S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum Discussions about roller dancing, jamskating, rexing, rink session skating, dance circle skating, and similar types of recreational indoor and outdoor skate dancing .

Old August 18th, 2011, 01:48 AM   #101
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Good Night 11Aug2011 RollOnAmerica

Hi rcbarry,

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbarry View Post
Skating Dave o - o I use to skate at Roll On America back in the 80s in Lancaster Mass. I loved that place, I went 4 or more times week. I moved to NJ and had about a 25 year break o -o :
Well tonight I had my one young black gal skater (and mom) that does really quite well on her skate feet. In another tread I criticized this very good looking songstress, using Roller Bounce as a back drop, since my gal can skate and I enjoy her as does she me for skating.

Cute watching her girl try to copy her, which she can't.

The last few weeks we have had Skate Night Sleep Overs from all the way down in Boston (Roxbury, Cambridge) so Derby has been cancelled. Yet it is fun to see the young kids skate at a sleep over.

A few of the new adult regulars where there, getting better, so we will see.

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave
Old August 20th, 2011, 11:12 AM   #102
Bill

Default San Jose Skate Thursday session.

Wow just figured that this was for everyone... still trying to fill up my week. thursday night visited san jose. skate. quiet night. started off with una godda davida.?? the worst type of DJ was working. a non skater playing what she thought were cool songs, totally ignoring the skaters. she continued her set with some heavy metal and played one song twice, doh I almost didn't notice as the hyper beat of too fast drum rifs were monotonous. but my friend gave me a blank look and said didn't she play this?the night continued with turning off the lights. at least a few other homeless/rink less skaters showed up and we had a reunion of sorts. the 100 mile round trip to san Ramon is starting to look attractive.friday night redwood city has an entertaining session but. I might go there tomorrow.
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2011, 01:44 AM   #103
KMA

I basically stopped skating sessions for right now. I used to skate a lot of them because I was there. The session was after art practice, or speed practice and free. The new rink does not have practice before sessions, and the club dues does not cover sessions.

So basically I went to San Ramon Adult night once, but it conflicts with speed practice, so I will only go when there is no speed. The Monday night session w (retro night) conflicts with Dance practice; so only on nights when there is no practice. Or for that matter derby, which I would rather do then a session at this point.

Shame too San Ramon is 15 min. from my house but they do not want Art or Speed.

Dunno Redwood City has a session on Wed. nights after ice skating lessons but I have yet to get it together to make it there.

I miss everyone.

Soon though I need to break in my new Harlicks and then I will need a session or two.

Katy
KMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2011, 07:49 AM   #104
Bill

Hi Katy Miss you too. I'm off to burningman this week to the black rock roller disco, nevadas only open air rollerskating rink. for one week black rock city population 50,000 will have a adult session 24/7 rink will be about 60x160 and tounge and groove osb. board. uncoated, but the dust is abrasive and helps grip. so grip is pretty good most skaters find. last year my 101a bones elite were pretty good on the old floor. one of the few rinks with an open bar.
and clothing optional. most people respect the altitude and at 5kft you burn fast. so most keep very wellcovered.not sure how the wifi will be with 50,000 campers it is often a chore to log on, but I'll try and update this blog. between the beer and bacardi... back on subject .. To night was redwood's roller disco night. moderate crowd. maybe30-60 showed up. with the smaller floor it was about right. a few milpitas skaters showed up and it was a good time. jeanette had her birthday there and we had two cakes . very nice crowd. had a wednesday night milpitas feel good energy, a few kids, some mommys, and assorted levels of skating.
Old August 21st, 2011, 08:08 AM   #105
Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMA View Post
I basically stopped skating sessions for right now. I used to skate a lot of them because I was there. The session was after art practice, or speed practice and free. The new rink does not have practice before sessions, and the club dues does not cover sessions.

