S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Fitness Skating and Training Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Skating and Training Forum Discussions about on-skate and off-skate training, hydration, sports nutrition, weight loss, injuries, sports medicine, and other topics related to training and physical fitness for skaters.

Old April 8th, 2012, 05:05 PM   #1
K2Sk8er
Professional Bike Chaser

Default The week before an event - training?

Hey all, just wanted some advice on what I should be doing a week prior to a skating event. I'll be doing Texas Road Rash in 2 weeks so want to make sure I optimize that final week prior to the race. (I'll be skating this one at the pro master women's division - this is overly ambitious on my part so now I need to make sure I at least show up and not embarrass myself!!)

My current workout routine goes like this: Mon/Wed/Fri I do 30 min cardio for a warm up (usually running, elliptical or stationary bike) followed by 30 mins of weight training. (Chest/Shoulders, Back/Biceps & legs.) I am skating 3x per week (weather permitting) on the weeknights I do 10-20 miles of interval skating. On the weekend I do a 26-32 mile distance skate; focusing more on form and endurance rather than speed, and I'm back up to skating these distance skates comfortably. I have one 'rest' day per week, and every fourth week I take a recovery week, focusing on cardio and core work. I have nutrition down pretty well - I feel good and have enough energy to support my workouts and I'm finally starting to lean down and tone up.

I'm just coming off of a recovery week and set to start a 3 week weight phase. I'm wondering if the week before road rash I should back off of weights and do more cardio? Try to skate more? Should I take a couple of days off and do nothing at all? (Hard for me by the way; even on my rest day I usually do something light, like yoga or swimming.) I'm also wondering if there is anything I should tweak on my nutrition? (I do higher protein/lower carbs - I'm at about 45% protein 25% carb - lots of vegetables, lower servings of dairy & fruit.)

Last year I took it really easy the week before but it was my first year participating in the events and I wasn't competing at the level that I intend to this year. I just want to make sure I do everything I can to prepare myself to skate as well as possible.

Thanks for any input/advice.
- Christine
K2Sk8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2012, 02:59 PM   #2
speedysktr
President of Everything

Christine,
With your race so early in the season and with a race of this duration, I don't know that I would really make much change to your training. I would definitely avoid any weight work with your legs and substitute some yoga only if you do it fairly regularly. You definitely don't want to change things too much or throw any wild cards into the mix. I would keep your effort level relatively the same, but go a 15-20% less in your distances. Whatever day your last skate is, I would chill on the effort level and maybe pick up the tempo a couple times in the middle. If you can, this coming weekend, I'd shorten the distance to 22-25 if you can and try to work it as a solid tempo effort. If it's an option, skate with someone faster than you that can push you. Hammer it out and see where the weak spots are, but don't panic if you find one. It will come together for the race.

One last thing, make sure you take the visor off of your helmet.
JT
speedysktr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2012, 05:04 PM   #3
K2Sk8er
Professional Bike Chaser

I definitely planned on skipping the leg workout on Friday - it's brutal... Thanks for the advice, that sounds doable. I'll probably skate Mon/Wed of that week; then on Thur/Fri take it easy w/ some swimming or elliptical - something that has no joint impact.

Why does everyone hate on my visor???

-Christine
Old April 9th, 2012, 07:18 PM   #4
theDonnybrook
Just trying to keep up

I am with the Prez on this one Chris. I typically only do cardio the week before a race, and nothing too extreme because I want to be ready to hit it hard come race day. Lighter skates early in the week, bike on Wednesday/Thursday, rest on Friday, and I am good to go Saturday morning.
Old April 9th, 2012, 08:16 PM   #5
speedysktr
President of Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by K2Sk8er View Post
Why does everyone hate on my visor???
I would hesitate to use the word hate, but I still might break down and say it. Visors are the mom-jeans of head protection.
Old April 9th, 2012, 10:22 PM   #6
K2Sk8er
Professional Bike Chaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedysktr View Post
I would hesitate to use the word hate, but I still might break down and say it. Visors are the mom-jeans of head protection.
ahhhhh ahahahah!!! ok ok, I'll take it off!!
Old April 10th, 2012, 02:20 AM   #7
theDonnybrook
Just trying to keep up

