S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old June 22nd, 2018, 05:03 PM   #1
kcire10

Default HELLO!

Hey All,

My name is Erick, 46 years young and I'm about a year back into skating after a 20 year hiatus. I got back into the groove after going to a kid's skate party last July at a local skating rink. I saw how much fun it was and decided to get back into it. In this last year, I've surprised myself with how well I can skate and how much I'm picking up from being around more advanced skaters.

I live in Irvington, NJ and skate pretty much every other day (2 times a week at the rink and practice in my dining room). The skates I ride on are the Riedell 120 Juice Rhythm skates with PowerDyne Reactor Neoaluminum plate, Bionic Bearings, Sure Grip All American Plus Wheels – White (3 wheels on each skate – 2 in front, 1 on back outer side), and Sure Grip Fo-Mac Premier Rhythm Wheels – Black (1 wheel on each skate – on back inner side). I have now ordered some Snyder Super Deluxe plates, along with some Bones Swiss Bearings, to change it up a bit.

I hope to learn much from the more cultured aficionados of the sport!
kcire10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2018, 11:46 PM   #2
hoohoorjoo

Default Welcome back!

I, too, returned to skating after about 22 yrs, because my older daughter wanted to go like every weekend (after she asked for skates for Christmas). Both my girls now LOVE the rink and I have re-discovered how much I enjoy it, too. There's lots of good info and advice here, good people, too. Enjoy!
Btw, Snyder makes an excellent plate. I have a Snyder Advantage plate on one pair of my skates, and they are really nice.
hoohoorjoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2018, 01:57 AM   #3
kcire10

hoohoorjoo... Thanks and nice to meet you. I've been lurking for awhile but just recently decided to join. My girls don't particularly like to skate but oh well, their loss.

I keep hearing the Snyders are great and I can't wait until they arrive. I wanted to get the Roll Line Dance plates but didn't want to pay the money to put them on the boots I already have so I decided to save getting those for when I build a whole new skate set up.
Old June 23rd, 2018, 05:40 AM   #4
campingnut

Welcome. I too have just got back into skating through my kid. He came back from a birthday party at a rink and told me he had a blast. I told him, I used to skate when I was a kid..., so he dragged me out to the rink and we had a blast! I have just had some new skates built for me, I cannot wait to try them out in the next few days.
campingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2018, 11:25 PM   #5
Oicusk82huh

Hi, it's good to see you here! The Riedell 120 boots are great, all I had to do to mine was change the wheels and loosen the trucks. I hope the boot lasts. Let us know how that Snyder Deluxe is treating you.

I'm not too familiar with NJ except for Branch Brook! Are you close? That place is AMAZING!!! It's competitive, FAST, and crowded. The learning curve is amazing there. WOW.

Do you ever venture to NY??? Have you tried Hot Skates or Crazy Legs in Brooklyn (Kozkiosko St)? Both are really fun places to skate, Hot Skates has a rhythm skating class on Friday nights. Brooklyn reminds me of skating in my basement when I was a kid, it's that kind of fun, and HOT in the summer. Then there's Central Park DSA, that's always fun too, but if you're shy (like me) sometimes you can feel like a zoo animal on display.

Great to have you back, keep us posted.
Oicusk82huh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2018, 12:47 PM   #6
kcire10

Oicusk82huh.... Nice to meet you! Good to be here. So many knowledgeable people here. I'll keep you all updated once I get the plates. They should arrive today.

Yep, I live less than 10 minutes away from Branch Brook Park. Matter of fact I was there last night. Sunday night is adult night from 9pm-1am and the place was packed as usual. Even though I've only been back at it for almost a year, I surprise people with how good I've gotten over the last 6 months. It is fast paced and gets ugly sometimes for those who can't keep up.

Sometimes I go to NY to skate, usually Rollerjam in Staten Island or Hot Skates in Long Island. The guys I skate with go to Brooklyn but I've never been there myself. We all go to Central Park during the summer.
Old June 29th, 2018, 05:39 AM   #7
Oicusk82huh

You're lucky to live in that area, I have to travel for good skating, and it can get expensive. I'm gonna make a wild guess and say you're into rhythm skating? It's fun and interesting to see the age variation at these places. Some young kids, some young adults with families, and then you have the people whose kids grew up and moved out, grandparents too. It's an amazing world. It's more amazing to see the talent. Great to have you here.

