S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old March 13th, 2018, 05:31 PM   #41
BigFoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierocious1 View Post
Maybe someone will get it and produce a large wheel with large plastic hubs, thin low profile to save weight.
I could kiss you for this. I’ve wanted this for years. And if produced, make it with a hardness of 88a or higher for better speed, better wear and less sticky. Modern urethanes seem to be stickier than the old stuff. They must be adding pine sap to the formula. I haven’t tried Hebegb, but I definitely think they “get it.”

I noticed the large radius on wheels, too. My Hawgs are worn down, but as recall each radius reduced the contact patch by 6mm. This prolly does make the wheel go faster, and because they are built for longboarding, the large rounded lips would make it easier to throw it into a drift. I know that some radius is needed. When I cut down my Hawgs with a hacksaw it left a sharp lip on the outside of the wheel, no radius. It was a bit dangerous, especially when doing crossovers. The sharp edge would grab the surface and do an unwanted twist. Sometimes it would even wiggle the wheel as it tried to ride on the edge. Eventually the edge wore down from use and the problems went away. The resulting “naturally worn” radius was pretty small, maybe 3mm.
BigFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2018, 05:39 PM   #42
fierocious1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFoot View Post
I could kiss you for this. I’ve wanted this for years. And if produced, make it with a hardness of 88a or higher for better speed, better wear and less sticky. Modern urethanes seem to be stickier than the old stuff. They must be adding pine sap to the formula. I haven’t tried Hebegb, but I definitely think they “get it.”

I noticed the large radius on wheels, too. My Hawgs are worn down, but as recall each radius reduced the contact patch by 6mm. This prolly does make the wheel go faster, and because they are built for longboarding, the large rounded lips would make it easier to throw it into a drift. I know that some radius is needed. When I cut down my Hawgs with a hacksaw it left a sharp lip on the outside of the wheel, no radius. It was a bit dangerous, especially when doing crossovers. The sharp edge would grab the surface and do an unwanted twist. Sometimes it would even wiggle the wheel as it tried to ride on the edge. Eventually the edge wore down from use and the problems went away. The resulting “naturally worn” radius was pretty small, maybe 3mm.
I'll cut my krypto 85mm wheels soon. And make a little radius on them as well. The contact patch will grow but not move much, maybe 4 to 5 mom closer to the center of the axle. They are just stupid heavy. I hope to lose maybe 15 to 20% weight per wheel.
Old March 13th, 2018, 08:11 PM   #43
maltoch

all weight saved is a bonus but the wieght saved by a opened hub isn't so much...
krypto old route wieght is 158g in 70 mm , new route is 142g and krypto roadrunner is 112g....112 g ok but the wheel is less large thzn the others...
if we deleted the extra of a new route to compare to roadrunner ...i suppose the wheel will be at around 120g.

opened hub is ok but mustn 't be too big....that's the problem of velocity rzce for example....no rebound compared to others...the urethane quality is ok but only 5mm of urethane ....

no...the urethane quality hasn't lowered....i can compare krpyto roadrunner to new urethane quality and it's more a myth than something else. i have the special edition sold in france, the vintage kryptoto wheel....made for a ramp skater in the 90's and you can compare it to a typical cruise 62 or krpyto paname 65.

sims snake wheels were the baddest wheel i tried....krpyto impulse are better....i tried...some people in 90's said it was an excellent wheel....others said the hyper rollo....personnally i was disapointed....the problem is that when you test a 70mm wheels...you don't want to go down to 65mm...you loose high speed....
people in quad skate on outdoor never went faster than me...and there was some very very good skaters....some tried 70 cruise for example and after that they understand ....there is a large difference between 65 and 70 wheel in term of speed....

but personnally...i doubt you can mantain a good high speed with something bigger than 70 and in extreme case 72mm....in 76 you can do a sprint...and not sure better than a 70 wheels...but you can't do 15 or 20 miles in one time at a decent speed...everything is possible but you must be superman....

i sold to a girl a set of hawaii k ....i was scotched on floor with them...78a....too soft for me....and she was very very pleased. 69mm 78a..i must say she has before a poor pair of quad skate...rio roller brand....
maltoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2018, 01:17 AM   #44
fierocious1

I cut the out side of the krypto 85mms down. 213g to 196g. Still very heavy. The cut was at the beginning of the radius, it could have been more to lose some more weight. I will not cut these down any further. They work good as is just cruising around. The Zombie Hawgs weighed 168g and has bigger hubs than the Kryptos.
I have one more suspension/truck test to do on this pair of skates soon. Got the parts just not the time yet.
Old March 21st, 2018, 04:43 AM   #45
ASB1583

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by amohrfeld View Post
I'm skating 70mm Hyper Boomerangs I purchased in 1988. I love these wheels. Thank God I found them in my dad's attic a few years ago. I have not seen anything on the market like them.

The wheel sticks like crazy, but breaks when it has to. And it bounces and reduces impact.
Those are what I rocked as a kid. I would love to get my hands on a pair. Which I would have saved them.
Old March 31st, 2018, 10:57 PM   #46
fierocious1

Not skated outdoors yet...on my wheels. Have skated them indoors though enough to know that they are excessively heavy. Cutting the outside face/lip off only removes about 9% of the weight. Going to sharpen the cutter better than what it is and change the angle some to try to make a clean cut on this type of urethane. It doesn't cut very well with the bit as it is. Because of the excess radius on the back of the Kryptos, I will try to cut them down to about the low 70 mm range. The hub is big on this wheel and bearing spacing is really good, same as quad wheels. I will test the cutter bit on similar wheels before machining the Kryptos. As for the Hawgs, remove the face at a later date. Thats the plan at this time. Weather is getting good for outdoors now, time to pick a trail/route. Btw, even with the inline boot clearance and a 1/4" spacer, I can still get boot bite.
Old May 31st, 2018, 11:10 AM   #47
fierocious1

Finished cutting the 85mm kryptos. Now a little over 70mm, very small radiuses on the sides. Face is removed so the wheel face is cut back to the hub. Wheels are mounted and ready to skate. Just been very busy and havent tested them yet. Pics coming soon.
Old June 12th, 2018, 10:58 PM   #48
fierocious1

Default Back on post.....

Tried out the 73mm this last weekend at the rink. Very smooth and cushy. As expected I could make them slide on the rink floor but could do that before cutting them down too. With the extra 1/4" spacers under my boot I had no boot bite. Skates performed as expected. Well enough that I swapped these plates back to my normal session boots, breaking a mounting nut in the precess. Then tuned them in again. I took the nut from my other Powerslide boots and replaced the broken nut. What a pita that is!. Anyway, as soon as I ger replacements Ill put them back together and try them outdoors. The wheels are much lighter now, about 10%.