So basically I went to San Ramon Adult night once, but it conflicts with speed practice, so I will only go when there is no speed. The Monday night session w (retro night) conflicts with Dance practice; so only on nights when there is no practice. Or for that matter derby, which I would rather do then a session at this point.

Shame too San Ramon is 15 min. from my house but they do not want Art or Speed.

Dunno Redwood City has a session on Wed. nights after ice skating lessons but I have yet to get it together to make it there.

I miss everyone.

Soon though I need to break in my new Harlicks and then I will need a session or two.

Katy
san ramon is now Wednesday night for adult night, I was told. not sure when it changes but might work for you now Katy. the music at san jose is so unSkatable I'm thinking Friday nights in redwood might be better. rink of dreams... "if you play it they will come."today getting music is so easy, there is no excuse to not play skating music. goth girl at san jose played a song I hate you I hate you. ...didn't know weather to laugh or cry, so I sat down and took off my skates.
Old August 22nd, 2011, 06:41 PM   #106
Bill

sunday san Jose some of the old crew were going to skate. about a dozen skaters many cal skate milpitas regulars showed up. San Jose is clueless with the music. and running a session. mainly adults were skating and everyone left the floor when they called red light green light. sorry but no one wants to see a dozen adults in there fifties trying to get up off the floor when playing red light green light. music sucked, but at least this time the rink was not pitch black. they kept some of the floor lights on. durring session. stared with billy idol white wedding, house of pain jump around. average age here was fifity. oldest inthe sixties youngest 33. most used to old school R&B. so there were a dozen un happy skaters sitting around. however they were taking requests. a generic MJ request was answered with billy jean. followed by james browne. skaters were sweating now. then some more MJ an obscure prince song, then Dazzband joystick, then cameo's "Like candy"... I tipped the DJ$5 the night would had been a total loss with out requests. and they don't alway do requests.I'm hoping I found a new home but the music needsfixing badly. I was DJ there for a few years, andback in 98-2000 would bring my laptop and play mp3's. the rink operator saw what I was doing and became one of the first to install a computer in the dj booth.it's still there and connected with the network drive has 100+ gb of music files.some that I napstered many years ago.
Old August 23rd, 2011, 04:36 PM   #107
Holiday Guy
Doing It Old School

Default Skate Guards

Skate Guards I think they need to be more aware of the people I see dozen of posts about this and I agree with them 100%.
Old September 9th, 2011, 01:19 AM   #108
Bill

Default Brc burning man roller disco.2011

Once again the roller disco was at burningman.Black rock city pop, 50,00 is the 7thlargest city in nevada. it was adult night 247 for the week after labor day. the floor was new 200 sheets of toung and groove 4x8 sheets of OSB 1&1/4" thick. while not perfect it was very skatable did require some minor tweaking as the boards shifted under the continual push of the skaters. a single coat of roll on helped with grip. but was probably not needed.music was funk, retro R&B and some current pop.music. A great time was shared with all the camp and camp once again had prime location. with great views of the man the temple and a constant flow of yraffic passed by at all hours. this was my best burn ever. roller disco is always one of the top camps at burningman. this year the floor was 60x 140. the blackrock city rollergirls had a derby match thursday night. this year the event sold out at 50,000 antecedence. next year they are rumored to have asked for an additioal22,000 people on their land use permit. with another 22,000. I wonder if the roads and city can handle the numbers. for the local community. it presents an opportunity. to help support them through the year. one of the major employers had left the area, last year and the improvished indian reservation. had taco stands and bbq. stands along the 80mile desert road that leads to the event. the traffic is already epic. another 22,000 will be a big change. I'm confident the local community will step up and plan accordingly
Old September 12th, 2011, 11:55 PM   #109
Tuesday Girl

Rink was closed for two weeks to patch the floor, sand, and recoat. Finally, after much skate withdrawals, we skated Friday night on a nice tight shiny floor. It was very grippy. Turning with my partner, I caught my front wheels (they used to slide!) and the floor tripped me up. I went floundering to the floor, but only a tiny bruised knee and not even any skin was licked off. On to tomorrow night....Tuesday! Can't wait.
Old September 17th, 2011, 02:35 AM   #110
Bill

