S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old May 15th, 2018, 08:34 PM   #1
wired

Default Rinks, rinks rinks!

Roller City West - Denver, CO

Reopened as a rink after years as a thrift store. Nice smooth plastic with all the grip in the world! Non-race format speed skate sorted by age range. I'm certainly not used to +5K' air (or lack thereof...)

Xfinity Roller Sports Arena - Colorado Springs, CO

BIG WOOD FLOOR! ADULT NIGHT!

This is where nationals will be held this year. Bar upstairs and you got a drink ticket with adult night admission. I'm too busy rolling...

Church of 8 Wheels - San Franscisco, CA

Wonderful place! Wood floor, great music, TALLENTED skaters! Lots of beginners but an EXPERIENCE! If you know the skates you might be able to spot Machine! Had a blast! Great to meet a online friend!

Skate City Littleton - Denver, CO

Adult night! I got there a bit late but lots of fun!

(hint - double click on images to go to library and click around to see a bigger version)

Old May 15th, 2018, 08:55 PM   #2
jotson

Awesome! Nice to hear good rink news for a change. Great pics too, must not have been a cell phone camera.
jotson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2018, 09:04 PM   #3
wired

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotson View Post
Awesome! Nice to hear good rink news for a change. Great pics too, must not have been a cell phone camera.
Thanks! I have been road tripping.

I see mostly good rink news these days. There are the ones where the land is too valuable and close but then there are the ones like Roller City West!

My "pocket camera" is a Canon G16. Amazing for the size but now 5 year old tech...

Old May 15th, 2018, 09:42 PM   #4
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

Correction about the xfinity Center. That's where the USRSS (new speed skating NGB) Championships are being held, not the USARS Nationals. That's still being held in Lincoln, NE.
chuckboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2018, 03:25 PM   #5
wired

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckboucher View Post
Correction about the xfinity Center. That's where the USRSS (new speed skating NGB) Championships are being held, not the USARS Nationals. That's still being held in Lincoln, NE.
Thanks for the clarification!

Hopefully USRSS will succeed like WFTDA!

Old May 16th, 2018, 06:17 PM   #6
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by wired View Post
Thanks for the clarification!

Hopefully USRSS will succeed like WFTDA!

I wouldn't wish that lol.

WFTDA isn't exactly in a good place right now. Derby having probs.
Old May 17th, 2018, 12:01 AM   #7
wired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post
WFTDA isn't exactly in a good place right now. Derby having probs.
WFTDA is getting a lot of people on skates. Here attendance is up and the bouts are better than ever.

Mens Roller Derby of Kentucky vs 565 Quadronauts. Lots of fun!

Old May 18th, 2018, 04:55 AM   #8
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

The problem with getting people on skates for derby is that they usually only do derby practice, which leaves little time for them to work on just their ability of on skates skills to increase. This frequently gets newer skaters injured, and hang those skates up, so a lot of the attendance goes through rise and falls. Typically its just family and friends at bouts. Almost no people think "Hey, let's go find a derby game/bout to watch"

Then there is the problem of amount of refs vs players, which is likely to only get worse. Most refs are unpaid if local, or if travelling sometimes a gas money or card is allotted.

More often than not, door revenue doesn't earn much if any profits, which isn't helping the sport much.

I know it depends on the area too, but my description is pretty standard across the country.

Last edited by Mort; May 18th, 2018 at 06:02 AM.
Mort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2018, 03:05 PM   #9
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

Quote:
The problem with getting people on skates for derby is that they usually only do derby practice, which leaves little time for them to work on just their ability of on skates skills to increase. This frequently gets newer skaters injured, and hang those skates up, so a lot of the attendance goes through rise and falls. Typically its just family and friends at bouts. Almost no people think "Hey, let's go find a derby game/bout to watch"

Then there is the problem of amount of refs vs players, which is likely to only get worse. Most refs are unpaid if local, or if travelling sometimes a gas money or card is allotted.

More often than not, door revenue doesn't earn much if any profits, which isn't helping the sport much.

