S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Skating Forum Most of the discussions in this forum will be about inline speed skating but discussions about ice speed skating and quad roller speed skating are also welcome.

Old May 30th, 2017, 09:16 PM   #1
panch0

Default Blisters

So I'm getting a blister on the same spot everyday I skate now (lateral side of heel bone on my left foot) ... I am having to take 1-2 days off skating to heal my blisters enough just so I can get back to skating and get another blister...

For those of you getting blisters, what do you guys do? How do you manage your blisters so you can skate? AM I being too much of a cry baby? Does everyone skate with blisters and it's just normal for skating?
Old May 30th, 2017, 09:40 PM   #2
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

Liquid bandage. Yeah, it stings at first application, but it works.

Also, use vet wrap. It's that stretchy wrap that feels rubbery. You can get it at Tractor Supply stores or equestrian supply stores for cheap. Or CVS/Walgreens sells it for probably 3x what Tractor Supply sells it for. Amazon also sells it.

chuckboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2017, 09:42 PM   #3
ese002

Quote:
Originally Posted by panch0 View Post
So I'm getting a blister on the same spot everyday I skate now (lateral side of heel bone on my left foot) ... I am having to take 1-2 days off skating to heal my blisters enough just so I can get back to skating and get another blister...

For those of you getting blisters, what do you guys do? How do you manage your blisters so you can skate? AM I being too much of a cry baby? Does everyone skate with blisters and it's just normal for skating?
Blister Bandages can be helpful. I used those often during a period where I was seeing frequent blisters during weekend workouts and commuting on skates during the week.

Longer term, you need to look into why this happening and fix it. It sound like a classic heal lift problem. This can be attacked with better technique: If your heel properly sinks in at the end of your stride, it won't lift.

Also, it sounds like you have too much space in the heel area. EZ-fits do the trick for some people.

More challenging, but more rewarding if you get it right, is to heat up the boots and shrink the heels. Various clamps and even shoe stretchers (to stand in for you foot) can be useful. Neither a quick nor an easy task.
ese002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2017, 07:29 PM   #4
Rollmazicon

What sort of boot? And post a pic of your blister.
Rollmazicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2017, 07:50 PM   #5
bjvircks
Major Trouble

I found kinesio tape helped me break into new boots. the grippyness of the adhesive worked well for me. Of course, use long strip to go well above the area and also under the heel. I had no need for anchor wraps like athletic tape.

(EDIT) and, yes... you are being a big crybaby!
Old May 31st, 2017, 08:00 PM   #6
kufman

Quote:

Are you toe pushing?
kufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2017, 10:15 PM   #7
panch0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollmazicon View Post
What sort of boot? And post a pic of your blister.
I have custom Simmons boots. Had them for 9 months now. Personally, with custom boots, I don't think I should be getting blisters and I don't think I should be using tape or cushions or anything else with these boots. In 10 years of skating, I have never had blisters! I do use the EzeeFit booties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjvircks View Post
and, yes... you are being a big crybaby!
Read above!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kufman View Post
Are you toe pushing?
Only the regular toe pushing at the end of the stroke at higher speeds (21+ mph). I'm pretty sure it's not my technique because I'm skating the same and never got one with my other boots.

One of the reason I'm asking about the blisters is because I have a few friends that ask me to "bite it" and just skate with blisters I suppose for the rest of my life? I just got the boots and I would like to be blister free... but do others just "bite it"?
Old June 1st, 2017, 04:46 AM   #8
Rollmazicon

FWIW, I've modified a pair of Mota Mojo Carbon quad boots for a girl that was having the same issue. I just peeled up the synthetic leather upper, made deep cuts (using a Dremel) in the carbon heel cup portion that was too inwardly protrusive, and glued the upper back down. Looked exactly the same, but the offending carbon portion of the boot was made more flexible and didn't cause any further blistering.
Rollmazicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2017, 10:02 AM   #9
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Are your socks the same? Did you get new ones? Are they worn out?
Old June 1st, 2017, 03:59 PM   #10
JimmyB
Pinnacle Footwear Expert

