S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old January 27th, 2018, 09:17 PM   #1
fierocious1

Default large outdoor wheels

I see a lot of wheels for sale but also know that most are not offset to the outside. I want to find out from outdoors quad skaters just what is available that can be used.
Lots of wheel pics on the sales sites but can't see the back side of the wheels.
Thanks
Old January 27th, 2018, 10:04 PM   #2
Sunnyape
-- rufff --

Default RAD Glide 70mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierocious1 View Post
I see a lot of wheels for sale but also know that most are not offset to the outside. I want to find out from outdoors quad skaters just what is available that can be used.
Lots of wheel pics on the sales sites but can't see the back side of the wheels.
Thanks
In the Outdoor Quad forum, those RAD Glide 70mm wheels look awesome. There are some pics to show how offset they are and the amount of edge rounding. They're a longboard wheel.
Sunnyape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2018, 10:44 PM   #3
fierocious1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnyape View Post
In the Outdoor Quad forum, those RAD Glide 70mm wheels look awesome. There are some pics to show how offset they are and the amount of edge rounding. They're a longboard wheel.
I want to try 75mm or 78mm. I have enough clearance to prevent boot bite. I may have to cut some wheels on the back side.
Old January 28th, 2018, 01:15 AM   #4
amohrfeld

I'm skating 70mm Hyper Boomerangs I purchased in 1988. I love these wheels. Thank God I found them in my dad's attic a few years ago. I have not seen anything on the market like them.

The wheel sticks like crazy, but breaks when it has to. And it bounces and reduces impact.
amohrfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2018, 09:28 AM   #5
maltoch

for sale now.

zombie hawgs 70 or 76mm...i tested 82a. 70.
kryptonics route new design red 70mm 82a.

vintage.

krypto roadrunner 70mm 78a
hyper super mundo 72mm 78a.

76 are too big in my opinion ...i have good legs and never really see more gain at high speed....more than 100 kmh in downhill.

i tested everything since 20 years ....zombie hawgs are not really good...bad urethane, velocity race...not conviced at all...too litlle inertia...

i have now on my quads....a set of krypto roardunner...and on the other the new route.

the results are the same....the best wheels i tested....road runner are just lighter...and you feel the difference after fewer miles.

vintage hyper strada and krypto project should be a little under....and the next set i will buy..will be a set of hyper super mundo 78mm 72a....on of the wheel that could be better.

so in my opinion, actually, buy the red new route 70mm 82a...a good compromise....trust me' i have good legs...1.90meter and 100kg ..so i can push...and 70mm is the better ...

my best wheel was a 70mm 80a kryptonics retro k....only make for french market and sold by bravo corp..

so finally i suppose boomerang vintge 70mm 78a should be agood wheel....hyper duper mundo ...a little bit better because of the 70mm.....
krypto roadrunner are goof but not so easy to find....easiest than super mundo and boomerang....
but for cheap and very very good result...the new route 70mm 82a is the solution...good quality urethane...kryptonics cruise design...

conclusion...from what i suppose or i know

1 hyper super mundo 72mm 78a
2 hyper roardrunner70mm 78a=boomerang vintage 70mm 78a
3 new route 70mm 82a (just because of the wheels weight but could be in second position too).
4 velocity race 70mm 82a=krypto hawaii k 69mm 78a.
5 cruise 65mm 78a=radar flyer 65mm 78a
6 zombie hawgs
maltoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2018, 12:50 PM   #6
fierocious1

Quote:
Originally Posted by maltoch View Post
for sale now.

zombie hawgs 70 or 76mm...i tested 82a. 70.
kryptonics route new design red 70mm 82a.

vintage.

krypto roadrunner 70mm 78a
hyper super mundo 72mm 78a.

76 are too big in my opinion ...i have good legs and never really see more gain at high speed....more than 100 kmh in downhill.

i tested everything since 20 years ....zombie hawgs are not really good...bad urethane, velocity race...not conviced at all...too litlle inertia...

i have now on my quads....a set of krypto roardunner...and on the other the new route.

the results are the same....the best wheels i tested....road runner are just lighter...and you feel the difference after fewer miles.

vintage hyper strada and krypto project should be a little under....and the next set i will buy..will be a set of hyper super mundo 78mm 72a....on of the wheel that could be better.

so in my opinion, actually, buy the red new route 70mm 82a...a good compromise....trust me' i have good legs...1.90meter and 100kg ..so i can push...and 70mm is the better ...

my best wheel was a 70mm 80a kryptonics retro k....only make for french market and sold by bravo corp..

so finally i suppose boomerang vintge 70mm 78a should be agood wheel....hyper duper mundo ...a little bit better because of the 70mm.....
krypto roadrunner are goof but not so easy to find....easiest than super mundo and boomerang....
but for cheap and very very good result...the new route 70mm 82a is the solution...good quality urethane...kryptonics cruise design...

conclusion...from what i suppose or i know

1 hyper super mundo 72mm 78a
2 hyper roardrunner70mm 78a=boomerang vintage 70mm 78a
3 new route 70mm 82a (just because of the wheels weight but could be in second position too).
4 velocity race 70mm 82a=krypto hawaii k 69mm 78a.
5 cruise 65mm 78a=radar flyer 65mm 78a
6 zombie hawgs
Good review. Lots of info to look at. Thanks
Old January 29th, 2018, 03:23 AM   #7
amohrfeld

Correction, I'm on 80mm wheels (not 70mm). Skated them today.