Chris, what are you doing for weights?
Old April 10th, 2012, 02:20 AM   #8
speedysktr
President of Everything

Quote:
ahhhhh ahahahah!!! ok ok, I'll take it off!!
And that, my fine skatizenry, is why I am the President of Everything.
Old April 10th, 2012, 02:26 AM   #9
PBLsQuad450

Hey K2, I'm no source, but in case you have yet to read them, both Publow and Eric Heiden have periodization tables. Individual results may vary, consult your physician before starting anything that requires rest, and good luck! You are kicking it!
Old April 10th, 2012, 03:45 PM   #10
bnumerick

It really depends on what your goals are for the race. I agree with what JT said for any race that you aren't trying to peak at. Since it's early I think we're assuming you're treating this as more a of "training" race rather than a "peak" performance race.

A couple things I'll add. You may want to take 1 extra day off training or do an extra lighter day. I don't think it'll make a big difference either way but just throwing it out there.

Also my day before routine usually consists of doing a little surge or build up workout. Basically every 2-3 minutes you do 15 seconds building up to a high speed then take another 15 seconds gradually easing back down. I do 5 or so sets of that. Helps get the motors ready to fire.
bnumerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2012, 04:08 PM   #11
speedysktr
President of Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnumerick View Post
It really depends on what your goals are for the race. I agree with what JT said for any race that you aren't trying to peak at. Since it's early I think we're assuming you're treating this as more a of "training" race rather than a "peak" performance race.

A couple things I'll add. You may want to take 1 extra day off training or do an extra lighter day. I don't think it'll make a big difference either way but just throwing it out there.

Also my day before routine usually consists of doing a little surge or build up workout. Basically every 2-3 minutes you do 15 seconds building up to a high speed then take another 15 seconds gradually easing back down. I do 5 or so sets of that. Helps get the motors ready to fire.
+1
Bill's day before routine was kinda what I had in mind for your last skate. You definitely don't want to completely chill in the days before. Keep moving. Make sure you get a good warm up the day of the skate. Get your HR going, break a sweat and don't overstretch. Stay loose.
Old April 11th, 2012, 04:17 AM   #12
K2Sk8er
Professional Bike Chaser

You are correct, my primary goal is to finish (without barfing or wiping out.) I'm still not 100% confident on the Bonts but I do feel pretty good for how early it is in the season. Just wanted to make sure I didn't do something stupid (like pull a quad) right before the race.
Old April 11th, 2012, 11:57 AM   #13
bnumerick

What's wrong with barfing?
Old April 11th, 2012, 01:57 PM   #14
speedysktr
President of Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnumerick View Post
What's wrong with barfing?
exactly!
Unless one has made some tragic mistake with their diet
(or liquids from the night before ), there is no shame
in working so hard, pushing yourself to the point of yakking.
I love it when I see someone barf. It works on so many
levels. It's funny, it's, it's...

...actually I guess it's just the funny part that works for me.

My favorite barf story was at A2A way back, when a guy
stepped out of the paceline, spewed a nice coffee hurl on
the shoulder and gets back in and keeps skating.

Poetry in motio.., ahem, Spewetry in motion.
Old April 11th, 2012, 04:18 PM   #15
K2Sk8er
Professional Bike Chaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by theDonnybrook View Post
Chris, what are you doing for weights?
I'm doing a hybrid mix of the P90X weight workouts, following the phases (phase 1 workouts for 3 weeks/recovery week - my own mix of cardio/core since I'm not a big fan of their cardio workouts.) then phase 2; etc. I've modified the workouts since I've completed the program and am more in a maintenance phase.

