S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum Discussions about roller dancing, jamskating, rexing, rink session skating, dance circle skating, and similar types of recreational indoor and outdoor skate dancing .

Old May 10th, 2011, 10:12 AM   #61
BlackLace
Beautiful Snowflake

It's actually better than two wheels. At certain angles, only *one* of the middle wheels touches the ground. Of course add some weight, wheel deformation will make the other(s) either side of it touch the ground, but not with enough weight on them to make them at all hard to scrub around.
BlackLace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2011, 02:03 AM   #62
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Wednesday 11May2011

Hi Tuesday, Katy(KMA), , ,

Well we had the bad and the great.

The Great was: My two World Champions pair with a ton of kids had them skating on the floor in the middle and taking pictures. They have cute kids two girls for him two guys for her. Kids are fun. She had them spinning and jumping which are early skate moves.

The Bad was: Two older good artistic skaters just are not connecting. He came early tonight and was done skating by the time she came. I mean they both are good yet just don't connect.

Other than that I missed a few of the newer session gals that can skate well, yet that is common for my experience to have comes and gones. I did chase a really good young derby gal off and then on and was glad my knee was holding out. She is and was good as usual. I also talked to a long time friend Derby gal who has come a long way and was a Jammer on A Mothers Day Derby. Dang I didn't know it was happening.

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave
Old May 13th, 2011, 03:55 PM   #63
Tuesday Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufusprime99 View Post
I have had to take it easy skating for going on 3 months. Knee hurting, ankle hurting, other knee hurting, ankle hurting, etc, etc. Well, I take that back. I did have one pretty decent night. The mega rum and coke night. Nothing hurt that night, though it was a little harder to stay on my skates. That reminds me, need more rum.
Once when I did a 90 mile bike ride we had a nurse along and she suggested we take both Tylenol and Ibuprofen if we started aching. Tylenol for the pain, Ibuprofen for the swelling. Have you tried taking anything for skating just so you can enjoy the night better? I'm not a pill taker, but I think if the pain was bothering my skating that much, I might start.

My ankle and hamstring where it connects to the glute was bugging me for about a month, but I think they are better now. Not completely unnoticeable, but I started easing up on those two areas in some of my work-outs at the gym to let them heal and I think they are better.

Good luck with all that. Stuff hurting is the pits.
Old May 14th, 2011, 09:17 PM   #64
7Skaters

AWESOME session today.

Only TWO *serious* attempts with the newest skates and I've got 'em dialed in JUST how I like 'em...at last for the moment. I thought I was doing good last time we were out but...man, what a difference half a turn makes! *I* was in control this session...not my skates! LOL

*bounces*

Sorry...happy about that.

Music this morning was kind of...all over the map. Kiddie songs in the beginning, quite a few adults so some good shuffle songs in the middle...but birthday parties...well...UGH!

A LOT of the birthday parties were comprised of African Americans so they got a bit heavy on the rap later on. WHY do they generalize like that???? Just because you're from a certain ethnic background, you don't automatically like a particular kind of music!

Once again, we had to ask, "How do you know they won't like it if you don't play it?" I don't think ANYONE is asking for them to play a certain type of music the ENTIRE session...but mixing it up is never a bad thing. Yes, keep the little girls happy with a Justin Beiber...Bee...ohhhh however it's spelled...song, but there's nothing wrong with adding in Gap Band, maybe even a country song...whatever, as long as it's skatable, I don't care who sings it! I know a lot are sick of Miley Cyrus at their rink...but she actually does have a couple songs that you could skate to....the problem is, they never play the ones by her that ARE skatable.