I'm in Orlando right now

I know you have heated them up, but try to squeeze the area a little more to prevent slippage.. it could be room in other places on your foot also, allowing movement.
JimmyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2017, 09:41 PM   #11
panch0

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyB View Post
I'm in Orlando right now
I am very tempted... if I can't solve this problem soon... I will find you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyB View Post
I know you have heated them up, but try to squeeze the area a little more to prevent slippage.. it could be room in other places on your foot also, allowing movement.
I can't figure out exactly what is happening... I don't think it's slippage but it might be. The blister only happens when I go fast or when I "labor" a lot because of wind or trying to chase down cyclists... at the end of the push under these conditions, I feel a "bite". If I don't go fast or labor too much, I don't get the blister.
Old June 1st, 2017, 10:39 PM   #12
Spencer.Berry

I've had similar problems on a few occasions over the years. In my case, moleskin worked wonders. I would cut out several doughnut shaped pieces of moleskin and stick several layers together (sometime 5+ layers). Then stick this onto your heel, with the center of the doughnut over the area where the blister forms. It's a bit of a hassle to do this each time you skate, but the few times I've had this problem, it was just a temporary problem that went away on its own after a few weeks. Good luck with this! Hope you find a solution quickly!
Spencer.Berry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2017, 12:42 AM   #13
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

It almost has to be slippage or pushing off the toe. Blisters happen because of friction, which is why using multiple layers of material (an ezeefit and a wicking sock) help to prevent blisters if your form is poor. I'm not saying your form is that poor, but skating longer distances with a minimal toe flick could cause blistering if there is a small amount of movement between your boot and your bare foot.
Old June 2nd, 2017, 11:55 PM   #14
jotson

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckboucher View Post
It almost has to be slippage or pushing off the toe. Blisters happen because of friction, which is why using multiple layers of material (an ezeefit and a wicking sock)
There's a company that makes a thin dual layer sock, and Wrightsock guarantees no blisters.. I use the Coolmesh II. Not sure if they work for extreme blisters, but there's always the money back guarantee...
jotson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2017, 05:29 AM   #15
Spencer.Berry

Do you still have the comfy old Pinnacles?
If so, maybe do the majority of your training miles on those, and just do a few miles per day on the new skates, and gradually increase the volume. Just an idea.
Spencer.Berry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2017, 09:18 PM   #16
panch0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer.Berry View Post
I've had similar problems on a few occasions over the years. In my case, moleskin worked wonders.
I bought this anti-blister pad similar to moleskin... it worked really good. Yeah it's a f'kin' hassle to do it everyday... I didn't spend $1600 to be doing this everyday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckboucher View Post
It almost has to be slippage or pushing off the toe. Blisters happen because of friction.
I completely agree! I am sure it's not my technique and it's not toe pushing. Since I started this post I've been more aware of the boot and I think it's slightly bigger than my heel. Just a tad enough to have some slippage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer.Berry View Post
Do you still have the comfy old Pinnacles?
If so, maybe do the majority of your training miles on those, and just do a few miles per day on the new skates, and gradually increase the volume. Just an idea.
My Pinnacles are old... the inside of my boots is done. They are very hard inside because everything is worn out (and never gave me blisters, even when hard) and they're harsh on my ankle bones (that's why I got a new boot). And my Simmons are not new... I'm beginning my 10th month on them and I skate about 100 miles a week on them so they have been worn enough.

I used to think very highly of custom boots but not so much now. I think if you can fit into stock boots, you should do it. I'm no one in the skating community but I'm a "better" known cyclist and many of my cycling friends wanted to get custom cycling shoes when I got my skates.... now that they've seen my problems with custom boots, they're all scared of custom shoes.

