S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum Discussions about roller dancing, jamskating, rexing, rink session skating, dance circle skating, and similar types of recreational indoor and outdoor skate dancing .

Old December 24th, 2011, 11:34 AM   #121
Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holiday Guy View Post
Try to get a organ session at your rink a lot of rinks in my area is starting to have these sessions they seem to do very well with shuffle and dance skating they can be a lot of fun.
We had a recorded organ music session for many years. playing competitive dance music. this session did not do very well. most likely due to the lack of competitive skaters. and has been replaced with a open fugure club practice. A session done with a live musician could work, but would take time to build up. most saters want funk and R&B. which is also recorded. would be a tough sell to get going. if the rink was run by a former skater it could happen but the reality is it's run by a bussiness man. while he is supportive he is more interested in reducing his effort. he has hired a DJ in the past for the adult night.which has been popular. as it is many skaters travel all over the state to find a good session.
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2011, 01:18 PM   #122
KMA

Bill I would go to an organ session, pretty sure my dance partner would too. But you are correct we. Would probably be close to the only ones.

I want to go to an organ session for my birthday in Feb. I don't really wan to drive to Portland, but I will if I have too.

Glad you are doing Thursday nights in San Jose. I am going to try to stay next time I don't have my little people.

Katy
KMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2012, 09:41 PM   #123
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Skateaway Bethlehem, PA (Miss Marie

Hi ALL,

http://www.bethlehemskateaway.com/

I really wanted to skate in New Jersey this past Thursday. Yet after checking all the sites from Staten Island, South Amboy, Union, Woodbridge, even Derby Loca's place Thursday was a no go for a Thursday Night Session. Bummer... I did drive to Staten's Beach on Friday and Menlo Park, NJ in Edison.

Well I got to see Miss Marie, not SLF's Miss Marie yet a darn good older skate gal who volunteers to teach the kids at Session how to skate. Other than that she does spins and other funky stuff in the middle and is quite good.

Met some Derby gals from Hackensack, NJ who are out of a home for now.

The two young guys were both good (one the DJ) yet didn't know the Coffin, Shoot the Turkey or the Bent to the Side Shoot the Duck (the limbo move)

Good skaters click together, SO They gave me a lot of free passes and wanted me to come back ASAP. More yet will stop.. The funniest part comes next.

One middle age guy 40s (not a bad skater) said at my exit said "Your the Man" -OK I was stretching them with my moves, yet still not as good as our Boston area Jimmy, , , and many others I have skated with.

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave
P.S. The floor was a bit slippery so my less hard wheels, less than a Bones 101A were reasonable even if still slipping out.

Edit-01: OK another fun thing was this little black kid, now it could have been a little white girl yet hey they are kids. Well this kid was practicing one foot skates, and I had to show him some stuff he might grow to enjoy. So I skated on one foot and swung the other to the back and front and then skated on the other and did the same. I loved watching him try to copy me. Good fast are little kids.

Last edited by MANY_SkatingDave; January 3rd, 2012 at 03:29 AM. Reason: The little black kid
MANY_SkatingDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2012, 05:23 PM   #124
Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by MANY_SkatingDave View Post
Hi ALL,

http://www.bethlehemskateaway.com/

I really wanted to skate in New Jersey this past Thursday. Yet after checking all the sites from Staten Island, South Amboy, Union, Woodbridge, even Derby Loca's place Thursday was a no go for a Thursday Night Session. Bummer... I did drive to Staten's Beach on Friday and Menlo Park, NJ in Edison.

Well I got to see Miss Marie, not SLF's Miss Marie yet a darn good older skate gal who volunteers to teach the kids at Session how to skate. Other than that she does spins and other funky stuff in the middle and is quite good.

Met some Derby gals from Hackensack, NJ who are out of a home for now.

The two young guys were both good (one the DJ) yet didn't know the Coffin, Shoot the Turkey or the Bent to the Side Shoot the Duck (the limbo move)

Good skaters click together, SO They gave me a lot of free passes and wanted me to come back ASAP. More yet will stop.. The funniest part comes next.

One middle age guy 40s (not a bad skater) said at my exit said "Your the Man" -OK I was stretching them with my moves, yet still not as good as our Boston area Jimmy, , , and many others I have skated with.