Anyway...new one for our rink. Lady in wheelchair. They actually did let her come out on the rink. She was getting around fine on her own on the sidelines, but someone was pushing her. I...kinda like my rink more now. I've heard of rinks where they don't allow wheelchairs and I think that's pathetic, honestly. Even a child can work a wheelchair, they just might not go very fast, but I, personally, don't see it as an obstruction. They kept close to the walls (family session, no "fast skates" to worry about) and in control. I know that's been a topic of debate around here. A stroller however, IS dangerous to me. I mean...someone in a wheelchair isn't likely to hit the rink the day they get their chair. While mothers have been pushing strollers for ages, it's different. You fall while pushing a stroller, you're either going to grasp at the nearest thing (the stroller!) to keep your balance...hence possibly tipping the stroller over - forward or backwards - which could do a lot of harm to a child...and the smaller the child is, the worse the possible result. Option B - you feel yourself fall and "push' the stroller out of the way so you DON'T tip it...and suddenly there's an out of control stroller zipping around the rink and the kid can't control it or slow it down themselves...and again, the younger the child, the more harm that could do. Er....sorry...*end rant* I just had to applauded my rink for letting the woman in the wheelchair come out to join in the fun.

Also found out...I LOVE MY ZEBRAS! Threatening rain all day today, hot, muggy, humidity was up, and my wheels had all the grip I needed! I was flyin' around that rink once I made that final adjustment on my skates and couldn't be happier. The Zebra's (and the adjustment) helped me push myself more today than I have in the entire time since I came back to skating 5 years ago. I feel I can finally say...I'M BACK!!! THIS is the type of skating I know and love. Still working on flexibility issues (I've always had them) but I did actually skate on one foot for a while and I have NO balance so that was major for me to be able to do. The wheels & reaction were the perfect combination to give me the confidence I needed to try to do a little more than just go round and round.

Now...the down side...

BLISTER!!!!!!!! OW OW OW OW OW OW OW OW! Ball of right foot. But I've always had a callous there, when irritated, it "flares up" into a blister...even if I'm just walking too much, not just skating!

My poor little toe. Left big toe broken about 5 weeks ago now...was still swollen and bruised...took my skate off and I could tell even through my sock, the toe had swollen more while I was skating.

On the other - GOOD - hand...

My back feels 1,000,000,000,000 times better!!!!! Don't know what it is about skating, but something "clicks" and it's been helping this horrible back ache I've had for the last 12 1/2 years (I still think the stupid doc botched my epidural when I had my second child, hence why I never had one again)...but sitting here typing doesn't hurt...walking around the store after skating, no bask issues...sitting on the couch, no problems. How do *I* spell relief? S-K-A-T-I-N-G! LOL

*bounces off to try to do something useful*
7Skaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2011, 03:10 AM   #65
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuesday Girl View Post
Once when I did a 90 mile bike ride we had a nurse along and she suggested we take both Tylenol and Ibuprofen if we started aching. Tylenol for the pain, Ibuprofen for the swelling. Have you tried taking anything for skating just so you can enjoy the night better? I'm not a pill taker, but I think if the pain was bothering my skating that much, I might start.

My ankle and hamstring where it connects to the glute was bugging me for about a month, but I think they are better now. Not completely unnoticeable, but I started easing up on those two areas in some of my work-outs at the gym to let them heal and I think they are better.

Good luck with all that. Stuff hurting is the pits.
I used to take 3 or 4 Ibuprofen before volleyball 20 years ago. I really had pain then compared to now. Now I have aches and pains, but I usually like to keep a close tab on them so they don't get too bad. The rum was just a fun'r pain killer. I am not supposed to take aspirin or ibuprofen because I am on blood thinners. I have always had a mental block against tylenol though. Sometimes my pain is injury, other times arthritis. I keep saying I need to get some marijuana cookies. No blood thinner interaction.
Old May 17th, 2011, 09:36 AM   #66
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Default Suckage at Moonlight

Normally Moonlight Rollerway is a pretty strict rink. No wrapped clothes, NO HATS (lol. They really hate em'. If they had half a brain they would not let people IN with them. But NOOOOO. They let them in, then blast the unsuspecting guilty party with the pa, to the point at times of stopping the music, to get the hat off ), no gum, NO CAMERAS OR PHONES ON THE FLOOR, and boy, do they enjoy harassing people over the pa about it all. No problems. I am nothing if not flexible. I roll with it. Fountain Valley is very different. The cool kids get to run amuck so long as the newbies and visitors are not impacted, and when I am there I roll with that.