Wow tow week to work on the floor. hope it was worth it. the floors here get the over night treatment and close the next day. they just apply a fresh coat of roll-on.
Old September 17th, 2011, 12:38 PM   #111
KMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Wow tow week to work on the floor. hope it was worth it. the floors here get the over night treatment and close the next day. they just apply a fresh coat of roll-on.
Or like last year closed my favorite session for a month so they could re-carpet the rink. Looks loads better, but ...

Katy
KMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2011, 09:53 PM   #112
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMA View Post
Or like last year closed my favorite session for a month so they could re-carpet the rink. Looks loads better, but ...

Katy
Fountain Valley usually closed for one day to get the floor re-done. This time they were closed for 5 days, but other construction was being done. The other construction is still not finished, though the floor got redone. Moonlight got carpet and significant TILE WORK in a remodel OVERNIGHT!!! I wonder who THAT contractor was.
Old September 20th, 2011, 11:08 PM   #113
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Skateland (Haverhill, MA), Roll On Renovations

Hi Rufus, Tuesday,

Every year around August without fail Skateland redoes their wood floor and does it quite well. Marc is the business owner.

Tuesday: One year he left the A/C on as the floor cured and we didn't have any of that sticky feeling until he turned the A/C off. Yet mostly we go through that cycle of a great floor and a floor that is sticky, depending on outside humidity, until winter sets in and humidity is gone as a problem.

Rufus: Usually whatever he does, including big changes, he contains to a few days and keeps his Friday and Saturday evening large sessions going. He has moved walls, changed the size of the floor, installed a gaming area, you name it.

Another rink I frequent RollOnAmerica is about the same for speedy renovations.

Old September 23rd, 2011, 03:44 AM   #114
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Thursday 22Sep2011 Skateland Adult Skate

Hi All,

Well I finally got there again. I have been afraid that seasonal road work on MA I-495 would once again make the journey home 90 to 120 minutes rather than 55 or so.

Ben: At the start of the session the fire/ambulance crew was already coming in to offer aid. Ben a young great skater that does an awesome coffin (shoot the turkey) had his knee lock up and they took him to the hospital. It was a bit odd for most of us regulars yet Marc (the business owner) has a great relationship with these support groups. I hope Ben is OK

Kenny: I finally got to see Ken and ask him about his HUGE goose egg just below his knee a few weeks ago from a hard stop on his knee. I thought it was serious yet he said he iced it, and it went down. Well I think he will have this again. He is currently skating with a knee brace and I know he has a bursa problem like me.

Medical Examiner: Well our gal Medical Examiner says that just maybe, just maybe, the gal on rizzoli and isles (http://www.tnt.tv/series/rizzoliandisles/ is patterned after her. I mean our gal is quirky and fast. I can't say more.

A few gals, maybe Derby, were doing side surfing and I had to enter into the game.

Lots of Other stuff going on, great people interactions, and hard skating. I just wish my knee was all better so I could chase at speed.

Old December 19th, 2011, 04:25 AM   #115
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default RollerKingdom Tyngsboro, MA 18Dec2011

Hey ALL

I finally got there again this Sunday from 7:30 to 10:30.

Some of my guy skating friends have told me about this Adult Session so I decided to take the hike rather than the place closer to me for the afternoon session.

I hate to say it, yet the best part was getting to it, and the getting back on windy Massachusetts small community roads on a dark night. The Xmas Lights were neat. I guess these are GOD non believers that just like lights.

The last time I went there, they had just closed down the Adult Session because they wanted 75 plus skaters for profitability. Now they have far less than 75 and still TOO much staff on board (5-6). This place used to be popping per the locals at 150+ even with a floor that needed improvement.