P.S. The floor was a bit slippery so my less hard wheels, less than a Bones 101A were reasonable even if still slipping out.

Edit-01: OK another fun thing was this little black kid, now it could have been a little white girl yet hey they are kids. Well this kid was practicing one foot skates, and I had to show him some stuff he might grow to enjoy. So I skated on one foot and swung the other to the back and front and then skated on the other and did the same. I loved watching him try to copy me. Good fast are little kids.
one foot skating great drill!, forward and backward. before my illness. I would go a few laps forward and backwards. a good simple basic skill, simple but tough to master.
Good session last night. weather helps but many repeat skaters , heavy metal that was played before is gone. getting a pretty good regular crowd. It is family night, I suggested pop music . they wanted "vintage" music. I suggested vintage pop. top hits prior to 2000.Whilr I mainly wanted to play R&B/Funk trying to mix it up.with pop and rock. tough to find good skatable rock music. but a mix of music is good. I could play Country all night for me but know the crowd will thin out fast if I did.Crowd is picking up but Attribute that largly to time of year. the other rinks in the area also havemore crowded sessions. I also see many familar faces, so I know the music is helping.
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2012, 09:39 AM   #125
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Default Several of Recent Injuries

Had an injury at Moonlight tonight. A mid 30s gal, there with a couple of younger kids, apparently fell on her tailbone. I did not see it. What was odd was that she was standing along the wall in the middle of the straight for some time. They got her skates off and she was just standing there before they finally cleared the floor. They brought out the wheel chair, but she would not sit down. ?? It was not until the paramedics wheeled her out that I got it. She was laying on her side, and seemed to be in a lot of pain. Must have broke the tailbone. Also, not this last Thursday, but the Thursday before we had a great crowd at Fountain Valley. A 20 something girl took a fall and hit her head. She did not seem too bad, but 20 minutes later in the ambulance, she seemed really out of it and groggy. Oh, and the Saturday before the Thursday, again at Moonlight, I think a guy broke his elbow. He was icing it, but was in a lot of pain. He was with a group, but he left on his own power.

It is such an odd thing that people, with the exception of some derby folk, don't wear protective gear session skating. As a good skater who rarely falls, I feel it is beneath me. Even though I know that anything can happen.
Old February 3rd, 2012, 03:09 PM   #126
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Skateland Thursday,02Feb2012 Adult Skate

Hi All,

Well the most fun for me was seeing our SLF buddy RollerKingdom join the skate line, in line, and then push past the leader. I don't think our SKLnd buddy Mark knows how fast RollerKingdom can be when he is not interested in talking to the young ladies or speed skating. So anyway great skater Mark had to get out of the line to catch his breath and the others kept following RollerKingdom. Like with PJMariner, others I have been waiting to see guys like RollerKingdom lead gang skate lines. Besides it is easier for us OLD folk to follow a good skater.

Anyway it is getting consistently faster as I see many skaters having to take a break.

Other skate styles are missing from the mix, is the only problem. This is why I sometimes switch and follow Connie in the middle. Connie has a rap and a hand movement style that I would like to see grow alongside of fast outboard skating.

One young buddy (Ben) is not doing as well after his knee meniscus surgery as I had hoped. Not sure why?

Again our Albany, NY skater visited us and skated pretty darn well. Purple Shirt, fast foot work on the gang line (For PJ, RK), Opps forgot he was black and has parents I believe in Concord, MA. I love having him with us.

We celebrated a birthday with cake for another John, who brought his skate learning girlfriend. John has done really well since I first saw him as a newbie skater.

The Skate Music Marc played was too darn good. He must have been trying to bury us in fast music.

For me, I could switch to sideways skate fast, and chase the fast gang a bit and noticed that my arch calluses are coming back. SO my PTherapy on my knee is slowing paying dividends. No Pain the next morning on the inner left leg ligament is a Huge Plus.