These are not a speed wheel. But the way they feel is great. You just want to bounce around on pavement.
amohrfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2018, 04:46 AM   #8
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

If price is no object, then get scott or hebegb to get ya set up with a duro that fits your usual use.

I got some 88A 70mm wheels. Ridic fast on smoother asphalt, but abusive for rougher stuff.

Personally I'd love some royal assist type wheels with a 68to 70mm OD on that hub in about 80A. No molds for that though....
Old January 29th, 2018, 11:15 AM   #9
fierocious1

Default Been looking at these

Landyachtz Zombie Hawgs 76mm 84a Pro Longboard
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Landyachtz-...4AAOSw9DVZtWwD
The hubs are back spaced like regular quad wheels. Don't know about the bearing spacing. At least the hubs take away some of the weight.
Old January 29th, 2018, 01:30 PM   #10
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

The RAD wheels mentioned earlier are mine. They are backset, but the spacing between bearings is 10mm, which is the standard longboard wheel spacing. If you plan on using longboard wheels, you will either need longer axles or may need to loctite the nuts onto the axles.

That said, I used the RAD wheels for a race series that also had quad races. The venue had some small hills. I ran one of the races with the RAD wheels and one with a set of Atom Road Hogs (66mm x 42mm). I ran similar lap times with both types of wheels. The only advantage that the larger wheels seemed to have was downhill roll.
chuckboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2018, 02:08 PM   #11
fierocious1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckboucher View Post
The RAD wheels mentioned earlier are mine. They are backset, but the spacing between bearings is 10mm, which is the standard longboard wheel spacing. If you plan on using longboard wheels, you will either need longer axles or may need to loctite the nuts onto the axles.

That said, I used the RAD wheels for a race series that also had quad races. The venue had some small hills. I ran one of the races with the RAD wheels and one with a set of Atom Road Hogs (66mm x 42mm). I ran similar lap times with both types of wheels. The only advantage that the larger wheels seemed to have was downhill roll.
Im not racing them, just cruising around and probably some long laps of an area in town. There is a park in town that has a cement walkway and skating is allowed. If needed and depending on the space, I can chuck up with an expanding arbor and cut the centers back a little. No biggie. Cruise the local Walmart lol
Old January 29th, 2018, 07:13 PM   #12
maltoch

the zombie hawgs 76 are heavy and the outdoor urethane quality is bad...trusted in first at them...76 82a tested...but after 2 sessions ...sold them....

atom is bad quality urethane too....for outdoor...

i didn't tested the rad but i will not buy them...because they have the kryptonics old route or kryptonics classic design.....too much exterior urethane for nothing...an exterior lip that give weight and doesn't help ....they don't have a flat design like krypto roadrunner or an excellent design like new krypto route, cruise or hawaii k...

when i push a leg, i know directly if the urethane quality is good for outdoor....
when you push' your ear a scrach sound ...the wheel agzinst the floor....if there is not this sound ...you don't transfer very well the energy....

there is a set of krypto roadrunner red for sale on ebay actually .
Old January 30th, 2018, 11:11 AM   #13
fierocious1

Quote:
the zombie hawgs 76 are heavy and the outdoor urethane quality is bad...trusted in first at them...76 82a tested...but after 2 sessions ...sold them....

atom is bad quality urethane too....for outdoor...

i didn't tested the rad but i will not buy them...because they have the kryptonics old route or kryptonics classic design.....too much exterior urethane for nothing...an exterior lip that give weight and doesn't help ....they don't have a flat design like krypto roadrunner or an excellent design like new krypto route, cruise or hawaii k...

when i push a leg, i know directly if the urethane quality is good for outdoor....
when you push' your ear a scrach sound ...the wheel agzinst the floor....if there is not this sound ...you don't transfer very well the energy....

there is a set of krypto roadrunner red for sale on ebay actually .
I'll check Ebay.
Old February 2nd, 2018, 05:26 PM   #14
BigFoot

The 76mm 86a Zombie Hawgs have been my outdoor wheels for several years and I am still happy with them. They were also the outdoor wheel of choice for the late Armadillo. I would give Armadillo’s opinion more weight than mine because he tested and compared them to many other wheels. When someone recommended a wheel, he would ask, “Compared to what? What other wheels have you tried?” He said that because people often get use to the wheel they picked and have learned to like the wheel they use.