It was nice and met some current and haven't seen in awhile skaters. One older lady was doing 'shoot the duck' and made me in waiting for my knee to be all better so I could go down with her forwards and backwards. Dang I hate that.

The floor was nice looking yet a bit too slick. Ernie, a better skater and a bit older than me, showed me that they had left a fine dust on the floor that was causing all of us to slip. Too bad since without that dust it would have been even more fun and we could really move.

Anyway I guess after 2012 I have to research my song request list since I wanted them to play some other stuff. I just hope the slick floor can be fixed or I need to get gripper wheels. Fix the dust on the floor is my first option.

A few Derby gals from the NH team were also at this skate. One quite good and one also good yet still Fresh Meat getting the hang of the Derby get down position. Well I and one of the local to Tyngsboro good skating gals(21), I have known for 5 plus years, was playing Derby moves just a smidgen with the Fresh Meat gal. I tried to do a plow stop slow down move in front of this gal and due to the slippery floor my feet went out and down I went. I guess it could have looked comical.

I also got the one 21 yr old gal to do some Side Surfing with me. She is pretty good yet with back to the center.

http://rollerkingdom.drupalgardens.com/%3Cfront%3E

Edit-01: Forgot to add a few things which I added just above my YiSkating

Last edited by MANY_SkatingDave; December 20th, 2011 at 02:13 AM. Reason: A Derby Fall, Side Surfing
MANY_SkatingDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2011, 07:02 PM   #116
Bill

Thursday night in san Jose has been solved. not perfect but much better music. very skateable. I started as programer for that session. and have been playing old school and some new R&B. As A skater I skated at cal skate Milpitas for twenty years. anf the session I've been programing has been programed accordingly. a few orphaned Calskate skaters that randomly dropped were excited to find a skateable session. that was an easy drive. been using the files on the rink's drive as that is easy. , but one version of atomic dog was dropping the F bomb every other word. the beat was ok but that was uncalled for. I brought my lap top for the session. trying to play old school and pop as that's what the crowd expects. And what I know. the slow, 2 connected to a set of fast songs . works. getting easier as I know the saters that show up. and what they like. the skters that drop in are staying longer and making. audiio and lighting requests. I'm just a vollenteer, so trying to keep this fun for me. so far it has been. also get in most sessions free as a perk. marketing has been limited to word of mouth and face book. not trying to make it a huge session just a steady . session and trying not to loose skaters. Cal Skate was the hub in the area for almost fourty years. when it closed skaters scattered. most went to a rink 50 miles away . as that rink played the right music, infact they hired the old cal skate deejays. and bought all the music. starting to get skaters that skated different sessions at cal skate I never knew showing up. Cal skate played the same music format for most sessions. so you were guranteed a experience. some nigts they played more new music, some only old school. but pretty much R&B. 80-120 beats per second. been doing some old pop , madonna as most recognize and respond to her music.of course can't find enough Michael Jackson. very good for almost every crowd.
Bill
Old December 20th, 2011, 04:40 PM   #117
pjmariner
Thinkin' of a master plan

Default May get up there again some Sunday

Quote:
Originally Posted by MANY_SkatingDave View Post
Hey ALL

I finally got there again this Sunday from 7:30 to 10:30.
I have been going to Chez Vous because it is much closer to me, and the hours are latter and easier for me to accomadate, but I have wanted to check out the new floor in Tyngsboro. Keep my posted how it goes up there as far as turn out/music/cleaning the floor, it is about 1 hour drive for me, so I want to be sure it's worth it
Old December 20th, 2011, 09:21 PM   #118
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default SanJose / Tyngsboro

Hey Bill,

I do love reading your adventure. You ought to think about burning at least one CD SO YOU too get time to skate. Also take a look at the long list of songs under Session in the big tread and then a few smaller ones. We have had several DJ's over the years post long lists.

One thing that PJ and I have learned at Skateland with an owner and a longer time as A DJ is that it often is great to mix things up and play songs with the same beat yet not the same songs. I have no idea how he figures his mix each week.