Edit-01(031110)Feb: Yeah Rufus I have seen the same. One time I remember this mom that slipped and fell on the rug in the eating room. She came back to skating even while that tail bone was still in PAIN

Edit-02: Added the bit about Connie, dead Leon's former friend. Fixed my date screw up to 02Feb

Last edited by MANY_SkatingDave; February 3rd, 2012 at 03:48 PM. Reason: Rufus; Connie
Old February 3rd, 2012, 06:59 PM   #127
Rollerkingdom
Somewhere on neverland

at Dave,

that was fun leading the pack haha when I joined i had to keep braking sometimes to not hit the others but when I got in front we had a good fast pace going on and a big line.. looking forward to do it again!
Rollerkingdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2012, 02:11 AM   #128
OldSchoolRinkRat
Rink Rat 4 Life

Default Gibson Arena Muncie, IN

Jumped back in feet first after nearly a year of no skating. Saturday afternoon sessions are almost always the same around here. I used to frequent Saturdays because of the workout you get from playing kid dodge. .

The floor had been redone recently and was nice and tight, though I did have some slippage in the 3rd turn. No real big deal because that turn is always slick.

Was pleasantly surprised at the amount of old school music being played, first song on the playlist was Flashlight.

Saw three of the old regulars that are always there, and all of them asked me what corner of the map I fell off of. One thing I did notice was the lack of lesson time pre-session. As it was explained, Derby practice kind of took over that time spot. Kind of a shame really, but don't tell my friend Beastly I said that! (Blocker for the Cornfed Derby Dames).

Had several members of rink staff approach me to welcome me back, and ask if I was going to the Adult Skate Tomorrow night. My answer: "DUH!"

It's a good thing Beastly basically dragged me, kicking and screaming back to my "home", because I found out REAL fast how out of shape I had gotten being on sick call. Legs feel like rubber, and my addiction has once again been fed. Just hope the SEDS doesn't kick in again!
Old February 12th, 2012, 04:49 PM   #129
Holiday Guy
Doing It Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchoolRinkRat View Post
Jumped back in feet first after nearly a year of no skating. Saturday afternoon sessions are almost always the same around here. I used to frequent Saturdays because of the workout you get from playing kid dodge. .

The floor had been redone recently and was nice and tight, though I did have some slippage in the 3rd turn. No real big deal because that turn is always slick.

Was pleasantly surprised at the amount of old school music being played, first song on the playlist was Flashlight.

Saw three of the old regulars that are always there, and all of them asked me what corner of the map I fell off of. One thing I did notice was the lack of lesson time pre-session. As it was explained, Derby practice kind of took over that time spot. Kind of a shame really, but don't tell my friend Beastly I said that! (Blocker for the Cornfed Derby Dames).

Had several members of rink staff approach me to welcome me back, and ask if I was going to the Adult Skate Tomorrow night. My answer: "DUH!"

It's a good thing Beastly basically dragged me, kicking and screaming back to my "home", because I found out REAL fast how out of shape I had gotten being on sick call. Legs feel like rubber, and my addiction has once again been fed. Just hope the SEDS doesn't kick in again!
Same here one of my rinks "Holiday" still has it's adult class we also have some shuffle/jam clubs as well.
Old February 13th, 2012, 06:31 AM   #130
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Cool Lively Night at FV

Nice, fast, nearly advanced, night at Fountain Valley. There were quite a number of OC roller girls there. About 15-20. And a fair number of them, mostly the better skaters among them, I had NEVER seen before. There were some more noob derby girls, some ex-noobs that are getting better, and a smattering of some GOOD skating veterans. There was probably the normal amount of noob visitors. But by and large, it felt like old times. When the fast guy crew ruled, and MOST of the skaters were good advanced skaters. Very fun night.

FIGURE 8 BACKWARDS SKATE
I got a late start on the last backward skate. I did not skate the beginning/intermediate backward skate. (FV lets the adv skaters skate both, as we are smart enough to give the ACTUAL noobs room) There had been too many good, and fast, songs in a row, so I was tired and saving my energy for the advanced backward. I was chatting with someone, and a Michael Jackson tune came on that had already been played. I'm not a big MJ fan. I mean, some of his tunes are fine to skate to, but this had already been played. Whatever. So I get out to the floor to not see a single regular doing the fast backward. (?) Just some of the derby girls. One had just completed the right turn in the opposite direction, and went the normal way at the other end of the floor. I DID notice how well she went backward in the other direction. In fact, I had seen all of these girls skating "not so great" in the regular direction with traffic, but are doing real well without traffic, and even better in the opposite direction corner. Some backwards skaters just prefer the opposite direction. I get out there, and as I make a turn she tries to get me to go the other way. Too late, I am already going the normal direction. But I see two other girls take her cue, so I cut the middle to catch the tail end of the line and the 8 was in motion. Then a couple of regulars jump in. I think we only had 8 skaters. Kinda of fun though. A spontaneous backward 8. A couple of advanced regulars did 2 or 3 low 5's as they crossed. Good lively night.
Old February 13th, 2012, 12:24 PM   #131
Soled.Out