In anyway, I appreciate all your comments. I've learned a lot and thought about new things to deal with this topic. The bottom line is that with all the fixing I've tried on the boot, I think this boot is now a loss. I'm out of that money and boot.... unless I am willing to get a blister everyday I skate.
Old June 6th, 2017, 11:19 PM   #17
shesk8

Default the right sock is the SOLE sock!

If you can fit a sock,then try the SOLE socks. So, in my experience over the years searching for the right sock for skates, I had tried 'wright sock' years ago and tosses them in the trash. Just had a vendor rep come by my shop and told him it's not something I'd even consider selling, let alone use. Here's why- they are dual layered,that means fabric slipping all over the place ,they are loose fitting. the SOLE socks are all we sell for a reason -they work! My personal skate testing was 100 miles, and no blistering, they won me over.

SOLE has micro seamed toe box, compression around the arch, no sagging in the skates. They are thinner and tighter fitting than any cycling sock. I could go on, but give us a shout and we'll get a pair out to you.

Sorry to hear you're having blisters from customs. They are not necessarily the end-all to getting the perfect fit. Feet can/do change over time, and can be swollen when molded and smaller at other times, and allow foot movement. There are other factors that can contribute as well any subtle hip alignment issues may interfere with the pressure you displace on each foot in the boots on the push. for instance - if either of the hips are rotated forward/back that can change how you set down and displace pressure on the foot in the boot (this has more to do with overall anatomical alignments). A good body alignment assessment will help you to discover whether or not if there is any underlying anatomical condition at play.

During molding, just a slight, seemingly imperceptible weight shift can interfere with end results. So, it's hard to say as to why any one boot maker can have both success and failures, it's not necessarily how they build, but how you are molded and the close parameters used to keep you in that position 100% during the process. And, then naturally it follows then how close your body stays to that 100% position during skating.

another quick blister fix -
Dr Scholls gel heel liners - just cut to what ever size you need and adhere to the inside of the boots in that area.

hope you find an solution.
happy rolling!
shesk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2017, 04:46 AM   #18
onurleft

Default Re: blisters

I've had mixed success with the following product -
https://www.drscholls.com/productsan...frictionstick/
onurleft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2017, 05:45 AM   #19
ese002

Quote:
In anyway, I appreciate all your comments. I've learned a lot and thought about new things to deal with this topic. The bottom line is that with all the fixing I've tried on the boot, I think this boot is now a loss. I'm out of that money and boot.... unless I am willing to get a blister everyday I skate.
Two options:

1) Since you have a good idea what is wrong with the Simmons, ask Dave to fix them. Like most custom boot makers, he does stand behind his work and he has tools and experience to do a much better job than you or I.

2) Ask Jimmy about doing a rebuild on your Pinnacles. If the exterior is fine, maybe even just a re-line. I don't know how much he charges but I know he does it and it should be much cheaper than new boots. For reference, Simmons charges $350 for a rebuild and $35 for a reline.
ese002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2017, 02:46 PM   #20
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotson View Post
There's a company that makes a thin dual layer sock, and Wrightsock guarantees no blisters.. I use the Coolmesh II. Not sure if they work for extreme blisters, but there's always the money back guarantee...
Quote:
Originally Posted by shesk8 View Post
I had tried 'wright sock' years ago and tosses them in the trash. Just had a vendor rep come by my shop and told him it's not something I'd even consider selling, let alone use. Here's why- they are dual layered,that means fabric slipping all over the place ,they are loose fitting.
I've found the same issue with Wright socks. They feel loose and sloppy and very slippery. I normally use a coolmax cycling sock w/ an ultra thin Ezeefit ankle bootie and have had zero blister issues.

I also have to be careful of having a sock too tight. Even though I'm probably in the best skating shape that I've ever been (just under 20% body fat), I still have a predisposition for type 2 diabetes and if I eat too many bad carbs, my feet fall asleep easily. I don't think the Sole socks would work for me if they're too tight.