So anyway, Moonlight has stacked parking and sometimes the call goes out, will the driver of such and such car please move it so the person in front of you can leave. So I get the call right in the middle of the fast backward skate. I blow it off until the song is almost done then skate off the floor, skate out the door, side step down the stairs, get to my car, take off my skates and move my car. I re-park put skates back on and re-enter the building. I did not need to be buzzed in as someone was leaving right as I was on the landing. So I skate into the building and little miss Betty (I think that is what they said her name is) comes running behind the counter saying hey, you can't do that. Huh? Do what? You can't skate into the building. Really? Why not? I just skated OUT to let someone leave. Well you can't do that. Do what? Skate out to move your car. (Duh! I am already coming back IN. If you wanted to stop me going out you missed out.) I tell her it is too late to bother me about going out as I was already COMING BACK FREAKIN' IN! Well, I don't have to let you back in. Really? I went out in the first place at YOUR FREAKING REQUEST. (I exercised my vocal cords pretty good on that statement, and I did not say freakin') We go a few more rounds, I exercise my vocal cords real nice, and then she throws in the towel.

Now, since I now have a very sweet VW Golf TDI and get 50 mpg hwy, and not my old gas guzzler, I can afford to go to any rink near or far, read far, that I want. So I think I will put Moonlight on a shelf for a couple of months. The normal Monday manager does not have cranial rectal displacement disorder, but is recovering from a knee operation. I did hear from several other skaters telling what a cast iron female dog the replacement manager is. I think the staff got word that I might be trouble. One younger floor guard was eyeballing me. (only been there a few weeks) The old guy, the dj that night did not give me the slightest look. While I do not know the dj, he has seen me many times at close range making a sweet DA45 move that saved a crash when some noob made a mistake. Not to mention I have never caused a problem. Nice of him to show me some respect. On hearing what a biatch miss replacement manager is, I can at least enjoy the fact that I sent her to her office tail tucked. One skill I inherited from my dear mother was a talent for tearing rectal orifices. (gotta enjoy the little victories in life )

So, I hereby nominate lil' miss Betty, the replacement manger, as DB rink manager of the week. I bet she is on pins and needles wondering if she will win the prize.
Old May 17th, 2011, 03:23 PM   #67
KMA

One of my friends was banned for two weeks last night. This is during a speed skate he mentioned to another skater who was doing artistic (Not me) that he was trying to do a track pattern. Words were exchanged on both parts, and he was kicked out, then banned.

She is a good skater, but a speed skate is for fast, not turning jumpy things.

While, I do practice all my skating genres at this rink, I am careful about others and sharing the floor, she was not.

Katy
KMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2011, 05:33 PM   #68
Skatervideoguy

Hi KMA,

Quote:
One of my friends was banned for two weeks last night. This is during a speed skate he mentioned to another skater who was doing artistic (Not me) that he was trying to do a track pattern. Words were exchanged on both parts, and he was kicked out, then banned.

She is a good skater, but a speed skate is for fast, not turning jumpy things.
Was it an actual Speed Skate Special ???? Is the Floor Center not clearly demarcated, as in either a painted or taped Oval ??

Was the "Artistic Skater" not staying within the Floor Center, whilest the others were doing the Speed Skating ??

How did it even get to Management for anyone to be kicked out ???

Makes no sense, unless they got to threatening each other - and your friend became the most verbally aggressive.

Seems like the Floor Guard, and/or the DJ, failed to do their jobs, as in corralling the Artistic Skater before she became an interferrence - assuming your Rink has proper Floor Rules about such things.

Like you "I do practice all my skating genres at this rink, I am careful about others and sharing the floor", as I have no interest in bugging others or having collisions.

I always do my FreeStyle Spinning and Jumping within the Floor Center, makes no sense to do otherwise - unless I have a clear Floor.

Harold
Old May 18th, 2011, 05:33 AM   #69
KMA

Yes it was a speed skate special. The floor guard should have asked her to be in the middle.

I am very careful when I do anything that is not regular skating. So any art, freestyle or speed is well thought out.

She complained to the management. He used some words on the floor that he should not have, but so did she. I think it is a little bit of he is a man, and (twisted logic being applied) therefore dangerous.