If you think about skating backwards in the opposite direction uses the same muscle memory and the same strides as going forward in the normal direction. So to see someone excel in that shouldn't be that big of a shock.
Soled.Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2012, 03:59 AM   #132
Rollerkingdom
Somewhere on neverland

Really fun adult session tonight had me sweaty. Good to see Dave (many_skatingdave) and Matt (pjmariner), but priceless to see Matt rocking the rentals after having his skate kingpin broken.. In which is not much fun ..
Old February 17th, 2012, 02:57 PM   #133
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Greater Boston-Skateland Thursday 16Feb2012

Hi ALL,

Yes RollerKingdom(Adam) it was fun, yet a crazy night since the gang skate lines were kind of broken up by the outboard slow skaters. It was hard to keep a line together till later in the session when I was pulling out my bearings. I could see you had loads of fun. Ben has got to be more careful till his knee is all better yet I feel for him not being able to skate at his potential.

Young People, rex/jam in the middle, including RollerKingdom
_^ Shoot I like when you guys/gals are doing tricks in the middle
- ^ Did you notice me circling you side surfing to show-off my young stars.
- ^ I have a Derby story about the one young lady that dyed her hair yet
- - can't tell it on line. It isn't very nice.
-^ Older-Amy (if in your 20s is old) used to do a better artistic spin
- - Yet my skate guard Amy did really good. BTW she is an Artist by trade.

PJMariner: I think I helped him since I used to run on rentals for years. I got the skate guard to pull out some Swede Boots that had wheels a lot harder in durometer for PJ's skating style. Not near as good as his own and a bummer since he could not skate his heart out. I could see Matt not being a happy camper.

Jimmy's young gal buddy. I hoped you saw the one young tall lady that was very tentative on her skates. She was sitting more than skating. She told me she is part of Terry's family. BTW they are black. Anyway not sure if you have seen our fast footwork Terry. I mean that guy sweats, and Jimmy does great backwards with sly fast moves and does the middle toe spins/sit spins.

Now our young male Skate Guard once again chopped off a fast skate line and I could see Mark(Tammy's husband) was pissed. He has done this before as has another skate guard we have had over the years. Sometimes skate guards are not just tuned in.

Now Connie, whom I enjoy, pulled me into that 3 some partner skate with Michelle. As we approached each corner Connie(our middle Rap/Dance gal) threw me forward so that I could whip the line around the corner. Connie is good at this. Poor Michelle since the whip can be scary when you are at the tail.

BTW I hope you noticed Kim and Amy in their shorts. After all you are a young guy and shouldn't miss this stuff.

More, yet some I can't tell since it is like The Guiding Light, or other Soap Operas filled with sex and failed/made human relationships

Old February 17th, 2012, 07:39 PM   #134
pjmariner
Thinkin' of a master plan

Default Sweet rides...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollerkingdom View Post
Really fun adult session tonight had me sweaty. Good to see Dave (many_skatingdave) and Matt (pjmariner), but priceless to see Matt rocking the rentals after having his skate kingpin broken.. In which is not much fun ..
Not sure how the guys at chez vous rock rentals every week and skate the way they do, I know I couldn't.

I got a hold of Jacob (sideswipe), and went to his machine shop in Chelsea today, He hooked me up with 4 proper kingpins he made himself, and sent me home with a torgue wrench to be sure they get intalled properly, guy is the best!

