S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Skating Forum Most of the discussions in this forum will be about inline speed skating but discussions about ice speed skating and quad roller speed skating are also welcome.

Old October 22nd, 2006, 01:02 AM   #1
oferyko
digging contractor

Default moulding my boot

hi, people
recently i bought my first pair of racing boots these are Core A.Contin boots:

since my dealer forgot to supply me with heating instruction how to mould the boot, i'd like to c if anyone here can give some tip how to do it.
i tried to find some information on the net about it and stil i'm not sure what and how to use. here are some links that me and my friend found:
this one talk about 175 degrees!! maybe Fahrenheit?
and in this one i found some info in paragraph no'5 and 6. more forward there is more datailed specification of my boot
so anyone knows some thing about how to mould them safely?

P.S - i already sent an email to my dealer
oferyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2006, 02:37 AM   #2
mvirtue
Rain Coordinator

175 - 180F start with 15 minutes and then check to see if you can fles the area you want to mold. If it does not move then check every 5 minutes. Remember to remove the wheels. When you lace the boots don't use the straps just the laces.
mvirtue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2006, 07:11 AM   #3
online inline

skate on them for about a week before you heat mold them, that way you will know the areas that need it, if any. By that time, the folks you bought them from should of had more than enough time to get you the manufacturer;s heat molding instructions.
You will want to take your time and proceed with caution so as to not burn the boot, or melt areas of the boot you don't want to, like the soles.
Your best bet is to attain help from someone you trust that has done it before. If not, proceed cautiously.
online inline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2006, 09:57 AM   #4
Pepper Montana

Quote:
Originally Posted by online inline View Post
If not, proceed cautiously.

True confession here. I like to pick up hitchhikers and pay them to ....Whoops, wrong forum! Never mind...

Real true confession. The first time I was heat molding my boots with a heat gun I accidently made an area of the padded tongue of the boot get hard and tough. I was directing the heat at the ankle area of the boot but I heated up the interior of the boot so much that the tongue got really hot. The tongue on that spot was never the same. Be careful!

Last edited by Pepper Montana; October 22nd, 2006 at 12:20 PM.
Pepper Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2006, 10:05 AM   #5
online inline

watch your tongue, Dave.

a guy on the indoor team i train with screwed up his boots by heat molding incorrectly and the cant of the boot was forever wrong. He had to use shims or cant strips from then on to correct it. That's about the biggest mistake you can make - when you mess up the sole of the boot so that the frame comes off of the sole at an angle.
Old October 22nd, 2006, 10:10 AM   #6
Pepper Montana

Yeah, it was a real tongue depressor when I did that to my boot.

Making your boot off cant! That would be the worst! All that beautiful carbon fiber and leather ruined... It makes me sick just thinking about it.
Old October 22nd, 2006, 10:32 AM   #7
online inline

he did just fine in them, but he had to use wedges. I asked him one day why he was using them and he told me the story. Now he has a brand new pair of Simmons customs, so like most things in life, if you wait long enough, they croak on their own accord.

Regardless of what anyone says, that's why i don't like heat molding in the oven - you can't control it. A heat gun i can control, and is the only way i would heat mold a boot.

Tongues can be easily replace, by the way. Send them to Simmons Racing and they replace tongues for something like $10. I had mine done recently along with new linings, new eyelets, a new cuff at the top of the boot, and a new insole.
Old October 22nd, 2006, 12:51 PM   #8
oferyko
digging contractor

hi guys,
thanks. totaly agree about not inserting the boot to an oven, just the though of it makes me worry.
but still i have some questions:
1. A "heat gun" what is it? like hair drier?
2. maybe heating the interior of the boot? looks good?
3. i understand why not the wheels, but what about the frame? keep it attached or seperate it from the boot?
4. about the tounge story, what went wrong with the tounge?
Old October 22nd, 2006, 01:14 PM   #9
Pepper Montana

Hi Oferyko! Your new skates look beautiful! How do you like them?
  1. A heat gun is similar to a blow dryer/hair dryer only it gets much hotter.
  2. Heating of the interior of the boot? I'm not sure what you mean.
  3. If you are heating your boots with a heat gun you can leave the frames attached. You can leave your wheels on also.
  4. I was heating the interior of the boot with the heat gun. I was not directing the hot air towards the tongue of the boot but the tongue was heated sufficiently enough to cause the padding inside of it to react negatively to the heat. The hot air was blowing all over the inside of the boot. (BTW, the boot was a Rollerblade Problade that was advertised as heat moldable. They do mold but it takes a lot of heat and effort to get any results!) It wasn't soft and cushy, it was hard and tough.
Happy skating!
Old October 22nd, 2006, 01:55 PM   #10
oferyko
digging contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Morgan View Post
Hi Oferyko! Your new skates look beautiful! How do you like them?
  1. Heating of the interior of the boot? I'm not sure what you mean.
Happy skating!
i realy like'em they fit me like a glove. suprisingly after skating 30 K"M (my first 30 k"m with the new boots) i got only one little wart on my toe and that's it for now.

