S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old June 7th, 2018, 11:25 PM   #21
netplaceus
David

Smile Update

I just skated on the new corrected alignment (of-set) as opposed to my messed up alignment that was not even midline, much more toward inside edges.

OMG so much better and I skate so much easier! The interesting thing is that I adapted to the weird setup and was right in there with all the other intermediate/advanced skaters. After 4 hours of skating with the correct alignment I felt great and could do almost everything I did before, except my crazy spinstop.

It appears to have been partly enabled by my misalignment! it was the only thing I did better than anyone else, my super power. It still works, but not anywhere near as tight as I made it before. I could stop really fast in a tight little circle and end up stopping like 8 inches looking someone eye to eye. Doing it in the a really small circle seems impossible now. Maybe with time, but I don't think so. Oh well, good trade off. My signature move, was not skill, just messed up skates!

Pain? Don't know yet, But not in the same spot anyway.
Old June 8th, 2018, 10:59 PM   #22
fierocious1

Quote:
Originally Posted by netplaceus View Post
I just skated on the new corrected alignment (of-set) as opposed to my messed up alignment that was not even midline, much more toward inside edges.

OMG so much better and I skate so much easier! The interesting thing is that I adapted to the weird setup and was right in there with all the other intermediate/advanced skaters. After 4 hours of skating with the correct alignment I felt great and could do almost everything I did before, except my crazy spinstop.

It appears to have been partly enabled by my misalignment! it was the only thing I did better than anyone else, my super power. It still works, but not anywhere near as tight as I made it before. I could stop really fast in a tight little circle and end up stopping like 8 inches looking someone eye to eye. Doing it in the a really small circle seems impossible now. Maybe with time, but I don't think so. Oh well, good trade off. My signature move, was not skill, just messed up skates!

Pain? Don't know yet, But not in the same spot anyway.
When I skated inlines, offset could put the hurt on you. The taller the setup the worse it was. Quads being as low as they are, can make offset much easier to handle. Lets us know how it goes after a few sessions.
Old June 8th, 2018, 11:25 PM   #23
netplaceus
David

When I skated inlines, offset could put the hurt on you. The taller the setup the worse it was. Quads being as low as they are, can make offset much easier to handle. Lets us know how it goes after a few sessions.

I will thanks! When these boots wear out and I replace someday, I going experiment (if not sooner if pain continues), I need to be really used to the new setup before I can compare. My problem was likely (will see) because shop set my midline at the center stitching of the boot. So it was WAY inward.
Old June 9th, 2018, 12:18 AM   #24
ursle
Street Skater

Once again....
Inline sates and ice skates are mounted in the center, there’s no offset, the skater tips them and balances.

Roller skates are offset.

Offset.....roller skates
Centered.....inline and ice skates.
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2018, 05:05 PM   #25
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by netplaceus View Post

I will thanks! When these boots wear out and I replace someday, I going experiment (if not sooner if pain continues), I need to be really used to the new setup before I can compare. My problem was likely (will see) because shop set my midline at the center stitching of the boot. So it was WAY inward.
Got a before/after shot of the mounting holes or plate alignments? Sounds like it was ridiculously inside.

There's probably lots of mounts out there that could stand an 1/8th inch correction. Many times people only look at the soles of the boots, and not how the actual boot is attached to said some. Which can cause improper centering, or offsets.

Inlines now have it easy usually. Fully adjustable frames and all that. Quads, lol not so much. While they can be set up for slotting in a boot, it isn't always a good practice as things could slide much easier, or at least it seems like that.
Old June 9th, 2018, 08:18 PM   #26
fierocious1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post
Got a before/after shot of the mounting holes or plate alignments? Sounds like it was ridiculously inside.

There's probably lots of mounts out there that could stand an 1/8th inch correction. Many times people only look at the soles of the boots, and not how the actual boot is attached to said some. Which can cause improper centering, or offsets.

Inlines now have it easy usually. Fully adjustable frames and all that. Quads, lol not so much. While they can be set up for slotting in a boot, it isn't always a good practice as things could slide much easier, or at least it seems like that.
Not saying it doesn't happen but I have never had my plates slip with the 2 bolt slotted mounting. ON the other hand not many of us skating with this type of plate on a quad either I have had them come loose on inlines but maybe I learned from that and it hasn't happened yet. Yes the slots in the boots make is so easy, If I take the boots off and move the plates to my other boots I put tape on the bottom of the boot on both sides of the existing plates so that they plate can be lined right up during re-installation.
The only issue I have had is I split one of the aluminum nuts in the boot sole once.
Old June 10th, 2018, 12:24 AM   #27
netplaceus
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierocious1 View Post
flikr.
Ha Ha! Now you see it now you don't...
Old June 10th, 2018, 02:18 AM   #28
netplaceus
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post

It was WAY off (to inside of mid), but what I find VERY interesting is that I just adapted to it. Which is why I find it really hard to believe deciding to not "offset" your skates is the end of the world that some make it out to be. Like a short forward (or fill in the blank with your mod!) you lose something and you gain something else. It's part science, part art. I think skaters could do far worse with cushions that are very soft or very hard. But many people adapt and are able to enjoy the benefits of a different configuration. Some I'm like, "OMG, how can you skate with that!" But that's how it works.

So let the proclamations of what is right, wrong, and proper come as they may. I adamantly believe that the 2 or 3 mm off-set to the outside OR not is well within artistic choice, there are pros and cons to both, that IS the nature of skating. Whether or not one prefers it, dislikes it or can't tell the difference will always be left to the individual skater. What is proper or outright wrong I guess will be decided my the skating community, manufactures, skate shops, etc. Obviously there is not a clear consensus.

All I know for sure at this point is that both configurations are widely used whether people are aware of it or not. It takes very little research to verify that last statement. I believe the two setups still falls safely in the realm of artistic choice, even if most people never know which one they received.