Katy
Old May 18th, 2011, 05:39 AM   #70
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

It seems a lot of things just don't get announced. Those who know the rules know them, those who don't don't and the rinks aren't educating anyone. Odd. The only way noobs find out is when vets tell them.
Old May 18th, 2011, 05:46 AM   #71
7Skaters

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufusprime99 View Post
The only way noobs find out is when vets tell them.
And then, because you're not behind a counter or when they realize you don't have an official "uniform" on, they go cry to management...or want to start a fight.

Either way, ya can't win. *sigh*
Old May 18th, 2011, 01:03 PM   #72
KMA

And sadly it was her first and probably last time at that rink. She said as much. Too bad because she is a good skater, and I would have liked to talk to her. At the time I did not dare because I had my speed skates on, and figured the conversation would not go well.

Katy
Old May 18th, 2011, 09:08 PM   #73
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMA View Post
And sadly it was her first and probably last time at that rink. She said as much. Too bad because she is a good skater, and I would have liked to talk to her. At the time I did not dare because I had my speed skates on, and figured the conversation would not go well.

Katy
LOL. And who says that there is no DRAMA in skating?
Old May 19th, 2011, 07:44 AM   #74
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Default Fun night at Holiday

This is the 3rd or 4th Wednesday night I have gone to Holiday in Orange. Only $6.50! Since I am mad at Moonlight, I guess my skating days will change from Sun, Mon, Thurs, to Sun, Wed, Thurs. It was lively tonight. 3 groups of ladies night outers plus the regulars. There were so many people, relatively speaking, that we played the plate game. Pretty much like musical chairs, but with paper plates in the infield. When the music stopps, step on, sit on, or dive for a paper plate. Some of the visiting ladies, decent rec skaters, got pretty darn competitive! We would skate around threatening each other by saying, don't you eye THAT plate. It's MINE. I even got caught up in it. On overshooting a certain plate, I did a few squat and lunges for my plate. IN NEW SCUFFLESS WHITE BONTS!!! For nothing more than the possibility of a free drink. I just missed the final round. Was too far out of position when the music stopped. Good silly fun.

Figure 8 advanced backward skate was fun too. Got some good crossing patterns. Nothing too crazy, but fun.

Last edited by rufusprime99; May 19th, 2011 at 08:51 AM.
rufusprime99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2011, 03:49 PM   #75
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Wednesday 18May2011 RollOnAmerica

Hi All, Tuesday, Katy, Rufus, Harold,

Well Derby is starting to heat up so I had a few more than normal show up earlier than practice. This one young gal is pretty strong already and is coming along good for her start of Fresh Meat in June.

I remember the one gal on here (maybe from Australia (AU) or NZealand) saying she was being badgered about being too thin for derby. Well our giraffe or is that our multiple giraffe's are still skating.

My one young new guy (black in case you want to know) was there and he and the buds he brings are coming along just swell. Gosh he used to fall a lot yet now he can upper body rap move on songs and loves pushing out one foot and then another to lose and then regain balance. He is fun and still says 'Hey you are showing me up'. His bud watched me doing sideways skates and started practicing it all night and I gave him pointers on and off skates along the way. He made sideways for about 2 seconds a few times. Hey my knee is holding out so I could hold it long and side surf a smidgen.

My art people (prior to session skating) told me about an upcoming show on June 19 and told me they use Bones Elite 101A as their wheel of choice. Bones Swiss Bearing too. They are so much fun and quite talented.

One gal 23 (formerly an Art gal) is now bringing both of her old boy friends to skate and they all are having a great time chatting like mad and skating. The new guy, her old boyfriend back 2) says I am Mr Miyagi (you know from Karate Kid). I still have to figure how I am going to work that angle with him.

Old May 20th, 2011, 05:04 AM   #76
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Thursday 19May2011 Skateland

Hi Katy, Tuesday, RufusPrime99, pjmariner, , ,

Tonight was FUN. I mean if I could get all the good regulars over the years to come on one night it would be better, yet this was still good with a lot of new faces that could skate. I even saw some mating going on.

One return gal had to stop me to remember her. She had a rear ending car accident that was hard on her back, and other stuff that kept her from skating. She has also put on some weight she wants to shed again with skating. Two of us guys told her how we too can put on weight fast when not skating.

