your feet? They are an awesome boot.
jotson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2018, 02:35 AM   #11
netplaceus
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by wired View Post
Easy now!

Looks like the bobbin ran out of thread, or a dropped pick up on a lock stitch.

It happens! Unfortunately these days QC is in the hands of end users...

I'm sure Riedell will sort it out for you. I don't think that stitching is purely cosmetic.

I think you are right. They are sending me a return label and said it is a one day turnaround, so I'm sure they will make good, I'm not worried. It is a good boot. Nice animation by the way!

Still it is very odd, I just pressed them for a better answer, they seemed to avoid answering my question, is it cosmetic? I really don't know. The stitching on the inside of the boot does not seem to correlate with the outside. An internet search on the subject was very interesting, apparently may boot makers use fake sole stitches, even the best ones because people expect to see it. My Riedell 297 boot has none and that is a very high end boot for Riedell, maybe their best. I don't know, maybe the stitches are hidden between sheets of the leather or something?

The real thing is pulled down extremely hard and clearly deforms the leather and looks to be really strong cord. This looks nothing like that. It does not seem to make sense to me. These skates are often used in durby and skateparks and get the hell beat out of them.

I don't know, I am probably wrong. Will see what Riedell say to my last email or if they will even answer the question. But I'm sure they will make good and fix it.
Old June 27th, 2018, 02:44 AM   #12
jackbkwikn
ALTAMURA

Most boots aren't stitched anymore.
The glue they use now is far better than what they used back in the day.
And not stitching is quicker.
Not to mention having a expensive machine.
And the skill required to do it properly.
Old June 27th, 2018, 02:50 AM   #13
netplaceus
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackbkwikn View Post
Most boots aren't stitched anymore.
The glue they use now is far better than what they used back in the day.
And not stitching is quicker.
Not to mention having a expensive machine.
And the skill required to do it properly.
This is what I think, but maybe they feel they have to put them there for show because people THINK that is quality.
Old June 27th, 2018, 07:40 AM   #14
wired

Quote:
I think you are right. They are sending me a return label and said it is a one day turnaround, so I'm sure they will make good, I'm not worried. It is a good boot. Nice animation by the way!
Yep, don't screw around. Just sent it back and let them fix it. You will be happier in the long run.

The animation is from Wikipedia.

Quote:
Still it is very odd, I just pressed them for a better answer, they seemed to avoid answering my question, is it cosmetic?
Most manufacturers won't speculate until they have the item in hand.

Quote:
But I'm sure they will make good and fix it.
I have no doubt they will and make steps to prevent that sort of error doesn't leave the factory again. It costs extra to ship defective and have to fix.

Here are some videos from the Riedell plant making skates;

How roller skates are made You can see the sole stitching process at 2:35

Twin Cities Live Features Riedell Skates Soles being stitched around 3:14.

In both videos it's a rubber soled 265 so the thread deforms the sole. A sole like in your picture does not behave the same way.

Old June 27th, 2018, 08:19 PM   #15
netplaceus
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by wired View Post
Yep, don't screw around. Just sent it back and let them fix it. You will be happier in the long run.

The animation is from Wikipedia.

Most manufacturers won't speculate until they have the item in hand.

I have no doubt they will and make steps to prevent that sort of error doesn't leave the factory again. It costs extra to ship defective and have to fix.

Here are some videos from the Riedell plant making skates;

How roller skates are made You can see the sole stitching process at 2:35

Twin Cities Live Features Riedell Skates Soles being stitched around 3:14.

In both videos it's a rubber soled 265 so the thread deforms the sole. A sole like in your picture does not behave the same way.

Great videos. They said stitching goes all the way through the sole. As was already pointed out I think the bobbin ran out of thread. Someone had a bad day. Stuff happens, it is what it is, at least they are fixing it.

I absolutely love the boot, most comfortable sakate I have ever owned.
Old June 28th, 2018, 03:26 AM   #16
jackbkwikn
ALTAMURA

I laughed when he said it takes 3 days to make skates if we push really hard....
In reality it takes a 1 guy 1 hour to knock out a pair of standard boots.ie 595s.
With all the machinery they had.
Knives.click press .lasting machine.
Bookmakers heaven.
Old June 28th, 2018, 08:47 PM   #17
netplaceus
David

Quote:
I laughed when he said it takes 3 days to make skates if we push really hard....
In reality it takes a 1 guy 1 hour to knock out a pair of standard boots.ie 595s.
Bookmakers heaven.
I know, like where do the get that? Even at minimum wage the skates would be like $400.00 dollars in labor alone. I think what they mean is no one sits down and makes one pair of skates any more than they do other mass produced items. The process to make X number of skates takes so many days. So they might cut parts one day, glue and sew another or something.

What I could never understand is why they can't keep keep more products in stock, most boots over a few hundred bucks have to be special ordered, 6-8 weeks! I think the reason is they keep changing and improving the product.

Even though the 965 has been around for a while now, mine looks quite a bit different, the padding materials are WAY better than the first 965's. If you compare them side by side (I had an opportunity to do), they made many little and some large improvements, but basic design was the same.

But you would think they would at least keep popular sizes in stock. I hate waiting.
Old June 28th, 2018, 10:21 PM   #18
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

It takes that long because they keep a buffer going, so there's usually a wait to be processed. Yes , an experienced shoe maker could knock out 1 single pair fairly quickly, but that would increase cost .

Realistically there is a person that does specific steps. And the boots are in a transitional period pretty much the entire time they go through production from area to area. As far as I know.

Last edited by Mort; June 29th, 2018 at 08:06 AM.
Mort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2018, 11:23 PM   #19
wired

Quote:
Bookmakers heaven.
Just like your comment on "Most boots aren't stitched anymore" in the context of $400 Riedells this notion is spectacularly uninformed.

Riedell is operating a factory with runs of product in different sizes. So "1 guy" doesn't get to run around from station to station making a boot. Custom (or anything not in stock) orders have to fit into the workflow which, if efficient, could easily take several shifts to accomplish all the setups and steps needed to produce a set of custom skates. Riedell cannot stay in the business they are in just making custom skates. That they make custom skates is a bonus and has to fit around their primary money making task.

Have you ever worked in a factory? If so were you paying attention? Are you just stirring the pot?

As to deeper stocking, no one wants a boot that has been sitting around for years with old tech and materials. How many size X model XXX skates are sold each week out of a yearly production run? If you knew that you could make a fortune...

Old June 29th, 2018, 01:24 AM   #20
jackbkwikn
ALTAMURA

Really uninformed you say.....