S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum Discussions about roller dancing, jamskating, rexing, rink session skating, dance circle skating, and similar types of recreational indoor and outdoor skate dancing .

Old March 8th, 2018, 05:02 PM   #1
Skye727

Default New to dance skating

I grew up skating in the 70's and 80's. I went to all night skates in junior high all the time. I had art skates with nice wheels. I always wanted the derby skates and always wanted to rex. It was like the popular people had the good skates and could rex. I never got there. I bought my first pair of new skates in November. I got Suregrip GT 50's to start. I got slightly better wheels and Rollerbones bearings. I have 96a suregrip wheels that I have gotten used to. I was recently accepted into the dance group, which i'm excited about. The "leader" said I should get 98a if I want to dance. I didn't like the ones they had. They were white. So I got 101a pink ones. Bad idea! I fell doing the downtown and I think I have a hairline fracture in my elbow. So I went down to 98a. Not much better. I feel like i'm new to skating. I'm used to being one of the better skaters there. So I gave up after a while and put my 96a back on. Much better! Will I get used to the 98's? They feel like ice. Is it ok to switch back and forth until I'm used to the 98's? Or will that lengthen the learning curve?
Skye727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2018, 10:47 PM   #2
jotson

I was also a rink kid in the 70s/80s. Wheel hardness depends a lot on the floor conditions. To me, I like a fair amount of grip. I used the Goldie Locks method from 88a to 98a, and settled with 94a RBTs (until I found Aussie 95a). I'm sure I could do better slides and spins with a harder wheel, but if I feel the wheels break free, I get uneasy. I have my comfort level, and it's all about having fun skating. If you like the 96a, feel free to stick with them and enjoy! (while saving up for some Aussie Scotts)
jotson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2018, 07:42 AM   #3
larryoracing

Smile I Agree use whatever wheels you feel comfortable with!

I have a trick you can use if the wheels are all the same diameter.

On my "dance" skates I use the harder 103A wheels on the outside and the /stickier wheels 101A on the inside (grip wheels).

You can use the same trick also. Putting the harder wheels on the outside and the stickier wheels on the inside.

To make turns easier people go to harder wheels, but if you haven't got there yet just use whatever wheels you feel comfortable with until your skill level increases.

Good Luck!

Larry O
larryoracing is offline   Reply With Quote