I know it depends on the area too, but my description is pretty standard across the country.
We openly welcome the derby skaters, that skate at the rink we practice at, to skate our speed practices. We've had a few take us up on it and their skating and overall stamina has improved as a result.
chuckboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2018, 06:42 PM   #10
wired

Quote:
We openly welcome the derby skaters, that skate at the rink we practice at, to skate our speed practices. We've had a few take us up on it and their skating and overall stamina has improved as a result.
Same here! Most rink and derby skaters stick to their respective venues (the local teams have a non-rink facility) but when derby folks show up to sessions it's usually a lot of fun.

Anything that gets people on skates is a good thing!

Old May 19th, 2018, 09:51 AM   #11
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Quote:
Buddy, you almost have to twist derby people's arms to get them to attend session or speed practice (we don't have speed practices here) .

I've played little scrims before and some of them are like "wow wtf, how?" To me or my buddy, and it's usually simple recovery footwork I teach to people all the time. I tell em, "come to session, I'll teach ya some things you can use, after all, if you can't dodge a kid, how can you dodge an adult that is TRYING to hit you? " lol

No one ever shows up :/ they just go to practices, learn how to play, but don't develop the agility or stability to do the plays they want to do.
Old May 21st, 2018, 09:07 PM   #12
sdcopp

Great pics, I'm going to have to check out Roller City West sometime. Xfinity is my "home" rink, the wood is nice but I do miss the ice court in there. Just glad the adult night has taken off reasonably well. Looks like fun travelling
sdcopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2018, 12:26 AM   #13
Skatervideoguy

Default Rinks

Hi wired,

Great Photo presentation. Please keep up the good work of presenting Rinks that you attend.

I was never into Photography, so never took any of the over 160 Rinks I've attended over the last 60+years. Wish I had done so, for myself - but mostly to be able to show other's how Rinks have changed (mostly Improved) over the years. I've only got a few Pics and a couple of Vids of me, but a number of Vids of our local better Skaters at the WINNWOOD Skate Center on Adult nites.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgv...4D0wcsg/videos

We've got 9 Roller Rinks in the KC area, and at least 3 have Adult Nites.

As to the Roller Derby, we've got two Leagues here in KC area.

The Fountain City Roller Derby (M.A.D.E. Rules) in Independence, Mo. at the B&D South Roller Rink, https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBv...asKrISw/videos

And the Kansas City Roller Warriors (WFTDA Rules) at the Memorial Hall in K.C.Ks. https://vimeo.com/kcrw

Both Leagues have been doing well.

Please keep on taking Photos of the Rinks you get to, and some of yourself Skating in them too !! It's a wonderful way to share your Rink Experiences with everyone on this Forum.

Harold
Old July 6th, 2018, 02:03 PM   #14
sommemi
Evn my Redbloodcells roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by wired View Post
Thanks! I have been road tripping.

I see mostly good rink news these days. There are the ones where the land is too valuable and close but then there are the ones like Roller City West!

My "pocket camera" is a Canon G16. Amazing for the size but now 5 year old tech...

Come on out and 'road trip' to Ohio for me! I could totally use someone to document the rinks in Ohio! I've been working on a database of them. I know that someone else keeps a list, but they don't share it and they don't have all the info that everyone wants to know. (type of floor, last coating, what sports they feature, etc) So I've been working on that. But man, it takes time and it's hard to contact rink owners. It's almost like a hidden secret to try to get in touch with people if you don't show up in person.

I'm def wanting to come out that direction and check out the rinks you took pics of! Pics like that definitely sell a rink. THANK YOU for posting this! It's greatly appreciated by people like me who wanna 'skate the world'.
Old July 6th, 2018, 02:12 PM   #15
sommemi
Evn my Redbloodcells roll

FYI - I just added these ones to my 'skate the world' map. I didn't have time to add photos or anything to it though, so if you (or anyone else) gets a chance to, feel free to add to it! I'm pretty sure the settings are such that anyone can add to it as long as they have a google login.

Again, thanks for this post!
Misty
Old July 13th, 2018, 10:30 PM   #16
wired

Quote:
Originally Posted by sommemi View Post
Come on out and 'road trip' to Ohio for me!
I do make it up to Beechmont Rollarena every now and then for adult nights. I'd love to do a swing further north.