I like them because 76mm is a big wheel that rolls over pavement imperfections better than a smaller wheel. I has a light weight hub to reduced overall wheel weight. It has good “stick” for push-offs and carving. It is available in 84a and 86a, meaning harder = faster (I prefer speed and long rolls over smoothness). It is side-set. It is slightly heavy and wide out-of-the-box, but this can be corrected by cutting off the outside of the wheel down to the outside edge of the hub.
BigFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2018, 08:23 PM   #15
maltoch

82a is the limit for an outdoor asphalt and heavy guy....84 a is alrezdy too much ...

the hub is for weight of the wheel

the quality of the wheel is more an urethane quality problem....

trust me ...velocity race and zombie hawgs are not as good as krypto roardunner, and new route 70....because i bought all these wheels...zombie are sold since a ling time and nobody is intrested to buy the velocity race.

and i'm nearly sure krpyto project 2, tom peterson's, super mundo and hyper strada are good wheels too....that i could buy a day.

buy the new red route 70 83a....and you will forget the zombie....they have a large hub but the urethane is a very poor quality....velocity race aka k2 quad wheels aka rd twister urethane is better than hawgs but not as good as all the krypto produced....

moreover with a 76mm ...you can't keep a good speed....you loose high end speed....i never roll faster with these wheels....
Old February 13th, 2018, 05:45 PM   #16
fierocious1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFoot View Post
The 76mm 86a Zombie Hawgs have been my outdoor wheels for several years and I am still happy with them. They were also the outdoor wheel of choice for the late Armadillo. I would give Armadillo’s opinion more weight than mine because he tested and compared them to many other wheels. When someone recommended a wheel, he would ask, “Compared to what? What other wheels have you tried?” He said that because people often get use to the wheel they picked and have learned to like the wheel they use.

I like them because 76mm is a big wheel that rolls over pavement imperfections better than a smaller wheel. I has a light weight hub to reduced overall wheel weight. It has good “stick” for push-offs and carving. It is available in 84a and 86a, meaning harder = faster (I prefer speed and long rolls over smoothness). It is side-set. It is slightly heavy and wide out-of-the-box, but this can be corrected by cutting off the outside of the wheel down to the outside edge of the hub.
I have ordered several sets of wheels to compare for outdoor. I feel it is going to be up to me and how and what kind of skating outdoors I am going to do. So the first test will be the Zombie Hawg 84a 76mm. The guys only sent me half my set so I am waiting on the other 4 wheels to show up.

[IMG]Plenty of clearance for turns. by fierocious1, on Flickr[/IMG]
[IMG]Long frame for outdoor skating. 84a 76mm Zombie Hawgs by fierocious1, on Flickr[/IMG]
Old February 13th, 2018, 06:44 PM   #17
maltoch

what have you ordered except the zombies.?
Old February 13th, 2018, 07:22 PM   #18
fierocious1

Quote:
what have you ordered except the zombies.?
Krypto 85mm, krypto 70mm and looking at some others. Will be cutting them down to remove excess weight. Looking to skate various surfaces rough and smooth, not tracks. Mostly for cruising around town. I have skated 62mm wheels before on paths and did not like how they were stopped by debris. I want more diameter to get over stuff with. Experimenting is what I do and will be doing several sets of wheels in the future. I may find that they are too big, but testing it will be fun anyway. Probably will need an outdoor skating box to hold all the stuff for that too.... LOL

Last edited by fierocious1; February 14th, 2018 at 01:07 AM.
fierocious1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2018, 12:56 AM   #19
fierocious1

Default Route 70

Pretty but too much fat in them. No hub at all so they would be as heavy as the 76mm. The Urethane on the 76mms feels OK, a bit soft compared to what I am used to skating on. At the pavilion the 93 Shamans work fine and some old 95a wheels too. I have some old krypo wheels in a box I dug out yesterday. They are fairly soft too, just a bit small, 60mm or so. At the pavilion though I bought some pool noodles to cut to put on the vertical I beam flanges just in case something goes wrong....

Last edited by fierocious1; February 14th, 2018 at 11:03 AM.
fierocious1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2018, 03:29 PM   #20
FanJet8
Shadow Sk8r

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierocious1 View Post
Pretty but too much fat in them. No hub at all so they would be as heavy as the 76mm. The Urethane on the 76mms feels OK, a bit soft compared to what I am used to skating on. At the pavilion the 93 Shamans work fine and some old 95a wheels too. I have some old krypo wheels in a box I dug out yesterday. They are fairly soft too, just a bit small, 60mm or so. At the pavilion though I bought some pool noodles to cut to put on the vertical I beam flanges just in case something goes wrong....
I love my Route 70's for outdoor.....
FanJet8 is offline   Reply With Quote