about heating the interior of the boot. i meat using a special machine, with which i used in the past, to to heat my CrossMax costum fit boots.
is it looks ok?
Old October 22nd, 2006, 11:54 PM   #11
online inline

Quote:
Originally Posted by oferyko View Post
about heating the interior of the boot. i meat using a special machine, with which i used in the past, to to heat my CrossMax costum fit boots.
what special machine would that be. Heat gun is the only tool i am aware of for heat molding boots besides an oven.
Old October 23rd, 2006, 03:21 PM   #12
LezSk8

Location: Longwood, Florida, 1 1/2 miles from the Seminole Wekiva Trail.

I'm sure it varies depending on the heat gun and the moldable material used on the boot, but what is a good estimated time required to get the moldable material moldable? I ask because I tried it once but became concerned after a few minutes and the moldable didn't soften. Fearing I'd screw it up, I quit. Also, any tips on protecting the other skate materials from over heating?

LezSk8!
Old October 23rd, 2006, 05:15 PM   #13
Code Monkey

oferyko,

I heat molded my speed boots and they fit great. The way I did it was the oven method with a little variation. I took off the frame and cleaned off the boot. Have the oven to temperature which in my case was 170 F. I put the boots in for twenty minutes. During that time I put Dr. Scholls moleskin on the areas of my foot that I was experiencing irritation. I put on one layer of moleskin and then on top of that one I stuck another. Then I put my sock on careful not to disturb the moleskin. Took out the boot with oven mits and then placed my foot inside the boot and laced it up, not to tight but not loose either. Then I sat down in a chair with my knee directly over the boot. I then sat there in that position for fifteen minutes which was over long enough for the boot to cool down. Then I put on the frame and wheels and took off the moleskin and went skating down the street in front of my house for about five minutes. Then I packed up my skates and went to my local skate place and did an hour and a half skate.

This method worked excellent for me.

Also only do one boot at a time and use a oven thermometer to get your precise oven temperature. Take your time and only lace your boots do not use any of the straps or buckles, only lace your boots, and don't lace them tight just snug.
Code Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2006, 05:41 PM   #14
mvirtue
Rain Coordinator

For my Luigino Challenge boot it is about 1/2 an hour at 170. For my Powerslide C4s it is about 45 minutes, also at 170. You want to leave the frames on or else you might mess up the mount distance or end up with canted blocks.
Old October 23rd, 2006, 07:51 PM   #15
Code Monkey

mV,

Thanks man! I appreciate your speaking up because I am going to heat mold my other C4 pair. Leaving the frames on does make sense now that I think about it.

Did you cant your C4s? If so how?

Thanks again.
Old October 23rd, 2006, 08:04 PM   #16
mvirtue
Rain Coordinator

I did not cant my C4s, I just have the frames really shifted in. I did however cant my Challenges. I used the Bont carbon wedges. and gave them a 1degree cant and a 1mm rise in the rear.
Old October 24th, 2006, 12:28 AM   #17
oferyko
digging contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by online inline View Post
what special machine would that be. Heat gun is the only tool i am aware of for heat molding boots besides an oven.
concerning what dave wrote, this machine blow hot air into the interior of the boot. well, i can't realy describe but i'll take a picture of it, next time i'll get to c it.
Old October 24th, 2006, 05:21 PM   #18
Code Monkey

oferyko,

Online/Inline said to skate in the boots for a while before heat molding and in thinking about it I agree totally. By accident that is what I did and I am very pleased with my boots. I thought about it and I probably put on about four hundred miles before putting my boots in the oven. Those boots you have are to excellent to goof up so if it were me I would skate a lot of miles in them before doing any heat molding. Personally (and this is just me) but I don't have enough knowledge or skill or experience to feel confident to heat mold with a heat gun. The oven method has worked very well for me. But like I said my first pair of Powerslide C4 boots had about four hundred miles on them before heat molding them. My other pair of C4 boots that I am going to heat mold someday soon have probably about the same mileage on them. Skate a lot in them first you may find heat molding is not necessary. The only reason I am heat molding my boots is because I know for sure two areas that I can change a little to make my foot feel much much better. One is around the ankle and the other is the toe.
Old October 25th, 2006, 06:44 AM   #19
online inline

Code, its pretty darn tough to heat mold the toe area. i've tried everything in that area with varying degrees of success. But it's not easy, and sometimes stretching the area or dremelling is a more viable option.
Old October 25th, 2006, 11:14 AM   #20
Pepper Montana

I had the toe area of my K2s stretched at a shoe store.(Redwing, if it matters) The toe area has some leather construction so they sprayed the toe with a chemical and used a boot stretcher for 24 hours. The stretch that I got was small but it helped.