Old July 15th, 2018, 01:08 PM   #17
DarrenVS

Quote:
Buddy, you almost have to twist derby people's arms to get them to attend session or speed practice (we don't have speed practices here) .

I've played little scrims before and some of them are like "wow wtf, how?" To me or my buddy, and it's usually simple recovery footwork I teach to people all the time. I tell em, "come to session, I'll teach ya some things you can use, after all, if you can't dodge a kid, how can you dodge an adult that is TRYING to hit you? " lol

No one ever shows up :/ they just go to practices, learn how to play, but don't develop the agility or stability to do the plays they want to do.
I was a derby ref for almost 2 years. Having been asked to sign up after meeting the local team at a special event locally. Having joined them, I found I was actually skating lesss and less. My time was taken up with learning the most complicated set of rules of any sport I’ve encountered. Having spent 30 odd years learning not to fall over, it was hard work falling even with the right protective kit.
And trying to get derby skaters to come to a normal skate session and have some fun was like having root canal surgery. I can still tell a derby skater at an open session even if they aren’t wearing their kit. It just astounds me how little Skating they actually do.
DarrenVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2018, 01:18 PM   #18
DarrenVS

Quote:

The trouble with becoming a derby ref is the overly complicated rule set. The WFTDA is constantly changing the rules. How can such a simple sport be dogged the largest set of rules. The offside rule of football (soccer) is less complicated than the roller derby rules
DarrenVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2018, 07:35 PM   #19
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenVS View Post
I was a derby ref for almost 2 years. Having been asked to sign up after meeting the local team at a special event locally. Having joined them, I found I was actually skating lesss and less. My time was taken up with learning the most complicated set of rules of any sport Iíve encountered. Having spent 30 odd years learning not to fall over, it was hard work falling even with the right protective kit.
And trying to get derby skaters to come to a normal skate session and have some fun was like having root canal surgery. I can still tell a derby skater at an open session even if they arenít wearing their kit. It just astounds me how little Skating they actually do.
Yea man. Totally crazy. They do SOO little SKATING and skill building. The fun of skating is so closely associated with just work and not play you can't get them to come to session. They wonder why it takes months or even a year to pass mins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenVS View Post
The trouble with becoming a derby ref is the overly complicated rule set. The WFTDA is constantly changing the rules. How can such a simple sport be dogged the largest set of rules. The offside rule of football (soccer) is less complicated than the roller derby rules
This is part of the fan base issue. Only people who are already vested in the sport have any idea of what's going on. The recycling bullcrap is part of it. Remembering who they are track cutting and who they aren't, and most of the time the entire defensive line will run back, even though only 1 is being cut. Just to intentionally pull penalties if a ref is unsure. I have seen so many calls that were wrong because of that. More so with newer refs.

Make them come back in 1 hash mark back from where they were knocked out. Simple. Keep the pack moving forward always, simple.

I like being able to mess with people and run them back. It's fun little banter sh!t, but for actual gameplay and progressing the sport... horrible idea.
Old July 16th, 2018, 05:49 PM   #20
fierocious1

Quote:
Yea man. Totally crazy. They do SOO little SKATING and skill building. The fun of skating is so closely associated with just work and not play you can't get them to come to session. They wonder why it takes months or even a year to pass mins.

This is part of the fan base issue. Only people who are already vested in the sport have any idea of what's going on. The recycling bullcrap is part of it. Remembering who they are track cutting and who they aren't, and most of the time the entire defensive line will run back, even though only 1 is being cut. Just to intentionally pull penalties if a ref is unsure. I have seen so many calls that were wrong because of that. More so with newer refs.

Make them come back in 1 hash mark back from where they were knocked out. Simple. Keep the pack moving forward always, simple.

I like being able to mess with people and run them back. It's fun little banter sh!t, but for actual gameplay and progressing the sport... horrible idea.
I used to see derby skaters at the rinks, not so much any more. The ones I do see are just about as you describe, not up to par and been skating for some time. It's a lot of watching certain movies and wanting life to be a certain way with some. Things just don't work that way. So the sisterhood/brotherhood is there but the progress is not. If you want to be a good skater, you have to put in your time. If it is not fun to skate but a person is there for a social event, it won't last and less effort will be put into it.