The younger people a few gals and several guys were doing jam and other moves in the center for quite some spell. It is fun to see more than two in the middle. Still wish that high school sports coach from Salem, NH would come on back since he is "mean" in the middle. Ben seemed to be working on some new moves that reminded me of JamSkateAddictions videos with turned inward skates with wheels endways on the floor.

The chain skate gang was good. PJMariner even led at least one of them and even Guns840 (Tim) joined in. One skate buddy named Ernie (Cloviek) came and joined in yet had to scissors at the corners to slow down till speed picked back up. Lately I only see Ernie every 6 to 9 months. One guy in the gang skate every so often hooted out a call like a Fog Horn

Ernie did some fast spins in the middle yet I don't remember Jimmy doing his usual high quantity toe spins or his sit spin.

One gal I don't remember ever seeing before was able to do backwards to the center sideways surfing really well. I did a bit yet not up to my par. We actually had a few side surfers in the group yet we were all interested in other stuff.

Anyway great night

Old May 20th, 2011, 02:05 PM   #77
mudfly
Wife thinks I'm Bowling

Last night was my first time on quads or skating in a rink in over 15 years. Went to Guptil's in Latham NY, Big rink with nearly all adults on a Thursday night. Unfortunately I don't think the floor has been refinished since I skated there 15 years ago, it was rough and dirty. That along with the stock crappy wheels on my skates made the floor feel really slick.

I took it easy and stayed out of the way of the faster traffic. About an hour into the session my feet started remembering how to skate and I became less of a rolling road block. I still had to waddle through the turns, my skates were sliding too much for me to feel confident enough to crossover. A couple of regulars suggested I switch to softer 91a wheels.

Music was for 2 generations younger than most everyone who was there. Many skaters were plugged into Ipods

I had a great time and it was a good workout. I ordered new wheels and bearings this morning. I'll be back there next week!

Rick
mudfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2011, 09:12 PM   #78
7Skaters

What wheels did'ja get??
Old May 21st, 2011, 03:27 AM   #79
mudfly
Wife thinks I'm Bowling

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Skaters View Post
What wheels did'ja get??
One of the regulars who is about my age and size talked up the narrow (38mm) Radars used in roller derby. I searched around this morning and found some Radar blems in 88a and 92a. I bought both sets for $80 plus 2 sets of china red bearings. The 88's should work ok for the outdoor hockey rink down the street from me, with the 92's for the indoor rink. That should be enough wheels to get me through the re-learning phase until I can determine what will work for me.

Last edited by mudfly; May 21st, 2011 at 06:28 AM.
mudfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2011, 08:49 PM   #80
7Skaters

Default I did it! I did it!

I DID IT!!!!!!!

Rarely more than 20 people on the floor, new skates, NO BALANCE....and I was skating on one foot!!!! (Check out my "EEP! PURPLE! My New Ride" thread in the quad forum for more on the skates themselves and on my one-footed skating)

The rink today....crappy music MOST of the session. So help me I hear ONE more Beiber song and I'm gonna have to hurt someone. TWO little girls, maybe 3, other than my own...couple birthday parties, 99% boys...and that's almost all they played. I know (most) little girls like Justin (not mine, they're too smart for that, thankfully)...but I didn't think BOYS liked him. Most of my girls' requests went unplayed, as usual. *sigh*

For the crowd - 20 people on the rink at a time the entire session - it was a good mix of age groups, though. I think at one point, the adults even outnumbered the kids! Sucks for the rink...but it was awesome for us! Got to experiment a little more, no one ever really got in the way, though some of the boys did like going in the wrong direction/darting in front of people. But with it so dead, it wasn't as bad as it could have been.

The worst part of the session...one idiot was actually ENCOURAGING his daughter to play in the stupid spotlights! Guess he figured - wearing ALL BLACK - he would be easier to spot so we wouldn't run over his kid? again. Yeah, let's all wear all black and stand in the middle of the main drag while the lights are dim. OY! What the heck was he thinking? I was *thisclose* to just going flat out and running him over. Seriously wanted to.

The music, I'm getting used to it being so hit or miss (mostly miss), but that moron really deserves a prize for his stupidity.

Overall, it was a pretty good session, though.