S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum > Quad Speed
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Speed Discussions about speed skating in quad roller skates.

Old March 5th, 2015, 12:46 AM   #1
dubstylist
DETROIT SPRING 2017!

Default Found boots! Need plate and wheel recommendations.

I found a pair of older blue 911's for $325.

Now I need plate and wheel recommendations.

Haven't skated quad in many years. Mostly doing it for fun but now that I'm a grownup I can spend a bit more money on stuff.

I like the look of aluminum plates but am intrigued by Laser. I'm looking to spend $200-$300.

My old skates had some crappy plate on them so I dont know much about these things.

I had green Hyper Cannibal wheels back in the day. Looking for wheels, too.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Jenn
dubstylist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2015, 02:19 AM   #2
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

I love my arius plate. I do just fine hanging with speed inline skaters on it. I got a size 12 plate on a size 10 vanilla freestyle.
Old March 5th, 2015, 02:45 AM   #3
WJCIV

What rink do you skate? I know most of the Wolverines (Detroit's speed team) have moved to inlines, but the coaches have been around long enough to know something about quads or know people who do. Wheels are dependent upon skating surface too, so local feedback on that would be best. Although if you do happen to go to a particular rink up there I can tell you that hard wheels will work just fine because they coat the floor 3-4 times a year, so it is always sticky.

Also, no quad skater is keeping up with inline speed skaters of the same caliber. I can pull away from the kids I coach easily while they are on inlines and I am quads. They're relatively competitive in the novice age divisions regionally (aged 11-14). Put me up against my actual competition and I lose about a second a lap on a good day.

I love the phrase "I quit". It beats more of my opponents than I do.
WJCIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2015, 03:57 PM   #4
Fancy-Kerrigan

You will probably want to go with a light plate, especially if you will be speed skating with them at all.
Keeping in mind that the plate the most important decision you can make. It is the suspension of your skate much like the suspension of a car. If you have a sports car body on the suspension of a minivan....it will still corner like jello even though it looks like a sports car. If you want a sports car (skate), don't buy a minivan suspension. What that sports car (skate) suspension looks like differs from person to person.
I love my Prolines. I love them so much I now have 2 sets. Stability at speed, tough as nails, reliable, light, set it and forget it.....perfect. For me they are perfect. They are 6.5 with green cushions paired with a Bont size 9.

As far as wheels - duro depends on what you skate on and how much slip and grip you want. Width depends on personal preference and comfort level. I would however have to highly recomend going with a metal hub wheel, much less mush in the corners. I believe aluminum hubbed wheels to be far superior to a non-metal hubbed wheel.
Fancy-Kerrigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2015, 08:54 PM   #5
matguy

Keep in mind that if you like a stiff suspension a Laser can't be torqued down very tight. (At least on the ones I had) The threads the king-pin screws in to are just the nylon, so they can jump threads. I've heard of people putting in steel threads (which I would expect would require a smaller thread king pin, otherwise you're losing a lot of the material around the threads, which makes up the base of the plate... but, I just shrugged at the guy that suggested it and let it go), but I wouldn't.

I know, I know, leave your suspension loose... It's just info for people that are expecting certain things.
matguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2015, 02:25 PM   #6
groldan

Hello,

I always skate outdoors, for training and Skate Marathons. I use a Sure-Grip Avenger Mag plates, and I'm very happy with them. I can mount wheels like the Kryptonics Classic K 85mm or the FlyWheels 90mm, and both of them works very good for skating ourdoors. My boot is a Bont Hybrid Carbon.

One friend, requested an Arius plate, and he is also very happy with them: the Arius work very well and is very light. He is currently mounting a set of Kryptonics Classic K 76mm wheels, and the Riedell 265 boot. We plan to test the Arius with 80mm wheels, to make sure if we could mount them for the next Skate Marathons.

Both plates are good choices. You can skate at 50kmh without any problem in downhills. Even faster in bigger downhills.

Regards and enjoy your new skates !
Guille
groldan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2015, 07:44 PM   #7
Armadillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by matguy View Post
Keep in mind that if you like a stiff suspension a Laser can't be torqued down very tight. (At least on the ones I had) The threads the king-pin screws in to are just the nylon, so they can jump threads. I've heard of people putting in steel threads (which I would expect would require a smaller thread king pin, otherwise you're losing a lot of the material around the threads, which makes up the base of the plate... but, I just shrugged at the guy that suggested it and let it go), but I wouldn't.

I know, I know, leave your suspension loose... It's just info for people that are expecting certain things.
Torquing down your suspension is not really the best way to accomplish action setup firmness. Firmer cushions is what give the best results for having a firmer action setup. Once your action nut takes up all the truck's looseness wiggle, you only want to go about a turn further.

Laser plates, despite their being nylon, are simply way too heavy. Their narrowness also means that when mounting on leather soles the boot still rocks laterally on the plate too much, even with the too-thin sole and heel platforms screwed to the sole. Their use of heavy (1/4") elevator bolts going through the centerline of the plate for mounting is extremely ineffective for establishing lateral flex rigidity between them.

The 45 degree steeper action plates, like Avenger and Arius, are less stable than the 0-15 degree steep kingpin (shallower action) plates like PowerTrac, Boen, ProLine etc. Stability is an important feature to have in a speed skate when taking turns at the highest possible speeds.

-Armadillo

Last edited by Armadillo; July 17th, 2015 at 12:34 AM.
Armadillo is offline   Reply With Quote