Maybe he plays 3 to 5 of the same songs each week. I know one of them is a killer long hard skate that lasted for maybe 5 minutes.

Also Not sure yet I think there is a service for skate rinks that sell CD's for various type sessions. I know for sure they make children appropriate music.

Hey Matt, Will do.
They are closed for the next two weeks so don't head on up. Ernie drives about :70 minutes and I drive about :50. George another guy you know lives next door. Another guy skates with us at Skateland and is good yet don't know his name. Ernie asks about Chez Vous cause it is closer yet seems to like this place better. Probably cause he likes his spins in the middle which are a bit harder to do at Chez Vous, yet maybe he doesn't like those polls. Each of us didn't like the floor dust and we talked about it. All they needed was a mop before the session.

Edit-01 Bill here is one section from that long tread. I often wondered how to reorganize this stuff since it was done so well by so many. Anyway one post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchoolRinkRat View Post
Bell Biv DeVoe: Poison
http://youtube.com/watch?v=TdF2zqs1bxQ o - o - o -

I think this is enough for now... Sorry for the Huge-Long Post!

Wait... 1 more!

Heatwave: Boogie Nights!
http://youtube.com/watch?v=jOe2H3tRjjM

Last edited by MANY_SkatingDave; December 20th, 2011 at 09:59 PM. Reason: For SanJose Bill (Milipitas)
MANY_SkatingDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2011, 07:43 PM   #119
Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by MANY_SkatingDave View Post
Hey Bill,

I do love reading your adventure. You ought to think about burning at least one CD SO YOU too get time to skate. Also take a look at the long list of songs under Session in the big tread and then a few smaller ones. We have had several DJ's over the years post long lists.

One thing that PJ and I have learned at Skateland with an owner and a longer time as A DJ is that it often is great to mix things up and play songs with the same beat yet not the same songs. I have no idea how he figures his mix each week.

Maybe he plays 3 to 5 of the same songs each week. I know one of them is a killer long hard skate that lasted for maybe 5 minutes.

Also Not sure yet I think there is a service for skate rinks that sell CD's for various type sessions. I know for sure they make children appropriate music.

Hey Matt, Will do.
They are closed for the next two weeks so don't head on up. Ernie drives about :70 minutes and I drive about :50. George another guy you know lives next door. Another guy skates with us at Skateland and is good yet don't know his name. Ernie asks about Chez Vous cause it is closer yet seems to like this place better. Probably cause he likes his spins in the middle which are a bit harder to do at Chez Vous, yet maybe he doesn't like those polls. Each of us didn't like the floor dust and we talked about it. All they needed was a mop before the session.

Edit-01 Bill here is one section from that long tread. I often wondered how to reorganize this stuff since it was done so well by so many. Anyway one post
rink manager is very restrictive about the music played. perfers heavymetal and punk to R&B. I started programing so wouldn't have to listen to slayer or the sexpistols . rock can work for speed practice or dreby perhaps but sessions , pop and R&B are what most want. I will keep trying. but tough to program with a limited music selection. the owner is absent and left the rink to be run by a manager. who has limited rink experience. he manages the workers well, but not really not interested in the rink.or increasing bussiness. strange situation.
Old December 24th, 2011, 03:08 AM   #120
Holiday Guy
Doing It Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
rink manager is very restrictive about the music played. perfers heavymetal and punk to R&B. I started programing so wouldn't have to listen to slayer or the sexpistols . rock can work for speed practice or dreby perhaps but sessions , pop and R&B are what most want. I will keep trying. but tough to program with a limited music selection. the owner is absent and left the rink to be run by a manager. who has limited rink experience. he manages the workers well, but not really not interested in the rink.or increasing bussiness. strange situation.
Try to get a organ session at your rink a lot of rinks in my area is starting to have these sessions they seem to do very well with shuffle and dance skating they can be a lot of fun.