I will do a write up on the kingpins vs standard king pins to show what he does to solve the issue. Also, I guess he is not selling through Riedell and will market his stuff on his own, website is coming soon!
Old February 17th, 2012, 08:56 PM   #135
Holiday Guy
Doing It Old School

My 2 or 3 time going to a organ session WOW I was surprised how fast those people are going WARP 12 fast they was skating in big packs there footwork is very different then what I'm use to I had a blast and I will go again.
Old February 17th, 2012, 11:37 PM   #136
Rollerkingdom
Somewhere on neverland

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjmariner View Post
Not sure how the guys at chez vous rock rentals every week and skate the way they do, I know I couldn't.

I got a hold of Jacob (sideswipe), and went to his machine shop in Chelsea today, He hooked me up with 4 proper kingpins he made himself, and sent me home with a torgue wrench to be sure they get intalled properly, guy is the best!

I will do a write up on the kingpins vs standard king pins to show what he does to solve the issue. Also, I guess he is not selling through Riedell and will market his stuff on his own, website is coming soon!
Thats pretty cool.. he pretty much does all his stuff right, i kno last time i talked to him he was talking about the wheels and plate he made..
Old February 18th, 2012, 12:29 AM   #137
Guns840
P.T.H.D

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjmariner View Post

wow that was speedy...he's a good contact to have.
Old February 24th, 2012, 05:14 AM   #138
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default RollOn America / Massachusetts Vacation 22,23Feb2012

Hi ALL,

Know I am not supposed to post to catch up on piles of work, yet dang it skating with the teens and some 20's males this week was a blast!! Oops the young gals were fun too.

This entire week was Mass Vacation Week and the rinks are open lots of hours and days to accomodate the kids and parents. Closer to NHampshire where I lived a few years ago they had two weeks of this fun skating stuff close to the border area. One week Mass, next week New Hampshire.

Wednesday we had some of the old and new crew usuals coming to skate and some I hadn't seen before. My young (<8) Pakistani star and his family, plus two 20's guys on Agressive Wheels, Bones Bearings that recently skated all_night at an Indoor Park in Rye, NH; much much more and a guy who could keep up the pattern easily with funkysk8r. A fun tall young guy with fancy feet. Plus we had all the fast young teens (under 13) on InLines. Plus a few adult hockey guys who put on some speed.

And BTW, we all got along and the little kids in those Skate Carts, that I hate, managed quite well and had fun.. Great Place to Skate, great owners, and customers.

Thursday I had my option. Go to Skateland to skate with PjMariner, RollerKingdom, or skate local with the wildness of teens, younger, parents. I love teens and a mixed crowd so my option was limited. SO Thursday again was a good night and many saw me on Wednesday. So I sat with the parents of some young teens.
The young teens were hoping to skate every day this week. One told me he has to go hiking with his dad, yet hopes he gets to skate later. Later in the session past 20:00 (8PM) Derby gals were filtering in, so they must have had a practice later in the evening.

Anyway fun to see non_stop day upon day skating.

P.S. Link to Funksk8r's Recent Tread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkysk8r View Post
o - o

Last edited by MANY_SkatingDave; February 24th, 2012 at 05:21 AM. Reason: Adding Link
Old March 12th, 2012, 03:24 PM   #139
pjmariner
Thinkin' of a master plan

Default Boston to RollerJam review 3/10/2012

Update my orginal thread with review of session, here is the link:

http://www.skatelogforum.com/forums/...6&postcount=52
Old April 9th, 2012, 03:45 AM   #140
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Roll On America Fri/Sat w/The Teens

Hi All,

Well can't spend the time to take the drive :50min + each way, plus some more to go to Adult Skate at Skateland (Bradford, MA). So I have to cut it back to once every few weeks. Hopefully in a few months I can go more.

Yet I can skate with the teens, as I did for decades, prior to adult session come_backs in our area. We have a bunch now of Adult Skates. Bradford, Beverly, Dorchester, Tyngsboro, ?. Anyway the teens can be a tough crew, particularly when I add my speed, rhythmic skating, and some side surfing to the mix. Plus some older good skater folks past 20 that I know are also skating with the teens.

The teens still fall a lot, jump over bodies like cars, and sometimes almost knock you down as they strive to speed by. OK two young people fell in front of me as I was going back to my side rink table. Yet it was a simple fall onto the boy kid who fell in front of me. They got up, laughed it off, skated and I sat down and drank my juice till the next good song.