PS keep us posted on that new plate! Details!!!
Old June 29th, 2018, 09:00 PM   #8
kcire10

Yes I am. Within 20-30 minutes, I can get to 6-7 different rinks to skate, any day of the week. Yep, I rhythm skate and it is more uptempo than how any other area may skate. Good workout, helps to increase response time and hone moves, and you sleep well at night after a good hard skate lol

It is interesting. Whenever we go to Woodbridge to skate, the competition/artistic roller skaters stay after their practice and watch us skate. They are impressed watching us skate, more than I thought they would be. Even their instructors ask about some of the moves we pull. I was surprised to see this couple who were in their 70s skating at Branchbrook. They were friggin good to.

As for my plates, I'll probably get those put on next week since the holiday is close and skating slows a bit. I will definitely keep everyone updated on how they feel.
Old June 30th, 2018, 09:26 AM   #9
Oicusk82huh

http://longisland.news12.com/story/3...-to-stay-young

I'm sure if you skate a lot, you've seen her around. I had NOOOOOOO idea she was 81 until I saw a Facebook video, then the news caught hold of it.

Figure/artistic skaters are amazing too. The stuff they do looks easy, but is deceptively difficult and can improve your skating. I've learned just as much from the artistic skaters as I have from the rhythm skaters. "Uptempo" is a better way to describe skaters at Branch Brook. I'm jealous, I wish I had incredible rinks like that around here. Not complaining, just wishing.

Never heard of Woodbridge till now. Would it be worth checking out (it would be an hour and a half drive)? I travel an hour an a half almost every week to get good skating sessions (dance, rhythm, adult). So just wondering.

I heard Bill Butler is gonna show up at Big Bob's birthday skate party on July 14, I think he's in his 80's too! Details are not clear yet, should be a great party.
Old June 30th, 2018, 05:57 PM   #10
wired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oicusk82huh View Post
http://longisland.news12.com/story/3...-to-stay-young

I'm sure if you skate a lot, you've seen her around. I had NOOOOOOO idea she was 81 until I saw a Facebook video, then the news caught hold of it.
Made my day! Thank you!

Old July 1st, 2018, 02:54 PM   #11
kcire10

Nice!!!! Yep, I know Ms. Edna. She comes to Branchbrook sometimes. It's amazing right?

Yea, the artistic/figure skating is difficult because it's all about form. I was talking to this kid this past Wednesday about how he get so high doing his axel jumps. He told me he gets help from his stoppers on front of his skates. I don't have em so oh well . When we skate we have more of a freestyle system where we just do moves on the fly. Also, we do the moves to house/club music which makes it that much more difficult because everything is on beat. It takes time but after awhile you get it.

I have a skate buddy (Kenny) who is traveling to and from Florida hitting up skating rinks in each state all along the way. He put a 40+min video on YouTube called Lost Soul Out on the Roll, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_L-NW7LvlgQ. Check it out. It shows the different styles and the selection in music. A lot of the music is much slower which we aren't used to. I told him I was jealous and he just laughed.

Woodbridge is a community center but their skating rink is comparable to any skating rink you go to. Once in there you wouldn't know you are in a community center except the running track above it (They also have an ice skating rink if you are into that which is available for open skate). We are usually there on Wednesday nights from 6-8:30. The cost is $4 and it is not too crowded. The floor is nice and you can practice. If I don't feel like going to Branchbrook, I'll go there on the weekend. On Saturday's the hours are 12-5pm and 6-8:30pm. Price is $8. On Sunday's, they're open from 12-5pm. The cost is $8. And if I don't want to go there, 10 minutes away is RollerMagic in South Amboy, NJ. The music isn't that great at these rinks but I usually bring my earplugs and zone out.

I haven't been to Hot Skates in awhile. I'll talk to the fellas about making tracks out there during that weekend.