I am adding some hip abductor moves to my leg workout, since a friend of mine mentioned that I don't use my hips enough when I skate (she's actually a personal trainer/coach so I totally trust her opinions and advice.) She did say that overall my stride and technique look good - just need to open up a bit more.

the ONLY time I've ever barfed after a workout was the first time I did P90X. It was gross but apparently not uncommon... I've had an upset stomach after skating plenty of times but I think it's from the heat. I don't want to get barf on my nice new shiny suit...
Old April 17th, 2012, 04:01 PM   #16
K2Sk8er
Professional Bike Chaser

So far so good on the taper week; decided to do nothing that causes joint impact (so no running.) I took Sunday off, yesterday I did 30 mins on the elliptical and an upper body weight workout (chest/shoulders/triceps): I plan on a short skate tonight (10-15 miles) and hopefully one on Thursday (to scuff the new wheels - I ordered a set of Road Wars) then nothing Fri and Sat. (skipping my usual brutal leg workout.) Tomorrow I'll do weights (upper body - back/biceps) after 25-30 mins on the bike or elliptical. I feel pretty good, I've got the jitters but I'm really excited to see everyone and have a good time.
Old April 17th, 2012, 06:14 PM   #17
theDonnybrook
Just trying to keep up

K2S8er, what kind of Roadwars did you get, the regular or the turbo? The turbo is supposed to be a banded version of the regular. I would be interested to hear how they perform before and after the race. If I can get a set cheap, I would considering picking them up.
Old April 17th, 2012, 07:43 PM   #18
bnumerick

Quote:
Originally Posted by theDonnybrook View Post
K2S8er, what kind of Roadwars did you get, the regular or the turbo? The turbo is supposed to be a banded version of the regular. I would be interested to hear how they perform before and after the race. If I can get a set cheap, I would considering picking them up.
All Road Wars are banded I believe. The info on MPC's site says they patented it in 1997.

Quote:
1997, 30/7 (applied), 2000 (issued), Pat.6036278, “Multi durometer skate wheel”

Enter the modern MPC speed wheel, where the tire or ‘outer core’ is adapted to transmit energy to and from an inner core, and release this energy.
The inner core, the softer of the two materials, is adapted to enable controlled lateral flex of the wheel in response to non-radial loading.
The wheel allows the skater to take advantage of these characteristics, bringing an increased area of sidewall material into contact with the surface in a controlled manner.
MTECH™ You get more grip, more rebound, more usable energy return, and less wear.

The "turbo" has a larger band and stiffer hub from what I read this morning.

http://www.cadomotus.com/mpc-turbo-wheel-inside
Old April 17th, 2012, 07:47 PM   #19
bnumerick

Quote:
So far so good on the taper week; decided to do nothing that causes joint impact (so no running.) I took Sunday off, yesterday I did 30 mins on the elliptical and an upper body weight workout (chest/shoulders/triceps): I plan on a short skate tonight (10-15 miles) and hopefully one on Thursday (to scuff the new wheels - I ordered a set of Road Wars) then nothing Fri and Sat. (skipping my usual brutal leg workout.) Tomorrow I'll do weights (upper body - back/biceps) after 25-30 mins on the bike or elliptical. I feel pretty good, I've got the jitters but I'm really excited to see everyone and have a good time.
I'm doing shorter (30-45 minute workouts) but intense this week. Going to take Thursday (unless I get some time in the AM)/Friday off and probably will use the elimination race as my pre-marathon - get the lead out of your legs - workout since they're capped at 15 minutes. Now just to make it past the first lap. hah.

Who knows how I'm going to hit race day but hopefully my body is going to be feeling like making some people want to puke because that's one of my favorite past times.
Old April 17th, 2012, 08:13 PM   #20
K2Sk8er
Professional Bike Chaser

I'll be there to watch the elimination race but didn't sign up for it - I figured I'd probably be eliminated pretty quickly! haha!!

I got the firm 100mm road wars. nothing about turbo - although 'turbo' makes them sound pretty fast... I wanted to skate the Mayhem wheels but they haven't shipped yet. I should have the road wars tomorrow.

Another tweak I'm trying is ultra thin eZeeFit booties w/ hyper thin running socks. I have GOT to figure out a way to get a sock in those boots because it is GROSS.